Warhammer Fantasy General: Beastie Edition

Warhammer Fantasy General: Beastie Edition

Talk about all Warhammer Fantasy products and lore. Please be courteous and try to limit your End Times fluff discussion since its mostly seen as just the start of Age of Sigmar.

Link to last thread: >1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times (Compilation of all the End Times changes)
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy (All pages marked WF on the Veeky Forums wiki)

>Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy
mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook (Hardback).pdf (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki (Warhammer Online wiki with lots of background articles too. Also AoR is not ded: Veeky Forums for details.)

>Resources(Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S (embed)
www.pastebin.com/0e6RuQux (embed)
>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

>Third party Miniature manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk (embed)

>List of Warhammer recommended proxies
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/

>Rescued WHFRP 2e Fan Material (Please download and post any material you find not in this collection)
mega.nz/#F!apdlzArL!-j3HfTPkpJFu_tk9H0HQ_A

That point was already addressed, One unclear line in the 8th edition rulebook that doesn't definitively state anything that relies on knowledge of the 40k universe is hard to use to contradict years of established fluff.

Maybe they were leaving it open for debate and personal army fluffing by leaving it obscure.

But then again maybe a one of their writers that's too used to writing novels, rules, etc... for 40k accidentally slipped it in there.
Seeing as it's not mentioned again in the entire book and GW is not known for their editing when it comes to fluff quality control.

I like this art style.

>It was general anti-Goblinoid feeling, coupled with religious mania that resulted in the banishment of the Half-Orc population from Nuln, one of the Human settlements on the borders of the Old World. The Half-Orcs resented this very deeply.
>Such a Half-Orc was Mudat Brokenbone. After spending several years organising the Half-Orc Tonayl tribe (most of whom had turned to cattle rustling and ambushing travelers), Mudat put his new army into operation. With his warharnmer in his hand and revenge on his mind, he led the Tonayl horde against the town of Nuln. Resistance soon crumbled and the body of the unfortunate town champion was impaled on a pole, later becoming the regimental standard.
>The Tonayls wandered the borders of the Dark Lands; fighting in a number of wars for both Orc and Human paymasters. Proving themselves to be unreliable and unscrupulous mercenaries in the best Half-Orc tradition. >However, during the battle of Gonnear, after changing sides for the third time that day, Mudat was crushed by the infamous Goblin general Grom, 'The Paunch of Misty Mountain'. Their leader slain, the Tonayls dispersed into the wilderness under the command of the company Champion and paymaster Earwangle.

Hi, guys! I'm painting up a 4th edition era Empire army and I'm looking for a reference for these Marauder flagellants.

I vaguely remember seeing a picture of them fighting skeletons, with trees in the background.

I've look through all of my old books and can't find it. Do you have it saved by any chance or know which book its in?

Frankenstein proxy?

They were result of warp magic Sauron/Saruman style, not from sexual reproduction. as described here

Think they're 3rd ed models... so they should show up in a ton of White Dwarf issues... and the WFB Empire Armies book for 3rd.

Nope. Friend's converted giant. "Frankie".

I haven't checked old WD's but I've looked at the old books and haven't seen it. I can't remember which book I saw it in, but I remember it being at the top of a page. It's the only picture of these models I've seen in a publication besides a catalogue.

I think the book was 5th edition, but I checked those too.

Jesus Christ, you'd better give those models a large helping of Agrax Earthshade.

>mfw T9A lore has SpOrcs and Orcginas in the same continuity
>mfw Half-Orcs get added as an alternative army

think its just them being sloppy
the full OG isnt out yet right?

Nope. Only TK and WE. I think OK is next.

>crossbreeding in the distant past
>evil magics used to ensure it
Doesn't always imply that it's Slann tier gene tampering.

Warhammer Armies describes them as being "of mixed ancestry" and that the greenskin ancestor could have been hobgoblin or goblin.

Implying that the "evil perverted magic" could just be Chaos Dwarfs, evil wizards, etc... making their greenskin minions rape humans; or more likely making them genetically compatible enough for fertilization to occur.

Though to be entirely fair the Warhammer Armies book was also the book that introduced the extremely racist Pygmy faction.

So take it or leave it canon and lore wise and nobody will blame you either way.

>not liking Orcginas

Fucking disgusting.

So, I was playing TW:WH and brutally killed archaon and his cronies.

What would happen if archaon was to get blammed and chaos defeated?

>What would happen if archaon was to get blammed and chaos defeated?
GW would retcon it and only leave it as an alternate universe.

Much like what happened during the real life Storm of Chaos global campaign.

Fluff wise?
Everchosens have been defeated before, multiple times actually.

The forces of chaos retreat back to Norsca and the Chaos Wastes and then in a few hundred years another chieftain proves himself worthy of the title and leads a new war against humanity.

If you play 40k just imagine the black crusades.
Archaon is literally Abbadon; a witless retard beaten multiple times that the developers have an extreme erection for.

They can't let him lose because he's their favorite character but they've self-inserted and written his character in such a way that he could never be a winner.

>unclear line.
>a line straight up calling them spores.
>In the latest edition core rulebook.

I don't know why you're so eager to reject such a pointless fact. The older stuff has obviously been retconned.

I was more interested in what would happen to the old world in the aftermath. In the campaign I am playing now, the dwarves and the empire was blammed pretty heavily. Bretonnia was spared the brunt of the invasion and allied with the empire but now they are kind of in a cold war with bretonnians trying to claim land in the empire. (Marienburg is a vassal of Bretonnia for example), while the empire is recovering thanks to some generous donations from myself.

I like both. Superior canon lets you choose which yours are.

>I don't know why you're so eager to reject such a pointless fact.
Because it's one line that contradicts a ton of interesting material that give a little bit of life to the setting.

Going from "orcs have women, home villages and cities, and have bred with humans in the past" with multiple lore bits focused on this to "the greenskins came from the forests with their spores" is disappointing.

It's like finding a one-liner at the end of a rulebook mentioning that the city of Nuln has been destroyed.
No detail, no mention of how it happened, no discussion of what happened to the culture and people of the city, just "nuln got overran".

It's sloppy in that it wasn't expounded upon in the least before they decided to just end the entire setting.

Wiping away a huge part of fluff that gave the setting a good flavor and replacing it with literal 40k ripoff canon is laziness.

But also easier to trademark and defend against intellectual property theft I guess.

GW continuity stopped counting when they did End Times. That aside, GW rejects the concept of continuity anyway with the statement that everything is canon, not everything is true. Spores are the current "canon" but could easily just be what Empire dumbasses think.

Threadly reminder that none of this shit is canon.

Nothing was ever canon. Except Archaonwank, which is reason enough to give no fucks.

Spores may just have meant how the Old ones considered Orcs an afterthought.

Also the Greenskins do have at least some spore-based side organisms like squigs and possibly snotlings which is a possible explanation.

>I was more interested in what would happen to the old world in the aftermath.
Chaos beasts, Norscan raiders, and many daemons would have been left behind by accident in the route.

You'd have corrupted villages and Norse bandits raiding for years to come as they dispersed across the Empire.

They'd eventually be rooted out by witch hunters and the like but it would be just another cancer to deal with.

Well technically not, considering that GW dropped the entire setting.

The new AoS universe refers to Warhammer as "the world that never was".
So if you want to be a GW fanboy then none of this ever happened ever.

I killed archaon in TW:WH, he dropped a pigen plucker pendant
This is now canon.

I figure either spores or sex is a mutation, not through Chaos but through their own bizarre biology and possibly drinking Night Goblin booze.

Any tips for adventure ideas for my WHFRP Campaign. I've had Katl Franz killed off and am planning to have the empire plunge into a civil war based off of the thirty years war, with the cult of Ulric and the cult of sigmas being the main factions, after the new empower bans worship of Ulric as he is a devote sigmarite.However I am now at a loss as to how to have the party involved as they are only halfway through their first career and was wondering if anyone here could help me.

>WHFRP
>Trying to do a world changing empire spanning campaign

This isn't DnD my man.
Your players are baby schmucks who can die from getting tapped too hard on the soft spot on their heads.

If you really want them involved in a meaningful way rip off one of the Empire BL books.

>they're searching houses for enemies while soldiering
>find the body of an imperial messenger dead in the attic
>take their findings to their commander
>commander tells them that it's now their job to hunt down the assassin
>turns out that their commander was a bad guy the entire time and the assassin is ready for them
>they deal with assassin
>they go back and silently assassinate commander and vacate
>they find a scroll listing traitorous compatriots and can chose a side, either going to a name on the list and asking to help/join, killing off the people listed, or taking the list to the other side so they know the enemies in their midst

Don't have them try to do anything drastic like lead a civil war or fight dragons/giants, man.

Even fighting an ogre the party should have like a 50-75% fatality rate.

>Katl Franz
NO
YOU HAD TO PROTECT THAT SMILE

NOT PROTECTING THAT SMILE DOES NOT HAVE MY CONSENT

>tfw no Karl Franz x Morathi/Alarielle fics
>tfw no information of his wife and kids during End Times
Fuck GW, KFC is better than Shitmar.
But it does SUMMON THE ELECTOR COUNTS.

GW makes wargames, nit civilian games.

That's why you'll never see something as pointless as a mystery solved by a vampire barmaid in (current GW IP). Just war, fought by men, with none of the boring or emotional parts. A narrative equivalent of one big God Of War quicktime event.

Jokes on you God of War become dad x son relationships simulator.

>The new AoS universe refers to Warhammer as "the world that never was".

Actually it's referred to as "the world that was" which is literally the opposite of what you seem to think. How can you be so wrong?

Yeah. Until he dies in the prologue.

You know its going to happen.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who types that phrase out deserves an AoS Archaon shoved up their ass sideways.

so i only got into this through twwh and i recently had a look at the chaos warriors army book, specifically chosen

i had a question regarding their reward of chaos ability/eye of the gods rule

lets say you have a chosen champion and roll a 12, turning him into a demon prince

how powerful is this/how much of an edge would this give you in a tabletop game ?

Same for anyone who uses "Aelves" and "Seraphon" and whatnot.

As time goes on I'm warming up to AoS bit by bit, but they're still fucking Lizardmen and Orcs and Elves.

The Skarsnik novel also talks about sporcs.

Maybe Lizardmen is a low-Imperial slang for Seraphon.

There's a line in the newest released book.

The skarsnik novel talks about spore squigs.

I didn't see anything about Orcs and I read it a couple days ago.

That refers to it as the world that was.

What was the bit of art that inspired you to get into Warhammer Fantasy, folks? It was this on the cover of the first White Dwarf I bought, which made me start collecting High Elves.

>finally bought the Dragon after about 8 years of dithering about it
>it still holds up better than some kits released this year

My best friend's older brother played lizardmen, so when we were really little growing up we played games of pretend as lizardmen based on snippits of fluff we knew. Looking back it was pretty autistic, but also quite fun. Many many years later i bit the bullet and moved from IG 40k into my own lizardman army. So i guess for me it was the real oldschool lizardmen, the Slann priest on his plinth was just so cool.

Afterwards i feel in love with the badass moustaches and rifles of the empire of Sigmar, but age of Shitmar dropped before i actually made the jump and i never ended up buying them. Rip hopes and dreams. Now i live my master of ordanance warhammer fantasies through the Warsword Conquest mod for Mount and Blade

No.

Unless Seraphon is Elf slang for whatever they really are.

Seraphon is a terrible name.

Dumb opinion.

There wouldn't be a daemonslayer career or stats for giants if you weren't expected to kill one at the edge of a campaign now and then.

If this is occurring just after the Storm, the Sigmarites might have a schism too, since Valten is dead and Johan Esmer is still butthurt about being made to gtfo.

Honestly what your players do depends on what power level they start at.

Apparently all we know about Franz's daughter is that she's bangable. I don't think she even has a name.

I don't think even Morathi is kinky enough to polish KF's warhammer.

>tfw nobody answers you

on another note, is sigvald any good as a lord in the tabletop ?

Which edition, duder

8e

Not as much as you would think. Ir will only make him a bigger target for artillery fire.

Sure he would wreck shit in melee, but it's doubtful your opponent will let him get close

alright ty
and what about sigvald ?

Don't know much, but i think he's basically the fantasy version of Lucius the Eternal. Crazy strong in duels but overall weak as a commander

well ty, would probably still be better than in twwh

what would be a good lord choice then ?

Has anyone here tried using Tabletop Simulator to play Warhammer Fantasy Battle? There are several really good 3d model sets for a lot of the teams, but i am curious if it works well/is not terrible clunky to play this way?

TTS as a whole is incredibly clunky and the devs are mostly incompetent. It works for boardgames and limited figure miniature games, but that's it.

No good then eh? That is a shame, i was hoping to finally run my MOAR GUNZ empire army that i always wanted

AoS user here, and Pic related, and other examples of Warriors of Chaos not at war. Something about these brutal warriors simply marching or standing about look so badass and menacing. They're the reason Im getting into Warrior of Chaos. As for Vampire counts, I just like Vampires and the undead

On tabletop chaos sucks enough. A good go-to option would be a magoc user like a demon prince of nurgle or slaanesh. Tzeentch lore is a bit shit afaik.

If you're going for a human-centered army, either a khorne chosen on juggernaut or a magic user on a disc of tzeentch for mobility

Consider this. Eye of the gods can either give you a boon or fuck you over. One on one duels are not much of use if your army crumbles around the champion

this is the perfect image

I wish salamanders were still cannons.

Wait, what are salamanders? Chaos Lizardmen?

>what are salamanders?
the orange, fire-spitting lizards?

They used to function more as artillery than short-range support.

Seeing this as one of the older White Dwarfs' cover art, from around the storm of chaos or before I think

I couldnt find a larger version of this so if someone has one i'd be much obliged

Thank you, I am well aware of the limitations of a WHFRP campaign and don't intend to have the players leading large armies. I was planning more for them to possibly do mercenary work in the midst of the conflict but was wondering what would be missions that a small party could go on during the war. I've also set it up so that the Lahmians are responsible for setting the turmoil, as they and the von Carsteins are are both making power plays in the chaos. So what would you recommend ?

Nah, the lizard things in that guys picture. Are Salamanders no longer canon? Dont they have mini's?

CANNON and CANON are different words

Ralamanders (the orange, fire-spitting lizards) functioned as long-range artillery (CANNONS) in 5th edition.

Assassinations, spying, running lost messages. They might also get tied up in the war from the criminal end: smuggling is going to go bonanza during a war economy, with taxes high and supplies scarce. It could be as simple as finding the right corpse in a room at a coaching inn or a dead messenger and suddenly they're in on the intrigue.

As a rule, Lahmians don't do civil wars. They're about the long game, and behind secularist movements in the Old World. The Von Carsteins have tried the civil war ploy before, actually - during the Ulrika novels, they try to do just what they accomplish in your prospective game.

The PCs might easily end up working for a Lahmian or a von Carstein without even knowing it, though the former is much more likely.

I know I'm a newfag, but this is what made me realize Warhammer wasn't Nazi cyborgs (what I thought Space Marines were) played by obese socially crippled men in their 40's.

Seeing a brilliant example of some wonderfuly awesome fantasy battle between shining soldiers of good and the vile forces of darkness.

See, everything I had seen previously while browsing miniatures for my 3.5 D&D games looked like Warriors of Chaos and Space Marines, and that bulky aesthetic never looked good to me.

Wow, now I feel like a idiot because I skipped over the text entirely while focusing on the picture. Still, what are those Lizard things? They dont look like Normal lizardmen.

its lizardmen
Just old art

Yeah but his guys are jut starting out.

Wow, thats pretty crazy. Those guys in the picture look almost more like Chaos or Orcs rather than Lizardmen. Just goes to show much a concept can change.

>Hey, those elves don't look like pansies, they have axes!
>this might be a good setting.

> "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen
- Me as a 10 y/o

Not gonna lie, even though I never played any chaos-aligned faction, this guy on the 6th ed. Hordes of Chaos army books got me in the game.

Please help me choose a T9A army.
Having played Beastmen for years under 8th, I'm fucking sick of them and want something completely different. I've tried to do this logically by ranking armies, but I can't stick to a single idea. Please give me some advice on the matter.

I'm looking for an army with extreme maneuverability and wonky movement/deployment rules. Things like Vanguard, Ambush, Scout and Fliers are exactly what I want.
I also want 'reach' rather than raw firepower. I want the ability to reach over the table and hit things, whether that be from ridiculous speed or simple long-ranged weapons and artillery.
I'd like a token nod to combat just to keep my opponent interested, and I straight-up do not give a shit about magic. Any spells I would have, I'd prefer magic missiles over buffs/debuffs.

I've narrowed it down to a favourite few and am looking for the least-obnoxious to play against.

> Lizardmen
Skink-heavy, lots of flying and scout units. Modelled as fishmen for reasons.
> Dwarfs
Gyro-spam, Miners and Slayers.
> Bretonnia
Pegasus-heavy and lots of smelly Peasants
> Goblins
Pure Goblins with a shitload of chariots, wolves and giants.

Which would be the least-bad to fight against?

I kind of like the old school Lizardmen look.

What about a spirit heavy Vampire Counts army? Use Ghouls as your core, and spend the rest on spooky ghosts, Bats and fast beasties? And vampires themselves can be fast and hard hitting.

Although, I think Lizardmen could also do it. I'd love to hear the background of why they look aquatic.

No High Elf Shadow Warriors, Scouting Spearmen, and flying Chariots?

I strongly dislike Elves after dealing with them all the way through 7th and 8th edition. Admittedly that was more the players than the army. I haven't looked at them at all in 9th but I'll try that now.

I was considering that one for a while, until my most-regular opponent took up Vampires. In the interest of group diversity I'm not really considering them.
Fish-wise, I'm thinking a temple city that sunk because of not!Cthulhu and became not!R'Lyeh. Lots of tentacles and extravagant monster conversions.
Pic related is a Bastiladon/Thyroscutus.

I can only speak as a HE fluff player, but the army is fun.
The problem was association with cunty WAAC players, and actually having to actively avoid the OP unit combinations.

But that isn't really a problem in 9th, and no WAAC faggot takes Skycutters and Shadow Warriors or the non-Teclis/Korhil special characters.

Still, I do play for fluff and models and if the HE ones doesn't interest you then skip 'em.

Dorfs only get a bad rep for their gunlines and cannons, melee Dorfs are great opponents. I have no experience with the other two though, sorry.

I like the idea of there being a underwater temple city, filled with fishy Lizardmen, but im hesitant to see Lizardmen of any sort become corrupted by anything. Afterall, they are the first and most loyal servants of the Old Ones. But, I could see it happening, especially if isnt chaos, and if its almost like Sotek; they still worship the Old Ones, but now they have a new figure head to it. Or you could go full mystery with it. Either way, look at stuff like Wrath of King's House Hadross or Deepwars for some good, underwater beasties.

What if the corruption came from the last surviving Old One, left insane and physically deformed from the Gates collapse. Still pursuing their anti-Chaos survival plan underneath all the insanity and ruthless morality is a possible character hook.

I'd just be aware of inserting such a massive plot twist into a setting that requires their death as a fairly constant fluff point.

Hm. Honestly, im pretty open to any sort of fluff, so long as its intresting and doesnt have instant and world shattering effects. Play it up as a mystery; the Lizardmen believe that the creature sleeping below their temple is a Old One, still recovering from the collapse. But there is both evidence for and against it, and right now, only their Slann knows the truth. Maybe they're right; it is indeed a wounded old one. Or perhaps, even worse, they are wrong.

Speaking of Lizardmen, what do they do in their freetime?

Unexist.

They're either training, hunting, out on patrol or standing guard over something when they aren't fighting. Saurus are known to stand in one place so long dust starts collecting on them. Lizardmen don't really have a concept of "free time" since they pretty much do what they Re programmed to don

Saurus don't really get free time, being essentially robots. I imagine their idea of free time would be guard or garrison duty, protecting the cities and sacred sites against treasure hunters and being vigilant for Chaos/Skaven corruption.
Other activities might include training, breaking steeds or hunting for food. Patrols are probably a regular thing as well.

Skinks would be running the show in terms of managing food production, rebuilding efforts and monster farming. Weapons have to be smithed somewhere and a few will be attendants to the Slann, keeping them fed and recording the stars.

Kroxigor will be similar to the Saurus with more emphasis on physical lifting and rebuilding efforts.

Where do Zoats live?

Anyone have any fluff on them?

Alright, I liked the first 2 Ulrika novels but in the third I'm mostly cheering for her to get burnt.

Yeah. She reverts back to her Gotrek and Felix self in book 2 and 3.

Storm of Magic mentions them.

>She reverts back to her Gotrek and Felix self in book 2 and 3.
Bitchy and naggy?

To be honest her entire character in Gotrek and Felix feel like the writer was having marital issues.

Tyranid Hiveships. :^)