How viable is a hamburger sandwich in your setting of choice?

How viable is a hamburger sandwich in your setting of choice?
I'd like an NPC in a game I'm running (D&D 5e, middle age fantasy setting) to trumpet the burger as his meal of choice, but just what would be necessary for someone to be able to make burgers not just in town but on the go?
>rolls
Can be carried with supplies.
>beef
Would spoil fairly quickly I'd imagine, and grinding beast or monster meat would require a grinder, so it'd be more like a steak sandwich. Salted/preserved beef would just be jerky, right?
>tomato
Would last longer than beef, but somewhat fragile.
>lettuce
Takes up a lot of room and would spoil about as fast as tomato, I'd think.

There's also the option of cheese and various other toppings/sauces, but let's keep it simple.

Also it'd probably require paper or something to hold if on the move, like the leaf for lembas bread. The character would be a knight, so he might be able to afford a personalized cloth burger wrapper.

Your thoughts, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0ucCQ63S5g8
dukesmeats.com/2014/06/eat-like-mongol-making-jerky-horseback/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Honestly, it depends on where you are. The elves have the bread that would last, as well as the greens and cheeses. However, they're vegetarians, so you'd get a shit burger.

The humans would love them but making ground beef last as well as greens would be a nightmare for them.

The dwarfs don't bother, because fuck leaving the mountain homes.

There is a resturant called "The Genuine Burger" which makes it's money by having a ranch back on Earth where they especially raise cows to eventually be slaughtered for their meat in a time where lab grown meat products and meat substitutes have taken off.

While the other vegetables and fruits can be grown on what is essentially an entire city scape given over to massive farming production it's not quite ready to handle livestock to feed the various martian cities .

You can't have fast food without refrigeration, mass production, relatively fast long distance transportation, and, given that one of the selling points of McDonald's, Starbuck's, etc., is consistency from city to city, you'd probably need some sort of mass media too.

Given the level of magic available in the typical D&D setting, none of this is out of the question.

Well not fast food, just burgers in general and being able to eat one on the go.

Burger =/= fast food. Go eat a REAL burger for once in your life.

create food spell, gentle repose, cabinet of preservations, ring gates, etc.

Denny's & Red Robin, although higher end, are certainly fast food, and honestly not *that* much better than Jack-in-the-Box or Wendy's. Beyond that, all you're actually paying for is hipster cred.

My point about technology still stands.

The mongols were eating ground beef as far back as the 11th century, they were a nomadic people on top of that.
The idea of someone eating a modern hamburger is not out of the question even slightly, no matter the setting.

>implying you need anything but knives and to properly salt you meat before hand

youtube.com/watch?v=0ucCQ63S5g8

dukesmeats.com/2014/06/eat-like-mongol-making-jerky-horseback/

>a hamburger sandwich
Who calls them this?

Because in the country of the burger, hamburkistan (otherwise known as 'Merica), we just call them burgers.

Mate, get yourself some minced beef, form it into a patty, cook it, add a slice of strong cheese, some lettuce and mild onion, put it on some good bread, add sauces to preference.

Better than any cheap-ass burger joint you can name.

In the event that someone confuses or pulls some nonsense where they think or pretend that I meant hamburger steak.

So I'm getting some reactions that say it's plausible in general, but what would a single adventurer need to be able to do this on the go? Like, making burgers in a dungeon.

You put way too much credit in the hands of random Veeky Forums users.

You expect half these fucks to be able to use a stove when a few of them are storing 2 liter bottles of cum in their freezers.

> American burger joints

You guys really, really don't know how to make good burgers despite your love of them.

No one holds fast food as the pinnacle of food here.

You guys really, really don't know other nation as much as you love to point out their flaws.

>kobold story
If they stole one, I guess, but the town's got more pigs and goats than cows. Maybe they could make a mushroom burger, if they could figure out how to make bread.

You've got a fast food restaurant in mind.
We're talking about a roadside shack that uses meat and cheese.

That user called Denny and Red Robin a higher end source for hamburgers.

He set the standards at 'shitty fast food joints' and acted like it was the gold standard.

It's okay to recognize that other countries have eclipsed you in one of your few culinary inventions.

>tfw I can cook decently
>but my older brother can't do more than a grilled cheese

how_to_blunt_knives_in_33_seconds.mp4

Oh, it is this again. Every food thread, some shits who believes they are the first to invent not bread, but the right bread and all you other nations can fuck off, especially the americans am i rioght?

Go on, go and make your wonderful food. Off you go to make the world a better place.

>I've never actually cooked before the post

>The Mongols didn’t have access to many spices
>reinvent the silk road
>span from japan to poland and russia to india
>be the reason europe had pepper, giner, cinnamon, nutmeg
>still don't have access to spices
fucking Ögedei ruining everything

a patty melt has no lettuce nor tomato, but onion and (occasionally) mushroom. neither are that hard to keep.

technically, at any point a culture is able to make sausage using ground meat, they should be able to make hamburger.

but honestly, i don't see it really taking off at any point that does not have refrigeration, as you would basically have to cook it to death to avoid any food-borne illnesses.

i think your best bet would be some sort of barbecue, like brisket or pork shoulder/belly. the cooking unit can be essentially a drawn cart (as many large barbecues are) and can be set up virtually anywhere. also, you could theoretically bake bread in it as well.

it's less americans in general, but the current generation that knows literally jack shit about food and cooking.

i always go 80/20 for my burgers. no stupid fillings or seasonings, just sea salt and fresh ground black pepper on both sides before grilling or cooking on the stove.

but he is right. no honing steel in the world will repair the abuse those knives have taken. they are not meant to be fucking drumsticks.

not that it matters, they look like some chicago cutlery horseshit.

People have been mincing meat this way for hundreds of years faggot