Accidental Magical Girl CYOA: Story of my life edition

Welcome to the Accidental Magical Girl thread!

Various worlds and multiverses have become connected together via the mysterious Overcity, a sprawling landscape inhabited by monsters and magical beings. Girls and boys endowed with their new supernatural powers can work together solving conflicts that arise!

>This is NOT a greentext adventure style CYOA with one GM and thread posting to dictate the adventure, but rather a hub thread for multiple storycrafters to use. A majority of activity (including campaigns) instead happens in the IRC, which is open for newbies to join.
Characters can be rolled with either the CYOA's purple PDF which is intended as a writing prompt and is in the process of developing an independent auxiliary combat system, or AMGC's blue pdf which contains combat rules for PNP campaigns along with the rolls. The IRC mostly uses AMGC.

Post builds, roleplay, write stuff.

1.5 CHANGELOG (Important if you intend to update a character that was created with the CYOA writing prompt in mind): pastebin.com/KZAyNZF2

CYOA Stuff:
Writefag Archive: pastebin.com/rSvTGQzP
Magical Girl Images (updated 02/26/16): mega.nz/#F!xINWxCqY!HsVA2LnU9RDMMmZieoqv9w

Character Archive:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ugcJa0fs2KkZ-oXy7kexzqAySUzsbUJ42GydS_kV_w/
Add your character here!

RPNP Stuff:
IRC Linkboard:
titanpad.com/RWlqAHmERq
Spec Trees (spells for all 19 normal Specializations, updated often):
titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH

IRC on Rizon:
OOC Chat: #MGCYOA
In Character RP Pub: #TheWand&Circlet or #TheRedLine
IC Campaigns: #MGChronicle or #MGPnP
IC Shenanigans: #Overcity
IC Cafe: #MGCafe
IC School: #MGSchool or #MGClass
rizon.net/chat

Early 2015 Old Thread OP Text: pastebin.com/usMM2EC7

Other urls found in this thread:

orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps
mega.nz/#F!b58XRCQL!z50OFF70hX_OsfPpBMgCJQ
dropbox.com/sh/hzcmi8mwy455ydm/AACCowTNhIZ_Nni1zXpQgpBma?dl=0
mgcyoa.azurewebsites.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=MrJLsNo9sCU
youtube.com/watch?v=-2PfHWMxaAo
youtube.com/watch?v=t7WFIKPwgPU
youtube.com/watch?v=d5wZqMCssxw
youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-7oPeIg6E
youtube.com/watch?v=OOD40RObk1A
youtube.com/watch?v=ARJKpXnJFTE
youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM
youtube.com/watch?v=W22HGJzNa0M
youtube.com/watch?v=6cL8eVsWbtc
youtube.com/watch?v=ISGDAXsS8c8
sleeplessdomain.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=AsbOOPkmEGw
youtube.com/watch?v=VcGm8xp7nxA
youtu.be/apaJ3A56XbM
youtube.com/watch?v=NosgXC4MBzA
youtube.com/watch?v=tl363Wh4ghU
youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc3yji0G84
youtube.com/watch?v=ry5L3_0XVuk
youtube.com/watch?v=wCkaq1GsK_s
titanpad.com/AMGCupdate
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The CYOA's Patron Module, which determines just who bestows your character's magical abilities. But be wary, for not all of these patrons are after your best interests...

See the changelog for the edits which came with the 1.5 update!

This PDF is for AMGC 1.12, used for PnP in the IRC.
>Features 10 additional powers and 20 extra perks, as well as combat actions, point buy, and more.

>Character generator for AMGC, made by Doxy using RandomGen by Orteil.
Just one click and your mahou will be finished!
orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps

!! IMPORTANT !!
>Add-Ons to AMGC Core including the Corruption, Fusion, and Puchuu docs, now in one convenient spot!
mega.nz/#F!b58XRCQL!z50OFF70hX_OsfPpBMgCJQ
dropbox.com/sh/hzcmi8mwy455ydm/AACCowTNhIZ_Nni1zXpQgpBma?dl=0

System updates related to CYOA 1.5 are in progress, but will NOT be including any of the mechanical effects of Origins at this time.

Someone is working on revamping the spell system, check out his ideas! !! NEW !!
Character sharing thing made by emperor_
mgcyoa.azurewebsites.net/

Said Add-Ons are also linked here for convenience.

Corruption, for all things fluffy, feathery, scaly, or otherwise monstrous.

Fusion, for girls who are like best friends, but closer.

Reminder that magic belongs to humans and is for the betterment of humanity; patrons, and their inability to conduct business transparently, need not apply.

Magic is to be used in the pursuit of justice and to keep the masses of humanity safe from monsters they can't even know about! That's what being a magical girl is all about!

And lastly, the Puchuu Expansion, for people who like it when their fluffy mascot creatures come in many flavors, not just marshmallow.

Added Boss's great fluff about the Narrows to the Locations list so people can see it now that the thread's gone. Gave credit by name, so hope that's alright.

The following two PDFs aren't used commonly in the IRC.

Same as before.

>the pursuit of justice
Humanity's justice, not the patrons' justices.

>keep the masses of humanity safe from monsters
We make all humans magical, monsters will never stand a chance.

>Humanity's justice, not the patrons' justices.
Says you, I fight for Absolute Justice.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes. And the Sith are probably corrupt as fuck.

But if you really want absolute justice? End all life, for each life must feed off of others to sustain and enrich itself.

Do we have that much magic though?

Magic can do anything!

Reminder that, according to Quasar, all highly magical beings have resurrective immortality. This includes monsters as well. Thus there is no "winning" the fight. Only prolonging the inevitable end.

If they keep on coming, keep on bashing! Fighting the good fight's reason enough in and of itself.

I now really want to see Magical Girl Beatrix

youtube.com/watch?v=MrJLsNo9sCU

post your girl's leitmotif

youtube.com/watch?v=-2PfHWMxaAo

Untransformed theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=t7WFIKPwgPU

Exceptionally good mood theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=d5wZqMCssxw

Transformed theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-7oPeIg6E

Shavyla unfolds:
youtube.com/watch?v=OOD40RObk1A

youtube.com/watch?v=ARJKpXnJFTE

youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

youtube.com/watch?v=W22HGJzNa0M

youtube.com/watch?v=6cL8eVsWbtc

youtube.com/watch?v=ISGDAXsS8c8
sleeplessdomain.com/

Rolled 2, 14, 11, 1, 2, 17, 18, 1, 12, 1, 14, 20 = 113 (12d20)

Rollin'

youtube.com/watch?v=AsbOOPkmEGw

So, since Sanctification came up in chat, here's a potential reworking of the old Sanctification Virtues (aka: drawbacks/guiding principles)

Sanctified girls are like anti-Monstergirls/magical paladins.

As an example of one option:

Honor-You have a strong sense of honour. You strive to never tell a lie, don't like misdirection, and prefer to fight fair and never break a promise. You would never strike an unarmed foe or one that had surrendered.

At your best, people know they can trust you with their life or to be honest with them.

At your worst, there are times when telling the truth can hurt you or others, or when your principles makes you predictable. Honor can be a heavy burden to shoulder- and harder to get back when lost.
Thinking about reworking the mechanical drawbacks for when a GM thinks you've broken your Virtue sufficiently.

Thoughts?

Mercy: You have a kind heart and the suffering of others feels like your own. You do everything in your power to allieveate the suffering of others.

At your best, you're a good Samaritan. An angel of mercy. Someone who puts others first with a good heart. Who turns the other cheek.

At your worst, there are times when you'd be better off leaving well enough alone. But you can't do that. You have to help. You have to support them, even if they say they don't need it because they need it. And you'll never be able to accept that some folks might just need killing...

Purity: You firmly believe that everyone can be saved, even the blackest of hearts. You will try your hardest to purify and redeem any monster/DMG/whatever you come across and generally try to make eveyone you meet a little nicer.

At your best, you're a lantern in the darkness, making the places you leave behind a better place just through your actions. Happy magical girls, saved citizens, purified and reformed formerly corrupt girls returned to being human...

But at the same time, you just can't leave well enough alone. That monstergirl wasn't harming anyone, the way she was. It's been so long since she walked on two legs, she fell flat on her face. Maybe they were happier that way. Maybe you stir up the rest of 'em, or leave a power vaccum for new, nastier monstergirls to move right back in. But you'll be able to fix them all, make them all bright and pure, just like new...Right?

It's never been fully resolved whether Sanctification through Beacon (which has Quasar approved rules) should push out "White Coin" Sanctification. In my opinion the Q-Beacon should be the primary and we should use its rules. Otherwise we have just another mess of system compatibility with added stat/perk inflation.

Courage: You are a bonfire in the darkness. You never give in to fear or depression and strive to save others from their own fear. Being scared doesn't effect you nearly as much. But giving in to your fear...

At your best, you're lion-hearted. Fearless. First unto the breach, sword or fists swinging or guns blazing, all that good stuff. An inspiration to us all.

At your worst, you're a bloodthirsty idiot. You don't know what it means to be scared. To know when to fold 'em. To run away. And pretty soon, maybe you start getting annoyed at the rest- What're they getting scared for? You can take 'em all on yourself...can't you?

Q-Beacon isn't Sanctification. It's a glorified side faction/refluffed Puuchu and an overly narrow interpretation of the idea to be representative of Sanctification as a whole. And frankly, it's not what I'd use for Sanctification as a whole at all. Fun for one character maybe but as default for the mirrors to monstergirls? Nah.

Or are we saying that there are no monstergirls other than ones that follow Ebon Mint rules and fluff? No thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=VcGm8xp7nxA

Paragon stays as is- it's the generic motivation with "follow your good motivation to do well, here's how it goes too far for when things go badly." See also: Homura's quote on megucas. Reposting:

Paragon: Unlike other Virtues, you embody something less specific. You just want to do good. You help people, you punish evil people, whatever. What makes you fall? Depends on what makes you tick.

Dunno how to handle the drawback of hope without repeating courage desu.

Hope: No matter how bleak the situation or how much the odds are stacked against you, you have faith that you can overcome it. You're willing to keep fighting despite overwhelming odds, not because you aren't scared, but because you believe you can make the future bright if you only try a little harder. The moment you lose hope is the moment you fall.

Advantages would be...maybe inspiring others? Perseverance?

There's an issue with monstergirls- they're objectively the best option. Purification or their elemental weaknesses don't really come up, and the fluffwise issues with their mental compulsions tend to get glossed over or not really relevant in gameplay, meaning that essentially it's a free second spec and there's no reason to ever think about playing a DMG instead.

This would change that somewhat by making compulsions relevant to gameplay at GM discretion:

Once per session, a GM may opt to trigger a monster girl's motivation drawback in a situation. The player may choose to RP out their character succumbing to the motivation in this situation for no further penalty beyond its effects.. or roll to resist against 2 degrees of success with a stat of their choosing. On a failure, they either lose control and act on their impulse or take a penalty to all rolls made with that stat for the rest of the session.

Thoughts? Based on the Monstrous Metamorphosis Perk's side effects.

I mean... Will you hate me if I say yes? I don't like the system specific mess of AMGC monster girls. Quasar's version seems so much neater and less complex, more universal.
Not to mention it's so easy to abuse a LOT of Core mechanics which makes me feel... icky. Less chance of that for Ebon Mint monsters.

I heard that monster girls were weaker at one point than normal meguca, but for some reason they got buffed? Pretty stupid IMHO.
Agree about the rehaul needed.

It seems limiting. I don't like straitjacketing.

It's fine for what it is- an option, but if it was all you could ever do with the idea RPwise, it seems like a complete waste.

>algae feeds off others

But it's the opposite of straitjacketing. It allows for MORE freedom instead of oddly specific perks that... it's really difficult to create an archetype for. Double down on that if you roll as is FAVORED by the pdf. For some reason Core punishes you if you try to go in with a character concept already in mind.
Contrast that to Quasar's where everything is universal. Broad. Almost any monster can easily be sorted into the limited amount of categories.

Not...really? It's one specific take on one specific idea that always acts this one way.

I completely disagree with this interpretation of Core, incidentally- it's just not been my experience at all and I don't think that categories being "limited" by your own admission helps RP.

youtu.be/apaJ3A56XbM

Corruption Module for Core is considerably more broad than the Patron Doc's version of monster girls, given that you piece it together using 5 out of 60 perks or randomly roll 6. Granted, that's a bit more involved than Patron's 6 Body options, 9 Mind options and 6 Soul options.

I think some of the perks could use a rework in Core as they have a lot of overlap, but they also offer more in the way of motivations, and the mechanical nature of Core means that the bolt-together perks thing is better for it than the Patron Doc's more generic, barebones take.

I do like this idea to make Monster Girls compelled to actually use some of their RP disadvantages in gameplay. I prefer systems that offer rewards for using your RP disadvantages rather than penalties triggered by the GM. But that said, this system isn't structured around a meta resource the way that FATE or 7th Sea is.

I'm not really sure either of you is right - I was never 100% on board with the White Coin implementation. The Beacon is my way of integrating some of it's concepts in a way that is palatable to me, but it isn't the same thing in the end.

No offense, but Beacon really seems more like its own fluff for its own side faction than an accurate representation of the idea of sanctification at all. It's fine for what it is but yeah as said it isn't sanctification.

There really isn't anything that is "right" in the IRC. Everyone has their own view on things and no one really wants to iron things out or compromise. Whenever it's brought up, people complain about not wanting their RP policed or restricted.

You say that Beacon seems more it's own thing than a form of sanctification. But there are likely those who disagree with you. And there will be back and forth and arguing over who's right. Because we subsist off of drama here.

youtube.com/watch?v=NosgXC4MBzA

youtube.com/watch?v=tl363Wh4ghU
Medic Ready!

youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc3yji0G84

youtube.com/watch?v=ry5L3_0XVuk

For after redemption, probably.
youtube.com/watch?v=wCkaq1GsK_s

In IRC, today we theorized how to:
Blow up a planet.

THEORY CRAFT BUILD ONLY:
Age doesn't matter, Body is either Underdeveloped or Average. You have to get a 20 on spec and become a monster girl. Spec type no longer matters. Back to regular PDF. Mystic type. Get Enchanted Enhancement. Elaborate Uniform. Determination not suggested, Accumulator better. Then roll a 1 on your power for Killing Blow. Gold for Avenger. Roll a 4, 7, 9, 16 or 18 on the first table, A 9 and a 19 are required on Table 2, a 2, 9, 10, 11, 12, 18, or 19 on Table 3. Back to Corruption Table, roll a 4 and 12 on Table 1. Table 2, roll a 3 and a 15. Table 3, roll a 5 and 18.

Then, this character needs to dump all their points into MAG. They need to have an ally drop below two wound thresholds in a single turn, had aid used on them by a Power of Friendship user, gotten buffed by Time, Have dropped below two wound thresholds while using A Way Out, Used their Big Damn Hero, gotten 5 attacks in a row without a miss, it be past 2 turns, and also be fighting the spec of their choice. Actually, drop below 3 wound thresholds to activate Beserker. All of this, and they can get:
740 dice on one roll*

*Math may be wrong from all the adjustments I've made. Pretty sure it's right though.

> Absolute Justice
> Believing this is real thing.
And here we have some Beacon fodder.

Sanctification is fighting for hope and justice!

This is Lawful Stupid to me, and I hate the idea of endorsing it.

...So it's on track for sanctification? Okay.

Sanctification as written isn't Lawful Stupid. This change would make it that way.

Sanctification as written kind of is meant to be focused on the ideal with mind whammy help. That's Lawful Stupid.

Isn't that being a good person with principles?

Nah, Sanctification takes that to an extreme beyond what can be reasonably expected. That's the whole point.

Then make all of them legal.
Give a name at every interpretation of the factions and make all of them different shades of a single ideal.
Everything it's better than the mess we are dealing with.

Does anyone use ranged weapons that aren't considered common?

Does throwing spears count?

The correct term is "javelins"

If you believe that a spear can't be thrown, then I am truly sorry for you and your lack of man fighting skills.

If that were true, you wouldn't be trying to change it to be that.

Holy shit this user is right.

Credit wasn't even required, but it is appreciated. There are a few more ideas kicking around, but don't have a lot of time for a long post right now.

Someone else has to bump as well.

Confirmed for not having actually read the sanctification document.

I wish I was a Nagato

Not going Iowa

corgi puchuu when

When you make it user. Go on, what are you waiting for?

Rolled 6, 3, 6, 11, 2, 13, 18, 11, 11, 6, 11, 5 = 103 (12d20)

Cute pic!

not yet

What kind of place do you come from?

I came from my mom's vagina.

Ria Riki: Death Valley, CA the year 2009.
Sammi and Wesley: Teufort, NM the year 1959.
Malcolm Donovan: REDACTED

Obligatory bump

That would actually be really interesting, talking about how the world has changed. Do you think there are cafes in the Overcity where people can just hang out and compare notes for their world's history?

The Wand and Circlet
Come on now, that should be easy

And the literal Cafe.

Houston, Texas

List of things I think need to be done: System updates, a setting doc, a proper patron patch, specialization rework, a proper bestiary with threat assessments.

Pursuant to the first item, please comment on titanpad.com/AMGCupdate .

Soviet Russia.

- Shavyla: she doesn't know
- Long Jinghua: Shanghai, in an alternate history where the nationalists beat Mao and China became similiar to our timeline's South Korea, because AHs are so popular here
- Islene Crowley-Erskine: someplace in Ireland where you can find people speaking posh
- Atsali: the technological Singularity, and a combination of several military and civilian interdisciplinary research departments all over her homeworld

Make magic cheaper!