Yu-gi-oh

I always see a lot of MTG threads on here, so I figured I'd ask what does Veeky Forums think of yugioh?

If you like what what's your favorite card?

If you hate it then why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cp4fxe75810
youtube.com/watch?v=kdS1TA3Cbfw
youtube.com/watch?v=bTZsbpUCkLA
yugiohtopdecks.com/card/Enemy Controller
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Used to love it 10-12 years ago.
Then I fell out of playing it, then a bunch of synchro/xyz shit happened and I felt it changed the game so badly I could never get back into it.

>changed the game so badly
they didn't change much just made the game faster

For yugioh check vg. Duelling network has a general.

Games fun.

They just showed off the new archtype today, it's a rock based flip archtype.

My favorite as a kid was always Exarion Universe. Thing was kickass for a drop you didn't have to sack for.

>Then I fell out of playing it, then a bunch of synchro/xyz shit happened and I felt it changed the game so badly I could never get back into it.
I think this is how many of us feel.

The problem is a faster game makes every archetype feel like they all play the same way, clearing out the field/stopping the opponent from exploding in your face, comboing out as hard as possible and winning on that turn or two later.

The game goes through fast/slow formats. Currently we're in a pretty fast format, if Konami hits the top decks things will slow down and diversify again. This meta is just stale as fuck because we've been stuck with Kozmo/Monarch/Pepe/BA for about 6 months or more at this point and theyre all cancer.

The game does have diverse decktypes (PSYFrame is pure monoblue control, Gravekeepers are lockdown/stun) but theyre not in the limelight currently. The horizon has some new interesting decktypes coming soon.

I was gonna get back into it but then Pendulum Summoning happened and I was like 'Fuck that noise'

used to play Yugioh. Got out when Dragon Rulers became THE deck to play in the meta.

I feel like the power creep is obscene, and often the newest mechanic introduced just makes everything else obsolete (synchro, xyz, pendulum).

Good thing about it though is that at least they reprint stuff often, so its not like you'll have $3000+ decks floating around that have cards that will never be reprinted ever again.

Also the games are pretty fun

Was a good game for a while but went downhill after Invasion of Chaos started the power creep train and never stopped. The game is simply too fast to even be meaningfully called a game anymore. You look at your top 6 cards and if you pop your combo then you win; if not you lose.

We've seen that they're perfectly capable of balancing all the summoning types amongst each other for a while now. They just choose not to and go through cycles of what they want to push. Right now Xyz are on the downlow while Synchros and Pendulums are the in thing, with some fusions and Xyz (due to sheer efficiency and lack of any opportunity cost to use them) sprinkled in.

Also I make this sound bad but it's actually natural and not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. It's fine to allow the power of each thing to flux back and forth. It's also much easier to balance. Yugioh just isn't very good at incorporating the checks and balances for the thing they want to push, though they've been getting better at recently. Pendulums were also a pretty poor mechanic since it's hard for it to be good without being broken since the main ways to make it good are A) lots of searching and B) lots of floating which are some of the hallmarks of most broken decks in the game.

Definitely my ace card

ITT:a grandpa that can't adapt to a game that fucking children have no problems playing

All I know is that Relinquished was the coolest, scariest fucker around.

That card is still legit good, albeit not for how tough it is to get out. It basically requires spot removal to take out, because when it hits the field you'll be taking their best beater away, so they can't beat it in combat unless they manage to get out something even stronger than, if you played the card with good timing, one of the strongest in their deck. Plus, even if they do manage that, they still need a spare attacker to blow it up.

If it just had some way to protect itself from spot removal, it would be 10/10.

Scarier card

I started playing against despite being put off by pendulum and they don't bother me that much. I enjoy how fast the game has gotten

Most of the best monsters currently aren't affected by his absorption and all it takes is 2 stronger monsters to walk over him, or an mst and an attack. He's shit and only good if you summoned him with the djinn lock, which is banned.

This guy is actually still sorta good however, because you can instant fusion him. Then if you want to use him you can reborn him and use him as normal.

The current mass nostalgia support is very fun. You can finally play all of your favorite Battle City petdecks.

Pretty good guy.

DORO

Oh sure he is, if I could read what he does.

>this overcomplicated rng bullshit

That's actually pretty good.

>he

The point was, your image is for ants, yugioh has awful formatting, and I have no idea what I was looking at. Get out of here with your one line of lazy greentext.

Best one

Bruh, that monarch has tits, tits that even my blind, glasses wearing self can see.

I used to play it physically when it first came out and I still play the video games when they come out on handhelds. But my big issue with it is the fact that despite the game being out for quite some time they have made little to no effort in making the cards more readable.With every other TCG as the game matures the text gets more readable and organized but YGO just makes longer poorly formatted paragraphs with smaller text which makes it really hard to just pick up a card and see what it does. Look at mtg for example this is a card from one of its first expansions.

and here's the most recent printing. same effect but much more cleanly worded.

That triggered me. OG control magic is also awful to read. Keywords are objectively superior.

I can just say haste, trample, doublestrike, lifelink in one line without blathering on and on about what normal abilities do. Peirce damage in yugioh always pisses me off with how it's written.

Oh, this isn't the same issue. Yugioh's wording has gotten more clear and concise over the years if that's what you mean. The TCG was the first to take especial strides towards that, and OCG picked up a different system to do so as well. It's the effects themselves more than the way they are written.

yep its my only really issue with YGO is that its really hard to figure out what some of the cards do because of the combination of tiny text and no real spaces or proper breaks between effects.

yugioh would really benefit from more keywords

We need more Alphabet Machines.

or anything that would let them make the text bigger. I have to squint and read stuff 3+ times to figure out what some cards do. It's really bad with pictures online because if they are even slightly undersized the text becomes unreadable.

they've taken steps in the ocg to try and make it more concise. Why the tcg hasn't adopted some of the methods is beyond me

youtube.com/watch?v=cp4fxe75810

Because tewart and julia.

The TCG was the first to do it with PSCT. The OCG was the one who follow suit with a totally different method.

Do you mean archetype?

He said they changed it and made it worse, and your response is "children play it!"?

Liked it like 10 years ago but the powercreep/balancing issues are very obvious and everyone used to run the same deck. They basically had to ban all the cards people used. Have no idea what the games like now, don't really care. Stopped watching the anime years ago. I play mtg now. More people to play with, more formats, more cards, better balancing and more diverse deck types. Sorry not sorry.

>Oh sure he is, if I could read what he does.

>You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 1 Tribute Summoned monster. If this card is Tribute Summoned: You can send 2 "Monarch" Spell/Trap Cards with different names from your hand and/or Deck to the Graveyard, and if you do, Special Summon 1 monster with 2400 or more ATK and 1000 DEF from your Deck, but return it to the hand during the End Phase. During your opponent's Main Phase, if this card is in your hand: You can banish 1 "Monarch" Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard; immediately after this effect resolves, Tribute Summon this card (this is a Quick Effect).

Every time I use a Yang Zing deck against Monarchs, I have to get pic related out so that Light & Dark effects can't be activated. It doesn't save me from Stormforth though.

Good lord, you see THIS is why I play Magic, at least the cards there actually have text that doesn't require a microscope to be read properly.

Have you seen the new Yang Zing synchro? It's pretty fucking broken

How can it be worse if fucking children have no damned problems with it, you idiots would probably get stomped by fucking dragon duelists, aka literal middle schoolers.

Hope you're ready to make love to your savior Donglong and Metalfoes.

>Etb search a yang zing
>Dies summon a yang zing
>Low level
>Synchro tuner
>GENERIC
They tried really really fucking hard to make this card good.

>how can it be worse if fucking children have no damned problems with it
retard

How to trigger magic players

Post the synchro pendulum.

That's ridiculous:
>can only summon it in incredibly specific circumstances
>it can kill up to 2 target creatures below level 7
>AND if it does, it deals 1000 lifepoints of damage
>AND THEN you get three separate attacks during combat
>AND EVEN MORE you can dump it right back into where it came from if it's destroyed
That triggered me on 10 different levels.

Nah, it's easy to shit out, actually using the effect is a bit harder.

youtube.com/watch?v=kdS1TA3Cbfw

Pretty good.

Pendulum effect:
(1) If your Pendulum Monster attacks, that monster is not destroyed by battle, and battle damage you take as a result becomes 0.
(2) At the end of Damage Step of your Pendulum Monster’s attack: Until the end of the turn, all monsters your opponent controls lose ATK equal to that attacking monster’s ATK.
Materials and Monster effect:
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Synchro Monsters
If you would Synchro Summon this card, You can treat 1 Pendulum Summoned Pendulum Monster you control as a Tuner.
(1) If this card is Synchro Summoned using a Pendulum Summoned Pendulum Monster as the Tuner: You can target 1 card in your Graveyard: Add that card to your hand.
(2) If card is destroys an opponent’s monster by battle: You can halve your opponent’s LP.
(3) If this card in the Monster Zone is destroyed (by battle or card effect): Place this card in a Pendulum Zone.

What next an Xyz/Synchro/Pendulum monster? Union Pendulums? Union Synchro and Union Xyz?

Those are subtypes so those arent too hard, we technically have some of them already.

Wait really? Man I am out of touch...What ones do we technically have?

I already play a Metalfoe & Yang Zing deck. they work well together, pendulum summoning Yang Zing & destroying them with the effects of the pendulums.

All you need are two level 7 dragons.

Played the shit out of every archetype of Light of Destruction. Then left for a while, and when I tried to come back there were cards of like 3 new different colours so i noped out.

Hmm, so I guess a trio of Alphabet Machine Xyz Union monsters wouldn't be too hard to pull off, would it?

DIO!

That Heads ability actually fits Za Warudo rather well.

Burner viser is kind of an xyz union
Armory arm too

youtube.com/watch?v=bTZsbpUCkLA

Has anyone on Veeky Forums cause soemthing like pic related?

Enemy Controller

yugiohtopdecks.com/card/Enemy Controller

This this is probably one of the best cards in the game and has remained relevant for pretty much every year since release.

and although Pyramid energy and a few others came before it, it also reinforces the point that Magic got modular cards in a decent format 12+ years after yugioh

So what I gather from this is that any oldschool deck is going to be absolutely steamrolled on their first turn?

Depending on banlist. Some older cards like Heavy Storm haven't come off the banlist yet.

Full power old meta decks can usually hold their own in the current meta.

If you mean starter deck yugi then yes you will get steamrolled. But thats like expecting a intro deck from 1993 mtg to hold up to legacy.

They just got more support a little while ago actually

I've been playing and having fun with ghosttricks lately. I especially like this card.

Why are text boxes so fucking small !!!

They're trading cards which you can physically hold up to your eyes.

What keywords can they really add? Hexproof is one, and they already added excavate.

Anyways I still believe in TRAINS.

I am so hyped for TRAINS next month

... Even though we dont have knight express knight

At least number 81 is here.

TCG STILL doesn't have Night Express Knight? What the fuck

It was a promo for the DS Duel Carnival game. It was only released physically in Austrailia I think so nowhere else got them and it's illegal to play outside of there.

Well no shit but TCG can release promos in different ways, such as imports in main sets.

That's not how you play the deck.

That was always yugioh. You never played competitive.

I mean the squinting is a problem, but if you need to read a card more than once then you just have poor reading comprehension. That's kind of a 'you' problem.

No. Synchro and Xyz can't mix, and Union is restricted to maindeck cards. The only reason it works with pendulum is because pendulum has no specified summoning requirements in and of itself.

>I always see a lot of MTG threads on here, so I figured I'd ask what does Veeky Forums think of yugioh?

It's shit. Literally shit. Quit creating this kind of thread.

Yeah.

I like nearly unstoppable boss monsters.

It was pretty hot shit growing up. Everyone I knew played it. Then it dropped in popularity either because kids got older or because the game was getting too stupid. Only people who play it around here now are hispanics and autists.

As for me, I play it on occasions. Though it gets annoying having to relearn everything because of Konami's forced rotation bullshit and the amount of powercreep they do on a regular basis. My go-to has always been Fluffals these days though but it pales in comparison to Kozmos, which I think is the hot shit right now.
>le play 3000 card for literally little cost what so le ever
I wouldn't be playing Magic now if I hadn't been exposed to it before, so I have to give it credit for something at least.

I love the game but this current format is absolute cancer right now, I'm on hiatus until shit gets better.

Hopefully the banlist hits soon before Nats and makes the game bearable again.

Oh god yes. A couple years ago I actually managed to make a decent deck with three copies of pic-related that used trap monsters and Exodius to spam Rank 4 and 10 XYZ monsters.

Can't even remotely keep up with even casual decks now of course, but it was super-fun while it lasted.

I ran that shit with fairy box and it was hilarious. Now with Temple of the kings and new trap monsters I have to try it again.

You can still make it work with stuff like this though. Konami releases lots of unstoppable boss monster support.

Oh yeah, that thing. It's pretty good with malefics, too. Didn't run it with Uria though, since I tried to minimize the number of non-trap cards it had. Uria, Exodius, and the yellow red and green gears were the only non-trap cards I ran in the main deck, if I'm remembering right.

Eh, the phantom gods were always pretty shit god cards desu. I'd rather just run a normal God deck, especially with all the support theyve gotten now.

>it can kill up to 2
as many as possible is up to 5

I tried decks with the other two, and found they just plain didn't work since, well, they sucked.

More often than not, I just used it as a "free" level ten (By saccing some Call of The Haunteds and Trap Monsters) along with Exodius or Metal Slime to make Gustav Max.

CHO

KOI

KOI

Fair enough

I played a whole lot a decade ago which was a fairly shitty game.You started with mindless beatdown which gave way to OP Chaos/Yata and the Ban list meant that Chaos just got slowly filtered out because they werent smart enough tto fucking ban it outright.Archtypes they tried to create failed due to bad design and usually just supported whatever was the single metadeck at the time ie a god awful "Frog" deck [That wont be made playable for years] releases a card that supported the dominate Monarch decks. Nothing seemed to really work eve if there were some neat concepts hopping around

They got better though. Some of the old folks complained about stuff like Synchros/XYZ but what the FUCK did you do before them that was so special? You either played the one possible metadeck or got shitstomped by anyone that was playing Chaos/Goat/Monarchs so dont feed me that crap

I think things wre really good during the Zexal era when I started really playing again. I had to do some catching up but the game was amazing compared to what I left behind.I had a blast and really loved Madolche like any Veeky Forums pedo autist. I think things began a downturn when the Spellbooks and then Dragon Rulers came out where it became about selling a dominate metadeck for the quarter then banning the old one rinse wash repeat. Pendulum was not thought through at all and magnifies power creep by its very nature. I dont see muchsettling down and the game seems to be in a break neck "Win in one turn" state that isnt due to a single problem deck but due to the pace of the game itself being pushed to that level