How would a warrior culture even reach a space age? How could they unify long enough to reach space age technology...

How would a warrior culture even reach a space age? How could they unify long enough to reach space age technology? If they unified, thwy can't be a warrior culture, and they'd need a decent amount of time unified to reach space age tech. Over that time, wouldn't they just stop being a warrior culture?

>they'd need a decent amount of time unified to reach space age tech.

Which is why Earth had one-world-government and Nigeria mattered in 1930.

Oh wait.

>Kick all the asses on home planet
>Desire to kick ass forces them to look towards the stars
>RIP AND TEAR their way to space in a glorious desire to destroy everyone else

Yeah but we're talking moon travel vs FTL

Yeah but I feel like after a hundred or so years of unification, people would be like "huh. War ain't so great after all" and forget their traditions

But, what if the opposite happened, everyone *agrees* that war is awesome and that is what unifies them?

fucking hippy

They espouse martial virtues: honor, strength, cunning, adaptability, and esprit de corps.

However, not everyone can be a soldier, so they take the best, and support them with the rest of their population. Those who cannot be soldiers find honored, if lesser roles in society by contributing to the effectiveness of the warriors whether that be through science, invention, logistics, trade, construction, teaching, or what have you.

Even those who are not officially a part of the warrior caste are trained to fight, to use tactics effectively and decisively. They act as both citizens, a reserve, and auxiliary as the situation demands.

A warrior culture is more than simply one made up of soldiers or warriors. They are a society that holds martial virtues as the highest, and their society revolves around a sort of hero-worship of the warrior caste and great warriors both living and dead.

They don't need to be braindead "Proud Warrior Race" tropes.

This

They don't need to have unified their planet to get FTL user. But chances are once they have that tech they might end up being the defacto top dog on the planet, and get to decide which cultures are allowed to have colonies and where.

Human history, at least those parts of it we have decent records of, include multiple wars every year and rarely fewer than a hundred countries existing (at least for so long as "countries" have been a thing).

What, supposedly, is so magic about FTL that it can't be discovered the same way as every other invention since the stirrup?

>Earth
>warrior culture
We're culture of hedonists first and foremost.

Shakara!

Warrior culture as compared to what? Which possible cultures are you speaking in terms of? For example, if I want to smack OP for being a faggot, does that make me part of a warrior culture?

I wasn't arguing that Earth is a warrior culture, I was arguing that unification is completely fucking irrelevant. You might have noticed this if you looked at which part of the post I was quoting.

>warrior culture
>space age

White people, user. Warrior cultures are the first to reach space.

ITT OP exposes himself as having zero knowledge of the history of human warfare or the development of space travel on Earth.
Nice try, Zorblax but a human poster would be vaguely aware of these things.

Humans are by far a warrior culture.

We have other aspects, but we fight, and we fight well.

I mean, that's sort of the case in point with the Mandalorians. The culture has an ebb and tide of imperial ambition and power. They go from have systems-worth of territory to just being backwater, and then back again, with each influx depending on how successful the Mandalore is.

I feel like most people don't really see that. Over the course of the history of fiction involving them, they've gone through significant political and social evolution, which is why you have friction between the moderates and people like the Death Watch.

On a more general note, you can come up with any reason for warrior cultures to reach a space age. It doesn't always have to be successfully thriving, i.e. the Brutes, or the Krogan, who both devolve into self-destructive nuclear warfare.

Clearly we should be applying the three-class system:

Warrior culture, rogue culture, sorcerer culture.

Warrior cultures value strength and honor.
Rogue cultures value stealth and trickery.
Sorcerer cultures value charisma and setting people on fire.

You know, I don't think any of these are going to have a particular advantage over the others in developing FTL.

>How could they unify long enough to reach space age technology

Unification retards progress, diversity and competition encourages it.

As a non-westerner I find hedonism disgusting and self-destructive on several levels. It's even something that's admitted by a lot of western psychology.

Morats represent.

Really, there are a ton of ways to do it, you just have to think farther than "I hit it with my sword".

CLANNER PLEASE GO

They have a caste system in place. The scientists are essentially slaves.

What I'm confused about is how the hell the Yautja got into space. Their entire culture is based around small clans and the hunt, basically what we had in our hunter gatherer days, yet they have highly advanced composite materials, plasma generators, handheld nukes, and FTL.

Hit post accidentally, woops.

You make a lot of assumptions, the United States managed it just fine, a culture literally built off the premise of "if the people hate their leaders enough they should kill them, and also everyone should have a gun."

Americans are basically stereotypical Barbarians with semi-automatic rifles instead of two-handed axes.

Depends if your cultural values are constantly telling you hedonism is bad on one hand and pushing you inexorably towards it with the other.

If people weren't taught from early childhood that seeking pleasure is evil it wouldn't cause cognitive dissonance.

They got tired of fighting each other, and decided to FIGHT SPACE

>moderates
They're shit and should be executed.

My Red-Brother

>You make a lot of assumptions, the United States managed it just fine, a culture literally built off the premise of "if the people hate their leaders enough they should kill them, and also everyone should have a gun."

But that's fucking retarded. That whole idea died after the Civil War, to the extent that it was ever true to begin with.

This is pretty comprehensive. Or they have a national service set up and everybody has served in the armed forces as a soldier. It is in this crucible that they learn the honor, strength and espirit de corp that will be hallmarks of their race.

You are an idiot.

>Planets can't have multiple cultures and races that compete til there's just one
>Warriors cannot ally themselves for the goal of going to space and finding more glory in galactic conquest

Friendly reminder that before all the Mandalorians were humans (and always humans, thanks retcons), they were a bunch of predator-esque monkey freak shows that got deep sixed by humans. And then after that happened they were a multi-racial nomadic tribe that liked killing shit for honor who eventually SETTLED on Mandalore, because even those monkeys were originally from Coruscant.

Make me, freebirth.

So the Turians?

>Yeah but I feel like after a hundred or so years of unification, people would be like "huh. War ain't so great after all" and forget their traditions
>"unification"
If anything, being under the thumb of an oppressive government for an entire century would only make them even more pissed off.

Put an enemy on their moon.
Once they figure out there's things to fight out in the great beyond, sky's the limit, son.

But user, if the sky were the limit they could never get into the great beyond.

I don't know what they've given as far as canon for the Yautja in the comics, but that's easily explained one of two ways. A civilization in decline where there is little in the way of mass manufacture and R&D. They've reached peak decadence, where there is nothing really left to occupy them but bloodsports and they're relying on the output of a minority who still give a shit for their civilization to continue. The other is that they've reached post-scarcity and post-Singularity. They're basically the pampered children of AI caretakers playing primitive.

The Blacks are a warrior culture.

They tend to an hedonistic culture in nearly all Africa, not a warrior one. Elites hog women and resources to flaunt them not to improve the military for acquiring more or defense, bend over for those to other polities while selling everything to get the mentioned things and only to get them they go to war if they tribe isn't the one hogging the resources. Heck, they even sell they own if it makes them a quick buck, like in the atlantic slave trade or Pimping they women in a very ineficient way. What determines lots of they cultures is more about shortsightnes, bread for today and fuck tomorrow. The massai, hausa, fulani and the Ethiopians, and north Sudan (tough the later two I wouldn't say are black cultures) could be called warrior cultures tough.

>fuck off israel

Common enemy brotein shake. Convince the other leaders if they band together for space age it would open up plenty of opportunities for wealth fighting and space poon

Not common enemy common interest my bad

>what is english idiom

>what is comedy