What did they mean by this?

What did they mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/its-not-easy-being-green-revisited-2015-08-10
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That they don't wish me to continue buying their products.

That emrakul is such a big threat yo pls don't ignore.

They wanted a centerpiece to show off Emrakul's new groove.

Comes off as trying too hard to make an eldritch horror. I dunno I guess I expected this set to be more subtle than it is.

I really liked Gisela. Had her as a commander and everything. Even had the oversized card you got at the prerelease.

I was really excited when they said they were returning to Innistrad. Maybe another great Gisela card? Gisela is pretty and strong and my two favorite colors and fights against evil and...

This.
The expeditions did that for me.

It's okay friend. I know your pain, Gisela was my second favourite angel after Avacyn. She got screwed really badly just for cheap drama.

>I really liked Gisela

>Gisela was my second favourite angel after Avacyn

poor taste general

When I saw they were revisiting Innistrad I excitedly checked the cards for a new Gisela. When I was greeted by... this thing I came to understand that we can never have nice things in MtG.

That u/w fliers will be good.

>poor taste general

I see you've got the ball rolling already.

WotC: What kind of expansion do you want, fampais?

In the same set that Emrakul got her big reveal, he see the cards that are used to supposedly imprison her.

There was literally a fortnight of suspension between us discovering that the horror of Emrakul and us seeing the Emrakul gets trapped into the moon.

It's the equivalent of a movie trailer ending with the villain it was hyping up getting punched in the mouth.

Average response
>... Can I still stick it in?

Welcome to Two Act sets.

Gissy and Bruna did get two new cards though. You don't have to run both and meld them.

We want the Yugioh audience.

Ditto.

Can brisela be defeated with squirrel nest?

>It's another White Angels/White aligned characters can't be good and must fall/be corrupted episode
>Tied in with an angels are always evil episode

So much this. It was cute when it was Elesh Norn, because the Praetors were the five flavors of evil. It made sense. This isn't the same as that. This is more like
>What characters were popular last time we went to Innistrad?
>Avacyn, Bruna, Gisela, Sigarda, Thalia, Traft
>So let's start with Avacyn getting mindfucked and killed by Sorin
>Oh yeah, that should be a good hook
>And then let's have the Powerpuffs all get corrupted too
>Nah, too obvious, let's have one escape somehow but really ramp it up for the other two
>Fair point, and maybe let Thalia off the hook too while we're at it
>So that means we've gotta think up something REALLY horrible for Siggy and Bruna
>Hey, let's have them get fused into one big pile of horrifically mutated flesh with no personality or individuality
>That sounds like something Lovecraft would do, right?
>I dunno, never read him but it sounds good to me
>And then the JACETICE FRIENDS save the day
>WE ARE GENIUSES

It's such a shame, they really fucked Innistrad up here just for the sake of making the plane into Bloodborne.

Don't worry. Every plane will soon be Mecha-Bloodborne

At least we have Sigarda.

And only sigarda. Because there are no other angels left. Goddamnit.

Lovecraft has done some body horror.

And only 3 major characters ended up fucked, that's pretty good for a plane. Gisa, Ludevic, Geralf, Odric, Thalia, Sigarda, all got out okay.

that, and the way card sets work you get the beginning and end of the set's 'story' released at the same time and you can read both right away.

Even back in the 'three act set' you got the same problem.

If you read the actual story articles the set up and pay off are much better paced. Telling the story through the cards themselves doesn't really work, because cards lack inherent ordering.

Aye but they had to dial up the fucking to 11 to make up for it which is why people are annoyed. Characters dying is one thing but the way they were killed was needlessly dramatic at best and token at worst. I mean Brisela was a thing for how long? We heard nothing about them except a brief bit during A Gaze Blank and Pitiless then the next time we see them they're made out of spaghetti then the next time we see them they die. Two set blocks really make for shit story pacing.

So this is what we're probably in for with the Gatewatch story arc, in no particular order:
>Black and white morality in which the Gatewatch is usually if not always right
>Comic-book villains with shoddy motivations and backstories and few if any redeeming qualities that make the Portalobservers look like saints by comparison
>The locals can never solve problems on their own anymore
>In fact the plot will largely be driven by horrible things happening to the few locals who might have solved the problem without the Walkers who Stare at Gates
>Any negative repercussions of the Doorview's actions are largely handwaved

>That sounds like something Lovecraft would do, right?
corruption and madness were pretty big themes in lovecraft.
SOI did Lovecraft better, as it was more mental and social corruption and less tentacles, but this is a game about throwing monsters at each other so having the tentacles come out in the second set wasn't that bad.

This.

Also, Tameo does the biggest part of the work, followed by Lilliana (not part of the Jacetice league yet), then Sorin.

So is Nahri gonna face any kind of retribution for almost annihilating a plane full of innocent people or is she sacrosanct because Sorin was a big meanie to her?

Maybe not, but Dark Depths + Thespian Stage rips her a new arsehole on turn 4. Truly, Marit Lage is the best creature.

I for one welcome our new cryomancer overlord, and hope she is the villain of the set after Kaladesh.

>all of the Zendikar angels
still good
>Sigarda
Still good
>Angels in Ravnica
same split between good and Arzov that was always there

They've literally only done the 'corrupted angel' thing in sets where corruption of the natural order is a major part of the set.
And white not necessarily being 'good' has been a thing since before the dreaded NWO.

Maro has confirmed she was the primary antagonist of the block. Whether she'll get away is another question, but spoiler alert, some times the bad guys win.

I liked the Rats in the Walls and Color out of Space refs.

>Dark Depths + Thespian Stage
>Putting on a play literally summons an avatar of death
My new favorite combo

It's like the King in Yellow

That WotC enjoys fucking white in the ass by ruining some of the best angels we had access too

That's the idea, yes.

She is a special snowflake womyn. With the way wizards is going, what do you think?

Any attempt at retribution on Nahiri will be met with shrieking from SJWs to stop oppressing Nahiri with your patriarchy, she was justified in ruining Innistrad because she FELT TRIGGERED

>again bringing feminism
I want this meme to stop.

Sorin was an asshole and everything was sorted out like Old School Planeswalker battle. If anything is wrong here it's Zendikar and Innistrad geing saved by Jacetice League.

That if Wizards says they're going back to your favorite plane, start hardening your heart.

This meme is officially dead.

As in, deader than a doornail. It's dead. Even MaRo says that Nahiri's the primary antagonist, a villain and a fucking bad person.

Too late, already cried buckets.

>At least we have Sigarda.
>And the entire Heron flight.
Fixed that for you. Humanity still has 1/3 of the angels completely uncorrupted. They're just not getting cards.

Is there any proof for that? I don't recall it ever being said.

Plane Shift: Innistrad confirmed it.

>"Only Sigarda and the Host of Herons remained unaffected by Avacyn’s madness, perhaps because they were the angels of purity. The survivors of this host retreated to their old haunt in Gavony’s remote parish of Videns to maintain a safe distance from Avacyn."

>Favorite plane is Dominara
Blessing and a curse.

Brisela is like when a corruption doujin goes too far.

This Gisela however is when it goes to the perfect point.

Well, that's certainly good news.

Shame though. I liked the idea of having different multicolored angel flights.

That's not the fucking question, learn2read, the question is if she will suffer some kind of punishment for her actions

And no, she won't because muh womyn had reasons

She won't because planeswalking villains always get away in MTG.

You just know that someone at WotC has a corruption fetish.

They needed to worf some good guys in the vain hope Emrakul would seem like a genuine threat when a few weeks later we learn the Gatewatch defeated her shortly after she manifested on the plane, and if somebody needs to get worfed it's almost always an angel.

EMN was a pretty big disappointment, but I knew it was likely to go this way for me since I like Gothic Horror's aesthetics and hate Cosmic Horror. I just hope they're not seriously going to go with "tentacles are a part of Innistrad's look forever now, deal with it."

She will suffer and be defeated at some point because she is a villain, now fuck off and take your /r9k/ rhetoric elsewhere.

They hate Brisela shippers.

How the fuck is Sorin a villain? He might have been misguided, conceited, and more than a bit of a dick but at no point did he concoct a diabolical plan to fuck anyone's day. I would think the bar for being a villain requires some sort of malice beyond being an asshole with neutral to good intentions.

It's telling me that we need Serra to come back (the canonity of her death is seriously in question) and set some good standards for angels.

I just want some happy angels. :c

He eats people and his reaction things going badly was not to look for solutions, but to murder Avacyn to appease the evilest vampire in Innistrad in order to conduct a campaign of vengeance on Nahiri and the cult.

I suppose what he did to Nahiri was a serious dick move, but I would say "villainous" is a stretch. It was SUPER-douchey, but it was a stupid fight brought on by Sorin and Nahiri's combined pride and stubbornness that got everyone in this mess to begin with, not a diabolical scheme.

I suppose from Nahiri's perspective, Sorin is a villain who betrayed her and left her world to die to protect his own, but from what we've seen Sorin was ashamed of his actions a thousand years ago and tried to make things right by checking in on Zendikar to maintain the lock since he couldn't free Nahiri.

They meant "Remember, they came as three."

This was Emrakul's attempt to bring the numbers back up since the other Titans died. It's a replacement Ulamog.

We have happy Angels. Bant has happy Angels.

Honestly, most of OG innistrad block was devoted to sad Angels.

Boros had some excellent angels, and still does. They just made Thugrelia their poster child.

They did have a good ending, though, although everybody bitched about it.

I personally liked that Innistrad's one of the first times I've seen someone do a horror setting that has angels and didn't need to resort to the tired old "W-Well, evil still exists in this horror setting because angels are assholes" cliche most go for. The angels weren't dicks, they were just outnumbered and, at the time of our introduction to them, without their leader.

Then SOI ruined that, but eh.

Given how much people were clamoring for white villains, I am surprised how bad the reaction is towards RW crusade Angels and Nahiri.

>What'rakul did'rakul they'rakul mean'rakul by'rakul this'rakul?

ftfy'rakul

>I suppose from Nahiri's perspective, Sorin is a villain who betrayed her and left her world to die to protect his own, but from what we've seen Sorin was ashamed of his actions a thousand years ago and tried to make things right by checking in on Zendikar to maintain the lock since he couldn't free Nahiri.
>"well from my point of view the jedi are evil"
>wotc actually thinks this is good writing

>Then SOI ruined that, but eh.
you mean changed.
Because if you were expecting SOI to just be a retread of the same conflicts and themes as original Innistrad, you were never going to get that. Because that set already existed.

People seem to keep on going "white villains" while ignoring that Phyrexia is primarily white now, Heliod was a white villain, the evil order on the next plane is primarily white-aligned...

It's not a fucking new concept. Stop treating it like it is.

That's a shitty way to do White villains. If this is what people wished for, they got Monkey's Pawed.

That's sad and messed up at the same time. She's trying to make replacements for her little brothers, but they will never be quite the same.

I love lovecraft but completely missed the Rats and Color allusions. What are they?

Chitering host and.....

What we really need is Green villains.

What I wanted was angels getting pressed in the corner and needing to form an unlikely alliance with the demons they have always fought against the eldritch abominations descending from the sky to destroy their world.

What I got was a load of shit.

Is color out of space that Eldrazi Reflection Aurora thing?

Cryptolith Fragment/Aurora of Emrakul

>evil order
>Kaladesh
>keeping Chandra down
I dunno, that sounds like a 100% noble cause to me, bro.

Green villains, Black heroes, really they just need to be less worried about reminding us that 'White can be evil guys it's Law not Good' every 5 minutes.

Yeah. Showing everyone on Innistrad, monsters and angels included uniting against Eldrazi would have been cooler.

This.

When was the last time Green was villainous? Lorwyn? Or does that not count because Rhys was also Green?

Rancid Rats and Cryptolith Fragment.

Phyrexia, I'd say, the green praetor and corrupted Glissa were pretty nasty.

Theros...maybe? I mean, Xenagos was half-green and Nylea was a douche even if she did help Elspeth out.

They did that with Zendikar and Vampire Allies and whatnot and you hated it.

So basically Zendikar. What were you expecting? "Human Ally Werewolf" doesn't fit on the type line very well.

He's arrogant, selfish, cruel, and cold. He'll act for the greater good if that good also helps him, but he's completely willing to fuck others over, or let entire planes die if he feels it's in his personal interest.

Nahiri is vengeful and ruthless. Willing to act for the greater good, even willing to sacrifice herself for it, but uncaring about who she hurts in getting way. She didn't want the people on innistrad to suffer, she just didn't give a damn about them so long as she was able to make Sorin suffer as much as possible.

They are both capable of being villains, and both have a distinct personality and reasoning for the bad things they did.
People on Veeky Forums just seem to like selfish pragmatism, over passionate vindictiveness

Green villains are supposedly hard to write unless you go full treehugger or survival of the fittest because besides their nature shit, they are defined by not walking to interfere.

It's pretty easy to make green antagonists but villains is a bit trickier.

I feel fucking stupid now. That's so obvious.

Nissa on Zendikar.

they went for the corruption and madness route.
Given that they already did eldrazi as open all consuming threat, that would basically be a complete retread of Zendikar.

And using corruption and madness, they were able to bring Lovecraftian elements into Innistrads gothic horror, which I personally thought was neat as Lovecrafts biggest contribution was bringing otherworldly monsters being created in the pulp sci-fi of the time and merging it with elements from older gothic horror.

Except corruption and madness and body horror just makes it seem like Emrakul's a discount phyrexian superweapon rather than a world-consuming monstrosity. Emrakul was a lot more intimidating when it was a silent, drifting island of annihilation than Meme'rakul.

I didn't want the Eldrazi on Innistrad at all, but it was clear that was what they were going for, so the conflicts and tribal dynamics already in play there ended up turning to tentacles and allies-only-we're-not-using-that-tribe-this-time.

Make it a fuckoff huge beast that has decided an entire Plane is it's hunting grounds. Make it sentient enough to recognize that the people it is hunting are also sentient, but decide that just makes them more worthwhile prey. A sort of classic Beowulf style monster story could be fun with all the grandiose shit that's been going on lately. If you have to involve Planeswalkers, pick some junior leagues like Domri and Tibalt.

Phyrexia was evil across all colours, not really a prime example of Green taking centre stage. As far as Xenagos goes, he's distinctly Red/Green, which differs greatly since his evil traits were pretty clearly sunken into the red.

This differs from Nahiri, who was pretty firmly established as white and then it seemed red was sorted on as a balancing reason. "Insanity" knows know colour, as Shadows of Innistrad itself shows, so I hardly think slapping red on is much of a justification.

That's true, we do sorta have Garruk. I guess they need to snatch Green's colour identity back from its hybrid colours, lest it becomes generic. Though it's pretty clear Wizards doesn't like green anymore, so I can't imagine they give a shit about that.

Is hunting for sport green though? I don't know.

Well, the current fad is rage against the 'muh feelings' crowd and to cheer whenever they get beaten down by the establishment.

There's a lot of people that delight in seeing the more emotional, reactive characters in fiction get beaten down by cold, hard pragmatism. Friendship, love and 'muh feelings' do not save the day, harsh logic and ruthlessness do.

So Nahiri's got this going against her and that's why there's a whole bunch of people bitching about her, because she's not only a villain but she's a 'muh feelings' villain rather than a Machiavellian, pragmatic villain that they would empathize with.

If you react to this image by cheering on the police officer and couldn't imagine why anyone would ever NOT cheer on the police officer, you're probably the sort of person I'm talking about.

You could spin it as Green, even if it's in the portion of Green that could overlap with Black.

Mark's article on green is pretty great.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/its-not-easy-being-green-revisited-2015-08-10

I hated it because it ended up being pointless, since the whole 'luring and trapping Ulamog with help from our army' thing went south so they just channel+fireballed them instead.

They don't need to add Allies or make it a big mechanical thing. Just replace some of those card arts of the Gatewatch fighting back to back against Eldrazi with Humans, Angels, and Monsters doing the same.