There was an awesome thread here on Saturday about Stranger Things, the new Netflix weird retro-80s horror show...

There was an awesome thread here on Saturday about Stranger Things, the new Netflix weird retro-80s horror show, but I missed most of it and I can't find it in 4plebs.

So...Stranger Things. Awesome SCP/Delta Green show, or bad 80s nostalgia?

Would you play as the Cop or the Kids? Would DG be better or Monsters & Other Childish Things?

Also, best new cutewaifu since GOTS season 6.

Other urls found in this thread:

forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/The_Vale_of_Shadows
youtube.com/watch?v=iFngvcZQtWo
slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/09/21/black_mirror_piggate_5_times_black_mirror_was_scarily_accurate.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ozIuALM7wYk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well, I tried anyway.
Awesome 80s nostalgia, no bad SCP wank.

MaOCT could work nicely. But I'd use Nemesis and just crib the stats and relationship track from MaOCT. That sheet is fine! But I'd like some UA madness.

The story needs work. Some parts are great for roleplaying, but there are issues. I'd want the entire story to unfold around the party, not a sister whose adventures they only hear about before the showdown. The third act is too simple for gaming, And I'd want a new mystery anyway, something that the show didn't spoil.

>MaOCT
Pardon, but what is this you're referring to?

>Well, I tried anyway.
> →

I was referring to a different thread, much longer. Maybe it had a different name or something.

Monsters and Other Childish Things, as mentioned above.

>an awesome thread

mkay?

>retro-80s

Sigh.

In 30 years some kid will complain about your millennial childhood nostalgia, completely ignoring how any redeeming quality of their favorite show would have been impossible without its influence.

Good thing I didn't care much for a lot what was on when I was kid.

Is this the Vale of Shadows they refer to in the show?

forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/The_Vale_of_Shadows

The description seems different.

Mix in some Super 8 as needed.

Really the biggest issue overall is to introduce innocent romantic themes but keep them PG and without pervy double meaning.

They make up their own simple cosmology as they go along, much like Donnie Darko.

The kids were well done. Flawed, not too smarmy and prone to fear and mistakes, just like real kids.

Winona is still hot.

So related!

But let's fix that real quick.

Some of these references are great.

It's not just a reference. It's the plot structure. It starts with the game. The game is used to explain the cosmology. And they title the unnamed monster after the BBEG from the game.

Pick a concept:

>Experiment
+powers -savvy

>Gearhead
+gadgets -cool

>Tough Guy
+fists -temper

>People Person
+empathy -courage

>Tomboy
+savvy -confidence

>Twinky
+indestructible -speed

The science teacher's Acrobat/Flea is used to describe the cosmology and travel therein.

Can we talk about how their science teacher is literally the most over qualified fucker to ever live?

The guy understood multidimensional theory and knew how to make a sensory deprivation chamber on the spot.

Yup. The next Walter White...except for interdimensional physics.

Can we also talk about how this relates to Beyond the Black Rainbow?

youtube.com/watch?v=iFngvcZQtWo

And then the kid who got that info explains it to his friends deciphering the lost kid's (Will I think) message: The dark side of the game board, the flipside, the underside.

Someone needs to make a gif of when lucas shoots the monster with the slingshot in the last episode.
I need it so I can use it in filename threads.

Shouldn't this be on /tv/ not Veeky Forums?

I bet you hate fun

Just finished the season. Pleasantly surprised that I really liked it.

so is the upside down an alternate reality where that biomass killed everyone, or is it just a reflection of our world?

>captcha: select all bicycles
appropriate

It is a mirror. It is derived from our world. There are abandoned houses there, the same houses like on our side. Nobody built them. They're just there.

Speaking of mirrors, does Black Mirror get any better after the first episode? I didn't like that one.

Oooh! Black Mirror is awesome!

Every episode is its own movie basically. Different cast, different world, different issue.

It is a bit overtly contrived. But it does a good job of still making it a dramaturgy, not a lecture. You have to like that analytical perspective though, it's not a show to have on in the background while on the internet.

I love how the pigfucker episode was revealed as actual fact, in a way.

slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/09/21/black_mirror_piggate_5_times_black_mirror_was_scarily_accurate.html

>That ending
>Coroner Arrested For Falsifying Evidence
>Fuckers blamed everything on the CORONER

This like Delta Green the show?

any ideas what the biomass or monster are or where they come from?

also like the prequel to cabin in the woods

>yfw the "Upside Down" is the Ethereal Plane

I meant Shadowfell, sorry.

To bring a little original Twin Peaks into this:

Everything, literally everything is ripe with symbolism. Any names, the town geography, NPC secrets and obsessions, secret economies of money and power, any deaths, and even the weather. The trick is to make some pretty literal and others quite abstract, keep the players guessing.

NPC constellation has a lot to do with this. Every character has reasons for their actions. The phenomenological result may seem strange, even ironic. But if they dig deep enough the party can always discover an inner world where it all makes perfect sense. Only this inner world is concealed by secrets, guilt, and fear. And the outward appearance it creates is off putting.

Now put those secret inner worlds in conflict, and you have a story. Layer it. There are many little secrets (shame), a few big secrets (felonies), and one huge secret nobody even really knows (the root of all evil) but the players can reconstruct by combining clues from different sources.

With the themes of secret government experiments on children with magic powers and another parallel world where powerful evil dwells there's a lot of room for developing an original story and real mysteries.

>

A Sentionaut would have made for a waaaay cooler monster than what they had.

youtube.com/watch?v=ozIuALM7wYk

Also in my head canon Arboria is the idealistic precursor to the program in stranger things. It turned out the research was no good at making mankind more spiritually fulfilled but DID show potential for killing commies. When a door closes a window opens.

well my brother kept telling me to watch this and i was like "meh whatever" but these beyond the black rainbow comparisons are really convincinb me

It's a really REALLY slow movie, if you're not into that it's going to suck hard.

Primarily BtBR is a mood piece. The director had his own ideas in mind when he made it and for better or worse he stuck to his vision. It's almost the sort of thing you have to watch off-handendly or accidentally to get the proper effect. What I'm saying is it's not meant to be approachable.

It's probably the most accessable of the non-approachable movies out there but don't expect the same thing your getting from Stranger Things. They use some similar concepts but are total opposites in terms of style.

But if you want something steady and slightly psychedelic and if old-school parapsychological experiments get you all hot and bothered, you can't go wrong.

OH SORRY
i meant i've seen beyond the black rainbow, and my brother kept trying to get me to watch this show (stranger things)!
your review is scaring me a bit but i'll still give episode one a shot.
i love beyond the black rainbow.

Well it's worth a go.
It's one of the few 80s nostalgia movies that actually seems to have genuine care put into. It's pretty much a Spielberg film from that period in a miniseries format. The story isn't anything new but it's presented very well. The acting, direction, visuals and sound are all excellent.
It's kind of a charming snack compared Rainbow's heady, appalachian meat'n'whisky stew

Personally I like Black Rainbow and Stranger Things but for completely different reasons.

Although neither are particularly concerned with plot and both are trying to evoke a certain state of mind more than anything. Two totally different states of mind but still...

I guess the best audience to cross over between the two is the one that likes to to be dunked in a bucket of feelings and ideas. The only difference is one bucket is full of warm salt water and the other with black mystery goo.

The audience who would definitely hate both would be the one that wants to be delivered a story. One will seem rehashed and the thin.

Nice post, man. Question: Is there a book that helps people out in making lynchian worlds?

Ask YT?

>viral marketing won't be successful without complete saturation.

Who here /steve/?

In a more general sense, how would you run a supernatural coming of age story al-a Stranger Things, IT, Goonies.
I want to run a MaOCT campaign with similar things but I have DM block.
All the PCs have pet monsters in the setting, maybe every person

Steve's ugly, only fuckable guys in the show are his friend, the diner guy and the kid with no teeth