What are some good ways to fuck with players that don't involve actual damage or anything like that...

What are some good ways to fuck with players that don't involve actual damage or anything like that, but are mostly psychological?

A favorite of mine is that harpies, being girls what can fly, mean that at any place, any time, a player could have girls watching when they do something. This pressures the players to do well in a way they are unused to, with the added benefit of girls laughing if they fuck up. Priceless.

Does this actually work? I imagine the players stop caring after a while and start seeing harpies as part of the scenery.

Do you happen to have any pictures of laughing harpies?

Im not weeaboo fag so i would just shoot the harpies...

Watch those sharp angles there bud

You use them sparingly to prevent desensitization. Like all good techniques.

Spectral riders.

One day they notice something is been riding their shadows back. Once they notice it, the fatigue for days until one day it is gone. Next to them is a gift that they really need.

I have seen parties analyze a pile of 20 silver, refuse their favorite food and even throw a puppy in a river because it was left by something they would not trust.

Do you also shoot random townsfolk for looking at you?

ooh, that's a good one. Only the most trusting of SUCKERS would accept such a suspicious gift!

Yeah, shoot them. I'm sure they'll be really cooperative and not try and drop rocks on you when you sleep.

That or they do what all good flying people do.
GOSSIP.
Know that embarrassing thing you did?
Now everyone does.

>shooting innocent sentients

As if Oblivion guards have any right to bitch about outright slaughter.

Sadly, those are much harder to find that I thought they would be.

The word you're looking for is 'sapients'

Harpies are chaotic evil and deserve to die. That user had the correct response.

>harpies
>sentient

They're Chinese Rooms, crude imitations of conscious beings.

>alignment systems
>usually
either way, you've got the edge for shooting someone for just hangin' out in your vicinity and being interested in your goings on.

SHOULD HAVE PAYED THE FINE!

>itt Veeky Forums gets triggered by imaginary girls looking at their imaginary wizard

> laughing
> at a wizard
Lucky he didn't shrink them, put them in a jar, and proceed to shit in the jar.

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW YE LITTLE WINGED CUNTS

Change descriptions of scenery from time to time to make tham doubt what is real and which description is correct

I don't know I'd feel a "pressure to do well" exactly, considering my characters' ability to not make foolish-looking mistakes is mostly determined by the fickle whims of fate. At best I'd be rolling my eyes somewhat harder and more exasperatedly as the dice show a catastrophic result.

you need slightly less cynicism.
Or slightly more booze.
I can't tell.

call of cthulu?

Are you retarded?

That's a great way to get Harpy talons in the taint.

>alignment as anything else than a roleplaying suggestion/orientation

except for when your DM strictly follows the written creature alignment. which would mean the harpies would have tried to attack you the moment they had an opportunity.

> Do you also shoot random townsfolk for looking at you?
You mean witnesses?

Not him, but sapience and sentience are different things.

Sapience - reasoning. Humans are generally capable of it (unless they are Berniecrats who actually thought Bernie wasn't Hillary's stooge).

Sentience - feeling. Cows and chickens are sentient, for example.

>not summoning a monster to do the shitting in your place
>not discovering that the monster doesn't have an anus
>not diving deeply into research to figure how to give the monster an ability to shit on trapped harpies in a jar only to be distracted by some other nonsense a short while later
Wizards, not even once.

They are mindless creatures who try to kill you anyway. After i shot them i would find the nest and stomp the eggs.

>implying harpies have sentients.

>implying harpies have feelings.

I fail to see how. they wont be a threat when shrunken and put into jars. Personally i would just kill them.

They normally do. They are mindless animals. Building a nest doesn't make you intelligent. birds do that shit. Harpies are just monsters made to be killed.

>They are mindless animals.
Int 5-7 is not 'mindless animal' tier. It's 'village retard' tier.

sorry i meant so slight of intelligence that they are still worthless animals without feelings made to be killed.

Yet a PC with 8 INT who murders 98% of the creatures he encounters isn't?

Of coarse he is a person not an animal. I fail to see what your trying to imply? That harpies are not animals?
but weeaboo they is. now stop defending your wafiu.
Also anyone with 8 int cant make a good char.

>playing as a warforged because "muh FMA"
Now who's the weeb, weeb?

>Spends most of their time in the wild
>Resorts to violence at the slightest provocation
>Murders indiscriminately
>Steals from everyone they kill
>Apathetic to anyone who isn't useful
>Has the power to raze a small village to the ground

The only thing separating a PC from a monster is class levels, and even that's not much of a distinction depending on the edition.

Glass houses, throwing stones, etc. etc.

i dont see how you got me playing a warforged from that. ive never played one. its not even on my characters to play list.
>making random implications without any logic or intelligence behind it.
whos the weeaboo harpy? you weeaboo harpy. oh im sorry, harpies couldn't figure out computers your just a normal human dumbass.

you have proven worthless like this thread im out.

You're the one who said he wasn't an animal. And since dryads aren't usually playable...

>weeaboo harpy
>weeaboo
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means

Stop talking like you actually understand the system when you don't, user. Unless you're baiting, in which case that's low quality bait.
Harpies are not even of the Animal type, they're Monstrous Humanoids. That grants them even a different attack bonus.
And monsters don't even always have the stats that are shown in their sheets. That's just the standard stat array with racial bonuses on top of them, which means they actually have above-average Wisdom.
Learn2Lore

What motivates the players to care?

Do the harpies attack if they are displeased?

Do the harpies reward the players with items if they are pleased?

If all you risk the approval or disapproval of some background NPCs, then they are irrelevant.

>avoiding the laughter of harpies
>significant motivation
Pick one, OP. It might not be so for permavirgin losers like you, but for the rest of us being laughed at by girls isn't the end of the fucking world.

>Harpies
>Innocent
Choose one.

This.

>You finally dispatch the bandits, none too gracefully. You hear giggling coming from a nearby tree, turning to look you see several birds that have faces of humanoid females, laughing at your clumsy handling of the bandits. What do you do?
"We loot the bodies and move on."
OR
"Rolling to hit."

Is this some kind of misguided attempt to look tough and hardened on an anonymous image board?

>kobolds give adventurers multiple warnings to stay out of their tunnels.

>orcish raiders steal only livestock, harm no one despite waving their axes around threateningly.

>in the middle of the night, a dozen goblins show up and stare at the party's campfire.

>ghoul politely informs the party he'll be following them, "just in case."

..why the fuck did people even respond to what is obviously a retard or a troll?

sometimes chewing bait is fun

>user kills shit thread by triggering retards
A real hero

I liked all of those.

They paddle people's asses with yaoi paddles, I guess?

>not understanding the difference between sapience and sentience.
Dictionary nigga, go get one.

Have a useless meter that displays the hero´s life expectancy.
Have it go down when her HP drops bellow a certain point.

Or "sophonts".

>filename

Are your players Matt, Pat, Liam, and Wooly?

I'm legitimately dissapointed. I didn't even like Bernie, but I didn't think he'd endorse Hillary.

I had the players get lost in the woods and then stay the night at a house belonging to three completely normal sweet old ladies. They went full PC and snuck around at night breaking into stuff to see what was going on. Turns out sweet old ladies were just that and totally guilt tripped the players the next day for breaking into their toolshed

although it is going to turn out eventually that they were really spider witches and laid eggs in one of the players brains

Do these Harpies gossip and spread rumours?

>You'll never play a tabletop game with Woolie

>Pat's Mom as a mid-campaign encounter

stat her, Veeky Forums

Some people do not have neurosis about girls making fun of them held over from their high school days
In fact, none of my current primary OR secondary player groups do....

Not if you gag them.

Yeah, it came as a huge surprise to kids who only became aware of him after he became an internet meme and don't pay any attention to politics beyond that.
To those who have actually observed his poitical career before said internet fandom happens, not so much.

But this isn't the board for that.

It's weird, because the only people who haven't actually cared about these things in my experience ARE the permavergins.
The ones concerned with picking up chicks care a lot about girls watching.

fuck, how did you know?

well, what neurosises do they have, and what do you use to fuck with them?

>shadow bullshit
There's just WAY too much stuff in media about how shadows will fuck you up for that to go unchecked.

Lol, I would kill the harpies...

>loli succubus

Pedofags aside. There's nothing more dangerous to the players' collective psyche than the idea that they can redeem others. That they can still 'save' her, that she's still young and doesn't know any better.

It started innocently enough. Party came across the succubus after defeating a cabal of warlocks. Paladin wanted to banish her initially, but was swayed when the succubus began crying explained that she ran away from home to escape her mother and sister who plan to sell her to a minor demon lord's harem. After a long sob story, the players bought it and accept her into the group. That's when the fun begins.

After a few adventures together, the party eventually came to see her as the group mascot. The cute little loli cheering at every action no matter how cruel and violent it is. The players just rationalize that she's just 'naive' to the mortal plane's ways, nothing that can't be hammered out by good parenting. They became even more attached to her after banishing her sister, who tried to seduce the paladin and bring our succubus home. Which just makes it more delicious when the paladin's order got involved. Long story short, paladin was stripped of his ranks and titles with the entire party on the run from the authorities. Worse still, the link between our world and the lower planes began to weaken threatening to drag her back to the abyss.

>cont

However, the loli conveniently inform the party that there's a collection of artifacts that can help her maintain her bond with the physical plane. After a long search and lots of reckless alignment shifting decisions the party finally gathered the pieces of the ancient. And what comes next is a scene ripped strait of the ending of Berserk's golden age arch. The succubus ascended to a demon lord and thanks the party by dragging them to hell. She then ate her mother and sold her sister to the devils as a camp follower.

The party almost rage quit, before I showed them my notes. They may be in hell, but that just means the succubus is also there with them. And there's nothing to stop them from carving the bloody path through Dis itself in their quest for vengeance.

Though, it's kinda hypocritical that I plan to turn the succubus's sister into Casca + Fall From Grace.

but was the sob story true?

I think this goes way beyond normal harmless psychological fuckery, user.
Especially the part where BERSERK HAPPENS.
Kudos still.

Literally the most relevant use of the owlbear statblock

It's true, just because you're born from chaos and evil doesn't mean shitty things can't happen to you.

>just because you're born from chaos and evil doesn't mean shitty things can't happen to you.
Like having the misfortune of being born from chaos and evil.

wow thats pretty rude, i mean they made her a demon lord and got her all stronk and everything, even if she is an evil little shit; thats just waiting to get murderhobo'd hard by a pack of pissed off adventurers.

>but weaboo they is.
Are... are you OK?

Some of us are not jacked into the matrix 24/7.

My playes would probably a find a way to rape them.