HOW DO YOU ROLL YOUR CHARACTERS?

HOW DO YOU ROLL YOUR CHARACTERS?

I ask GM what's the usual chargen process for the system he's going to run and work from there.

When I GM, it's 3d6 in order. When it's the other GM's turn, it's always point-buy.

For D&D/Clones?
2d6+4 strait, players may exchange any two one time. 2d6+3 if I want it a little more low-key.

We use a stack of cards.

Our game has three ability scores instead of six (house rules). Each person gets the following cards: one each of 0, 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7, and three 5s. Each person shuffles their nine cards and lays them out face down into three stacks of three, then flips them over. The result is something like 3d6 in order, except everybody has the same total score (so no unbalance) and the average is slightly higher.

The equivalent for a normal retroclones would be four 1s, four 2s, one 3, one 4, four 5s, four 6s. That gives you a spread just like 3d6 in order, but fair for everyone involved.

d20 no rerolls

Pick race class and alignment.
53 points to spend in everything excluding charisma.
an stat 3, cost 3 points, an stat of 4 cost 4 points....... excluding 17 that cost 18 points and 18 that cost 21 points.
Those costs are the costs before modifiers.
All your stats before and after modifiers must be at least 3.
Now you roll charisma using 3d6.

why is charisma randomized?

Not rolling for stats in D&D is fucking retarded in a system where it's 5% increments either way and high stats rarely actually matter that much.

Not rolling for stats in the most casual RPG in the world, is fucking pathetic. And please don't use the "well I'll just suicide my character if I get shit rolls" because guess what? You are now behind on XP and you also get kicked out of my group if you try to abuse the system like that.

Anti-rollers always pull out the same strawmen of "hazing" and shit and ignore the fact that that is a problem with the gamers' attitudes, not rolling for stats. Which, in the long run, is equivalent to point buy anyway. No, your dice are not cursed. You're just whiny and bitchy that you aren't rolling all 18s and you can't get the god-tier stats you get from the High Power stat array.

As for cunts who confuse 3d6 straight down with 4d6 arrange, no, you do still get to choose your stats' arrangements, so you are not "stuck" with 14 Strength and 16 charisma as a fighter. Fuck that noise. Few if anyone has done that and it's usually with the players' consent beforehand.

Does rolling for stats work in any other system? Fuck no. Does it work in D&D? Yes.

With dice.

>Rolling for stats works in nothing but DnD

What?

We fling our own shit at a table of classes and races to determine who plays what.

Then we piss into measuring cylinders and the number you get to is that stat. It's tactical to save your piss for more important stats.

Finally we throw bricks at innocent bystanders until they give us a background, which you then use for your character.

Our characters feel like a part of us.

4d6, drop the lowest, reroll any ones once and put the numbers where ever you want. This usually makes everyone get above average stats which is good since we play high power games since half our group are minmaxers.

Your group's a sack of shit, so I'd gladly leave on my own anyway.

I prefer 3d6, arrange as you please. My players, however, prefer 4d6 drop low. Pointbuy just feels wrong to me, but to each their own

No one dose a Roll 4d6 remove one. Put in any order. No one dose that here?

There is no point in rolling if it is arraigned as you please. At that point, it is merely point-buy without fairness. If you're going to roll, it has to be in order or else why are you rolling at all?

3d6 is also fair for everyone

the problem i have with that method is you end up with boring characters
what makes a character interesting, in my opinion, is not their strengths, but their weaknesses
just rolled this...

not very interesting in my opinion

No, it really is not. There is no reason to have characters stronger and weaker than each other if there is an alternative to doing so.

Roll 24d6, get rid of 2 highest, 4 lowest, give three dice to each sta

>equal result is better than equal opportunity
>stats are equal amongst themselves
>stats being equal means everyone is equal
Just make everyone a human fighter with 10s in everything fampai

A lot of these are way too complicated. Do none of you have better things to do?

3d3 exploding

I change rolling depending on how my players like to play. If they want to come in with a premade idea, then its 3d6 arrange as desired. If they want to play Level 0, then it'll end up being the equivalent of 4d6 (drop lowest) straight down. I'm a huge fan of level 0 though, so in most of my games you'll choose a race, "discover" your potential, and then choose a class based on your stats.

5d6 drop lowest 2, reroll 1's and 2's

It's okay to be autistic user

Because what if I want to play a high strength character? I would rather pick the best then be stuck with whatever. I like the stats to conform to my players' character concepts, not the concepts to conform to the stats.

Then just do pointbuy, for fuck's sake.

Yeah you wouldn't be allowed to leave our group because I know every GM in a 35 mile radius and I could get you on the blacklist with but a phone call. Nice try, kid, but you aren't getting out of this that easily.

Rolled 1, 4, 3, 1, 4, 4, 6, 5, 5, 1, 2, 6, 3, 5, 2, 5, 6, 2 = 65 (18d6)

ROLLAN

Oh no, I'll be forced to play online, a far more convenient solution for me anyway.

Sure, and then you'll teleport behind me with a katana. I get you.

Nothing personal, kid.

Playing online is fucking shit unless you are doing text-only in a rules-lite system. Even then, most GMs suck ass. Seriously, I've been doing it for 8 years with conscious efforts to improve, I am considered the best GM by literally every group I've joined. Jealous? Don't be, because I basically gave up having a life to git gud at GMing and my creative pursuits in general. I'm 23 and I've never even kissed a girl. But despite that I find most online games to be boring as shit, most GMs have their heads up their own arses. I finally pulled mine out and learned to engage the players and adapt to what they want. Fulfill their wishes and they will love you. Give them what they want and you will get what you want. And roll20 is full of these fuckers. At least in D&D you can have combats to space it out. Combat in roll20 fucking sucks.

Post WotC system or a game based on such? Point-buy.
OSR or TSR? I like to experiment. Currently for a Redwall-styled game I'm giving players the option of taking 10 in every stat or rolling 3d6 in order. All three of my players chose to roll, giving me:
>A strong but surly warrior
>Necromancer weasel who is strong as fuck but absolutely frail
>An otter scout who has barely any strength and can't take a hit, not a single stat above 12
It's fun, gives people the option to play it safe and be completely average or take the risk to try and get good stats.

Personally I and the rest of my group hate rolling, so Point Buy is what we usually use. If I were running D&D or similar, I'd just give them an array. It's less finicky, quicker, and each PC starts off much more more equal in terms of how good their stat spreads are.

>not rolling is fucking retarded because
>It dosen't really matter
>It's casual (read: thing I don't like)
>strawman of a strawman
>It's not THAT bad, we use a less random version

...Virt? Is that you?

Just started a new campaign, and I'm experimenting with this method:

>get an 18 in any stat of your choice
>roll 3D6 in order for all your other stats

This way, you still get the interesting character features that rolling gives you, but your character can still be competent in whatever it is they're supposed to be good at. Worked pretty well for my group.

No game is better than a shit game, which is what I'd be getting if I played with you and your shitbird friends.

Thats not a terrible idea, although most classes rely on at least two stats.

What about an option to "take 10" so to speak, so before rolling you could choose one stat to be 15, one 13, one 11, one 9, one 7 and one 5 in that order if you wanted and then roll? It would add an interesting dynamic of risking potential greatness for ensured decency.

I tried to came with some idea that has a mix of choice and randomness. and came up with this, buts its too complex.

1-Roll stat a random.
2-You now have 2 choices to choose from
2.1-Roll 3d6 for this stat X, then select a new stat where you will roll 3d6 (cant be X) the stat you select and the stat X can be stats that already have values on it
2.2-Pick another stat Y that you will be rolling 3d6 to find the value and then after it pick new stat at random (can be Y) and roll 3d6 for it.
4-go back to 1 if all stats arent generated.

EXAMPLE:
Guy roll strength
He decides to roll 3d6 to find his strength and gets a 5, his str is now a 5
Now he must roll a stat at random and a 3d6, He roll dex and 14. So his dex is 14.
The char is now
Str: 5
Dex:14
Con??
Wis??
Int ??
Cha??

Back to step 1, he roll again a stat at random and get charisma
He decides to roll his strength at random instead of charisma and get 10, his strenght is 10 instead of 5
He now rolls a stat at random and a 3d6, he get strenght and 9
The char is now
Str: 9
Con??
Wis??
Int ??
Cha??

Back to step 1 again he roll wisdom.
He decided to roll for wisdom and get 7, then roll the stat at random and a 3d6 and get charisma 8
The char is now
Str: 9
Con??
Wis??
Int 7
Cha 8

And this goes on

As always, I'll go with a card draw or randomly determined, randomly assigned array.

That's not a bad idea either, but this was a group of new players and I wanted to keep things simple for them. For my main group, I might give them that option whenever we make new characters.

>some idea that has a mix of choice and randomness
Came with a simplified version of the idea

1-Roll a stat at random and then 3d6 to set the value.
2-Roll 2 different stats at random.
3-Pick the one you want to set the value and roll 3d6
4-Go back to 2 if all stats arent generated.

Do you even realize how large 35 miles is, you NEET?

I'm hesitant to believe you know anyone within 35 feet of your basement, let alone 35 miles.

It's basically the GMing equivalent of the Navy SEAL copypasta. Don't let it get to you.

6x 3d6. If highest is lower than 16 it's a 16. Lowest higher than 8? It's an 8. Place these two as you want. Flip coins on the other.