We just finished our penultimate session of DnD with my group...

We just finished our penultimate session of DnD with my group. We spent the whole session fighting a boss that could bend reality, and was implied to know about the 4th wall.

A couple of sessions before, our DM asked us to email us a exact copy of our character sheets (he would later use the copies we sent him to print them off for us). We thought nothing of it, and went on.

The fight was amazing, and it turned into some of the best RPing I've seen. I won't waste your guy's time with details, but finally the boss went 'Final Form' mode. I was next in initiative, and went for an attack. I missed, and the DM claimed the boss basically reached into me, and pulled out a white ball. At that point, he took my character sheet and torn the item in two. The boss at the same time, torn the ball of light in two. The DM then said I was unable to move, or fight back, and I was basically a vegetable. Throughout this part of the fight, which took an hour, this basically ended up happening to every member. We all got pretty miffed and was pulling "What the hell, DM?" shit out.

We ended up being able to communicate with one another, and we actually forced ourselves back into existence. The DM handed us the sheets he copied off and we ended up beating the boss, long story short.

I run a seperate group, and would like to eventually do something like this, but I'm afraid the 'ripping' of the character sheets will cause people to rage. What do you think, Veeky Forums?

Also, awesome boss fights you've had with your group thread

bump

It will absolutely cause rage if your players don't trust you perfectly. Sounds like you guys really trusted him and it almost did anyway. This sounds really cool but it's almost always a bad idea to try shit like this.

This.
Don't pull it if any of your players have ever had anger management problems.

>At that point, he took my character sheet and torn the item in two.

Jesus Christ. I would have beaten the shit out of my DM.

I don't even know what it is, but there's something about that super smug fucking look on his face that I could imagine him making when he ripped up my sheet that makes me want to beat the living shit out of him.

Why not just tear the copy or take the sheet from the player for a bit. I would not take kindly to someone tearing my sheet up.

I think that's the point. It's emotionally manipulative, and can make even mildly invested people go from 0 to rage/despair in less than three seconds.

Why is Cestree such a goody-two-shoes?

Looking back, it added a lot to how cool the encounter was, but I was pretty close to being SUPER pissed at the moment, and so were a couple other players. Once he handed us the copies and it went on, we started to appreciate what happened.

The BBEG was built up this entire time as shifting reality the whole time, and subtlety hinting that the guy may of knew about the 4th wall and the fact he was in a game. It kind of acted like an 'OH SHIT' moment, but the rage kind of ruined it in the actual moment.

She's gameslut. She'll play anything with anyone, and will do whatever it takes to get a game going.
She is a gaming addict and is terrified of the prospect of people not wanting to play with her, so she tries to be as accommodating as possible.

Low self-esteem.

This sounds retarded and unearned.

Call me a faggot but everything I do is done through a system of some sort, at least partially, I create systems for a lot of meta stuff because of that.

I wouldn't allow my players to just "talk" and will themselves into existence nor would I allow my main boss to just take your powers away like that, it would be all decided by fate.

For example our Call of Cthulhu campaign basically ended with the evil players winning against the good players and world being on the brink of destruction now, hence why we are going full Cthulhu wars first and then Cthulhu punk hopefully if Earth somehow survives.

Sounds like a bold move from him. I dont see the point of it, unless for dramatic effect. But if you like it it's good.
Don't do it yourself though. Soumds like a way to be an ass. Also copycat

...Or she's just a nice person who likes her friends. Those exist.

Yeah, i mean. If you're playing with friends that have a degree of taste you can give them constructive feedback and get a good backstory next time.

How about you just go watch the Lego Movie with your friends?

This is why I keep a copy of my character sheet on my phone on Mythweavers.

Note; If he attempts tearing my phone in two physical violence WOULD ensue.

I wouldn't be able to play with Cestree as a GM.

I'd just oogle at her breasts and barely listen

If someone grabbed my phone and succeeded in ripping it in half with their bare hands, I don't think that's the person I would want to fight.

A while back in a short campaign, the main villain was a wizard that specialized in manipulating the mind. After finally tracking him down, the battle started with the DM collecting all of our character sheets, adding in the wizard's, and then randomly passing them out, holding onto one for himself.

The battle was a chaotic mess, because the wizard would be attacking us in one of our bodies, and as soon as we figured out each other's characters enough to subdue that body, the DM would collect and randomize the character sheets again.

When I ended up in the wizard's body, I asked the DM if I could initiate the exchange, but he said that while I could use any of the wizard's spells, abilities, or items, he had not prepared the special Mindscramble spell and it must have come from some other source.

We were getting pretty beat up and basically just hoping that eventually the wizard would randomly end up in the wizard's body again, but when one player got his hands on the wizard's character sheet, he noticed that he had the Familiar Spell feat, which allows his familiar to cast a particular spell. He then cast Dominate on the familiar, commanded it to release the spell, and we proceeded to beat the living tar out of the wizard.

It was pretty fun.

Interesting point.

>but the rage kind of ruined it in the actual moment.

I kind of like that the guy took a creative risk, but really, it's kind of obvious that it would just sort of piss people off rather than enhance the moment.

I take it you never subscribed to Boys Life?
Goofus and Gallant.

>'Nice person'
>Highly attractive but plays TTRPGs.
She's clearly an emotionally manipulative psychopath who puts on a charming personality in order to endear herself to the socially awkward losers she surrounds herself with.
In short, she can't feel good about herself unless everyone around her is of a lower social status.

Maybe she wants you to ogle her breasts, because if she's surrounded by pathetic creeps, she'll feel like a better person/semen demon in comparison?

I find that stereotyping to be highly offensive, detrimental to the community, and accurate.