What's the possibility of there being another game that gets big and has it's initial print run become as expensive as...

What's the possibility of there being another game that gets big and has it's initial print run become as expensive as MTG power 9, duals and other highly sought after cards?

Can a game without random card distribution (LCG) achieve that?
What do you think about buying "promising" games in hopes of them becoming rare and expensive in the future?

>What do you think about buying "promising" games in hopes of them becoming rare and expensive in the future?
Absolutely retarded. Literally gambling.

very doubtful, the scene can't really support two card games. Since the game requires a social medium, newcomers will always go with an established game that promises fun and value rather than some kickstarted bullshit that nobody really plays.

People do this for literally anything that can be collectable. I agree some for this sole purpose is stupid but if you might get enjoyment out of the game ... why not?

It's probably true for America but I was surprised to find out that in Japan for example, while they have giant MTG advertisements, people play all kinds of other games. I don't think I saw mtg being played on a single table there.

Is Timetwister REALLY that strong to deserve the spot in the power9?

Yes.

No, not really. It's really good in combo decks, but all the other Power are great regardless of what type of deck you put them in. Had Sol Ring been printed as a rare it would definetly have taken the slot from Timetwister and if Library of Alexandria had been printed already in Alpha it would have made the Power 9 instead.

It's possible.
But it wouldn't be a card game.

The market only supports so many and the big ones are unlikely to be unseated. And there's no reason to really try to either when you can now distribute card games online a la Hearthstone.

it was relatively much more powerful in the early days of the game when you could run a critical mass of artifact mana and basically go infinite just by resolving a single Twister. Now that we have 60-card decks and all the good artifact mana is restricted in Vintage (and banned elsewhere) we don't really get to see the card do it's think anymore. Meanwhile, there are newer, similarly-powerful things to do in the 3-4 mana area (JTMS, YawgWill, etc.) so Timetwister is no longer the king of value engines

>What's the possibility of there being another game that gets big
Pretty likely, but I'd wager more on vidya than on physical card games

>and has it's initial print run become as expensive as MTG power 9, duals and other highly sought after cards?

Impossible at this point. The reason the power 9 are so expensive is because most of them are completely imbalanced, and Alpha was terribly designed. If it were a digital game that shit would get patched or die by people complaining. If it were a physical game it wouldn't likely get popular due to people seeing it and saying it sucks. If it DID still get popular it wouldn't remain expensive due to power creep (see: Yu-Gi-Oh)

Power 9 is so pricey because Richard "Lasagna Dick" Garfield pioneered a game type in a pre-internet age and fucked up the first sets really badly.

>What do you think about buying "promising" games in hopes of them becoming rare and expensive in the future?

OOOH you mean CSGO Skins

Yes.

Timetwister is incredibly broken in 100 card singleton EDH. It's an amazing card that has only gotten better now that graveyards are basically second hands (meaning you can recast timetwister over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

Seriously, I've seen infinite combos assembled accidentally off of timetwister recasting, to say nothing of the things you can do when you intentionally try to break it.

>Richard "Lasagna Dick" Garfield
His dick is lasagna? How does that even work? Does he-

>his last name is Garfield
>Garfield is a cat that eats lasagna
>he eats his own dick

Oh I see what you did there.

That image is cancer incarnate:

>sniper skin
>downloadable in a videogame
>limited for no reason since it isn't a tangible resource
>thousands of dollars

Only idiots play those games, then again, it seems like idiots have a lot of money.

MtG cards are limited only because the maker wanted them to be limited. They could just as well have printed hundred times more of each rare, expensive card they did. They chose not to.

There is no reason for them to be limited other than to create a demand. You know, kinda like with this.

Wrong.

At least the magic card is printed on a piece of paper. I can stick that piece of paper in a sock drawer and it will remain essentially the same thing. Sure the game might change, values might go up or down, doesn't really matter, you have a physical artifact of tangible value.

That sniper skin on the other hand is awful. The company can arbitrarily release a patch that deletes it from everyone's computer without telling them. In a less extreme example, some hacker could make 10^99 copies and distribute them to everyone. The point is, you don't physically have anything. I can keep a piece of paper basically forever if I'm motivated enough. Digital information is inherently much more vulnerable, and only short-term con-artists or long-term idiots will invest in them. If you're unfamiliar, read about Derrida's archive theory for more information about digital decay and the problems with trying to preserve it.

and MtG cards are limited why?

its not like a gold statue, its a piece of fucking printed digital art on cardboard that costs probably 20 cents to print

>In a less extreme example, some hacker could make 10^99 copies and distribute them to everyone.

>hacking into online video games to create content that can be moved around

thats not how hacking works bro. CSGO has existed for several years now and I'm pretty sure it is impossible to hack it to add shit, otherwise it would have been done already

especially in EVE Online

You're trying to be argumentative. Magic is limited to drive up demand, the same way basically everything is. What you're describing is the perceived inter-subjective value of an item relative to its use. A powerful magic card has a distinct function in the context of the game. A limited sniper skin is just that, a fancy pattern that no one really cares about because it doesn't contribute anything to the game outside of its rarity. One commodity has staying power because its value is tied to its use and rarity, while the other is arbitrarily valuable based on limited market accesses to something that looks neat.

Black Lotus isn't valuable because it's rare, it's valuable because it's arguably the best card in magic. The same can be said about a lot of the power 9. The same cannot be said for a limited 1-of error print, unless it's already involving a valuable card.

>At least the magic card is printed on a piece of paper. I can stick that piece of paper in a sock drawer and it will remain essentially the same thing. Sure the game might change, values might go up or down, doesn't really matter, you have a physical artifact of tangible value.

>TANGIBLE VALUE
>MtG Card

pure autism right here

The name "Richard" is shortened to "Dick" sometimes.

That has zero bearing on the fact that the value of the card is entirely based on an economy created by the creator of the cards, which has nothing to do with them being tanglible.

>Black Lotus isn't valuable because it's rare, it's valuable because it's arguably the best card in magic.
>Black Lotus isn't valuable because it's rare,

oh so if Wizards printed 100k more copies, it shouldnt affect the price right?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

>Had Sol Ring been printed as a rare it would definetly have taken the slot from Timetwister
timetwister is literally "2U, draw seven cards"

if you can't see the power in that, you need to stop playing magic.

>Black Lotus isn't valuable because it's rare, it's valuable because it's arguably the best card in magic.

Uh, yes it fucking is. You seriously think hardcore collectors pouring who the fuck knows how many thousands of dollars into acquiring small pieces of cardboard do it because it's the most powerful piece of cardboard around?

More to the point, misprints can be valuable as fuck, which has nothing to do with their power. It's rarity, and you're a fucking retard for thinking otherwise.

No, it's not impossible to hack it to add shit. What happens is that the game independently verifies the identity of the item relative to the amount produced and then cross-references it with those who already have said item.

In that context, since the server is constantly checking the identity of an item, it's very difficult to hack an item into a public steam game because steam is a 3rd party who is paid a lot of money to verify their transactions. That isn't to say it's impossible, in fact it's relatively easy to fake, it just requires constant diligence to ensure they're real.

>Durr, strawman intentionally misrepresenting the argument because they don't want to do any reading

It's not an economy created by the creator of the cards you dumbass, it's an economy created by the aggregate subjective demands of individuals in the context of a game. Get out of here with your poor reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.

Look at entombed. The value went up with the reprint. There are lots of single cards that arent valuable while also being incredibly rare.

You're an idiot. Rarity and usefulness have a strong correlation to value. Some misprints are valuable, 99.999% of them aren't. The only valuable misprints are on already valuable and useful cards, or the extreme misprints. A slightly misaligned boarder on a basic land is worth fuck all, despite being indisputably unique.

>it's valuable because it's arguably the best card in magic.

oh that explains baseball cards!

they're really powerful! If I play Honus Wagner, I win the world series!

Baseball isn't the same thing as magic you fuckwit, it's more analogous to that sniper skin, except it's intrinsically different based on being a physical commodity.

Honus Wagner is valuable because it's over 100 years old, printed in incredibly limited supply as a result, and baseball collectors are almost entirely speculative investors. Honus Wagner isn't valuable, the specific circumstances of the production of that specific card are valuable because there is no context outside of collecting which they can be useful.

Only if someone doesn't counter your Honus Wagner.

>ITS SO EZ TO HACK VIDEO GAMES LUL

its also easy to buy counterfeit magic cards

>BUT THEY IZ FAKE! THEY HAS NO VALUE!

it looks the same, feels the same, even tastes the same. why should it matter?

I can buy a replica of a Monet piece. does the replica of the Monet piece cost several million?

>printed in incredibly limited supply

oh gee, just like Black Lotus

user, this is the only reply you will get, because as a cretin, you're more interested in hyperbole than actual discussion. A counterfit magic card is contingent on far more properties than counterfeit digital information which can be readily accessed if you really want to. In order to accurately counterfeit a magic card, you basically need the same equipment, dyes, and stock it was originally printed on, plus sufficient age to make it look believable. That's not the same as copying digital information from one place to another.

>Oh gee, I totally missed the point, better scramble for the first thing that resembles my point and reply with one line of greentext
You're a DENSE motherfucker. If black lotus was just rare, it'd be expensive but not world breaking. Since it's rare and useful, it's inherently more valuable than it would be otherwise outside of context. Since baseball was printed explicitly as a collection of arbitrary cardboard, with no purpose outside collecting them, they can only be as valuable as circumstance and demand dictate. In the context of a collector's collection. Black Lotus on the other hand is valuable to anyone who plays magic based on its effect, AS WELL AS being valuable in the context of a collection.

>Since it's rare and useful

They aren't useful, you cannot play vintage in paper realistically. it's value is mostly derived from it's rarity.

Good point; I hadn't thought of EDH. Timetwister might be more powerful than Recall in that format

Buying industrial products to hide away "while they become expensive" is never a good idea. New shit is made by the billions, drowning in competition and something can actually upset the status quo, it just gets bought by companies to stop interfering with their bottom line.

The power nine are valuable because they are good, but mostly because there's less than one fifth of them in the whole world than any modern Mythic and they cannot be reprinted ever.

THIS