What would you want out of the inevitable Return to Theros?

What would you want out of the inevitable Return to Theros?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/kruphixs-insight-2014-06-11
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

More doom blade.

Almost a copy of Theros except for three changes
>All rares cost 1 less
>All mythics cost 2 less
>No returning planeswalkers

We'll call it... "We fixed Theros"

>Ajani goes full edgelord, leads the lion barbarians to sack the poleis for serving the gods
>Elspeth and Xenagos have to buddy comedy their way out of the Underworld to come back to life
>Garruk is there for some reason

More enchantments. More focus on enchantment themed stuff. A lot of it. Enchantment lands of some sort.

I'd really like to build an all-enchantment deck

Elspeth alive again without black in her color identity.

Xenagos still deader than dead.

No fucking Gatewatch members anywhere in sight.

You forget that one of the Gatewatch has to be there.

Despite being from Theros, it can't be Gideon because Elspeth and Ajani are both there and White. I pray Jace isn't there. Liliana could be fun, bargaining with the forces of the Underworld? I want Chandra on Tarkir.

Maybe Nissa could do something interesting?

I liked Xenagos. A redemption arc with him helping the good guys fight Heliod would be great.

>Nissa
>Doing anything interesting
>Ever

Literally why would Elspeth ever work with the asshole who mind-controlled her into killing her lover literally the morning after they first had sex? Not even because he needed to, but because he found it funny. He was already in the process of apotheosis--he had won. He did that just to rub it into her face.

Given that she stayed on Theros solely to avenge Daxos's death by killing Xenagos, why exactly would she then work with Xenagos to get out?

The plot to continue from the last block but no one cares cause Slavs are invading and doing Slav things everywhere

Affinity for Enchantments.

Gatewatch member focus is Gideon (obviously).
Ajanni's fucking pissed and waging War on the Gods (goes R/W), main opponent is Akros.
Massive dissent in Meletis, some say fuck the Gods, other disagree.
Monsters don't give a shit, rampage, Mogis is happy.
Some Gods are becoming more hateful of mortals (not all).
Elspeth marches out of the Underworld as B/W Creature.

Conflict comes to the forefront, all out War across Theros, God are pissed.
Heliod's blowing shit up left, right and centre, trying to retain power through fear.
Army of the Dead's followed Elspeth out, but there are so many dying that Athreos has his hands full. Xenagos has a little chuckle and leaves without needing a Mask, Planeswalks away after making suggestive gestures as Chandra and Nissa.
Ajani saves Elspeth's life, breaks Mask shit, she remember herself, returns to life.
Gods are going mad, shit's going far south, Heliod's going 100% balls to wall crazy "If I go I'm taking the rest of you with me".
They have to kill him, Elspeth realises mortals need God Powers to help protect against monsters, Mogis is stupid fucking strong right now. She ascends to Godhood with the exahltations of many, becomes the new White God.
Reigns the rest in, brings matriarchal "peace" across Theros, Ajani finds peace again.
Ajani joins Gatewatch as casual member.

Weaker Gods means less Enchantment focus.
More use of devotion, show how important it is, give more non-Nyx application.
No Elspeth Walker, she's had enough, Ajani gets another R/W, Gideon goes more peacekeeper, goes U/W.
I don't know. Less crap cards? Can I just say that?

Really all I want back is Mai Waifu though.

>Massive dissent in Meletis
> While other gods are fucking pissed about mortals, Ephara have a philosophical and political debate on morality, rulership and mortals/gods relations.

Gatewatch is basically Justice League, right?

Well, the Justice League has more than just 5 members. Maybe Gatewatch will come to include a whole bunch of planeswalkers, Like Elspeth or Ajani.

>She ascends to Godhood
it's shit

Call it Theros Returned and it's a story about everything being fucked because Elspeth broke out of hell and literally all the dead people are Returned now.

>Heliod's going 100% balls to wall crazy
> Elspeth confronts Heliod
> "So you came... to have your vengeance."
> "That's not why I'm here."
None whiter.

Theros is about the Gods.
Heliod's a shitcunt, he's going to die.
Someone's got to replace him.
Ajani's too spiteful right now, Elspeth makes sense.

You're ignoring Dack and Ashiok, Dack who went into the underworld to steal Erebos' treasure [HINT]:It's Elspeth while Ashiok has been making a new god by putting hundreds of people into everlasting nightmares.

Couldn't it just be a god in the image of Elspeth? Elspeth still has to get revenge on Phyrexia so her story still isn't over, and it can't be till she's finally won.

>Someone's got to replace him
And one would arise in time. The gods are not permanent, nor have they always existed.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/kruphixs-insight-2014-06-11

Brimaz would also work.

Shit taste, the post

Why would you want the Gatewatch anywhere?

> One God lose his/her power and become a simple mortal.
Who is it and how does he reacts? Does he learns some lessons?

Almost nobody really wants the Gatewatch, but they're practically mandatory for the forseeable future.

>Kruphix blahblahblah accidentally tells someone about the multiverse
>Other Gods go ballistic
>Ajani's still around because of plot, GW
>Domri's on Theros because BIG MONSTERS FUCK YEAH GRUUL CLANS AIN'T NUTHIN' TO FUCK WITH, RG
>Ashiok's there again because Dark Jace bullshit, UB
>Tomato begins to research gods, says fuck nature, UW (see where I'm going with this?)
>Tibalt or a very pissed off Koth is there, to either piss people off or beg for people to help Mirrodin, BR
>plot plot plot plot
>Gatewatch Member, probably either Gideon, Liliana, or Jace shows up
>Everything's fucked
>Rounds up the previous five walkers
>Goes to beat up Heliod/Mogis/Erebos, because he's probably one of the bigger assholes
>plotplotplotplot
>Erebos or the Mummy guy does a thing, unleashes Underworld
>Elspeth comes back as a BW walker or creature
>plot plot plot plot
>Theros probably ruined like Innistrad or Zendikar
>Jace/Gideon/Liliana recruit the five into the Gatewatch
>Walkers fuck off after everything's done

That doesn't make it shit taste though.

>GRUUL CLANS AIN'T NUTHIN' TO FUCK WITH

I lost my shit

Gideon has to be there because someone has to represent the Gatewatch and he's a native. Ajani is still there doing his thing. That's two white Planeswalkers getting cards, which is okay if Ajani goes full WRG. But that fucks over Elspeth; they wouldn't so three White planeswalkers.

So obviously Elspeth is going to replace Heliod as a benevolent White god after he is dethroned.

>Elspeth still has to get revenge on Phyrexia so her story still isn't over, and it can't be till she's finally won.
>Thinking she's gonna win.

>Implying she won't.

If gideon showed his head on theros that would be a catastrophie in and of itself.
He kinda was heliod's bitch boy before elspeth was and KINDA disappeared after attacking erebos

There can be three white walkers in a block, SOI just had it.

One was literally white "Just cause" though

Maro dies and the set is full of legitimate enchantments, rather than creatures with "enchantment" stapled onto their typing.

Phyrexia invades and processes the plane for meat scraps.

Is this really popular opinion? Or are we stuck in an echo chamber? I wonder if there's a way to tell. I know Wizards' marketing team will never admit they're wrong.
I really liked Theros the first go around. Copy some more mythology, print the rest of the God's artifacts, and finish Elspeth's plot, whatever that may be. I hope they don't feel the need for yet ANOTHER plane-wide apocalypse that needs the entire Jacetice League to save the day and attention from the plane.

>why exactly would she then work with Xenagos to get out?
>to get out

But Xenagos is confirmed dead and Dack is already going in to rescue her.

>1 mana Brimaz

Jesus

Oh I don't know, how about GOOD FUCKING ENCHANTMENTS IN THE GODDAMN ENCHANTMENT PLANE

Better definition. Everything in Theros just sort of feels like it's haphazardly thrown together. You can't make a not!sparta deck because there are so few Akroa cards and they don't have great synergy.

It's like that for a lot of things. They need to hammer down the focus, make the existing tribes and factions feel more like they belong, and don't just bank on enchantments to make things interesting.

Though they won't ever do it
>legendary land cycle that adds to your devotion
>an enchantment manland or a land/enchantment hybrid like if they made "nyx" a land that lowered devotion costs or enchantment cmcs
>a playable ashiok
>playable enchantments suitable for major archetypes.
There's enchantment hate out the wazoo in any format, why not push enchantments?

2 of five colors can't fuck with enchantments at all, and another color can only interact with them in a limited capacity. I understand their trepidation when it comes to pushing enchantments.

>Theros
>THE GODDAMN ENCHANTMENT PLANE
But that's wrong

What's the enchantment plane?

This is very true. They need to support the mechanics they make. For instance, right now dilirium and madness have tons of enablers and support in the new Innistrad block. Heroic was all over the place. A bit more support and it'd be a great mechanic.
Don't even get me started on the poor enchantments.

>Return to Mirrodin
>Return to Ravnica
>Return to Zendikar
>Return to Innistrad
>Return to Mirrodin again
>Return to Ravnica again
>Return to Theros
>The Jacetice League solves all the problems

The future sure does look bleak.

I would like to see a set of lands that become enchantments while they are tapped, bestowing various global effects based on the color they can produce.

There is none. There has not been an "Enchantments Matter" set. Not at any stage of development.
Listen to MaRo's Drive to Work podcast episodes covering Urza's Saga, and the one covering Theros.

You look me in the eye and tell me that doesn't expand mana pool

Yeah. I think that's part of the issue with Theros. It had a lot of mechanics, but pretty much all of them were 5 color mechanics with a slight focus in one of the colors.

Not to mention having 15 different gods with all of their followers. Mechanically it was a mess of things just scattered everywhere, which is really poor for flavor. Combine that with a rather low powerlevel, and the result is just a bunch of bland meaningless cards.

That would be cool
Only black cannot in any capacity interact with enchantments. Im sure development can find some way, they managed to claim temur is somehow blue and not just green/red so they can do just about anything

No stupid ass scry spells were its a just a crappier version of a previous card with scry 1 attached to it for 1 or 2 mana.

>nearly all things had scry 1, any with a bigger scry amount was either a reprint or cost infinite mana
>other sets have had scry 4
Fuck

>expected Mirrodin 2.0: Enchantment Edition
>received Kamigawa 2.0: Pop Culture Edition

J U S T

I mean, red gets Chaos Warp you can argue, but it's really rough beyond using expensive artifacts like O. Stone.

Red could be given stuff like Aura Barbs or Shunt. Things that care about Enchantments and will punish the use of them, or tricky ways of redirecting them at the opponent. Black could potentially be given the former as well.

Good cards.
Better flavor. Lorwyn took Celtic myth and spun something flavorful out of it. Kamigawa took Japanese culture and ran wild with it. Theros took Greek mythology and did jack shit with it.

They tried to do something with the Theriad or whatever, but all that meant was that flavortext that could have been used to describe the world was using to showcase portions of a story that doesn't exist in full.

You have to be careful with scrying. Scrying is really powerful. Scry 1 is pretty good, but scry 2 is insanely good. That's six different options for how to stack your deck, that's great card advantage. My head can't even math to figure out how many there are for higher numbers.

The issue with theros is that they just took the shit that the normies would know about and added NOTHING to it. They didn't try to explore at all, just have to keep it 100% safe and sterile
X*(X+1) is the formula for scry options

>She ascends to Godhood with the exahltations of many, becomes the new White God.
>Reigns the rest in, brings matriarchal "peace" across Theros, Ajani finds peace again.
>Ajani joins Gatewatch as casual member.

I liked it until these,user. WotC should hire you to write Magic background.

That was more "what I would expect them to do" than a "what I'd like", also it's hardly impressive that's middle of the road extrapolation from where they left it.

Nahiri was white at the beginning

elspeth's revenge quest to kill heliod in a sword fight, but she must fight all the rest of the gods first for killing her husbandu and ruining her wedding.

erebos has a small army of martial returned, who elspeth has to fight before reaching him.

nissa has settled down, and had little centaur children, but still will kill the fuck out of elspeth.

purphuros has essentially retired, and is living in anonymity, but will still fight elspeth, but fight her dirty.

thassa is still completely loyal to heliod, and is still running crazy errands for him, although ends up being more violent than is necessary.

can easily be split in to two sets.

*nylea, not nissa

fuck that elf pol pot

They are preparing for the end of MtG.
The Jacestice League revisits all planes we have seen and solves all problems and kills all bad guys and everyone lived happily ever after.

Someone(possibly Ashiok) has caused disturbances that creates tension between the gods which escalate into full blown war.

The barriers to Nyx weakens because of this which leads to the conflict bleeding into the mortal realm with the worshippers fighting eachother and everyone else being caught in the crossfire.

Ajani and his fedora tippers tries their best save the innocent while the Gatewatch tries to fix the problem. Kruphix acts as their quest giver.

The Gatewatch at some point goes on a quest into the Underworld to return Elspeth to life (maybe they meet Xenagos there?).

Or Erebos has turned her into his undead divine champion which they(or atleast Ajani) has to fight at some point.

New variations of the God cards, hopefully with a lore accurate Pharika this time.

>Gives her life to kill someone
>Would clearly help him get back to life in order to get back herself

???

Good minotaurs

>Almost a copy of Theros except for three changes
>All rares cost 1 more
>All mythics cost 2 more
>All jacetice league!
ftfy

She didn't give her life to kill Xenagos. She got betrayed and killed by Heliod after successfully killing Xenagos.

She made a deal with Erebos. Heliod was collecting on it.

Read the damn books.

good enchantments/enchantment creatures.

Heliod killed her because she was a planeswalker and had known and seen things he couldn't even begin to dream of. It wasn't just a "oh, sorry 'bout this but you made a deal", he killed her because she was better than him.

How about you read the damn books.

>focus on Gideon and to a lesser extent Ajani
>war between mortals and gods
>some of the gods side with Heliod, others stay out of this, maybe there are still others who do something else entirely...
>mortals aren't well organized mainly because they still don't like each other very much until Gideon takes things into his hand and Ajani becomes his right hand man
>card flavor is mortal creatures vs god/Nyx/enchantment creatures
>Heliod finds out that his former champion who disappeared many years ago is back and not only that but he's leading the mortals against the gods. he's angry and wants Gideon dead. creates a mighty creature (like Erebos's Titan but Heliod's version) to kill Gideon or bring him to him and kill other mortals.
>epic battle between the two, Gideon fights well and evades all attacks or makes himself indestructible. Heliod's Titan lands a heavy surprise hit and Gideon gets pummeled to the ground hard. he is visibly battrered and with all his might tries to keep his indestructibility up while the titan lands blow after blow on him.

>1/2

>Ajani suddenly appears and uses his magic to give Gideon strength again. he feels strong like never before, as if he could lift mountains.
>the tables turn and Gideon easily gains the upperhand. fueled by Ajani's support magic he beats Heliod's Titan in epic fashion.
>Gideon thanks Ajani dearly for intervening in the fight and laughs about his timing. They bromance a bit before Ajani gets more serious.
>Ajani tells Gideon he came to him for another reason and asks him if he can leave in order to look for, and save, Elspeth. a dear friend of his who was unjustly killed by Heliod
>Gideon wishes him the best of luck and hopes to see him again
>the mortals push all the Nyx creatures back and Heliod panicks
>being paranoid as fuck about the gods that have sworn loyalty to him, he eliminates them and absorbs their power, finally to appear on the battlefield himself
>his presence alone spawns more and more Nyx creatures which the mortal armies battle, but the real battle is between Heliod and Gideon
>they talk, Gideon tells Heliod what he's doing is wrong, that he's a power hungry murderer.
>Heliod seems to not even listen to what Gideon is talking about and gets mad as he brings up how his trusted champion for whom he felt pride betryed him.
>Gideon retorts that mortals aren't his to play with. they have their own lives and Heliod has no right to intervene let alone kill people just because he can and feels like it
>Heliod screams I HAVE EVERY RIGHT! I AM HELIOD, GOD OF THE GODS, GOD OF THE MORTALS! YOUR HAVE BETRAYED ME AND YOUR PUNISHMENT IS DEATH! as he throws his glowing sun spear with immense powerat Gideon
>webm related plays out except now Gideon is Heliod and Erebos is Gideon. Gideon doesn't become indestructible but instead fuels all his magic into his whip blades and makes the same move as Erebos
>Gideon, God Slayer
>Heliod, lil bitch

>2/2

>I wonder if there's a way to tell. I know Wizards' marketing team will never admit they're wrong
They will admit a mistake once they're not trying to sell it anymore. Remember that Wizards are working several years in advance. If the reception is incredibly poor to a major shift like focus on the Gatewatch then they can't get rid off it immediately, but in the meantime they have to pretend like there's nothing wrong.

>Elspeth still has to get revenge on Phyrexia so her story still isn't over, and it can't be till she's finally won.
You know, since she's dead, that thing that keeps planeswalkers from getting Phyrexian'd no longer applies to her. If New Phyrexia invaded Theros, she would probably end up being reanimated as one of them.

>Nissa not being right about removing eldrazi for reasonsbly ever

That could make for an interesting story arc.

Particularly if it ended with Elspeth killing everyone's favorite porcelain waifu and taking control of Phyrexia, reforming it into something less stupidly evil. The butthurt from Elesh Norn fanboys would be glorious.

>pssh, nothing personnel, kid

>reforming it into something less stupidly evil.

That's pretty stupid.

Where's that webm from?

Magic Duels. It says it on the window.

>shilling
fag

Ángel planeswalker

>shit taste: the post
I don't even care about norn but your ideas are bad and you should feel bad

>Elspeth, Angel of [something]

Could be fun.

>mfw she's Mardu

I want the Eldrazi, Phyrexians and Nicol Bolas all show up on Theros, and have an apocalypse fight to the death with all the Gods.

And maybe Ashiok uses the planeswalkers nightmares to bring back every dead character to add to the apocalypse fest even more as enchantment creatures.

Kruphix starts having a mental breakdown.

IDK Gatewatch seems fine minus Jace. I think everyone hates Jace more than anything because he has no likable qualities/qualities they keep changing to shove him around.

Like shouldn't he be on Ravnica being the guildpact or dealing with Bolas or something?

Chandra setting everything on fire = Fine.
Gideon being awesome = sure, he's a bro
Nissa being a racist elf = yes nissa is a racist elf
Lilianna = oh god don't turn into Jace 2.0
Jace = fuck off

I disagree. I like Jace. He doesn't need seven different Walker cards, but he's still an alright character. I really and truly hate the rest of the Gay Twats though.
They're so utterly predictable. Wow the red one is a saucy firebrand. The black one is a cunt. The white one is a boy scout. The green one is a elf that gets wet thinking about leaves. Zero subversion or depth to any of them. They've actually erased some character traits just to make them more vanilla. Awful. The other walkers are so much better, shame they'll always be background characters now.

>reforming it into something less stupidly evil
I was with you until that part. What's the point of Phyrexia if it's not evil?

I like Gideon because he's at least interacting with the rest of the world where as Chandra just burns everything, Liliana comes out of a cabin in the woods and does black stuff, Nissa does plant things or talks to a tree that has no relevance in the story, and then Jace finds who the main character of the set is a relentlessly stalks them.

Gideon at least talks to a couple people, goes "Oh hey my bros" and then punches whatever's attacking them.

Nobody likes Nissa because she fucked up hard and nobody seems to care about blaming her or making her account for it. She releases the Eldrazi and then says to herself "I will make Sorin will pay for this, it's his fault".

To me Gideon is like Captain America. Didn't like CA during the first Captain America movie and really didn't like him during the first Avengers movie, but Winter Soldier gave us a completely different side of him that's still totally within his character and abilities. That's when cap became my favorite Marvel character. He was a good guy with strong principles and a strong character but he wasn't boring like he was to me before.
I felt like Gideon was boring and boy scoutish and just dull, but then some of his stories came out and I read them and he reminded me a lot of Captain America. Since then he's been my favorite Gatewatch member. He works with people, he is a leader without being too dominant, he is powerful but not powerful enough that he can do any and everything alone, he understands (now) how important it is to have allies you can rely on. He's had an interesting development.

I think he is the most natural feeling and well-rounded planeswalker at the moment.

Monstrous is in both sets and costed more aggressively, have constellation actually do something. Ditch inspired and make Tribute actually have a reason to pay instead of just "lol now it has haste prepare to get wrecked :^)"