Song of Swords: Guy doing the maneuver cards, good luck

LAST TIME ON SONG OF SWORDS
Was Zellmurhaja a sarturi chosen?
Is anyone doing those maneuver cards?
Are Australians slaves or convicts?

Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a .zip archive with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
tempsend.com/CE7AAED497/677A/Song_of_Swords.zip

Here's a walkthrough on creating a character
paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Here's a walkthrough on weapon schools for SoS 1.9.9 with examples
paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

PDF is the Ballad of the Laser Whales' latest version, bookmarked.

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

Legend.

Other urls found in this thread:

tempsend.com/CE7AAED497/677A/Song_of_Swords.zip
quizlet.com/_2e83u7
napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/cavalry_tactics.html
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19SPyOMKvH-SCS2PlC1FD1jFMmkgiFkKKv-0SXPfnGWU/edit?usp=sharing
youtu.be/k3J8FYKZ52w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Zells aren't actually bees
Awwwwww

>tempsend.com/CE7AAED497/677A/Song_of_Swords.zip
I think that's the wrong one.

Probably. I hope so at least

I'm good.

buzz buzz m8

Fuck, antiislamist coup lost. Faggot Erdogan will have support for another decade.

>Fucking up a coup
For fuck's sake Turkey, your military literally has ONE job.

>Was Zellmurhaja a sarturi chosen?
GEE, I wonder!

Fuck.

On the other hand, idiots won't get to think that an armed coup is the pinnacle of democracy.

I think it's literally in their constitution, the Turkish military is supposed to stop the government from becoming too radicalized, ever since Ataturk.

But this time it wasn't really "the military" so much as it was a faction of the military, and they weren't really fulfilling their duty.

>There's a new Berserk animu
How did this escape my attention, seriously

Because it's CGI that looks like it was made in the early 2000's? I love berserk as much as the next guy but the "Anime" makes me want to vom

It is pretty deplorable. I don't understand how this happened, what, are they short on money? Fucking how, everyone loves Berserk. The new Jojo stuff all looks great.

This might explain it.

Why they didn't give it to Ufotable or a company like them with a proven track record for sickass animation I don't know.

So, Gizka's art has spread to a lot of Veeky Forums because she's a pretty solid "practical" warrior girl. Is there anything about the art that you didn't like?

No, not at all. The artist did a good job (tiny mistakes with the armor aside) and captured the character pretty well.

However, it wasn't supposed to really be an in-depth character portrait, meaning the expression came off very neutral compared to, say, D'Arceline or Sark. Sark's picture has problems too, but you can tell looking at Sark that he's an asshole and probably a fascist, and you can tell looking at Crecerelle that she's a nice person in general.

Looking at Gizka, there's nothing. And that's sort of expected, I actually thought he was going to draw her with a helmet on, so I didn't go into too much depth on her character as a person.

One thing I would say that I would do different if we ever drew something more "zoomed in" so to speak is that Gizka does not look like a stable person. She isn't supposed to. One of the reasons that I liked one of the earlier black and white depictions of her was that it captured this pretty well. The whites beneath Gizka's irises are visible during her neutral expression, and the whites above become visible when she is angry. This gives her a perpetually unsettling expression unless she squints. It's what the Japanese call sanpaku, a fascinating analysis of human character through the amount of white visible around their eyes.

Might be a bit mystical but in conveying character it is an amazing tool. I only found out what it was called the other day, but I have had this image of the character's expressions for a long time.

Hmm... They've managed to create in me the exact feeling I had when I found our Berserk guy was Idolm@aster guy.

On the up-swing the smug brunette with the money looks fun, does anyone know if the other stuff is worth it?

What is your opinion on the fancomic?
what little there is of it, anyhow?

ufotable has okay animation, good SFX that hides their poor choreography and a reputation.

Honestly it's great. I know Coffee has vanished into the depths of the North Sea or wherever it is they go, but I will always remember what he has done so far.

There's a feeling that really can't be replicated--seeing someone else whom you have never met do something in a milieu you worked to build, and take it in their own direction. That's what I got into this whole thing for, and really if nothing else ever comes out of it, I'll still treasure that pervert's comic until the day I die. I have a copy of it printed out, you know, I keep it in a box along with some other momentos. I think it's a few teeth, the first .45 round that ever jammed on me, the first miniature I painted, a photo of my dad and I when I was young, and now the disturbed scribblings of a Danish sailor.

It's great. I hope he keeps going, but people have lives and stuff. Well, most people.

>Danish
He's Finnish, you glorious catamite.

Nah, Danish. Finns don't have humor and he didn't even write murhaaja right.

I thought he was Danish. Hell if I know, I'm American, remembering specific Scandinavian ethnicities isn't one of our racial powers.

>happycutegirls happycutegirls happycutegirls
>BERSERK
>happycutegirls

>murhaaja
wait, that's finnish!?
But he is a fag, right?
Damnit, do we actually know anything about this guy!?

I think he said he's continue it if he got a job so he could buy a scanner.

>Zellmurhaja
Literally means Zell Murderer, written wrongly.

That's his whole character, compressed into his name, and I love the character for it.

Simplicity is everything.

Oh wow.
You know, the characters, while they didnt get time to get much characterization, did feel like someones PC's. You got the guy who is not sure what his character is yet, the guy who is really into killing things, the player who knows more than what he lets on and that guy that makes a character that doesnt speak the language AND is the wrong race.

>you can tell looking at Crecerelle that she's a nice person in general.
Really? That's not really the vibe she gives me.

>Jimmy "the Holocaust was insufficient" Rome dissatisfied with portrait, demeans head artist for failing to commit sanpaku
Headlines write themselves.

Danes are the ones who fuck outdoors at music festivals and eat strawberries and cream. Finns are the ones who spend their days sitting around in saunas and squinting suspiciously at Helsinki.

Shit, both kind of fits for Coffee.

>Jimmy
>Being mad at anyone for not finishing the job
He has no right.

I have a semi-relatwd question for you guys, not specifically about the game but in dealing with real practice weapon use and martial arts in a fantasy setting.

How would something that's inhumanly strong, like say an ogre, or supernaturally quick like, idk, a vampire, approach armed combat in a world that otherwise assumes people fight in a (semi) real world manner? What kind if weapons, armor, stances, etc do you think they would adopt if they were experienced and trained?

This is what I have so far. It's missing Unarmed maneuvers, hilt push Maneuvers, mounted maneuvers and other such Niche systems. Not really cards per-say but it looks like you can print, cut them out and then fold them to make cards. Not the most paper efficient way but hey it's something. If anyone has any critiques or suggestions feel free to leave them and i'll see about addressing them.

Captcha is hungry today, it seems.

whoops quizlet.com/_2e83u7

Makes me remember a book where a half-giant is discussing getting armed with a !notcelt and he says "you're so large and strong you would just break a sword. No, a club for you and no armour will save them."

Inhumanely strong would obviously strongarm everything.

Try to vividly imagining yourself fighting against a toddler that has just learned to walk to really hammer home the difference inhumane means.

Someone have a printer free to test these?

Are there any manuals or demonstrations on attacking from horse without a lance or spear? Especially while moving?

I'm not seeing a print button.

Seems like you need to login.

>that guy that makes a character that doesnt speak the language AND is the wrong race.
Shit, I just realised that's a thing.
It is the vibe she gave me.

napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/cavalry_tactics.html
This might be a good place to start, but I'm having trouble finding any actual manual as to cavalry doctrine.

Did a quick printer test.

The backside is barely readable, and that's just the first cards. Some of the later really long explanations are useless as far as this kind of card goes, since you couldn't read anything from the backside.

>Shit, I just realised that's a thing.
RIGHT?
And the guy playing zellmuraja has to invent reasons why his character wouldnt murder him on the spot!
Heck, even the way the zell is introduced is reminiscent of poor GM introduction made worse by inexperienced players.

So, what I'd suggest based on this:

Have a separate table for the rules of different maneuvers.

Then, on top of that reference table that is a nice little pamphlet full of pure rules speak, make a deck of cards with only the name of the maneuver, a page number and position of the same maneuver in the reference table pamphlet, and a fluff text what the maneuver is supposed to do.

I think the name, cost, a sentence for fluff and an incredibly distilled form of rules would be best. No edge cases in the rules, abbreviations, nothing extra. Just the move as simply as it can be stated for the card.

The thing with distilled rules is that you have to write those distillations, and still need to have the actual rules at hand at the table. That's why I propose an easy to flip trough a4 sized pamphlet with the full rules of each maneuver, with numbered pages and maneuvers. Think bible and the numbered verses.

Cost is good add, though.

My printer decided to die on the "Bible" version, but it seemed good enough what it managed to print.

Here's the google spreadsheet for the bible version of the basic maneuvers. I gave everyone the ability to edit. I'll continue to work on it, since it shows promise. docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19SPyOMKvH-SCS2PlC1FD1jFMmkgiFkKKv-0SXPfnGWU/edit?usp=sharing

Next on the line would be the card deck. Anyone know of a good card template?

That works.

Let us consult the holy book. Advanced Maneuvers 3, Murderstroke 2.

I went with the X.X style.

First number being the type of the maneuver, and the second number being the maneuver itself.

Thus, 1.1 means Basic maneuvers, swing.

Give us some lore or something Jimbo.

kill jester

What?

It's my money. Do it. Kill 'a.

But what?

What religion does the rest of the non-Chironite world practice?

Kill jester.

No, seriously, what the fuck are you on about?

youtu.be/k3J8FYKZ52w

Dont know where else to ask what are good Swords&Sorcery Systems?

Barbarians of Lemuria.

Runequest.

Song of Swords if you could figure out magic.

GURPS. Probably Low-Tech, Martial Arts and Thaumaturgy. Just remember you don't need to use every rule in the book.

>Low-Tech, Martial Arts and Thaumaturgy
Don't forget about Dungeon Fantasy and GURPS Conan.

Probably want to cut martial arts then, he's pulling four books before DF and Conan. Too many choices leads to no choice being made.

Burning Wheel.

I'd personally suggest mouse guard before diving in to the tome that is burning wheel. Only thing that is missing is magic.

He's read unedited SoS; he'll be fine.

Plus, you can't go wrong if you dive into the deep end.

Does Mouse Guard use that weird scripting mechanic for combat from Burning Wheel?

You mean declaring intentions and then declaring your course of action for the conflict? Yes.

I love how no one mentioned Bovine.

I mean preparing sequence of actions for all participants and then revealing them step by step, one against another.

Haven't played it, so can't really recommend it, now can I?

Speaking of which, has anybody a story a tell about bovine game? Anybody played it?

You mean Boobs of the Iron Throne?

Oh yeah, you first declare your goal, calculate your disposition, then choose three actions which are revealed one at a time.

I see. Never picked up Burning Wheel because of this combat system. It feels very anticlimactic and not very fun.

Well, it was a hit and miss when we first started, but when we started to create "good" goals that showed clear intention what the characters were aiming for, on both sides, with clear consequences for losing and GM stopped hiding things from the players OOC it became really fun and I actually prefer Mouse Guard system for beer and pretzel nights.

What I personally miss from other games is the OOC dread of the unknown. In Burning wheels and Mouse Guard you aren't supposed to hide things from players. There's trust that OOC info keeps OOC, and players actively try to come up with good stories instead of victories all the time. This means that players might know already before the game even starts who the murderer is, in our most extreme example, just so that they can come up with good characters that make it interesting to see their beliefs and instincts clash.

But this means the wonder of the unknown is kinda lost. You win some you lose some.

Bible is coming along. At the moment it takes 3 double sided a4 pages. Haven't managed to make a good card yet, though.

It's worth pointing out that the scripted fight! system is not meant to be used for every encounter, only for the important and dramtic stuff if people want it.

There are two levels of simplified combat that resolve matters with a couple of rolls for when the full on fight! system would just slow things down.

Personally I quite like fight!, and it has a number of neat mechanics like shield destruction and the importance of positioning. With a knife or dagger you want to get right up in the enemy's face while a spearman wants to keep distance and the system makes determining the first step of a bout.

As with SoS, combat hurts and a fair fight is something to be avoided if possible.

Can you turn a sword bind into a elbow strike to the chest, face, etc? As I understand it normally you'd want to use the pommel but I'm wondering how much you can put your body into it.

You can, but that's gonna require you to basically not do a defense and just take a hit from the guy you're sword binding with for whatever reason.

One of my players wants to fight an SoS "setting character" to gauge how tough the high level people are in the game. He's the sort of guy who doesn't like a pushover, and would probably hold it against the game if he faces a pushover. He's also generally good at games and can spot the holes in a system quickly.

Who should I put him up against, and how should I stat them? Also, how does one play a high level character in SoS? Fechting isn't my field of expertise. Canonical characters in SoS aren't normally statted out. His guy's going to be at Medium Power, and he's probably going to minmax pretty hard. He also said that if anyone has a magic weapon canonically that's cool.

Use Gizka. The trick is she can be as powerful as you need and grow stronger during fight.

Canonically characters like Gizka would be way stronger than any starting character could possibly be, especially at medium power. Gizka is supposed to have 30+ CP, at that point she could fight unarmed and still stand a good chance of defeating someone. Of course, she also wears pretty shitty armor given that she apparently has enough money to field thousands of men. Her limbs are exposed and her helmet in that one pic is open faced. She could be taken out by a lucky hit to the face or arms.

If you want a severe challenge the go-to guy seems to be Ornstein. The poleaxe brother of the Tenja fortress. Supposedly his armor is orichalcum and has no gaps, his poleaxe is fukkin magic and prevents him from being knocked down, and he's also a huge white guy instead of a 5'6 brown girl. Pretty much invincible. It also adds to the mystique of hte truly high level characters. Gizka apparently believes she can beat this guy, and the one Polish dude and King may be able to beat her. So if he faces this god killing monster and then learns that he's two tiers from the top, that might give him an impression of how serious shit gets at the top levels.

Fight him multiple times and report what flaws he finds.

There are three canonical magic swords that I know of in the setting. Two are owned by named characters. Ebakibel and Omraza.

Omraza is Gizka's sword. It can cut through any material. So Gizka has a fucking lightsaber.

The other is Ebakibel, which is a shitty looking dinged up sword that inflicts wounds that never heal. Its owner is an elf called Luu.

We know who Gizka is, we don't know who Luu is.

The third is some sort of sword that blinds atheists if it's held by a religious person, which means it probably belongs to some Paladin.

Why is everything in this game so fucking horrible?

>and grow stronger during fight
Explain. Does she become blonde and blue eyed when she needs to fuck niggas up?

If I had the artistic ability, I'd be right about now drawing Super Dacian Gizka.

>The third is some sort of sword that blinds atheists if it's held by a religious person, which means it probably belongs to some Paladin.
What, like...wherever they are?

I'd assume if they are in the vicinity of that sword. Or looking at it.

Otherwise people would be conditioned very quickly that certain god is indeed the one and only true god, because otherwise you go fucking blind.

The sword is called Faro. It doesn't specifically blind atheists, when it is drawn it glows really brightly, and anyone who doesn't specifically share the belief system of whoever is holding it finds it terrifying and blinding.

That's literally it though. She wears weighted clothing and fights with the wrong hand on purpose. When she feels threatened she sheds the weights and switches to her dominant hand hand.

This is all from the Hef fecht admittedly, but I like to think it's canon.

>Super Dacian Gizka
It's literally just her riding a horse.

The creator was part of a weird German cult as a child and it scarred him emotionally.

They're weapons. They're supposed to be horrible.