>Space Marines: Alien
>Chaos: Nemesis the Warlock
>Eldar: Lord of the Rings
>Orkz: Lord of the Rings
>Dark Eldar: Lord of the Rings, basically
>Tyranids: Alien
>Tau: Animu
>Necrons: Terminator
So now that we've established that every 40K faction is based on something cool during the 80s, why is there no Predator faction?

>What are Kroot

I say the Space Marines are more Starship Troopers. Then again the Dreadknight's abit Power Loader-ish.

Because Predator sucks.

Steek around.

they're book starship troopers combined with sardaukar and a bit of colonial marines

Thematically the guard are USCM to the bone, but space hulk is straight up alien.

>why is there no Predator faction?
because you never played Necromunda. Hive Spyrers are literally the predator faction, hunting scum in the underhive for sport.

Slight correction: Predator II sucked.
Hard.

Let me tell you why your theories are shit:

>>Imperium: Dune
Literally Tolkien IN SPAAACE. Dune is barely readable. Fuck this meme.

>>Adeptus Mechanicus: Foundation
>>Rogue Traders: Foundation
Literally just engineers/ pirates IN SPAAACE. Foundation was barely readable - and I'm an Asimov fan.

>>Inquisition: Solomon Kane
Who? Literally the historical Spanish Inquisition IN SPAAACE.

>>Space Marines: Alien
No, medieval knights IN SPAAACE. Pre-nid Stealers were xenomorphs.

>>Chaos: Nemesis the Warlock
WTF? Literally "black" knights.

>>Lord of the Rings
Well, duh. 40k is FB IN SPAAACE, and FB is [was] Not!Tolkien: The Trademarking.

In the 80s/90s, players were encouraged to theme their armies. The studio shit we saw in WD was exemplary, not definitive. An army based on Big Trouble, Buckaroo Banzai and Remo Williams was not only possible, but welcomed. Iirc, SH rules for Spyrers vs Stealers existed in the era before GW lost its mind and tried to run the business with tardstrength(tm).

>mfw i googled Nemesis the Warlock

ohhh, this is nice

Mmn...

>Imperium: Dune, Nazi Germany, WWII-era USSR
>Adeptus Mechanicus: Foundation
>Rogue Traders: Foundation
>Inquisition: Solomon Kane
>Space Marines: Starship Troopers
>Imperial Guard: Aliens
>Chaos: A number of different 2000 AD comic stories
>Eldar: Lord of the Rings
>Orks: Actually do not strongly resemble anything Tolkien ever wrote.
>Dark Eldar: Hellraiser
>Tyranids: Starship Troopers, and while they inspired the Zerg, they have since themselves been inspired by the Zerg. Fiction is incestuous like that sometimes.
>Tau: Anime
>Necrons: Terminator

Kroot. Also Tau aren't anime. They're more mechwarrior. Just compare a Gundam, Gunbuster or Getter Machine. I wish that the Tau could field a totally not Shin Getter Robo, but they're not cool enough to do so.

>Dune is barely readable

Fuck off.
It becomes a more relevant sci fi fantasy book with each passing day.

>Solomon Kane
>Who?
Pulp fantasy character, 16th-17th Puritan who dedicates himself to fighting and slaying evil in all its formed. Created by Robert E. Howard. Runs into a lot of evil spirits and perfectly mundane assholes. He's not quite as well known as Conan, but he's still pretty boss.

I don't think he's an inspiration for 40K at all. He's puritan, not space catholic, and he's far less assholish than any inquisitor I've heard of.

>Dark Eldar: Lord of the Rings, basically
>Not Melnibone IN SPACE
Seriously, user, look up Elric's backstory and compare it with Malus Darkblade and the Dark Elves of WHFB (and Castellan Crowe and Fulgrim while you're at it).

Striking scorpions are predator

lol, user has limited reading library/reference pool.

I found first two books to be good but it got worse and harder to read as the series continued.

The fact I was 16-17 at the time may have something to do with that, though....

I am Kroot!

dune is very easily readable. granted i only read the first one and haven't heard much good about the sequels

It actually has even more of a contribution to 40k than OP implies.

>imperium is USSR
>Tau are not

I have no idea of what resemblance you saw between Dune and Tolkien. Tolkien wrote a christian-themed faux-pagan world. His stories mimic the structure of myths and ancient literature, heck, one of the distinctive traits of LotR is that it changes its style almost every fucking chapter to match with a different type of story. Herbert wrote a highly secular sci-fi world that was still vaguely inspired by Western idealizations about the Middle East with politics being a meld of the ottoman empire and the cold war

Warhammer is also absolutely nothing like Tolkien unless you're an incredibly shallow reader who gets caught up in some races being called the same. Oh wait

>technologically adept warriors from the east
>Gigantic Empire bearing down on them from the west
>Subplot of hotheaded hotshot robot pilot fighting against the secretly dystopian government
>Mecha
>Anything but Anime: the faction

Well, Tolkien invented modern elves, so there's that. Also orcs, though his orcs and warhammer orcs share only the name.

Fuuuck you, user!

You're all wrong. 40K factions are based on enemies of the United States.
>Imperium: Nazis (obvious)
>Chaos: Confederacy (traitors who broke away to do something evil)
>Eldar: British Empire (once great empire reduced to bitching a lot)
>Orkz: Terrorists (disorganized idiots sometimes united by a charismatic leader for a few years)
>Necrons: Japan (ancient enemy reawakened)
>Tyranids: Mexico (endless hordes)
>Tau: USSR (communism)

Nigga Games Workshop is British
Why the fuck would they base their shit on enemies of the USA
>Imperium: Nazis, this is true
>Orkz: Football hooligans
>Eldar: Europeans
>Chaos: Already from Fantasy
And the rest came after it was originally made and therefore aren't from fantasy or based off of people Britbongs dislike.
>Necrons: Egyptian skeleton robots because GeeDubs thought it was cool
>Tyranids: The Zerg, just another consequence of the eternal dick-measuring contest between GeeDubs and Blizzard
>Tau: Anime

Necrons are clearly the Terminator. They look just like his skeletal form and have an ability named I'll Be Back.

>Tyranids based on Zerg

>Tyranids: The Zerg

Is this bait?

>he doesnt know that warhammer 40k was made before starkuck
I really hope your baiting

Think he is referring to the fact that recent tyranids took some inspiration from zerg, or so a lot of people claim, I still maintain they are different enough

Striking Scorpions.

Srsly, do you kids ever read?

HOW.

Space Marines are Sardukar Mobile Infantry 2000AD extreme Colonial Marines.

Imperial Army/Guard were an attempt to put the Colonial Marines bit into the foreground. Just like Arbites were an attempt to put the 2000AD Judge Dredd influence into the foreground.

Dune is far more readable than LOTR.

And I'm very confused how you can consider Imperium = Dune a "meme", which I guess means an untruth people spout as fact because they saw other people spouting it? Early 40k literally quoted Dune word for word but attributed it to in-universe characters. The Sisters explicitly began as a Dune reference. The whole thing about the prescient God-Emperor is straight outta Dune. Lasguns are a weapon from Dune!

Truth, it's far more Melnibone.

Weren't several of the original elf models just Elric models that were repurposed when GW lost the license? Much like the arbites/Dredd models.

Go kill yourself

I'm a fan of both and I'd say they're both similar in having incredibly dry prose. Dune's get worse over time though, while LotR is pretty consistent as it wasn't even supposed to be a trilogy. I quit the series after trying to read God-Emperor for the first time, to only go back a few months later because I had nothing better to do.

Tolkien also doesn't try to shove catholicism down your throat while the whole first half of God-Emperor is Herbert going on a tirade about his weird ideology

>Space Marines: Alien
wat

Nemesis is the primary inspiration for the entire grimdark/goth look of 40K.

Terminators
Inquisition
Dead emperor tied to technology to survive.
"Cleanse and Purify" anti-xenos hysteria
Hive cities
Legions of bureaucrats and scribes

... and more. It's worth a read.

It can't be an inspiration as they both started at about the same time. They shared a lot of artist and writers, which is more likely to be the culprit