Be me

>be me
>forever GM
>despite nearly 2000 hours on Roll20, all of my Roll20 campaigns have turned to shit due to toxic player base
>give up on playing with random strangers
>reconnect with high school friends on Facebook
>suggest we play D&D again like in high school
>Friend 1 says "Sure!"
>Friend 2 says "Sure!"
>Friend 3 says "Sure!"
>everything_went_better_than_expected.png
>start working very hard on campaign
>message the group every day
>"Have you guys thought about what kind of character you'd like to play?"
>Friend 1 is very eager, develops an archer ranger who is a bit of a trophy hunter but the PC is also looking for meaning in their life and is trying to find the right god or religion to serve
>genuinely excited
>come up with a character arc for Friend 1 involving the God of the Hunt and the PC eventually becoming a cleric / paladin of the God of the Hunt and devoting their hunting skills to tracking evil monsters and shit
>Player 1 loves the idea, everything is wonderful
>Player 2 never responds
>Player 3 never responds
>days go by
>Players 2 & 3 never respond
>weeks go by
>Players 2 & 3 never respond
>my birthday comes
>Players 1, 2 and 3 all send me "happy birthday" text
>no mention of the D&D game

why do i even waste my time on this fucking hobby

>>be me
It's already shit, don't even need to read the rest.

thanks for the feedback, pal

>be me
>the only common factor
>in a 2000hr shitshow
>join me dots

Can't Join Dots.mp3

wow, since when is Veeky Forums some kind of /v/-tier garbage? both of you go fuck yourselves

I'm in a similar situation right now, op
my group hasn't met up to play in like 6 months now because our last GM can't be assed to call us back and every time I propose to GM a game i get bursts of excitement that last for 5 hours at most

We're not /v/, which means we don't have to tolerate retards.

have you tried having real friends?

Screw roll20. Uninvested ass holes screw up games all the time.

>why do i even waste my time on this fucking hobby

Because when compared to the empty mundanity of video games, or the amusing yet rigidity of a conventional story such as a book or movie, you long for the enjoyment of being among creative and interesting people, playing a game where you invent an interesting story, being neither quite authors nor quite audiences, but a blend of both, experiencing the surprise and uncertainty of an audience, yet enjoying the capacity for creative input as an author.

It's an enjoyment unlike any other, which is why you'll never free yourself of that pit in your stomach that aches to be fulfilled.

I know that feel, fampai. It is an incredibly unfortunate existence.

You will find your dream group one day. You just gotta believe.

It isn't good for the DM to be the one suggesting play. Think of the dungeon challenges you build as an endeavor entirely separate from any party or play. Build them, refine them, and when you meet someone who really wants to play, you'll be ready. Especially if you build a solo adventure and then this Player 1 bugs you to play.

Track them down IRL and threaten to beat them until they make their god damn fucking characters because I swear to god Jimmy if you delay the group one more fucking day I

In-person or bust. Never put stock in online play.

Because this hobby is about playing with people, not preparing everything that will come to them.

Of course, your campaign shall be prepared, but you just had it coming to prepare so much things before playing even once.
First thing you should do instead of planning should be playing.

>since when is Veeky Forums some kind of /v/-tier garbage?
I'd say around the time filename threads started appearing.

I SERIOUSLY hope you and player 1 are playing your game, user. Fuck friend 2 and 3 - play with the one who wants to play.

> want to offer to play with OP
> may not like op and not want to play with them but then would feel obligated to so I don't send him into a suicidal depression

dont message people every day, especially if they seem shaky. its called fatigue, people who aren't grognards get it.

While I feel for you OP, don't take Roll20 time at face value.

If you leave that shit open after your session you can get hours of extra time racked up on accident.

Yeah, shit players are shit. Guy 1 sounds OK at least.

And the saddest thing I find is the clever solutions you find or think up never work with dedicated non dedicated players. Only thing I found that worked was "no sheet, no game" and a large player base. Tried pre making characters and all I got was bitching about how they don't feel it after playing it (made to his description of what he wanted to do) or they don't bother learning a damn thing about the character and slow the game down as you walk them through even the most rules lite systems (how the fuck do you fuck up "everyone is John?").

Trust me, large player base and whittling the numbers down to a core group of good players is the only thing I've seen work. Out of my High School friends (6 people, not including me) only 1 was great, one decent and all the rest shit for playing with.

Its hard enough to get your daily friends to all meet up consistantly, let alone old friends you are trying to reconnect with. If they were ignoring you about the campaign, they obviously had a change of heart, and your constant messaging them regardless probably turned them off even more so. Then they send you a happy birthday message to be polite and you get pissed at them and post on Veeky Forums? You sound like "that dm" and i'd avois you too.

Tl;dr they decided they didnt want to do it, move on and stop bitching instead of sperging out.

Believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up first.

Deep

Message other players ya dingus
2 and 3 are hopeless