What is the most minimalist, yet coherent system you've ever actually played?

What is the most minimalist, yet coherent system you've ever actually played?

Bliss Stage. On paper, it looks like it should fall apart horribly. In practice, it just works.

I don't know about the most minimalist overall, but Barbarians of Lemuria wins as far as full-length systems--and not some two-page cram sheet--are concerned.

Dogs in the Vineyard. If you have the official character sheet, NPC sheet, and town sheet you can almost play it right off the sheets themselves. I've played 6-hour games where the book never got referenced once.

Risus. Great little game, too.

Over the Edge.

Fucking this.

I ran a two-year long game of Rogue Trader using Risus as the system. Shit was off the hook.

I got nothing. Played couple minimalist systems, but none of them were what I would call coherent. Not by a long shot.

A homebrew I made called Rolls: The Dicening.
It was bare minimum rules. Three stats, roll for every action, et cetera. I might post the revised version later today if anyone's interested.

What do you mean by that? I've never gotten a chance to play Bliss Stage, but on paper it looked amazing to me.

>tweaking my interest-feelers

do want

Reading this game now. Looks great. A game of Rogue Trader using it sounds both hilarious and fun.

Thinking of running a dungeon crawl with it now or something.

Goddamnit! The best threads here always fucking die! Why can't we have ACTUAL fucking interesting posts and discussions instead of Bullshit Quest/General Thread #31575

i want to see it

Kobold Story
A game that only uses coin flips
And other that uses a single d6

Does Everyone is John count? That's a tight game.

when you come from playing Dnd 3.5 and Pathfinder, OSR seems minimalist in comparison

Dnd 1974 worked pretty well

What's the most embellished, yet coherent system you've ever actually played?

This is the one I made like 2 or so years ago. Completely untouched in all its cringey glory

Hey I was around for this. I seem to remember finding something odd about the math before the thread died though.

Yeah, looking over it, I feel like it could be simplified a ton. Replace the fats vs charm thing with a difficulty scale based on the probability curve, etc.

Mythras pared the RQ6 rules to 34 pages which are pretty damn crunchy for 34 pages still but makes for an easily learned rules-light-ish system.

There's that, but I think I actually found that increasing your dice lowered your chance of success.

Black Crusade

And again I am posting this. 5th time this week or something

When I run kobold story I really struggle to reward smart thinking, it seems like "how to beat a problem" is "everyone just pile in and add dice" for every problem be it combat, climbing, stealing things, building things, etc.
For example, I had two players once that set up the "i kneel behind the enemy, you push them -> enemy falls prone from a minor push" tactic and... the system doesn't reward it more than "we both attack the enemy" would. I like the setting, I like the feel of rewarding teamwork but expecting horrible and frequent death, but I want to be able to reward koboldy thinking too.

Anyone ever try Cypher? I've been looking into it for a campaign and it seems pretty minimalist. There's some bizarre rules (like there's about 4 "special" outcomes for a damage roll) but those can easily be swept under the table.

Do you have any suggestions for systems that DO reward creative thinking? Not calling you out or anything, I'm just curious. I've been looking for one.

Shadowrun 4e? Does that count as embellished yet coherent in your eyes?

Same user here. Well, more what Veeky Forums sold it to me as. The book comes off as slightly pretentious, but it's a comfy read.

You really should play it, though. user.