In your opinion, which rpg I could read that has the most interesting lore?

In your opinion, which rpg I could read that has the most interesting lore?

Other urls found in this thread:

4shared.com/get/cKUAMtyY/Over_the_Edge_-_2Ed_Core_rules.html
4shared.com/get/8gDPVv6pce/Kult_-_Roleplaying_Game_1st_Ed.html
4shared.com/get/vdo8-cVJba/Unknown_Armies_2_Ed.html
mega.nz/#F!iwxRETYC!92YZNGq7TKlSeEFBCMOWYA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Unknown Armies

Talislanta.

Books are available for download on www.talislanta.com.

Planescape.

GURPS.

TES/UESRPG

Planescape and Glorantha are both considered very good.

Warcraft has the deepest and largest lore. If you can push past the "anti-fanboys" it's some good shit. Most wow players don't even have a slight clue about it.

Glorantha.

Big lore =/= good lore. Anyone can pull creation stories and fake histories out of his ass.
And I'm not saying it as criticism against wc.

TES.

Lesser Shades of Evil, Low Life, C°ntinuum, and Wraith: the Oblivion.

Yeah, Warcraft has a lot of lore, but it's mostly cliche fantasy stuff that's not very good.

For the good stuff: Planescape, Glorantha, Talislanta, Empire of the Petal Throne, Shadowrun.

Tekumel or Hero Quest.

>C°ntinuum

Do you have a good pdf of this? Mine is full of scanning errors.

I'll second these out of personal experience. Everything about Planescape is just top notch, I'm amazed it's as obscure as it is. Unknown Armies is a fucking trip and it's completely open to whatever spin you want to put on it. It's an absolute GM's playground.

Warcraft is immensely clichéd, but in kind of a charming way. If you want to read lots of popcorn fantasy, you could definitely do worse.

I'll add my two personal favorites: Eberron and Degenesis. Eberron is pulp fantasy, basically the 18th-early 20th century with elves and such. It does a good job of subverting tropes and cliches without being obnoxious about it. Be warned: as you approach the end of D&D 3.5's life, the lore does suffer a bit because they were trying to jam things in there that didn't belong.

Degenesis is one of the most fleshed out settings I've ever seen and absolutely the most compelling post apocalyptic worlds I've ever seen. It doesn't focus on society rebuilding, more on society evolving and adapting to the new state of the world. Also it has the most gorgeous art of any RPG I've ever seen.

I'd second this. Also, Dark Sun (if you like D&D), Delta Green (if you're a conspiritard) and Shadowrun (barring the magic, it has the best lore and the most lore of any cyberpunk game).

Rifts. Best fluff ever.

Over The Edge is pretty baller.
4shared.com/get/cKUAMtyY/Over_the_Edge_-_2Ed_Core_rules.html

Also, KVLT
4shared.com/get/8gDPVv6pce/Kult_-_Roleplaying_Game_1st_Ed.html

4shared.com/get/vdo8-cVJba/Unknown_Armies_2_Ed.html

OWoD. Loved me some OWoD.

1e Kult.

>Degenesis

My nigger.

I do like Warcraft a lot, but at risk of sounding like a "Blizzard copied GW!" crybaby I do prefer Warhammer when it comes to silly, over the top fantasy settings.

Also, does anyone care about Iron Kingdoms lore? It seems kind of cool but I don't hear much about it except for just the war games.

Mah nigga.

Seconding this.

Other than the OtE rulebook, do you suggest any other "essential" supplements of it?

I think Warhammer Fantasy is 1) better written and 2) allowed to be grimdark, whereas Warcraft apes at being dark but is really kind of tame.

Don't know if it ever had any. It's a great setting tho, and very readable rpg.

Well, it has lots of sourcebooks/modules, that's why I'm asking.
I don't know if it's a good idea, but I plan to use its system (WaRP), for running a game, in a Kult setting.

>deepest
>largest

Warcraft was born as a Warhammer RTS, but it managed to get an independent development and its lore held up quite good up to warcraft 3 and vanilla wow, and I mean good for a light hearted generic fantasy setting with clear good VS evil distinction. The kind of lore that could appeal to kids and teens before discovering more adult themed and nuanced settings, or to adults that specifically look for that kind of setting.

After vanilla wow, the lore has been repeatedly raped, dumbed down, stomped, retconned to oblivion and otherwise ignored in stead of more collectibles and addictive gaming features, to appeal to the e-sports crowd and those who are just in for the new cool mount.
What remains of the lore is made of the actions of the major leaders of the world, there's no depth whatsoever beyond that.
The world itself feels really small, and that's why the story goes to (even smaller) other planets and different timelines.

I can suggest Warhammer for a really deeper and larger lore, though imho you have to get mainly the RPG books and integrate with the army books. Another really nice RPG is the Italian made Sine Requie, but I don't know if a translation exists as of yet.

Warcraft is plagued by bad writing, the kind of writing that uses cliches and uses them really bad, and shouts things in your face without the tiniest subtlety.

> remember the pope of the church of light? The purest of the pure?
> BAM! He's a servant of the old gods now, fight his dark powers and get lewt!
> What? Of course we never told you about his corruption before, what kind of plot twist would that be?

This kind.

There's a decent few.

None of them really add any 'essential' rules, they're for the most part setting material or adventure modules. If you're planning to run Kult in WaRP, you might want to check out With a Long Spoon. Essentially a module where the players come into conflict with a group of Black Nationalists trying to induce psychic powers through child abuse.

If you just want more OtE goodness, then Friend or Foe, At Your Service, Weather the Cuckoo Likes, and Wildest Dreams have the majority of the non-core setting info. Apart from that, any of the adventure modules would get you enough.

Deadlands.

Should be fine. I've always thought Unknown Armies would be the best system for Kult, it has the most elaborate and detailed sanity system of any game and it has rules for magic right out of the box.

Thanks for the information, man.

From all the UA stuff, I've only read the (2e) sanity rules, and I agree with you; they are pretty good. I guess, at some point, I'll read the whole UA rulebook.
I'm hoping that the new edition of Kult will introduce a better -than the older editions'- system.
By the way, as far as I know, the 3rd edition of UA is going to be released at some point, as it recently got successfully KS'ed.
It's not mere luck that all these horror RPGs get new versions. We live in times of remakes and sequels, (un)fortunately.

Delta Green

Degenesis

Unknown Armies

Kult

The Laundry

Call of Cthulhu

It's one of a small circle of games where the lore wasn't written by a bunch of third party hacks.

There isn't A lore.
It's more of a genre.

good choice

yes

Eclipse Phase, I just wish people actually played it.

The Dime Novels aren't half-bad either

Mechanical Dream

>Characters reside in the world of the dual world of Kaïnas and Naakinis, a 30,000 mile disk lit by a sun-like orb called the Pendulum. This disk is surrounded by the Sofe, a 40-mile-tall wall of black ether that kills that few, if any, have ever returned from. Kaïnas (the rational world) and Naakinis (the mythic world) exist with overlapping topography and ecosystems. Flora and fauna of Kainas are scaled normally by real-world standards, while Naakinis exists on a much larger scale (such as the "Kioux" trees that reach many miles in height).

>The Pendulum spends roughly ten of each day's thirty hours beyond the Sofe, creating night-like darkness. During this time, a phenomenon called "The Dream" manifests, becoming stronger as less and less light permeates Kaïnas. The Dream is a fabulous and dangerous world that overlaps with reality. It is initially hazy and hallucinatory, becoming as solid as reality during the darkest parts of the night. Areas where the Pendulum does not shine are affected by permanent manifestations of the Dream.

>The Aran world is a separate existence, accessible only in places the Pendulums' light cannot reach (underground or deep underwater). It is fiercely primordial, rejecting inorganic matter and operating by rules entirely different from reality. The creatures inhabiting Aran are unpredictable and poorly understood.

>The vast majority of the setting's population depends on the weekly consumption of the orpee fruit to survive. Without orpee, a rapid and excruciating death is guaranteed. Orpee naturally concentrates a life-force called "eflow" that fuels life. The politics and economics of Kaïnas are primarily driven by the collection and distribution of orpee, as it is an absolute requirement for life.

Attached is a setting overview. Link to PDFs is here -- mega.nz/#F!iwxRETYC!92YZNGq7TKlSeEFBCMOWYA

>Ten races can be found in Kaïnas, none of them human.
>--Emovan: Aquatic craftsmen with a strongly collectivist society.
>--Frilin: An intellectual plant-based race who do not require orpee to survive.
>--Gnath: A highly rational people who are the driving force behind modernization.
>--Inaïs: The only race able to harvest orpee, who live as passionate ascetics.
>--Nayan: A deeply passionate and charismatic race driven by a powerful martyrdom complex.
>--Odwoane: A diminutive race of mimicking laborers who instinctively gather and act in groups.
>--Solek: A race that emerged from the Sofe, characterized by their silence and efficiency
>--Volkoï: A race bred for war and physically dependent on a constant flow of adrenaline.
>--Yaki: A collection of tightly-knit nomadic tribes with a strong understanding of the Dream.
>--Zïn: Extremely rare, solitary beings who carry within them a volatile Aran entity.

Thirding this, especially Mage the Ascension.

>The heroes of Kaïnas are called Echoes. Able to harness eflow to produce miraculous effect using their "Gifts," they are also able to gain information and insight through a "Whisper," the so-called voice of eflow that speaks to each Echo. There exist many different "vocations" for Echoes, castes that delineate their personalities and abilities:
>--Awakener: Healers and animators of the inanimate.
>--Guardians: Marksmen and defenders.
>--Judge: Champions of social order and fair justice.
>--Judicator: Brutal warriors who police other Echoes.
>--Mind Chemist: Psychics able to enter the minds of others.
>--Nightmare: Violent predators who become one with the Dream.
>--Overlord: Overseers who seek and succeed at control over others.
>--Truth Crafter: Scholars and storytellers with the power of illusion.
>--Walker: Hardened drifters and explorers.

Heavy Gear

Polaris is pretty nice, in a weird way.

Elders Scroll lore is top tier too. Peaked with Morrowind, though, but it still went on nicely for some time.

Talislanta 4e or The Chronicles of Talislanta (1e).

Unknown Armies.

Over the Edge.

Normality.

Lacuna.

This is in desperate need of an editor, just from the first few pages. Whoever wrote this has no idea what a comma actually does.

I think they're French Canadian with a not-completely-perfect command of English, which makes for some interesting reading. It's actually perfectly intelligible, just a bit strangely worded at times. I hadn't actually noticed anything with the commas, but then I'm accustomed to a certain degree of unconventional punctuation.

Seconding the continuum request.

God that setting is an awesome thought experiment but a trainwreck in actual play.

>French Canadian
They don't have a perfect command of French either.
They're a sad bunch.

Shadowrun, Planescape, Golden Sun if you can make an RPG out of that, Dark Sun, EVE Online if you can make an RPG out of that, the world of Banished Quest if you can get past the shit-posting between updates.