Why are spears such shit weapons Veeky Forums? They are slower than swords they don't have the reach of a bow...

Why are spears such shit weapons Veeky Forums? They are slower than swords they don't have the reach of a bow, you can't fo shit with them in close combat. They are literally the worst weapon I can think of.

In this thread lets try and figure out a way to fix spears.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yari
youtube.com/watch?v=bKJSC_mteIg
youtube.com/watch?v=zpz5WgRlGLM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You have to name the system you're talking about, dummy.

And don't get me started on halberds, even slower, heavier weapons that are just as easily avoided! What a load of shit.

Spears are already easy to produce, simple to learn, and have better range than swords. Stack a bunch of mostly untrained peasantry together, tell 'em to point the pointy ends forward, and you've got a passable army. Even if you give them shitty wooden shields instead of real ones, you have a pretty badass shieldwall.

Bows, meanwhile, require training and need a lot of upper body strength to use properly. Swords do as well, not to mention they need to be maintained and forged, and have less range than a spear.

They're more economically viable.

Now, the thing is, spears aren't shit for close combat. They're also huge-ass quarterstaves if you're good enough. A smaller weapon would definitely be better, but here's the thing- you can learn to use both. Use your spear and shield with your wall, wait until the enemy's charge is done with, then use your sword at close range.

[test]

3.5 dnd. Sorry.

There is a reason samurai used swords and not spears. Spears suck. Everyone knows this already. You fix spears by making swords.

>spears such shit weapons
>slower than swords
>can't do shit in close combat
>the worst weapon
I wonder what makes you think so?

Samurai were originally horse archers and longbow considered more noble than a sword. Surprise surprise.

Spearmen have literally been the crux of every major ancient army up to and including the Middle Ages and early renaissance.
Like listed, it's easier(and effective) to have a bunch of untrained yokels pointing pikes forward then a fuckton of swordsmen rushing in to fight. Hence why spears where hard to deal with until the pike and shot battle method became popular

What if we put rocket thrusters in them, so that people could stab faster. Would that work?

>There is a reason samurai used swords and not spears.

Check this rad shit out, then.

"Oh but user, you pillow-biting cumslut," I hear you say, "that samurai guy has a sword, too."

Yes, that's true. That's one of the advantages of a sword, you can carry one around in addition to a better weapon, as a backup weapon.

Dude that's his walking stick, with pointy end so he can stick it in the ground at an angle and hang stuff from it when he stops moving for the day. You ignorant fucking fanboys.

>There is a reason samurai used swords and not spears.
Bows. Anything that wasn't arrows slung from bows accounted for around 10% of all fatalities in Japan.

>skull on a stick
>black armour

The edgiest

>shitty wooden shields instead of real ones
TRIGGERED

But polearms in 5E aren't that bad.
Especially with polearm master.

I've had a great time playing with fa/tg/uys. Pic related is probably more accurate to this guy's problem.

> a bow has any melee capacities beyond getting fucked up as you desperately block with it.
> "you can't fo shit with them in close combat"
10/10

...why am I even posting?

>. Even if you give them shitty wooden shields instead of real ones,
What?
Pretty much every shield in human history has been wooden.

Video games have taught him that the wooden shield is just the shitty placeholder until you get the steel shield with the Hyrule emblem on it.

Trying to fix anything in 3.5 is a fool's errand, user. It's a system built to be unfixable.

>Use your spear and shield with your wall, wait until the enemy's charge is done with, then use your sword at close range.
Or you could keep using your spear and not let them get close enough to have to use a sword in the first place.

You'll find that a very large number of them have been made from plastic

That's a yari, a straight spear.

No, stupid, it's a walking stick. God you fucking polearm fucks will say anything to save face. Fucking morons.

>can't face the truth about walking sticks with pointy ends
>posts image macro like it's worth a damn
destroyed

This is the shittiest bait I've seen in my entire life

Might as well post the link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yari

Its D&D
You are allowed to just move past things with longer reach.
There isn't any real difference.

But you still bit it.

>calling bait bait is biting it

Well by replying you're fulfilling the purpose of bait, which is "You"s.

So yes. Use your head.

Yes. Every single bait.jpg has been posted by someone taking the bait.

>it's easier to have a bunch of untrained yokels pointing pikes forward
It's actually not. It takes a ton of training to effectively march and fight in formation with polearms. The reason they're so prevalent throughout history is that you can train to be effective with them without actually going to war. That makes it the ideal weapon for militia and conscript infantry, who can drill for weeks or months or years before seeing combat, but will rarely have a meaningful number of veterans in the ranks.

Swords and long knives first become prevalent in warfare with the Roman Empire, who maintained a large professional army, with enough veterans that they could take advantage of the tactical flexibility of the sword. From then on, short swords and long knives were common among warlike peoples in the West until the advent of plate armor necessitated the increased leverage of pikes, halberds, and other polearms.

Uh, yes? That's how it works. Giving it ANY attention is biting it.

>inb4 this post was bait, too harhar durr pretending

Bows don't really have reach. That's not a term which applies correctly..

If you're talking 3.5 the thing with halberds in 3.5 is that you do double damage if you brace for a charge with them and a lot of monsters are the type with simple tactics that would just charge you if you let them. They are pretty good at the levels before you start having extra attacks, but after that point not so much. They really should have had reach though

It is because you play some shit game where you use core and play humans.

>Suntouched Spear
>not posting the superior model
shiggy diggy doo

Bows have the longest reach of any weapon. Except the katana.

But katana are short and have lousy reach even for sabers.

Actually katana have one of the longest reaches of any sword used by man. The fact that they folded the metal so many times to produce a blade that was sharp and strong enough to cut even other swords also helped but the main thing they had going for them was the curved bladewhich made it cut better than any otger sword, and its long reach

Come on, man.

The amount of counterfactual information in this head makes my brain feel funny.

Moar?

Its true if you don't believe it there are a lot of youtube videos about it. R. Lee Ermy does a great job of showing why the katana is superior in both forging and cutting ability.

Like what?

>edgelord spear that every edgelord 13 year old dropped 100K+25e on
>not the superior superior model

This thread makes me sad for some reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=bKJSC_mteIg

Get on my level.

>implying I was a richfag that could own one
>implying I wouldn't pair it with this on my male paragon

Heard you were talking shit.

and so instead I use pic related dyed pink

I like how the art direction for Guild Wars 2 is somehow even more over the top and nonsensical.

The worst part is that no other game seems to even want to borrow the amazing skill system from Guild Wars 1 and that Guild Wars 2 is apparently run by SJW's.

Yeah they're the "worst weapons" right up till you're facing an enemy cavalry charge. Try taking out a line of cavalry with sword wielding infantry and you're going to get your line punctured, archers are good against them for however many shots they can get off. But a good spear wall will almost always stop all but the most well organized and fervent of cav charges.

Yeah and he literally dies every time. Like a dog.

But that is completely wrong. The primary weapon from the late Roman period to the High Middle Ages was the spear. Knives and swords were always backups for most fighters.

I think you mispelled gladius.

youtube.com/watch?v=zpz5WgRlGLM

Yeah because cavalry charges actually happened that often. When the cavalry charge happens you line up your archers 5 deep and bury them in arrows. A spear is fucking useless in that situation.

Spears are basically always superior to swords in a duel. It's also very hard to split a spear with a sword.

Yeah, the gladius was the backup for the spear, not "knives and swords."

In D&D my dm let spears add +1 armor class to adjacent allies but not the user. This made the optimal play bricks of guys with spears.

It kinda worked.

wait a sec. How are spears slower than swords in D&D?

I think you are a faggot OP.

>ITT nerds that doesn't understand how combat or weapons works in practise and everything they know about them they learned from fiction or games

Have you tried not being eternally triggered bitch-anons?

Cavalry charges used to essentially be the equivalent of a fucking tank blitz, so yeah they happened any time an army was large and equipped enough to pull them off.

And again, archers against cavalry are only as good as the number of arrows they can get fired off in the time it takes the cavalry to close the distance. You might take out the first couple lines of a dedicated cav charge with a barrage of arrows, but realistically it's gonna work as well for you as it did for the potato headed orc in LOTR: You're gonna get some Rohirrim up your ass tonsils deep.

I love how not a single person in this thread knows what they are talking about.

Guild Wars was a great game, faggot.

Not really, the mechanics sucked and the storyline wasn't really anything to write home about. I did like necromancer but overall it was pretty meh tier.

Secret World is kind of similar

Jesus fuck this thread

>the mechanics sucked
I will PHYSICALLY FIGHT YOU

Except the Gladius was replaced by the Spatha in the Late Roman period and the spear was the primary weapon of almost everybody who was an actual fighter in Europe including the Late Romans until the 1300's.

So instead of imparting your superior knowledge you just shit on everyone and achieve nothing.

And given lots of people are posting factually correct things you are either stupid yourself or did not read the thread, which is it?

This is a shit thread. I can see why nobody would want to waste their time actually participating when they could just add more shit.

And late Roman period was the time when barbarian auxillaries replaced Italian legionaries and introduced their barbaric ways like longer blades and lack of discipline.

>I can see why nobody would want to waste their time actually participating when they could just add more shit.

I can't, only worthless assholes would even consider doing that.

And who cares if its a shit thread? Ignorance must be corrected wherever it shows up.

What if we take a bunch of people, like a BUNCH of people, give them all spears and big shields, and line them up in two rows so that the shields protect them, the guy next to them, and the guy behind them?

Oh you poor sweet summer child

>the mechanics sucked

Kill yourself.

Those'd better be THROWING spears, barbarian.

If this game was any good it wouldn't be dead now.

Nah man.

They could just march forward, menacingly, with their spears.

It'll be great, trust me.

What other MMO is there with a more advanced skill system and no mandatory grind?

Aion, warframe, ffxiv.

I hade played Aion. It was grindy as fuck and the skill system was a joke.

Not anymore, just doing storyline maxxes you out.

Except that samurais used bows and spears.
The katana was a ritual sword, and a backup weapon.

Except cavalry never charged into formations, that would be more wastefull than sending your spear formation to actually do some fighting instead of being protective walls.

Any report where the tactics were " We were incredibly organised and our enemy ran into our spears" is dickwaving by the nobleman/commanding officer who wrote it, soldiers dont usually write and all that. It started the "romans were slowly marching towards you and brutaly efficient" meme along with the overexagerating the power of the sword.

GW:EN was great. Areanet added a lot of fun endgame dungeons but instead of creating more content they abandoned it for GW2, a terrible, terrible game.

The game runs itself without human input It will never die.

I thought that Eye of the North was the weakest expansion out of the bunch with a bunch or copypasta dungeons.

Let's be a little more accurate