How to make a demon non edgy? Something not too serious but not a complete goofball either. Make him like kids...

How to make a demon non edgy? Something not too serious but not a complete goofball either. Make him like kids? Have him addicted to sugar and get into actual lives threatening sperg out if he can't get it?

That would be comedic.

Give him a real personality with real motivations for eff's sake.

>Have him addicted to sugar and get into actual lives threatening sperg out if he can't get it?

That's goofball. You'll want to make him slightly edgy but not pointlessly so.

Instead of indiscriminately killing people, make him follow a personal code of not killing helpless people, but turning those capable of fighting into mush.

Have a non-edgy bloke become the demons but retain their personality.

Make him smart. That's about it. But then, the whole reason people want to have a demon in most campaigns (to look COOL and EDGY) is exactly what an actual demon wouldn't be like, so it's a contradiction.

Either you portray them as smarter and more powerful than most human beings (in which case your PCs are fucked), or he's an edgelord.

Make sure to establish that he's not completely flat. He's not evil all the time or, at the very least, he's not always evil in the same way.

>How to make a demon non edgy?
Depends on the setting.

No, seriously, it depends on what "demon" means in the setting. It can refer to any number of different things in any number of different contexts, and even if we stick with the most obvious basic concepts, many of them have nothing in common with each other.

Depending on what a demon is, there are many possible answers to your question. Some versions of them are inherently edgy, and all you can do is try to do it well instead of avoiding it. Others will make it easy to avoid whatever it is you mean by "edgy" without overemphasizing that you're not-edgy.

Are they mysterious extradimensional beings who have their own strange agendas? Then it should be simple: give him an agenda that is more "strange" than "evil". It should, however, be one that is internally consistent and makes sense, at least to the demon. Maybe he likes collecting something, or wants to promote a certain art form by inspiring those who practice it. A lot of things could work, as long as it stays "alien" and isn't just "random".

Are they angels who turned against God? Then you'll have to ask yourself why someone would want to do that, and that depends on what God is like in your setting, and on what the angel was originally like. Some might call anything that involves doubting religion "edgy", but that's more of a problem than a guideline.

Are they literal incarnations of evil and sin? Then instead of one who acts evil to show how much better he is than stupid childish good guys, he might act "classy" to show how much better he is than stupid teenage edgy guys. Basically, edginess is a contrarian rebellion against whatever is mainstream and commonplace, but has become its own contrary commonplace; so a not-edgy demon would be rebelling against that instead. Or acting like he is, while still being an evil asshole, much like a lot of edgy types act like they're "better" than morality while still feeling entitled to it from others.

make human as possible.
like Albert Simon from shadow hearts

Human like demons always betray their own kind and suck up to humanity it's gay as fuck and reeks of HFY which is the most cancerous cliche in all fiction.

Just give him non-edgy reasons to do what he does, and otherwise be a somewhat "normal" guy.

For example:

The professional: self-explanatory. He'll do things both good, and bad, for a price. His word means a lot to him, and he takes pride in his efficiency. in a campaign I was in we once encountered a demons at had wiped out an entire village. It turns out he had been contracted to keep a man's son alive, and to do that he had soulbound the kid to a journal, and was protecting it from the villagers. We burned the journal, and he left without a word.

The scapegoat: he's a demon, yeah. Did he do everything that's being blamed on him? No. Does anyone else believe that? No. In another campaign a character of mine gained the title of "demon king", and was changed with treason. He had freed the entire local slave populace in a city he had legally been granted, and instituted a system of serfdom with a bit of fair labor practices in it's stead. The local government feared he was gaining too much influence, and the inquisition razed the city for "heresy".

I think you're kinda missing the point of demons if you try to do this.

>How to make a demon non edgy?

So you want to make a demon not a demon?
You know that's what a demon is right? They corrupt the innocent, they terrify good men into inaction, they blackmail those with secrets into doing their bidding, they seduce the weak and ambitious, and where they can't control someone directly they work indirectly to manoeuvre the good and righteous into situations where there are only bad choices to be made.

They exist to fuck up the world and everyone in it. They are chaos incarnate, railing against purity, goodness, innocence and order any way they can. That is the nature of demons, that is the demonic archetype. They're not creatures of flesh and blood who must abide by the laws of whatever reality in which they exist, they are the antithesis of reality, they are existential-contrarianism personified.

You can't make a demon non-edgy without stopping them from being a demon.

One of those characters act like a demon. The other doesn't.

>the edgy
I cut myself reading at that.

Simple, one word.

"AKU"

Make him 'benevolent' for an evil definition of benevolent.

I once ran my group against a demon known as Tutor Of One Thousand Butchers. A being of Chaos and Evil that provided the promise of power in return for favors and tasks, but with the overarching goal of the tasks be teaching those that walked his path 'important moral lessons'.

As a being of chaos and evil, these lessons basically boiled down to "Civilization has bound you in chains. 'Do not kill'. 'No not steal'. 'Treat the weak with the same respect as you do the strong'. These are lies, and they are holding you back from GREATNESS."
"I can see that greatness is you now. Only a glimmer of it, to be sure. But together, we can make you radiant."
"Good is about saying no. Restricting you. Making you a slave to others. Embracing weakness."
"Evil is about saying Yes, and damn the collateral. Forging your own path and changing the world to suit your desires. Proving your strength."
"And with my help, you will be strong indeed. Until my help is no longer needed, and this world will shake at the very mention of your name."
"Don't believe in Good. Believe in the Evil that believes in you!"

And, in a stunning twist, he never betrays the party. He legitimately just wants them to realize their potential and do whatever they please.

What they please can even help other people, or be to oppose him. So long as it is what they they have chosen for themselves, free from the laws, restrictions, and considerations of others... then even if they choose to perform acts of good they are walking the path of Best Evil.

The dude's name is "6Juggernaut Star Scours the Universe".

He rides a flaming motorcycle made of skeletons bound together and impaled upon a burning wheel.

He basically walked off of the cover of a metal album and the train hasn't stopped since.

He is a very minor villain. Largely unimportant.

What is edgy?

Baby don't hurt me.
Don't hurt me.
No more.

Thing I don't like.

>Be Barbed Devil
>Spikes all over body
>Summoned by mortal
>All I want is love
>Embrace summoner
>Impale them with body
>Return back to Hell
>Bullied by demons
>Call me edgy fuck
>Never had edgey fucks
>Only dealt with pricks

dafuq is that even edgy

Make him "the greatest swordsman of all demons!"

The way to make a demon real, and horrifying, and not edgy is to understand that the nature of sin is to convince you it is a solution. Sin blinds you to what is actually good, and actually joyful in life, and makes you think sin is the way out of your troubles.

If he's a violent demon, have him legit get mad at other people using violence. Let him be a Frank Castle fucker who really thinks if he murders thousands of people, it'll somehow set violence right. If you play a demon that tempts mortals into drugs, have him be someone who literally can't imagine how people can function with out their fix.

The demon should be wildly self-destructive, and blind to this fact. The original word for sin is Harmatia: to miss the mark. Aside from Christians, the word has extensive use in Greek Theater: Harmatia is the fatal flaw that leads to the downfall of the tragic hero. That's how you make a demon. He's not edgy, he's a genuine tragedy who needs help.

>tfw you accidentally the spiral nemesis

Make him like Mephistopheles in Faust. Affable and entertaining to the point he's almost sympathetic, with reminders that he's still a fundamentally evil and unnatural being every now and then

There are some references from actual demonology for non edgy demons, such as the Marquis Forneus, who is a demon that is summoned by sunflowers and refuses to be summoned at night, he is seen as very honorable, and kind. He was even granted a small legion of angels to fight under him.

Also Etrigan.

Basically this. Demons exist to be the purest manifestation of everything wrong with reality. The best way to do this without edge is play it completely straight: the demon really does want nothing more than to cause suffering for suffering's sake, and has the power to do so. That right there is what really makes people call others "edgy". When a 15 year old suburban white kid complains about how dark their life is, no one gives a shit. When a veteran or soldier talks about the shit they've seen, it's way different. With demons, you have to make it clear that they're powerful enough to make their dark desires real, and that they truly do desire them.

Make him the infernal equivalent of a disgruntled fast food cashier who has zero sense of customer service but still lets customers get away with extra fries and shit because their job sucks and they just don't care anymore.

see

So make the devil a part-timer?

Maybe you should quit worrying about whether or not your character is edgy, and start worrying about whether or not he 's well written.

Okay smart guy, but could you provide an example of a character than is both well written AND edgy?

Possibly what they meant is focus on your character being well written and the sharp edges will be rounded down automatically as part of that process.

God's Demon was a pretty good story of demons living out their lives in hell.

Satan is obviously Ronald McDonald.

A mascot character that doesn't really exist, with Hell instead being ruled by a bickering board of constantly shifting executives. They keep pushing for more and more souls, even though they have more than they know what to do with and don't have an end goal.

Exactly what I meant to say.
I'm sorry if I came off as rude desu.

Literally Satan. Go read Paradise Lost.

Edgy would be 'I look at this well-made cup, and I don't care, I just smash it because the act of smashing it is evil in of itself.'

What he's doing is 'I recognize that this well-made cup took years of work and dedication to make, am able to appreciate what it was meant for, but find it funny that someone would waste their time on something that might not even last a lifetime.' That's actually showing some depth of thought, and even a simple difference in perspective - that of an immortal demon compared to a human.

Immortal angel, if we want to be technical.

Thanks, now I've got Bon Jovi stuck in my head.

what comic is this and where can i read it?

It is located at killsixbilliondemons.com and you can probably guess what the title is from there.

ITT: people still don't know what edgy means
And make demons edgy and evil, that's the fucking point of demons

Dark, grim, evil, angsty, but done so badly with so many missed points of darkyness it makes people laugh instead of admitting the evilness

Reaper, but he was intentionally a comedic character

8]

A nice suit helps.