/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Mana dorks edition! Hard mode: Non-Green mana dorks, colorless doesn't count.

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Damn, made the thread just after the old one died. Oh well.

So, does anyone else want to see Red cards doing this?

How should I increase the mana costs? I like the way they are now. I guess I could just add C to each mana cost.

Made some adjustments to these based on the feedback I got last thread (Thanks for that by the way; sorry that I couldn't reply before the thread died). Blue commons to follow.

And the blue. I tried some weird stuff here, but I hope you all like it!

Also, some user wanted this art. So, here you go.

Still trying to figure out what to do with this guy. Any ideas?

I feel like that could be really degenerate if there isn't a limit on how many times a turn you can do it.

Treasonous Ogre has the same ability but only makes R. Up the mana cost of the card? Or limit mana production to B or G?

He's a great sac engine as is.

Limimting it to B or G would be a step in the right direction. It's only crazy good in formats where it is easily abusable so as long as there wouldn't be an infinite life combo in your set he's honestly fine. I'm over reacting based on stuff like legecy and EDH.

Okay. Just took a quick glance. You seem to have a lot of keywords, and there are some issues there.

I can't tell what Ritual does really, as the only two cards don't seem to share much.

Journey costs seem way too high. Even with the recursion potential, bouncing something to your own hand is usually way cheaper than that.

It seems odd to have some cards that care about 5+ mana spells to have Abundance, while others just don't.

The wording on Ambush is odd, and it isn't an overly White mechanic. Having surprise attackers or blockers by flashing them in for extra better fits in Red or Green.

Augment seems interesting, though the Blue version applying the effect to both instant/sorceries and permanants seems odd. It is a solid idea though

I'm down for Red Artifact matters stuff. I think Blue has gotten similar effects. Haste is also a nice touch.

Oh. Well, if it's good as-is, I'll just leave it then.

Well, I could up the mana cost as well. But thanks.

Yeah, lifted the ability straight from Blue. I just hope it's something Wizards starts using for Red as well. As long as people keep demanding something for Red besides Goblins and burn, I think they will eventually. Actually, considering the next block is going to be steampunk India, I think that will be the best change to see some more artifacts matter cards in Red.

Ritual lets you have something ETB tapped to get an effect. I'm not a fan of it either.

That's what I thought ritual was too, which would be okay, but Osari Sycophant doesn't share that wording which is why I'm confused.

Enemy-color set, each enemy-color pairing has an associated keyword. Augment and Escalate have a presence in all five colors.

Ritual cares about your creature being tapped. It's an ability word, so that tapped-ness is the only mechanical link.

Journey can be used at instant speed, which means it doubles as protection from removal. Additionally, the set cares about casting spells, and this lets you regain spells to cast.

Ambush's reminder text wording is derived from other, similar clauses on existing cards. It's the WR keyword; I feel that white is very capable of flashing in creatures and combat-trickery.

Glad to hear you like augment.

I hope that clears some things up for you, user. Thanks for looking over them.

Bleh, too wordy?

Well, that's what it was when I last spoke to him about it, I guess he's changed it since then.

Look at Skirsdag High Priest vs. Tragic Slip.

A better example would be the spells with Landfall on them. It's still pretty weird though, since it can't enable itself but others can.

It can enable itself by attacking, user.

Yeah. Both of those trigger only if a creature died that turn. There's a common wording, even though one is an instant that triggers once, and the other is a creature that gains an ability.

This doesn't have that. Ritual let's you have something enter tapped, or gain an effect while something is tapped. Is the common theme tapped? Because that seems to vague for a keyword.

Oh, I misread it. The user really changed it. I wonder why. Still not a fan though. In fact, now it just seems stranger.

It doesn't gain an ability. It always had that ability. Don't be dumb.

The common theme is the creature being tapped. The BW group is a cult whose members gain power through worship. Ability words generally focus on interactions both singular and common, which creatures becoming tapped fits. I would not make a keyword along the same lines.
It isn't changed, it's just the difference between an activated ability tied to the ability word and an ETB ability tied to that same ability word.

But it doesn't have a common wording. Look at the examples people posted for Morbid or Landfall. 'if a creature died this turn', 'if you had a land enter the battlefield'.

Even though they set up different effects, they have a common trigger. Choose either them entering tapped and gaining an effect, or only gaining something while they're tapped. Otherwise you need two different mechanics.

>inb4 "Only Black gets Gold tokens."

Red taxing people attacking them is the bigger issue here.

Well... there's this.

I was thi.king of that exact card when the troll was posted. There is precedent, but it's rare and generally more of a white thing.

It is a cool effect in Red though and has significant synergies with forcing attacks. And unlike white, it doesn't prevent you from attacking ever, it just gives you an advantage if they don't pay. Like Slumbering Dragon.

Which I like a lot.

Boom. Wordy, I know, but I can't really think of a way of simplifying it without changing how one of the effects works.

I know it defeats the fun of it, but you could just have him deal the damage rather than dealing with a replacement effect.

Wait, why didn't I think of that? Oh, because I was just changing things rather than looking at the card as a whole. I mean, there's a fringe case of making it not a creature and it deals infinite damage, but... Is that really a huge concern?

It is not. Especially since he needs to have charge counters on it already for it to happen.

So, you would need to have him have charge counters, turn into a noncreature AND have a means to personally deal the damage.

OK, changed. Thanks.

Meh. I mean, without support, it'll only untap itself once.

>Counter target spell.
>Tension — If you have fewer cards in hand that that spell's controller, ~ can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Why spells or abilities? So it can still be countered by the game if the target becomes illegal.

I'd rather red just stick with rituals.

There is support for -1/-1 matters in the set.

Wait, I actually think it should be
>If that spell's controller has more cards in hand than you, [...]

...I meant anthems. None of these cards will let that other creature untap more than once.

Fair point.

I know. It's not really supposed to.

To be fair, there's this, but I am not sure how to word it so it isn't either useless or really conditional.

Blech, you need better resolution art. As for the ability... I think you have it as best as it can be right now.

I like this idea of Artifact Enchantment Creatures. I can see the monored one doing something like this:

>Whenever an Artifact or Enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

Awesome. But it seems a bit too pushed. I get how a 3/3 is usually smaller than anything worth cloning and it is always susceptible to loads and loads of removal, but the synergies with the types and the fact that it is pretty close to a Clever Impersonator in terms of options makes me thing it should either be 5 mana or require double U. Or honestly, maybe both.

I like this design a lot.

Pretty cool.

Will you be making more cards like this?

That resolution is crap, sort it out now.

I don't have better art that fits. It's not like I have an artist at my beck and call.

>I really love Undying and Persist. How do I break the shit out of both of them at the same time?
Whatever you do, don't make en enchantment that gives everything you have Persevere. It won't end well.

And unfortunately, I also can't find better art. For some reason, all versions of that pic are low-res.

Haven't touched this one in a while. How is it? Too much repeatable removal?

Love it, although you may want to make the mana cost for the fight ability include R.

Here's how I did this.

>Too much repeatable removal?
Yes, especially since after one kill he's not going to die from fighting. But he dies to removal, gets chumped and has a heavy color weight, so whatevs.

Maybe make it a one-off effect?
>When ~ enters the battlefield, you may have it deal damage equal to its power to target creature. When that creature dies this turn, put X +1/+1 counters on ~, where X is that creature's power.
Or should it be toughness? Or should he just gobble up the creature without dealing damage? I'm pretty sure Green does that with a Wurm.

Engulfing Slagwurm, that's it. Maybe I'll just make a +1/+1 counter version of that. Though I don't think the +1/+1 counters will scale in that case.

That should be Forests and Green

Land type changing is part of Blue's theme of change and illusion. It's a blue effect, and Blue is allowed to care about Islands.

See Tideshaper Mystic (Lorwyn), Terraformer (Ravnica), Grixis Illusionist (Conflux) and Moonbow Illusionist (Saviors of Kamigawa).

green would just enchant a land and give it every basic land type permanently.

It's worse than stone rain, 3cmc, and worse than pretty much every artifact destruction, 1-2 cmc being common. It IS out of color, blue doesn't typically mess with artifacts or lands specifically, but i don't think you need the destroy ability to have it be fine, especially since it doesn't tap on its own. Maybe cmc4 for it sans the destroy, but i don't even know if that's needed.

>It's worse than stone rain, 3cmc, and worse than pretty much every artifact destruction, 1-2 cmc being common.
Individually yes, but when you get the choice between artifact or land destruction it usually costs 4 (Demolish, Bramblecrush). It's still not very good removal at 3 cmc, but it is within blue's sphere. Blue can freeze artifacts (Encrust, Numbing Dose, Coma Veil, Inertia Bubble) and very rarely lands (Tamiyo, Frost Titan, Psychic Overload).

"Worse than Stone Rain" is one of those technically true but ultimately worthless criticisms, if you ask me, because Stone Rain is as efficient a land destruction effect will ever be. It's like pointing at any Black removal and saying "Worse than Doom Blade," as though Wizards hasn't spend the last fifteen years printing "bad" Stone Rains and the last five years printing "bad" Doom Blades.

Functional reprint of Devoted Druid? I like.

You've got ritual working two completely different ways in your first two cards. That's not cohesive enough.

Ambush seems neat.
>During combat, you may cast this spell as though it had flash for its ambush cost. (If you do, it gains haste until end of turn.)

Augment doesn't really work as a keyword. It wants to be an ability word like you have Ritual.
>Augment - Whenever you cast a [type] spell, you may pay [cost]. If you do, that spell gains [ability].

Journey also seems neat.

Fair point, the relationship between the two may be too tenuous. I have changed Ritual to reverse-Inspired, as shown. Now they match much more cleanly.
Really digging the flavor here. I've always liked champion, and this feels similar.

Yeah, I posted some changes just a couple of seconds after you posted your concerns, here .
>ambush
I don't like using existing keywords like flash within reminder text. New players might not know what flash means.
>augment
Why would augment not work as a keyword? I would prefer to keep it as such if possible.

Thanks for the feedback, user. Glad to see you like some of what I'm doing.

Priestess is a fair aggressive card. Syncophant seems needlessly obtuse in that there's more text for the restriction than the bonus. Change it to a triggered ability that gives you the option to pay mana when it becomes tapped.

You're right, the old wording was only necessary with the old iteration of the ability. I have a bad habit of half-changing things. I'll fix that.

How are you this inconsistent?
>Whenever ~ becomes tapped, [you may pay COST. If you do,] EFFECT.

I changed the first half of the card without changing the second half. I addressed this here. . It has already been fixed.

Catharsis damaging you seems counter-flavor.

Sorry, I didn't see that. Thank you for taking our advice.

Crazy, but I don't think it's unbalanced. Depending on what you're building your set around, though, it might make decks too consistent, especially ones with sac outlets.

I'm always open to advice. Thank you and other anons for taking the time to give me feedback.

>efficient a land destruction effect will ever be.
Strip Mine, Wasteland, Ghost Quarter, and when the cmc on stone rain increases, it usually comes with a big upside, or sees no play, such as crumble to dust.

>purophoros+ornithopter=infinite damage

I wonder how many broken combos can be attributed to Ornithopter.

This is neat. A painland that you can mitigate the downside of. Also very fitting for the colors.

It also can't generate colorless, which makes it not strictly better which i like.`

How about a Null Profusion provided by a woman mad with bloodlust? I'm sorry, I can't into balance.

best

Should be 'your opponents' I believe. Also a pretty hefty lockdown for its cost.

Pretty good.

Not sure if this is pushed too much for a common.