Which system would best fit a game based on Doom, with the players as marines fighting demons...

Which system would best fit a game based on Doom, with the players as marines fighting demons? I was thinking Savage Worlds, personally, but I'd like some second opinions.

Savage Worlds would work extremely well with some minor houseruling (mostly around shotguns, because they're fucking broken RAW).
I've been considering it for a Marathon-based campaign after replaying 2.

Could always fall back on Dark Heresy if nothing else works.

>(mostly around shotguns, because they're fucking broken RAW)
He did say he wanted game based on Doom.

Even with Doom you can still fucking miss with one, with SW RAW you can't because they get a huge bonus

Still, Savage Worlds works well because characters are very, very mobile. Moving gives you no penalty to firing unless you're using something with the Snapfire quality, so you can dart around while blasting away

Something light and fast that doesn't get bogged down by convoluted, exact mechanics and keeps that RIP AND TEAR feel, but is still grounded enough that things feel concrete and straightforward.

Savage Worlds is a good fit, really.

In the 2.5D games (which are the relevant ones) you really had to actively try to miss with the SSG too, considering there was no Z-axis and the spread covered about half of your screen. IT was more a matter of aiming it so you got as much murder per shot as possible, but you always got at least SOME murder per shot. That's why we love the SSG, after all!

>In the 2.5D games (which are the relevant ones)

OP started with a picture of the new Doom. Which kinds of implies it's relevant here.

I think he's subtly cramming in the fact that he doesn't like the new one for some grognard cred despite the new one being legitimately good.

Savage Worlds had been recommended a bunch and it's a top choice for sure!

Probably use Savage Armory so the weapons list has some semblance of sanity to it.

OP here, I like them all. That was just the first image that came up when I googled "Doomguy".

I was suggesting nothing of the sort! I admit I was surprised when I tried the demo and discovered the game actually WAS good, despite every presentation of it previously making it look bad.

But when someone says "like Doom" I'd generally assume he's talking about (Ultimate) Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom style, fast-paced running around gunning down and shredding demons by the hundreds, rather than Doom 64 or Doom 3 style games with more of a horror inclination over action.

Plus, you know, the population on this site is old enough that those games ARE the definitive ones.

Literally the only things I find wrong with the weapons list as-is are shotguns being broken and the AK and G3 needing their statblocks swapped, I don't get why people say "oh, the standard weapons list is insane"

Doom 2016 is a nice twist on the Doom formula. It keeps everything from OG Doom and then adds the verticality of Quake 3, which is a huge boon to the sheer joy of playing it, in my opinion. And on top of that, unlocking all the runes and fully upgrading your suit puts the game in fast forward, and it was already fast as fuck to begin with!

My GOTY so far.

>CTRL+F deathwatch
>0 results
Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Traveller. It does gunplay very well. Just need to stat out the average doom monsters and your good. Statting out things is piss easy in Traveller, and there's a creature generator you can base your shit on. Get the Mongoose Traveller core rulebook and you're good to go.

I never liked Deathwatch, really.The other40k RPGs seem so much more interesting to play.

...Exalted?

1-Get Phoenix Command
2-Your STR stat is STR +3, STR influence base speed that will influence max speed. So you will be faster.
So when something on the system ask for STR you actually tell STR + 3
3-Use the basic hit location table of the main book for simplicity
4-Damage total that will be used to discover when you will die, is divided by 25 to look at a table
Some damage (400) that would leave you with 1% chance of surviving, will give you now 85% chance of surviving.
Some damage that would automatically kill you makes under this houserule you have 66% chance of survival

Forgot to add an important one.
You check if you will die, everytime you receive damage, there is no timer to see when you will die

An OSR hack could probably do wonders.

After all, Doom is a dungeon crawl at the end of the day.

Plus if you look at the original Doom's code, it actually plays somewhat like an RPG under the hood. Hit chance and damage are determined by dice, for example.

I did not know this. Sounds neat. I wish I knew the first thing about coding so as to look at how they statted out damage and health under the hood.

Some of the mechanics are hilarious.

For example, the BFG 9000 fired 40 invisible hitscan "rays", each one doing 15d8 damage.

That's rolling to hit 40 individual times, potentially having to roll 600 d8's to determine how much damage you did with a single attack. DOOM makes FATAL look like a chump.

Hit chance? That can't be right, everything in Doom is either hitscan or a slow moving projectile you can physically dodge by moving out of its way.

Well then. I think Doom officially *needs* to be done OSR if that's the case.

How would one make an OSR-inspired Doom game?

I would take a Fighter of some kind as the basis for Doomguy. Then I would go one of two ways:

1) Doomguy is static. Figure out a level where his HD would be relative to monsters as Doomguy is relative to the monsters in the game.

2) You level up as normal. Leveling up represents getting better at the game. Probably start at Level 3.

Weapon damage is as close to the programming as possible.

Old school monsters aren't giant stat blocks. They are efficiently presented. This works well with Doom monsters because then you don't have to meticulously build them for your game. Just give them Hit Points, Armor Class, THAC0, Damage, and anything noteworthy.

I don't know which version of D&D to use though. Probably just throw together everything that works.

There's been a couple of third party sci-fi supplements for various editions. Amethyst Foundations for 4e, and Amethyst Quintessence for 5e. It's not OSR of course, but I've heard good things about them.

>marines fighting demons
How has no one said Deathwatch? It can handle anything from suplexing carnifexes to slaughtering hordes of inconsequential gribblies. Just give it a quick refluff and a buffed point buy and you're good to go.

Yeah the new Doom is fucking great. It sets out knowing exactly what it wants to do, and it NAILS IT.

DOOM was originally inspired by an AD&D campaign where Romero released demon's upon the world ending it, there is a youtube clip about it somewhere.

And then there's Sandy Petersen, creator of Call of Cthulhu, who was also involved in the production of Doom.

Maybe a homebrew system that cobbles together elements of AD&D and Call of Cthulhu.

I don't know how to tell you this but...

The setting is inspired by demons and fantasy elements (and yes that stems from a D&D game)

but AD&D is a terrible system for guns, rocket launchers and instant-use stimpacks, no magic and very little melee.

You want a system that does guns well, and is set in the future where plasma guns, instant healing packs, armor upgrades, computers, combat stims and teleporters are a thing.

imo Traveller fits this perfectly.

ITT: grognards try to push their shitty system onto the rest of the gaming community.

D&D's combat is abysmal.

Then present a superior option, prove why it's better than old school D&D, and why it's a good choice for Doom.

Deathwatch could work. I even had the idea of UAC taking genetic material from the Doom Marine and bio-augmenting people, creating even more (but overall less powerful) Doom Marines.

That said I'm wondering how to handle Chapters.

A variant on 3:16 - Carnage Amongst the Stars might work, since already it's basically Starship Troopers - the RPG (movie or book).

Damage isn't measured in HP, it's measured in 'kills'. A machine gun does so many alien kills per round.

Deathwatch?

So you get a bucket full of 40 different colored sets of 15 d8s and chuck it all out??????

came here to say this