GW wakes up one day and smells the shitsack they're sitting on...

GW wakes up one day and smells the shitsack they're sitting on. They realize everything they've done wrong up until this point. They are ashamed and they want to make reparations. They come to you. What does the new GW look like. Better yet, what does GW change in 40k?

For me, it's like this:

Story gets advanced.

Minis are sold for cheaper, with better quality assurance. Newbies getting into 40k is actually plausible without breaking the bank.

All mechanics undergo critical review. Things are balanced or nerfed.

Squats come back. Just for funzies.

Ultrasmurfs get a little mud on their face. Just enough so that the fluff stops having a Ward-on for them. As a result, Reasonable Marines become a thing.

GW regularly incorporates Veeky Forums stories and homebrew into the fluff. And they do it well, not making it intrusive or annoying. All Guardsmen Party gets a subtle mention here and there, etc.

Though I'm sure people will argue with me tooth and nail about any of this being ideal.

>story advanced
>Veeky Forums fluff

You know how I know you're gay?
You like Coldplay. And soap operas.

For me, it's like this:

Shutter the B&M stores and cut RRPs 50% across the board so the product actually becomes salable in real gaming stores owned by businessmen who know that it includes a built-in guaranteed demand. Release the inbred faggots currently writing the rules and replace them with a horde of rabid WHW fluffmonkeys wrangled and edited by runtherdz with math degrees. Inform CAD that they'll no longer be paid to work on flimsy wedding cake toppers, but may be kept on if they can produce rugged, durable yet evocative military model designs suitable for daily handling without constant fucking repair.
Bring back the bits service, host public forums with mandatory developer interaction, give away eWD for free, sell dead tree WD for the same price as a comic book, but have it include exclusive Konversion Korner and Chapter Approved articles, drag Tom Kirby to the kerb and have him flogged out of town with range rulers, and ... tea time!

Well, that's Monday sorted.
But there's always tomorrow ...

Space Marines get squatted.

40k is actually kinda cool without them.

this post

the ceo we need but will never have

>Minis are sold for cheaper, with better quality assurance

First is going to lead to cut backs somewhere. Wasn't aware the second was even a problem with their plastic kits.

If you want an example of what you get when a company tries to sell non-historical minis for cheap, take a nice long look at Mantic's offerings.

>Ultrasmurfs get a little mud on their face. Just enough so that the fluff stops having a Ward-on for them.

Can tell you're a fucking memer for bringing up Ward and thinking that the UM being super special started with him. The generic Marine codex used to be Codex Ultramarines.

>As a result, Reasonable Marines become a thing.

More meme garbage. Marines are fine as they are now were anything is plausible. They don't have to all be super tacticool bullshit because everything else over the past decade shitted out involving Marines has been. I also find this pretty fucking hilarious considering how you have some problem with the UM and yet in the HH they're written as probably being close to what you'd want all Marines to be.

>GW regularly incorporates Veeky Forums stories and homebrew into the fluff. And they do it well, not making it intrusive or annoying. All Guardsmen Party gets a subtle mention here and there, etc.

No, this is even more horseshit.

Most of what Veeky Forums shits out is bad because it's based on memes and a somehow poor understanding of the lore. I'm perfectly fine with Veeky Forums stuff being incorporated in the same manner as BL material, someone in the Design Studio likes it and the idea actually makes sense.

GW minis are already cheaper than a lot of the competition. Go look at the per mini price on infinity, warmachine, x-wing, Malifaux, etc.

Guess what, a game which requires lots of models is always going to be more expensive that one that doesn't.

The fix is not cheaper models (when their profit margins aren't exactly stellar) but a ruleset modification for small games (~500 pts) to provide that inexpensive entry point.

>Minis are sold for cheaper
GW is actually cheaper than all of their competitors as long as you don't cherry pick the hero models

4 dollars for a space marine is cheaper than you will see from Privateer, Reaper, Corvus Belli, etc, and the quality far exceeds Perry or Mantic

>better quality assurance.
not a problem for the plastic kits

>Newbies getting into 40k is actually plausible without breaking the bank.
what are the start collecting bundles?

>All mechanics undergo critical review.
the game is only 10% of the hobby

>Squats come back. Just for funzies.
No.

>Cena marines get a slap in the face
Ward got fired already, so this will likely happen in time

>Veeky Forums
not going to happen, but I would love to see Hive Fleet Ultra be a thing, complete with the retarded explanation for it

You're preaching to the choir, I would certainly not mind if GW introduced a system for smaller games that was balanced and fun. I know there is Zone Mortalis, but that is a bit restrictive and more importantly seems a bit hard to get started because of the terrain requirements.

I'm also aware that GW functions on a system of you getting more for your money, but also needing more, while those games you've listed function on a system of you getting less, but also needing less. In a way I kind of like the latter simply because it seems like owning multiple armies would be possible.

The OP I'm guessing wants to pay $20 for something like the current Tactical kit and not have it change at all.

Ward actually didn't get fired, he left. If you read his blog entries about the End Times he seemed a lot more into Fantasy than he was 40k and I'm guessing GW's decision to end the aforementioned led to him leaving.

It's also funny that people associate him with Ultramarines when he apparently had Necrons as his favorite race and cribbed a lot of the lore/tone he wrote for the Ultramarines and possibly other armies from Second Edition.

>In a way I kind of like the latter simply because it seems like owning multiple armies would be possible.
owning multiple armies is possible right now unless you play at the retarded 1850+ point levels everyone seems obsessed with

That is the norm (Supposedly what the game is balanced around) and it being the norm makes collecting multiple armies seem both time consuming and expensive.

I think it may only be a bit better, but I do like how in the General's Handbook being released for AoS GW created three different game types at 1000, 2000, and 2500 points. Each with their own expanding FOC of sorts. For example, in the 1000 point variant you have to take 1 Leader and 2 Battleline units, but after that can take up to 3 more Leaders, any number of Battleline units, up to 2 Artillery and Behemoth units, and any number of units that don't fall under one of the above unit types. Units that have two types such as Leader and Behemoth count for both slots.

Hey anons. I noticed how upset you all are with GW. Some friends and I are working on a new game concept you'll hopefully like. It's a strategy game like WH40k. Inexpensive, easy to get into, encourages player creativity, different game-modes. We call it Project AB. Stay tuned.

yeah I like that also

also the points costs for AoS would make a 1000 point AoS army close-ish in model count to a 500-750 point 40k army

ultimately I wish 500pt and 1000pt 40k were more popular. 500pt in particular forces a lot of interesting choices about army composition

go shill somewhere else

Reducing prices to make the hobby more affordable would benefit them enormously, too bad they don't seem to realize it.

Except it wouldn't and they are already cheaper than their competitors, and the actual cost of 40k is a joke compared to "real" hobbies like cars, fishing, etc

Just because you are an entitled poorfag doesn't mean everyone else is

>Story gets advanced.
Explain why you want this?

Why do you faggots keep putting Perry and Mantic together?

Perry plastics are high quality historical miniatures on par with GW. They're much simpler in terms of design, but that's because they're historical.

I did notice some of the points for baseline stuff being more expensive in AoS. Chaos Warriors are 16pts and Liberators are 20pts. Compared to a Tactical Space Marine being 14pts.Though I suppose that could be you paying more points for all the options. Either way I don't mind.

Reducing prices only works if the sales you get in return make up for the money you lost by not charging a higher price.

The thing is, there is absolutely no guarantee that lower prices would lead to a drastic uptick in sales.

Because sometimes the status quo gets boring. Not everyone is all about trying to create their own stories.

Really though, 40k can't advance that much. At most into the 13th Black Crusade actually starting and going to a certain point.

In a way GW is lucky that 40k takes place in a galaxy and over 10,000+ years. It gives them the time and space to tell lots of stories if they want to.

>I have no idea how money works

Zone mortalis is fucking ace but the terrain is a bigger barrier to entry then a full size army.

>I'm a poorfag who doesn't realize that 40K is way cheaper than most hobbies

Limited edition Matt Ward ultramarines mini.

>Shutter the B&M stores
Yeah that's fucking great if you live in the US and not in any other part of the world where GW stores are the only option

I've never had a problem with their models. I mean sure some of them look stupid, but I've never had one that was warped or damaged or fucked up in anyway. And they've all held fairly sharp detail.

Is shitty models just a meme?

Finecast is notoriously bad. Like a one in three return rate, and that's just the ones that shipped.

Do you really believe that cutting prices by 50% would result in double sales?

>le it's cheap compared to other hobbies stop complaining

this has got to be hands down the dumbest god damn maymay this side of the internet, PLEASE shut the fuck up parroting this shit. here is why you're retarded:

1) 40k miniatures are plastic figurines. A car is an extremely impressive feat of engineering with many practical uses.

2) Producing cars has a much greater overhead relative to producing plastic mandolls.

3) GW is well known to disregard customers in ridiculous ways for profits, at least cars do what they're supposed to do for the most part.

The bottom line is that things cost what people will pay for them. That does not mean people are not fucking stupid for paying those prices, or that GW isn't a crew of malevolent kikes for fostering an environment in which such prices are paid.

If you think producing plastic miniatures is easy then please start a company to do it

Also
>le

Go back to fucking Reddit

yeah bro that was totally my point, in fact I'm just going to start a car company instead

ironically, autistically pointing out meme semantics you dislike is pretty reddit tier so perhaps you should make your way over there too pal.

I go out and buy up some talent to get started on all-inclusive boardgames, at least one Dominion-style deckbuilder, at least one PACG-style deckbuilder, and throw some actual cash at revamping the TTRPG market.

Then I Heroclix the shit out of the model side. Most shit comes pre-painted and pre-packaged and blanks have to be special ordered. Casual starter kits for $20, small beginner's tourney-ready kits for $60, "Reinforcements"are $5-$100 pre-packs meant to drop in to beef up an existing army, and single units are available at a premium for custom fine-tuning.

I put a stop to up-selling and start in-selling: the managers' goal is to give everybody a reason to come to the store all the time even if it's just cheap soda, and I expect a $20 tier tourney, a $60 tier tourney, and a pay-to-win tourney every week bare-minimum.

In short, I declare GW's business model busted out and steal WotC's. If we're gonna keep the stores open and the IP's valuable I need casual cash and that generally hits about an Andrew Jackson at a time and wants to play with their new toys before they get home.

The king is dead. Long live the king.

this isn't elementary school that's not a valid argument anymore.

The "a car is a technological marvel but plastic miniatures aren't" argument is just as bad. Cars were marvels a century ago, now they are just machines. Do you know how much it costs for GW to produce the molds for a new kit? What about the logistics to ship product from the UK to the rest of the world?

>what is relativity

>and the actual cost of 40k is a joke compared to "real" hobbies like cars, fishing, etc
You know you could compare 40k to other wargames, right? Let us do a little experiment.

I want to pay that cool looking game called Warhammer 40,000. People play it at my LGS on Saturday night, and they look like a friendly enough crowd. So I go ahead into my local game store/Games Workshop, and I grab myself one of those nifty Start Collecting boxes, choosing Space Wolves, because wolves+ vikings+ Space Marines = cool shit. I am now set back $85 (plus sales tax where applicable). However, I need the rules, so I grab the the pimp as hell box set for $85. Now, I have everything I need, right? Incorrect. I need a xacto knife, clippers, a file/sandpaper, glue and I don't want a grey army I'll need paints & brushes. So for $170 I have models and rules, and for hobby supplies let's just say I spend $30 (a low estimate).

For $200 I can play Warhammer 40,000. Kinda outrageous, no? Compare that to X-Wing, which allows you to start playing for $40. You can and will spend more, but $40 is the bare minimum. Or Malifaux, which allows you and a friend to start playing for $95 (that's with paints & tools). That's roughly $47 per person. Or Infinity's starter set, which is $99 for two armies, terrain, a rulebook, dice and rulers. Add $30 for paints & tools, and you're rocking for $129. Granted, all this is MSRP, but that's for fairness of comparison. I could get an entire 2000 point Eldar army for 40 bucks, but the likelihood of that happening is nil.

I have not a clue about WarmaHordes, or else I'd bring that into the fray.

Finecast doesn't have a return rate anymore laddy, it's a meme that it's bad

>I'm poor so disregard that other hobbies are expensive
>I want plastic spacebarbies for pennies on the dollar

Fuck off to mantic

>Combine rulesets for AoS, HH, and 40k so they can all be played with the same BRB
>Rules are now handled RAW, taking a page from MTG's rules writing guidelines
>Melee, shooting, and all factions are balanced both internally and externally, from 1000 points to 5000 points.
>Codex: Imperial Allies includes MT, Inq, LotD, Arbites, etc
>Codex updates are released to improve the game, not to push new models
>Reduce BRB cost to $15
>Make datasheets available for free
>Make hardbound collectors edition codexes available with lots of fluff and pictures and an exclusive 1/30 scale statuette available for $175
>Close retail stores so FLGSes can survive
>Provide tournament support
>Release a first-party application similar to Battlescribe for compiling army lists and making special rules quicker to check at a glance (you can even include the ability to purchase and ship models from within the app!)
>Get some actual QA in the production process instead of pissing away money mailing out replacements for replacements for replacements
>All squads are available in plastic, and all characters are available in either plastic or resin. Some collector's edition pewter models are available, but only for models already available in plastic.
>Start Playing kits are available with a handful of preassembled, prepainted minis (maybe just SM, Orks, and IG or something) and a BRB, and Start Collecting kits are available with a handful sample-sized paints and some brushes (a kit for every faction)
>Paints come in squeeze bottles and 15% larger for the same price

>Do you know how much it costs for GW to produce the molds for a new kit?
Do you have any idea how many cast parts there are on a car, and how much it costs to make the molds necessary for making literally millions of steel and aluminum components?

X wing is a pre painted skirmish game made in Chinese sweatshops, not a fair comparison

Warmahordes and infinity cost more per model than 40k, but you need fewer models

Note: it is possible to play 40k with fewer models too, but for reasons unknown people don't.

Because GW no longer appears to be aware that games under 2K are even legal still. From folding Apocalypse into the standard rules to upscaling models like the Wraithlord and Bloodthirster, it is clear that GW's vision for the game doesn't include a small army. The game is "designed" for huge. I put that in scare quotes because it's unclear that there is a coherent design philosophy behind the newer editions.

There is a reason that for small games people use some variety of the Kill Team rules instead of doing it the standard way.

How about the twenty legions are squatted, basically making space marines a big united army corp which has some internal differences so you can still create your thing, like IG for example. But we don't get thousands space marines codices a day

That's the point, retard. Those costs are better absorbed by selling a lot of pieces with smaller profit on each one than by crippling your own market with ridiculous prices and trying to cover the costs by further increasing those prices.
But you're clearly too dumb to understand that.

Not that guy, but:

>be dude
>oh look, that new Dawn of War/Space Marine/[insert 40k vidya] is out. Looks like fun.
>oh hey, this actually stems from a tabletop game. That could also be fun.
>start collecting box is $70-85
>you need to spend at least $200-300 for all the shit you need
>you need to assemble and paint the miniatures--fun for most of us neckbeards, but if you're just in it for the game, you have to put in that time AND deal with a shitty rules system

>brand new vidya with at least 8, up to infinity hours of content is $60

Yeah, in a way it reminds me of Infinity in that the game requires a lot of terrain to actually function.

Finecast was bad, but they've improved. You argue that Finecast was merely an inconvenience at best since GW never really fought about sending out a replacement. They were so generous that people began scamming the system to get free models, forcing them to put certain requirements in place.

The difference is in the size of the markets. Lots more people buy cars than they do toy soldiers.

A lot of complaints with regards to the prices GW charges don't seem to realize or want to acknowledge that miniature gaming is a niche hobby. If there were even half as many people into miniature gaming as there were those who play video games pay to watch movies, GW's prices would be a lot lower because they'd be getting return from more people.

Yeah, GW probably does charge a bit more than needed even to profit, but you're not going to see the kind of price drops complainers want unless manufacturing and such becomes stupidly cheap or miniature gaming goes through a massive boom.

The game is 10% of the hobby at most

If the game is all you want, stick with dow

You're region is obviously not worth selling to then.

>comparing perry to mantic
I'll eat your eyeballs you stupid fuck.

The Perry Brothers sculpted for GW for decades, look at older non-monopose Empire State Troops.

Just because they're doing real historicals now and don't put skulls on anything doesn't mean they're of less quality.

>Better yet, what does GW change in 40k?
Who cares? You are implying that they would bring back fantasy and the specialist games, right?

>Who cares? You are implying that they would bring back fantasy and the specialist games, right?
Nice quads.

And desu that's not out of the realm of imagination.
Their new CEO is bringing back community forums and has advertised for some old specialty games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Fantasy as some sort of "pocket dimension" specialty game itself.
Especially considering that AoS is barely selling.

>GW regularly incorporates Veeky Forums stories and homebrew into the fluff

you fool, i don't want your fetishes in my grimdark

>Reasonable Marines become a thing
>GW regularly incorporates Veeky Forums stories and homebrew into the fluff

How can people say GW prices are fine when a 10 man squad of Guardsmen is $29?

>10 man squad of Guardsmen is $29?
cherry picking aside, that is $2.90 per guardsmen.

Shitty 1 piece flexible reaper bones are $2.50 a piece, and nobody bitches about those being expensive

is a guardsmen worth $0.40 more than a bones model? I think so.

>failing to understand a publicly traded company would never be "ashamed" for their greedy, shareholder-serving practices
>a corporation "wanting to make reparations"
>after making all those "mistakes" then coming to Veeky Forums of all places

You're dumb. Why do so many of you morons populate this board and make these kinds of threads? I don't understand it.

>. As a result, Reasonable Marines become a thing.
you're a fucking retard and I hope you never have any kind of input on the direction of anything I enjoy

Perry Bros are the most overhyped garbage ever. Shallow ass details sculpted by two fucking hacks who aren't even left handed but don't have a fucking right hand anymore and all know how to do is shitty historicals which have tons of reference material to boot.

Let's see them sculpt something really impressive and actually cool instead of some tiny real world faggot.