/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Von Winkelried Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/0827v9nhi65ynn9/Osprey - ELI 189 - European Medieval Tactics (2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/ltrrxb4d2bgkxpb/Osprey - MAA 094 - The Swiss at War 1300-1500.pdf
mediafire.com/download/jbnm8prrz1443g4/Osprey - MAA 166 - German Medieval Armies 1300-1500.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4851/civil-war-game-1863
ebay.de/itm/Wargames-Factory-28mm-Ashigaru-Yari-Troops-25-Japanische-Infanterie-/322156736701?hash=item4b0209b0bd:g:OAwAAOSwepJXZUET
plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axe_murder_incident
strawpoll.me/10711888
strawpoll.me/10711918
strawpoll.me/10711920
youtube.com/watch?v=8gUSq7pxux4
baka.com.au/comment/obituaries/nz-digger-called-in-howitzers-at-nui-dat-20100928-15vox.html
mediafire.com/download/hwsp20q2j0u6tbp/Osprey - ELI 103 - Australian & New Zealand Troops In Vietnam 1962-72.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=dTjvG4WJD_A
baka.com.au
nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10648292
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Ronin
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Hail Caesar! Late Antiquity to Early Medieval Army List
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Germany Strikes!
Bolt Action: Empire in Flames

July 9th in military history:

491 – Odoacer makes a night assault with his Heruli guardsmen, engaging Theoderic the Great in Ad Pinetam. Both sides suffer heavy losses, but in the end Theodoric forces Odoacer back into Ravenna.
660 – Korean forces under general Kim Yu-sin of Silla defeat the army of Baekje in the Battle of Hwangsanbeol.
1386 – The Old Swiss Confederacy makes great strides in establishing control over its territory by soundly defeating the Archduchy of Austria in the Battle of Sempach.
1701 – A Bourbon force under Nicolas Catinat withdraws from a smaller Habsburg force under Prince Eugene of Savoy in the Battle of Carpi.
1745 – French victory in the Battle of Melle allows them to capture Ghent in the days after.
1755 – The Braddock Expedition is soundly defeated by a smaller French and native American force in its attempt to capture Fort Duquesne in what is now downtown Pittsburgh.
1790 – The Swedish Navy captures one third of the Russian Baltic fleet.
1863 – The Siege of Port Hudson ends, giving the Union complete control of the Mississippi River.
1932 – The state of São Paulo revolts against the Brazilian Federal Government, starting the Constitutionalist Revolution.
1943 – The Allied invasion of Sicily soon causes the downfall of Mussolini and forces Hitler to break off the Battle of Kursk.
1944 – Operation Charnwood gives British and Canadian forces control of Caen north of the Odon and Orne rivers, as well as the Carpiquet airfield.
1944 – American forces take Saipan, bringing the Japanese archipelago within range of B-29 raids, and causing the downfall of the Tojo government.
1944 – Finland wins the Battle of Tali-Ihantala, the largest battle ever fought in northern Europe. The Red Army withdraws its troops from Ihantala and digs into a defensive position, thus ending the Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive.
1972 – The Troubles: In Belfast, British Army snipers shoot five civilians dead.

It is 630 years since the Battle of Sempach, fought between the forces of between the Duke of Austria Leopold III and the Old Swiss Confederacy. The battle was a decisive Swiss victory in which Duke Leopold and numerous Austrian nobles died. The victory helped turn the loosely allied Swiss Confederation into a more unified nation and is seen as a turning point in the growth of Switzerland.

During 1383-1384, the expansion of the Old Swiss Confederacy collided with Austrian interests. In 1385, there were various attacks, without formal declaration of war or central organization, by Confederation forces on several Austrian strongholds.

In January 1386, Lucerne expanded its sphere of influence by entering pacts with a number areas under Austrian control. This move was the immediate cause of war. A local Austrian force defeated the Confederate garrison at Meienberg, and Lucerne called the Confederacies for assistance. An armistice was called, but neither side had any interest in ending the conflict, and instead it escalated into a full-scale military confrontation.

Duke Leopold gathered his troops at Brugg, consisting of his feudal vassals, as well as mercenaries and the bourgeois forces of various towns. In the course of a few weeks, no less than 167 noblemen declared war on the Swiss. These declarations were sent to the Swiss diet in groups. On 24 June, a messenger brought 15 declarations of war. Before all letters had been read, another delivered eight, and before he had finished speaking, yet more were brought in. A further eight messengers arrived on the following day.

The gathering of Austrian forces suggested an intended attack on Zürich, and the Confederate forces moved to protect that city. But Leopold marched south, with the intention of ravaging the Lucerne countryside and perhaps ultimately the city itself. The Austrian army had a troop of mowers with them with the purpose of cutting down the corn and destroying the harvests along their route.

Leopold's men taunted those behind the walls of the town, and a knight waved a noose at them and promised them he would use it on their leaders. Another mockingly pointed to the soldiers setting fire to the ripe fields of grain, and asked them to send a breakfast to the reapers. From behind the walls, there was a shouted retort: "Lucerne and the allies will bring them breakfast!"

The Confederate troops marched back from Zürich once it became clear that this was not Leopold's target. The forces of Zürich had remained behind defending their own city, while those of Bern had not heeded the Confederate call for assistance.

The Confederation Army had assembled at the bridge over the Reuss River at Gisikon. It marched from there, hoping to catch Leopold still at Sempach where he could be pressed against the lake. Around noon, the two armies made contact about 2 km outside of Sempach. This was to the mutual surprise of both armies, which were both on the move and not in battle order. But both sides were willing to engage and formed ranks.

The Swiss held the wooded high ground. Since the terrain was not deemed suitable for a cavalry attack, Leopold's knights dismounted, and because they did not have time to prepare for the engagement, they were forced to cut off the tips of their poulaines which would have hindered their movement on foot. The Swiss chroniclers report how a huge pile of these shoe-tips was found in a heap after the battle.

The main body of the Confederation army finally completed its deployment from the marching column, formed up, and attacked the knights from the flank aggressively. The Austrian force formed a wide rank and threatened to surround the outnumbered Confederates.

How and at what point the battle turned in favour of the Confederates is a matter of debate. In any case, the Swiss did break through the Austrian ranks and routed the enemy army completely. Duke Leopold and with him a large number of nobles and knights were slain.

Traditional Swiss historiography since the 16th century has attributed the turning of the tide to the heroic deed of Arnold von Winkelried, who opened a breach in the Habsburg lines by throwing himself into their pikes, taking them down with his body so that the confederates could attack through the opening. Winkelried is usually explained as a legendary figure introduced to explain the Swiss victory against the odds, perhaps as late as a full century after the battle. The earliest evidence of the Winkelried legend is the depiction of the battle in the Lucerne Chronicle of 1513. The oldest accounts of the battle are unambiguous in the judgement that the Swiss victory was against all odds and expectations, and is attributed to the grace of God.

Not without justification, the Battle of Sempach came to be seen as the decisive turning point between the foundation of the confederacy as a loose pact in the 14th century, and its growth into a significant political and military power during the 15th century. At the peak of the military success of the Eight Cantons in the period of 1470 to 1510, Swiss historiography paid great attention to the Battle of Sempach. It is depicted in the Swiss illustrated chronicles of the period, and discussed by Reformation era historiographers such as Aegidius Tschudi and Wernher Steiner. Since there are few historiographical accounts of the battle predating 1470, it is difficult to judge the historicity of the individual details.

Sempach is a bloody and closely-fought battle, representing a shift in medieval warfare, and is definitely worth a turn on the tabletop.

mediafire.com/download/0827v9nhi65ynn9/Osprey - ELI 189 - European Medieval Tactics (2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/ltrrxb4d2bgkxpb/Osprey - MAA 094 - The Swiss at War 1300-1500.pdf
mediafire.com/download/jbnm8prrz1443g4/Osprey - MAA 166 - German Medieval Armies 1300-1500.pdf

I don't see it mentioned up there, but in last thread there was idea for each of us to make a small project and post them, due to 15 august. I don't know how to call it- ,,HWG Quaterly getting swtuff done" for now.

Subject of this very first edition- Casualty marker

It would be a shame to let idea die. Some people started already.

a bit of wargaming history.

Life magazine 1961

extremely rare. I know of only a couple issues still intact

later that year Parker Brothers would release a boxed version of the game

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4851/civil-war-game-1863

Damn, that's pretty fucking grog. I wonder who the designer was, they're uncredited.

I didn't think to mention it in the OP, but it's definitely still a thing as long as there are a few interested anons.

Hey /hwg/, help me understand sheathed swords.

When the scabbard is resting on the wielder's left hip, is it always unsheathed using his right arm or are there styles/methods that unsheathe it with the left?

Did people ever carry swords or daggers with the scabbard resting horizontally above their butt? I've seen it in multiple fantasy contexts but it's hard to find references for it when googling.

How would you base the loader?
Small round base or the large one like the gunner? Or maybe use an even bigger one and put both of them onto the same base?

Would it look like shit if i just glue a rifle onto the loaders back? Like there wouldn't be a strap or anything

Well if you're left handed you'd wear it on your right and draw with your left.

Hanging it across the ass though ain't exactly practical. I don't ever remember coming across it being a thing in my studies. Way more likely to find a dagger being carried up front behind a pouch than anything else.

Do the rules you're using treat the loader and gunner as seperate figures for casualty purposes, or no? If yes, base separately, if no, they'll look a lot better on one base.

You can always green stuff a strap on there to make it look better. If it's not something you've done before, making straps is pretty simple sculpting and it'll be good practice for more complicated reposes later.

You could just lay the rifle down on the ground next to him.

They are for BA mostly and might see use in 5 men too. So i guess i'll give each a separate base

Now that you mentioned it.. i ordered a pack of gs a while ago and never actually tried using it. It might be the perfect opportunity to use it.

> Would it look like shit if i just glue a rifle onto the loaders back?

What if you put the rifle on the ground next to him?

be nice to know. I should ask my buddy who has an issue to get some good scans of the magazine and go through it and figure out who designed it.

in other news my buddy who owns the game company in Poland is getting closer to releasing his first computer game. First game is covering Bulge and has 6 scenarios so far with more in development.

That looks very Panzer General.

That is going to happen if the GS tries won't prove successful.

I always try to keep minis on their own bases, purely for simplicity. Unless it's like the loader holding onto the belt that he's feeding into the machine gun, at which point it makes more sense for them to share the base. For those I have little tokens I can use to mark how many models are dead on the base.

Battlegroup.

Where can I find stats for things like K-guns, FG42s, Stg. 44, etc.? There's units equipped with them, but I can't find anything about what their stats are.

I put my MMGs on one base, LMGs on 2 separate bases, except when I pose stuff like pic related.

This seemed to be a clever way to shoot with an lmg, but why did only the germans do it? Is there a reason for that?

Googling "human bipod" does give examples of non-WW2 Germans being used for stable platforms. I'd wager, and this is just me speculating, it has something to do with the build of the weapon. Things like Bren guns and BARs have grips and can be fired by a single operator with their two hands. And they have a slower rate of fire, which could help to control them.

Germans, however, did not have such LMGs and instead have the MMGs. It's quite possible the rate of fire and the lack of a grip meant it was not easy to control. So for a quick setting up another trooper simply grabbed the bipod and provided a quick platform to fire off a few bursts before moving again without the hassle of getting the gun into position, etc. It's also possible the position gave the gun a higher stance, so it could be shot over obstacles and grass in between you and the target.

> that pic
> bipod
> for a camera

he could have gripped the bipod though

It's at the tip of the gun, though. Hard to shoulder the gun and hold onto it.

i meant like pic related.

But if the pic above isn't staged then he is most likely firing just a small burst before running to the next cover since holding the barrel like this will prevent firing for a longer time anyway.

>i meant like pic related.

But as you'll note, he's firing from the hip, while when firing with the gun on someone's shoulder, it's shouldered. It's a stable platform for more accurate firing then just spraying the general postal code of the target.

damn fallschirmjaeger look so cool.

Anyone have any of the Lock n Load line of fire magazine pdfs? Some of the scenarios could be repourposed for tabletop

First, a sheath is floppy, a scabbard is stiff. They are not the same thing.

Usually you'd draw from the opposite side so you can draw your sword more easily from a longer movement of the arm and pulling away with the opposite hand. That's why swords are often seen dangling from the belt, too.

Blowing your buddies eardrums out would be one reason.

>resting horizontally above their butt?

> across the ass

It makes sense (in fantasy environment) if you want to hide your dagger. Kinda like putting it into the sleeve or the boot. Not very practical, but hidden. It also is supposed to look cool (Bronn from GoT comes to my mind for example).

And the germans didn't cared about the ability to hear or what are you trying to say?

I'm saying that guns are fucking loud and having one going off near your ear will deafen you. Even troops today don't wear earplugs as it hinders your ability to communicate.

When i first opened the box of these Wargames Factory Soviets the simplistic looking rifles were kinda bothering me. But now after building almost all of the minis together i really start to like them.
Now i'm sad that Warlord Games apparently bought the rights to distribute the WGF stuff and that they probably won't re-release the WW2 boxes.

I'm annoyed because I wanted the WGF ashigaru and Warlord Games have got nothing about it on their website.

They are still available from several stores on ebay i guess. I just checked and found a seller with both the melee and ranged version.
ebay.de/itm/Wargames-Factory-28mm-Ashigaru-Yari-Troops-25-Japanische-Infanterie-/322156736701?hash=item4b0209b0bd:g:OAwAAOSwepJXZUET

I've definitely seen daggers drawn from a horizontal sheath on the back in historical drawings. This is how we simulate drawing daggers in HEMA as well.

>1961

Holy fuck, my father wasn't alive back then.

I guess both of them will be available at one point - if you buy an entire company's range to sell, especially if it's in plastic, it's idiotic not to sell everything again, even if you have something similar (or exactly the same) in your range already.

I somehow can't see it. They have 2 boxes of plastic soviets, 2 boxes (a 3rd one coming soon) of americans and 3 boxes with germans.
I can't see how they can add a cheaper box for each nation than their own.
Well, they could increase the price of the WGF boxes to match theirs.. but then they lose their attractiveness. As nice as they are, Warlord (newer) Plastics are superior.

Happens quite often actually. Tons of old kits disappeared into the void. Remember the Bandai 1/48 kits? There were lots of interesting tanks in that scale but they aren't produced any longer.

Check the price on the already re-released kits from ACW. Or ask them directly, they kinda responsive, plus prolly have a huge stock of WGF Soviets.

Not as often in Wargaming tho.

Because the usage of plastic in wargaming is a rather new development.

LAV-75

A strip of paper coated in white glue would work if you don't have any putty. Might be harder to get it t o contour to the figure though

Could do a large base with a little circle cutout to hold the loader so he can be removed separately but together they form a little vignette. Otherwise could just put a marker indicating the combined base is down to 1 guy left

BMP-2

>then set their own booby traps for the VC
One interesting thing LRRP's did was take captured boxes of shells (mortar/cannon), rig a couple to detonate on firing, then drop them off along the Ho Chi Minh Trail. When a supply group went thru they would just think it got dropped and would pick it up and deliver it. The face of the gook wondering why his mortar just exploded taking out him and his crew...priceless.

>1961
>Holy fuck, my father wasn't alive back then

Stop making me feel old, my Dad was class of 1965

they did the same with just bullets too, would load some sabotaged ones into captured AKs then drop then over the jungle for the VC to pick up

Project Eldest Son, wasn't it?

Nice models, but by hell there feels like a lot of purple / pink light in this image!

Cheap 1:72!!

44 German soldiers for 1200yen! (Revell)

So, Airfix, revell, tamiya 1:72. How interchangeable and mixable are the different manufacturers between men and machines etc?

Neede some 1:72

>How interchangeable and mixable are the different manufacturers between men and machines etc?
Completely. You can even use 1:76 and no one will notice unless they right next to a 1:72 of the exact same model.

1:72 is a based scale for cheapness, especially with the italieri double fast-build kits, and the Plastic Soldier Companies 3 X tank kits (which are based af - T-34s come with /76 AND /85 turrets)

was that being played on a mattress?

Siberian-tundra-interior-decoration-dust-cover of win or something.

Cheers. Not only that they have real wide range of historical eras too.

I'm starting to feel real old now that all the new girls entering porn are starting to have birth dates after 1996. Fuck, people that were born the same year half life came out are legal adults now for christ sake

On a full bed with blankets / pillows. Allows for realistic hull down positions where tanks can hide, and for artillery to easily hide way at the back of the map out of line of sight. Sometimes we take everything off and play on a flat table, but we've grown accustomed to rolling hills and it works pretty well to add an element of 3D to the "tabletop"

we call that specific white gaming sheet the semen-stained wasteland There has never been any semen on it though, sadly.

We're playing Ostfront here btw. I think it was a 150 point mid-war game

this table/terrain is giving me cancer

Yeah we're more gamers than terrain makers. I tend to put the absolute minimum into my WW2 minis, and spend most of my time researching, playtesting and writing the rules. The Wehrmacht in those photos aren't mine, they're my buddies who actually puts in effort and bases and paints his infantry.

Have some Chemo for your cancer!

Some are even posting in this thread.

I was born in 95 senpai

'96 here

1994 represent.

1993 here
all later years are not as good, 1994 is aight though.

go to plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx and check the different boxes for yourself. Re-boxing happens alot there.

You might be amazed how many girls appreciate the hobby. Not out of a sudden interest for military or history but simply because of the painting/building.

Isn't rolling dices on a "3D"-board really annoying though?

Oh wow, you guys just were in elementary school when we oldfags discovered Veeky Forums.

>Isn't rolling dices on a "3D"-board really annoying though?
not gonna lie, it can be. The suspense of a really important roll and the dice just keeps rolling down the hill, 6s flashing before your eyes....

Had some girls turn up a couple months ago while we were setting up for an NZwars game. ended up playing some skirmishes with them, it was hilarious, they enjoyed getting some 1 shot fatal hits with muskets. I saw a girl playing FoW at a tournament once too.

Also there's no semen on the sheet because its only for gaming purposes, it lives in the terrain box

>it lives in the terrain box
The semen?

I'd love me some qt girl who likes wargaming, but first I'd be happy with one who likes me ;_;

1975 chuckles at the back. Newfags.

1986 here. My year has better disasters than yours. Chernobyl, Challenger.

I started lurking at 14 back in 2004. I feel a mixture of old and disappointed that I'm still here.

Don't worry user, there's someone out there for you
just kidding, we'll all die alone. At least we have our armies

>not using a dice tray
Between that and literally playing on a bed it's like you're trying to give me an aneurysm, user.

oh yeah, poor 1986 it has your birthday too! ^_^

As a '76er I turned 40 this year and I've been fascinated in flashing back to the military history of that era. All the mercenary stuff in Africa, Lebanon, Western Sahara, the coup in Argentina, Central America falling apart, urban terrorism literally exploding, the horrors of the Third Cod War - it's the world I originally knew. That's part of the reason I chose the Luanda Trial and Entebbe as thread starters recently. Next month sees the anniversary of the Axe Murder incident in Korea, when two American officers were killed by North Korean soldiers while attempting to chop down a tree on the DMZ.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axe_murder_incident

i'm born in 86 too. May even.

I just have to assume /hwg/ is one of the only places on Veeky Forums with such high average age.

I remember watching the Falklands conflict as a kid. Ark Royal man.... Jump jets. Fucking jump jets!

the earliest conflict i remember from tv was turks vs kurds, grosny and then balkan stuff.

Fucked up with the sand and had to redo it (and scrape it off the figure. Need to pick up some PVA glue today.

Also paints. All the paints.

At the bottom of the back is a great place to have a dagger - it doesn't get in the way and you can pull it out quite easily when it comes to grappling.

It was depicted pretty frequently during the renaissance. I don't know about other time periods.

Devil captures a soldier by Urs Graf, 1516

those balls

Hey fellow sengoku-fag.
The Ashigaru, samurai and mounted samurai are on their webstore, but they're sold at 4/5gpb / 6.50/8usd a sprue.

So at the moment considering ashigaru you'd be paying around 35us for a box that used to cost 20ish.
Mounted samurai are 16usd for 5.

For me, anyways, at that price, they're no longer worth it. I've decided to just bite the bullet, finish what I've got, and do the rest Perry.

IMPORTANT POLLS

SCALE
strawpoll.me/10711918
PERIOD
strawpoll.me/10711920

IMPORTANT POLLS

BOF remembering fall of Saigon on TV, also getting up in the night to see the moon landing...
>pic not related

Mostly because they are just single sprues, not boxed sets. Hopefully they'll do a rebox of them - not that I need 28mm Samurai, but I might grab a single box for conversions and shit (some Mishima samurai or something).

Wait for their "-50% on sprues" sale that is happening twice (i think) per year.

>strawpoll.me/10711920

I'm not a big fan of the samurai box. It's a pretty early WGF kit and has a lot of issues compared to the later ashigaru kits.

Maybe? To be honest, I wasn't too impressed by the WGF Japanese that I do have outside of the price/quantity ratio.
That and since I mostly play Ronin with the Japanese minis, I no longer need boxes of ashigaru

Well there was an "Ear Battalion" that fought in Berlin composed of soldiers who had been previously discharged due to hearing loss and damage.

Born in 81. I still remember hearing a news broadcast when I was young about "gorilla fighters" shooting up Beirut. I had nightmares for years about heavily armed simians running through the streets.

Then there was my parents watching a wall covered in graffiti being torn down and crying with joy. I had no idea why. Same year I saw a man standing in front of a tank, and my parents crying again, but this time they were sad. I still had no idea what was happening.

> mfw one day I'll be showing what an oldfag I am because I remember 9/11 and the millenium.

Nice little documentary / Mock up of the battle of Long Tan for the Namfags out there.

youtube.com/watch?v=8gUSq7pxux4

Australian units heavily outnumbered by NVA forces.

Thanks! I need to get back to the 'nam mood at one point, but can't really paint the Vietnamese as I ran out of plastidip and can't order till August. Plus no T-55s either.

Worst thing was, after basing the US platoon, I picked up the Esci Vietnamese box, opened it, looked at them for a good 5 minutes, then put them back, and did this at least twice a day. Can't really bear myself to actually start on them yet.

RIP Morrie Stanley

baka.com.au/comment/obituaries/nz-digger-called-in-howitzers-at-nui-dat-20100928-15vox.html
mediafire.com/download/hwsp20q2j0u6tbp/Osprey - ELI 103 - Australian & New Zealand Troops In Vietnam 1962-72.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=dTjvG4WJD_A

>baka.com.au
Oh shit, the initials for Sydney Morning Herald get filtered! Try this link

nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10648292