How would a group of adventurers convince one eldritch abomination that would normally consider humans little more than...

How would a group of adventurers convince one eldritch abomination that would normally consider humans little more than ants in comparison to itself to defend humanity against another eldritch abomination looking to exterminate the human pests?

>implying you can talk to one
Otherwise, Godzilla logic.

you wouldnt, that's the entire point of an eldritch abomination, they dont give a single shit

Sacrifices.
A whole lot of sacrifices.

If they didn't REALLY give a shit, they wouldn't even hang around Earth as much as they do. They do give some shit, just very selfish reasoning of shit.

By being worth more alive.

Of course, what a mortal being has that's of worth to a cosmic intelligence is basically limited to either worship or soul juice; and one teeny weeny human's worth of juice isn't even enough to wet your beak, so to speak.

You'd probably have to organize some sort of hideous ritual; heaping sacrificial offerings on altars, mass grovelling and prostration to heathen idols, ect.

Of course in order for this to have any effect on a cosmic scale you'll need all the souls you can, so proactive recruitment is a must.

Congratulations; you're now the leader of a brand new Mythos cult cell; a Delta Green task force will be dispatched shortly to dispense "Party Favours".

The problem is it's Earth that they give a shit to, not the mortals in it.

>convince

Cookies.

One plate of white chocolate chip macadamia treats still warm from the oven will make ANY Bumble a friend for life (55gal of chilled milk optional, but recommended).

Caution: Do NOT run out of cookies before the BBB gets there.

HTH

There was a mythos inspired comic (posted on Veeky Forums quite a while ago) where the main characters got one over an old one by bringing him to the attention of other, greater old ones who actually really didn't give a shit about earth, but merely being the target of their interest essentially destroyed the old one the characters were trying to stop.

How an ant could convince you that it's more valuable to you alive than dead? It can't.
Alternatively, Hostess(c) Fruit Pies

If the other eldritch abomination is his enemy - persuade him by saying how humiliating for that enemy would be the fact, that he got beat up by a bunch of mortals. Sure, they did get help of another abomination, but it was still THEM that made it happen.
If it's not his enemy, then just tell him that such a battle would surely be the greatest entertainment he ever had.
If they still refuse, you can risk your entire being by telling them to give you superpowers so you'll do it yourself and they can watch... unfortunately for you, many of them woud agree

I can't remember where, it might be Eldritch horror's Znyergy Quasi-old one, but there is a game where when you lose Azathoth looks at earth which causes it to explode.

If you're lucky, you are dealing with an abomination you can communicate with, who also hates the other abomination. For example, Nodens hates Nyarlathotep, and since Nyarlathotep likes to fuck with humans for fun, Nodens tries to ruin his fun by assisting humans Nyarlathotep is fucking with.

If you're not as lucky, the two abominations merely have conflicting goals. Like, if you get attacked by not-Atropus, summon the avatar of not-Shub-Niggurath and hope for the best. Just be aware that whoever wins, you're probably screwed, but if one actively wants to kill you and the other one just screws you over by accident, you're probably better off with the latter.

Otherwise, hope that abominations are territorial, and having two active in the same are causes them to fight.

>We forced you back into dormancy using a boat!

>We have a MUCH larger arsenal than just boats

> You'd like to have us as allies, right? As opposed to the alternative?

Is he interested in becoming King of this world?

>Alternatively, Hostess(c) Fruit Pies
Always an option.

>How an ant could convince you that it's more valuable to you alive than dead? It can't.
It's exceedingly unlikely, I'll grant you that.
In the end, your existence would do more convincing than any actions you could take.
Basically, blind luck or GM fiat.

>forced

The events of Call of Cthulhu are pretty much eldritch abomination equivalent of waking up at 5 am because your alarm clock went off early, stepping on your kid's legos when getting out of the bed, and deciding to screw it and go back to sleep. When the time comes for Cthulhu to actually wake up and go to work, he won't be deterred that easily, and will likely just get pissed off and beat the shit out of you for leaving your stuff laying around on his planet. Luckily that's only supposed to happen long after humanity has gone extinct anyway.

One of the Bloodborne theories revolves around something like this. One Great One hunting the child of another. Possibly because the younger Great One is fucking humanity, possibly because of jealousy, or possibly for unknown reasons.
Also, another theory is its freeing the child rather than slaying it. Either way.

Great Ones in Bloodborne are "sympathetic to man", and through great ritual can be called upon for various motivations. Desperation, revenge, curiosity, duty.

Likely you'd have to find an entity who wants something from you, or has a common enemy. Worship or soul juice as mentioned by another user. "The enemy of my enemy" mentality. Some other goal that can be vaguely defined and exploited by the ants you are playing.

I had a dream a few years back that I feel captures the essence of Lovecraftian horror quite well: I was walking along happily in some forest, comfortable and at ease with my surroundings. I came upon a tiny lake, and seeing how there were rocks that would make it possible to cross the lake if you jumped between them, I decided to do just that. When I'd jumped out a few rocks, the rock suddenly disappeared under me, and I fell into the water, down beneath the surface. What I saw was endless water, with huge things moving through it wherever I looked. Deep underneath me, I saw things too huge to grasp the size or shapes of. The things ranged in size from approximately a whale shark, or perhaps they were bigger, distances were hard to gauge, to the unfathomable. Needless to say I was in a state of dread, and I looked up horizontally under the surface and saw a few of the shapes moving towards me. I panicked and swam for the edge of the lake, which, along with the ground, apparently only were a few decimeters deep. The shore was sloping, slippery bedrock, and as I struggled for purchase my lower body drifted to underneath it, touching the shallow underside of the ground which I had walked on happily earlier. With my head over the surface, I couldn't see what was happening under the water, whether the things were still closing in or not, and if so how far away they were. After what was probably just a few seconds of panicking, which felt like minutes, I managed to climb out of the lake. It looked as innocent as it had earlier, as did the forest around me, but I was shaken to my core with fright at what I now knew was just a thin surface layer above endless distances of strange beings, a world I could never hope to understand, right underneath my feet, as if reality as I knew it was nothing but a floating island on an eldritch ocean. I ran, not from the lake, but as a useless gesture, as I had to try to get away from the horror I was experiencing.

As I ran, I knew that I would never be able to escape the fear, and that I'd spend the rest of my life feeling the pressure from my surroundings, always listening for that other world just underneath my feet.