Martin Shkreli buying Magic cards

cnbc.com/2016/07/07/accused-pharmaceutical-fraudster-martin-shkreli-eyes-collecting-rare-magic-cards.html

How does TG feel about this scalper eyeballing the reserved list?

Will investors ride the coattails of this announcement?

Will Wizards reevaluate the reserved list in general?

Just media nonsense?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZuc3nBWdu0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It would be retarded to try and buyout the Reserved List en masse. Yeah, the higher the prices go the more the cards are technically worth, but the harder they are to actually move. He'll very easily cross the threshold into having shit that's too expensive for anyone to be buying.

Not disagreeing with you, but isn't that kinda this guy's thing? Owning shit no one else can afford? E.g. the WU Tang Album.

The more of the reserved list that ends up in the hands of one man, the less incentive and reason there is for keeping it rare.

With some luck, he will buy enough of the cards and invest quite a lot of money in to them only to have depreciate 99%

>E.g. the WU Tang Album.
I'm still fucking mad about that shit.

Me too. Thankfully he'll go to jail, his assets will be seized, and some nice person will upload it to the internet for free for one week, only to end up having it removed from everywhere available, making those who downloaded it insanely rich.

Be mad at Wu Tang for pulling that shit, they are artificially hyping and inflating demand for their shitty music by printing one album, that was always going to happen. Fuckers like this guy have always existed.

>being mad about people more successful and intelligent than you will ever be due to your biological inferiority

>implying ethical superiority isn't the paragon of choices

>slave morality

>le ayn rand meme

>implying those with the most arent ruled by their assets, while those with the least aren't free to do as they wish

He might be looking to dump his money into an unregulated form, in fact that's probably what it is.

yes, turning up for work 8 hours a day 6 days a week at some supermarket and stacking shelves with 4 hours of free time a day is truly the pinnacle of freedom, compared to some multi millionaire who spent a relatively small part of his life building wealth with the rest of it to do virtually whatever he wants

christianity really was a mistake desu

>more successful and intelligent than you

He's massively in debt and got absolutely fucked with the whole medication scheme because another company pulled the rug out from under him and started selling his "$750" medicine for like $12. As far as I know, he didn't even recoup the losses from buying the rights to the medicine to begin with.

There are much more viable and secure ways to do that.

What is looking to do is vanity, generating controversy/hype and interest for an upcoming project. Probably related to games, traditional or not.

So what happens to Shkreli when his eventual cellmate, Juwan, finds out he bought the only copy of that Wu Tang album just to troll the entire world?

>Kekles at his shekles.

Freedom is relative.

I'm an educated person capable of meaningful and well-compensated employment. I intentionally choose an easier job that pays me less money in order to feel more satisfied with my life. Why? Because there are things in life I know I can't buy and a good night's sleep is more valuable than you'd think.

>Implying rich people jails have blacks in it

great ontopic discussion guys

>thinks rich people just have their money in a big pile they can live off of for the rest of their lives

Buying power 9 cards as a long term investment might not be so crazy. You could have probably bought copies of Action Comics #1 in the 80s for 5 figures. Now, they can be 1 million easily. If you project mtg cards to behave like comic books, collectors-wise, who knows.

user, if you're regularly sleeping 12 hours a day there is something seriously wrong with your body and you should have yourself checked out.

This is fucking glorious.

I just want him to buy all the ABR duals and every single copy of Power out there. Just every single fucking one of them.

You can probably do it for a cool million or two. Just completely murder the marketplace.

When people call him out as a villain I will call him a fucking hero for killing Legacy and Vintage. Finally, no more listening to the bullshit that they're alive and well and Wizards stringing it along to give people false hope.

Various M:tG counterfeits already exist. If the cards go further up in price, it's reasonable to assume that so will the quality of counterfeits.
This is the one thing I'd be worried about when thinking about M:tG collection as a long term investment.

It's dumb. Buying a few of them is smart, buying all them means your assets are tied to an arbitrary company that can reprint everything at any time just to fuck you. Black Lotus going from 20k to 19.5k may not seem like a big deal, but if you have 100 of them, that's $5000 dollars you just lost. A more realistic scenario is Wizards reprinting the power 9 across 9 Eternal Masters style sets like expedition lands, and the price being cut at minimum 20%. Now imagine having hundreds of millions of dollars tied up in magic cards. While some may go up in value, others may go down. It's not a smart investment.

Who what when where why and how?

Your scenario is based on too many unbased speculations. Even if WotC breaks the RL promise, long term effect on original P9 would be negligible. Black Lotus has never gone down in price, and if it were reprinted, the price of the original would still go up. We are talking waiting years to cash out here, not months. Collectors want the original, not the newer versions. This is a universal truth. As far as the 9 Eternal Master reprint scenario being more realistic, what are you basing this on? Do you have access to Hasbro's commercial strategy?

I don't even know where the hundreds of millions of dollars figure comes from. How many Black Lotus, moxes and Ancestral Recalls do you think are for sale?

I sold him chinaman proxies. He doesn't know yet.

You will always be able to detect counterfeits upon close examination, unless the counterfeiters have access to the original paper, ink and machines used way back then. The best ones out there are virtually undetectable when sleeved and across the table, but if you know what to look for, you can always spot them.

>not investing in Rosalina

Amiibo reserved list when.

Isn't that from the autist who doesn't like all the girls in Smash so he's buying all the amiibo he can so no one else can get them?

They just crave attention and this is an easy way to do it.

They're no different than preppers. They need something to brag about so they throw money at something.

>Not buying domestic firearms
>Not stockpiling bullets
>Not forgetting what the purpose of this thread and the buying in the first place.

>preppers
The survivalists? The kind of people that stock 5 years worth of canned food and enough guns and ammo to supply entire border patrol unit? I always thought it's more about a Cold War paranoia throwback.

While it doesn't take away from the impressiveness that you carved a gun completely out of cheddar, it makes me a bit sad that your Ralph Klein autograph is fake.

And if it's real, I'm sorry, but it looks like you got it when his brain was shutting down.

There's nothing wrong with being prepared.

Actually there is.

Take backpacking. Being over-prepared means you will be over-encumbered thus making for a difficult trip. You don't need a full blown first aid kit, you don't need that extra pot for cooking, you don't need all those extra sets of clothing. You are going to lug around all that crap and it's just going to make the journey that much harder.

Preppers are prepared for a scenario that just won't fucking happen. Their level of preparedness vastly exceeds the needs of the present and their ideas that the government is going to collapse or we're going to eat a nuke. They are incurring a huge cost for near zero percent return.

Implying he doesn't take 5min out of his time to destroy it or give it too a friend fro safe keeping first.

>implying he has friends who won't just turn it in or sell it off themselves

Quite frankly I don't care. He seems like a person who doesn't know what he's doing and if he's past exploits are anything to go by, he'll just end up fucking himself.

But they support our burgeoning survivalist industry.

Imagine all the nuclear bunker companies that would go bankrupt if they suddenly stopped.

True, in case of an apocalypse like the one they are preparing for there only two scenarios:
A) you are dead
B)you wish you were dead

He tried to give money to his mum because she works long shifts as a janitor. I think she raised him be herself and worked really hard. She refused the money because she saw it as unethical.

Every time I look at his face I see this little kid literally desperate for approval. I think his life would be a rollercoaster of ups and downs. On one hand he 'had/has' money and everyone knows his name, on the other, only niggers like him, while getting laid would be easy you only going to be getting whores and users, his mum hates what he's done and all the attention he receives is pretty shitty.

If I tried paying my mother back with a goyf she would probably tell me to fuck myself too

Is he even poor enough to go to jail? We already learned this week that you can commit treason if you're rich enough and they'll make you president.

You grossly underestimate my misanthropy. I would endure my own suffering solely on the joy derived from suffering of the others.

Except he's not a woman.

Suffering of just anyone or someone you hate?

>Misanthropy is the general hatred, distrust or contempt of the human species or human nature.
take a wild guess

Funny guy. I'm continually surprised by the hate-boner the media has for him to report on this speculative crap.

This desu

Being rich and having powerful friends you're useful to are not the same thing.

> people honestly believe he's buying magic cards as a way of preserving assets

>Shkreli

what
a
surprise

With as much money as he has, he could be one overnight.

Touche

Get out of here /pol/.

>t dot co/nzNCXttWfm

OH SHIT HE'S ALREADY STARTED BUYING OUT THE BEST REMOVAL SPELLS

"He then told CNBC that he didn't want the reporter to contact either himself, his lawyer or anyone who "works for me."

>pulls off a real life never talk to me or my son again

in my case its either work at my job so I can continue to live in a room with 4 walls and a ceiling or don't work and be on the street, free to spend twenty-four hours of a day looking for work, bumming cigarettes, strapping shoes on my feet
Got to find a reason, a reason things went wrong
Got to find a reason why my money's all gone

I honestly think he was just jealous that they were calling the other guy The Martin Shkreli of Magic.
"Hey wait a mintue, I, the actual Martin Shkreli, could be an even bigger douche than this pretender!"

Do you think it's possible for Wizards to reprint stuff on the reserved list just to fuck with this guy?

2 things
>I wasn't going to get any of the reserved list stuff except duals so I don't give a fuck if black lotus is 10k or 100k.
>there's a good to fair chance this isn't real. He just claimed it, but nothing confirmed.

Travis Woo is helping him? Pretty cool.

The reporter called into Shkreli's stream to talk to him directly instead of going through his agent or whatever. I love that the dumbass was trying to justify it as "not stealing Kotaku's lead on the story". Poor guy got roasted: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl79yd5sDNo

>You're writing a story about my... card collecting?
>Hahaha, yes I am.
>Do you... Do you have better things to write about?
>At the moment? No.

>The reporter called into Shkreli's stream to talk to him directly instead of going through his agent or whatever
Whoops never mind, that's false. I was halfway through the video and forgot the opening 30 seconds.

You can tell he's fed up with journalists, and that's really all the justification he needs.

There must be a massive ton of people out there who wouldn't part with their collection unless he was paying way stupid money. Knowing legacy people, their lives revolve around the game so they probably wouldn't part with their cards.

I think he pulls this shit just to antagonize people. No one can be this stupid. Realestate is a safer option than magic cards.

I think this post has it right.

>the WU Tang Album.
And nothing of value was lost.

>due to your biological inferiority
prove that part

you're posting on Veeky Forums

>cheddar gun
for what purpose

What's the difference?

No, that's the vicious and constant child abuse, not genetics. Try again.

He's played it on stream

It was preddy good.

When the time comes, I'll know.

i don't really care about any of that i just really hate his face

Shkreli never mentally advanced past the age of about 15, intellectually or emotionally. He's literally a psychopath who got ridiculously lucky and now believes that there are no consequences for anything he does.

And let's be honest, he has enough money that there probably aren't. The man is basically the devil.

>psychopath
He's not psychopath, he is simple told by his PR Agent that he is not going to be likeable and to be unlikeable as possible without being hated. He makes money of this, interviews, appearances is all money in his pocket.

If he's not a fully diagnosable psychopath then he's falling pretty close to the mark desu senpai

His media presence doesn't actually make him that much money because he's not that sort of celebrity.

Bait for the bait god

There is no falling near the mark, it is a yes/no on/off. It is a brain wiring, or rather miswiring, of the forming brain. It can not be developed or brought on.

He is generating talk, buzz and hype.

I think it's just media nonsense but I think he's calculating whether it's worth it trying to invest. To which I say, I hope he fucks over the Dual Lands market. It'll send a clear signal to players who's the real asshole here: Wizards. And Wizards HATES negative PR so they might just end up having to do SOMETHING about the abysmal nature of Eternal MtG prices.

Has anyone here actually seen this guy in an interview not done by fucking vice or some other liberal media? He's actually a pretty well natured guy who just knows how the pharma market works, unlike most people. Also who fucking cares what his hobbies are can we not just leave him alone and let him do what he wants to do with his money?

Noob question incoming.

Why does the reserved list even exists? I mean, I understand the reasons, but why making it public? Just say behind closed doors "We're never reprinting this, this and that" and say nothing to all the faggots playing stock exchange with pieces of cardboard.

It exists to protects collectors wallets. Imagine if you had several cards worth hundreds or thousands of dollars. Now imagine that everyone could also get those cards for $20 and your formerly expensive cards are now quite cheap.

As a collector I understand why it's there but I for one wouldn't be astonishingly upset if they did what they did with vintage masters in paper

I would be willing to bet that if he somehow got over half of a single card on the reserve list they would reprint that card

it defeats the purpose of their game when one person just takes the whole thing

It is there because WotC needed a way to keep the secondary market from collapsing. This was the answer. They needed to give collectors a reason to buy into the game by removing the fear that the cards would become worth the cardboard they were printed on. This got them through the first time the game almost died (and tcg's would have gone with it).

>There is no falling near the mark, it is a yes/no on/off. It is a brain wiring, or rather miswiring, of the forming brain. It can not be developed or brought on.

There are so many psychological studies that would argue otherwise that making a statement like this is asinine.

Please furnish me with one respected and known publication with a test group over one hundred subjects and I will recant my post. This must be a link to a journal of medicine that published it, not a simple website of those who conducted it.

I think reprints wont affect collectors who collect Magic cards because they actually like Magic and collecting, they'll still have their legit rare 20-years-old pieces of cardboard. Originals wont lose their value by a big margin because, you know, they are the originals, and reprints are just reprints.

Now, who will be affected by reprints:
- actual MtG players will be able to buy cards they need for much less money
- scumbags who turned trading aspect of MtG in a fucking stock market bubble simulator, who don't give a shit about Magic and in the end just want to (be able to) resell cards for maximized profit

>psychopath

The word you're looking for is sociopath; but even then I doubt he fits that description.

if he did this and damnation ended up costing 1000 dollars i would just buy china proxies you cant tell the difference anyway. Also I would murder him for not only taking a wu-tangs cd but fucking with my magic

If I had Martin's ear I'd convince him to first buy up all of the original dual lands he could, and burn all but a playset of each; and see what Wizard's response would be. Then move on to Power Nine, etc and repeat until there is nothing left. Reserve list isn't a list if the cards cease to exist.

Then again, I'm hoping Chinese counterfeiting collapses the market entirely.

If I had Martin's ear, I'd charge him a forture to get it back. Or scream madly at the Sky Gods and eat it.

If I had Martin's ear then Martin would be down an ear.

I think you underestimate just how much rich nerds are willing to pay for their hobby.

The threshold should have been crossed long ago.

Even if the average Legacy deck cost $10,000 you would still have faggots telling us that it's fair.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZuc3nBWdu0

I'll never understand the people who try to justify +$2,000 for a competitive modern deck to play an elaborate game of rock/paper/scissors that is the meta. The only competitive Magic I ever play anymore is limited; and I'll spend my two grand on a new firearm and video card; things not printed on paper.

Seto Kaiba is the hero magic deserves.