/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Eye of the Beholder Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old thread
What's your favorite 5e monster?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/755112375313768448
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ded game general

Frankenstein

regarding 'favorite 5e monster' I think I might need to wait until Volo's Guide to Monsters comes out.
Also I might need to read the MM.

Mimics will always be my favorite monster to use. I can't really use them as chests anymore since players will just see it coming a mile away now

People like this think anything with talking animals or animal people is furry fetish crap.

>Werewolves?
Furbait.
>Ducktales?
Furbait.
>Rescue rangers
Furbait.
>Tailspin
Furbait.
>Disney movies
Furbait.
>TMNT
Furbait.
>Thunder cats
Furbait.
>Transformers
Robot Furbait.

Anything you ever liked growing up?
Some kind of fetish furbait fuel.

You can't reason with this kind of loony.

Leave this shit in the old thread you retard

Chests are overrated when they can be
>doors
>tables
>chairs
>statues
>piles of rubble
>piles of treasure in a dragon's hoard
>a meal on a table
>a sword stuck in a stone

lol, ass blasted fourry is mad that his crap game got shelved. kek

Second for this.
Any tips would be taken with gratitude as I don't know much about the investigative processes in the dark ages.
>Trying to avoid the whole inquisitorial aproach of kicking down the door and killing people in the King-, Queen,- and the Empire's name.

This is just pathetic.

>implying that I don't play pathfailure.

Like WotC's release schedule?

One of my players got the sun blade in CoS. Hope she doesn't get ass blasted when Strahd focuses on maiing or killing her and retrieving the sun blade

Zing!

>Like WotC's release schedule?
I mean... yes.
That's actually good one.

How do you homebrew a race?
I like the races they have but there's not enough, and there isn't anything as unanimously good as the Human in PF

Mummy Lord. Perfect example of a monster that demands a campaign built around him.

>How do you homebrew a race?
1. Come up with the fluff.

2. Decide what parts of the fluff are most important to represent in the race.

3. Make the race's mechanics with the existing races as a guide. That is: no negative ability modifiers, nothing that adds a ton of damage to any given build with that race, 25ft speed standard for small/30ft speed standard for medium, and so on.

>WotCs nonexistent release schedule.
>Limited available character options.

This is why I went back to pathfinder. I prefer its problems to 5es problems.

Variant human is pretty unanimously good.

Or like my DM did one, an entire fucking building

Variant Human is damn near identical to the PF human, they just get a +2 to one stat instead of a +1 to two.

What's the best way to control a flesh golem you've crafted?

Best 5e monster design reporting in.

In the DMG there are a few suggestions and an example how to build a race.

I love to build stories around Raskshasa. Pretty interesting creatures - want to eat human flesh, can cast disguise self, are fiends and like fancy closing and so on.

5E > Pathfinder

clothing*

>delay an Unearthed Arcana for two weeks because of a one day holiday
>3 PM and the UA is still nowhere to be seen
It's ridiculous. And it's going to be even more ridiculous when it comes out and it's a DM's Guild review.

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/755112375313768448
>new content - should be up today
An actual UA instead of another showcase? Even if it's delayed that's two months of new UAs in a row. I hope that means they saw how pissed people were at DMs Guild spotlights replacing half of UAs and are going back.

Eh. It's okay.

Both games have their problems.

One of 5es problems is very limited sourcebook variety combined with very limited options in the sourcebooks available.

I consider that a non-problem myself. Having to deal with a thousand different sources for material makes it harder for me both as a DM and a player.

Everyone here does realize that this entire edition is just a holding pattern until the current writers can retire?

>D&D 5e releases core rulebooks with literally the most available options for starting races and classes right out of the gate compared to past editions and pathfinder
>Too limited

Why anyone thinks this is beyond me. Is it too limited compared to a game that has been out for seven years with a fuckton of splat-books? Yeah. If you were to compare someone just getting started and getting the core for each though, D&D 5e takes a massive shit on Pathfinder.

With your penis.

Turn it into a flesh joy-stick.

>one of the four books in my system has more options than one of the twenty books for your system!

They never needed to make this. 4e is superior in every way.

D&D, in general, is kind of a shit system, but it is the most popular so it is easier to get a group for it.

Same thing with Magic the Gathering, really. So many other games, even games with a mage v mage battle system, is better than MtG, but that is all you can reliably find a group for.

Poor b8, m8. Try again next time without posting in such quick succession.

>It's a lot of work to read through a ton of sourcebooks.
Less work if everything is listen indexed and searchable, like d20pfsrd or the offline character builder of 4e.

But yes, it is more work than one book.

But that one book doesn't give me enough variety, as it is now.

I could really go for m&m / GURPS style char gen for 5e. Build your character from scratch, design your own spells using spell design rules.

A single book, giving 5e flexibility it would otherwise take at least half a dozen books to achieve.

It would of course, need to be designed by someone who has a good handle on the balance and numbers of the system.

Not the same guy.
Or even the same argument.

Lel, good one m8.

Is it actually a good burn if everyone agrees with it?

I actually think that the number is so high because there aren't enough people playing the game locally.

Pathfinder society shits up my game store weekly. I don't think they even have 5th edition books.

With your voice?

Maybe put a raven familiar on its shoulder that can command it by mimicking your voice.

>asshole raven familiar sends your flesh golem on a rampage

That's exactly why it's a good burn
5e is very good, but there's 0 content for it

>More options than pathfinder core! It's not fair to compare it to a system with lots of books!

>5e came out in like, august 2014.
>Two years in, and there's fuck all for new books besides adventures, let alone character option supplements.

>Pathfinder came out in 2009.
>by July 2011 it had:
>APG
>Bestiary 2
>Ultimate Magic
And ultimate combat was a month away.
And that's only considering major releases. There were also a bunch of smaller releases and setting books.

But even if it's not fair, people will ask the question "should I play this newer game with no currently available support, or play this other more established game with tons of support?"

My local doesn't sell 5e either.

Dead as in no actual new game books, not as in no players.

More archetypes, more spells, and a class or two every year would be nice.

It's easy to make content when you have an entire edition to plagiarize your shit from.

Well, once you've got the 3 core books there's no reason to go to your lgs for 5e ever again, unless you really want an adventure path

>shadowrun, wod, 40k, and nuSW all at less than 5%.

The masses have no taste.

My local stores sell the Pathfinder core rulebook and no other PF books, but sell all the 5e books and run AL multiple times per week.

It's almost like anecdotes can vary so widely that they're not solid evidence for any one conclusion.

>New pathfinder content was the same as old 3.5 content.
>There was nothing new, or reimagined.
Are you srs?

Besides,
>It's easy to make content when all you have to do is convert stuff from your previous editions.
They just aren't doing it.

I think you mean content creation is easier when things are closer to open source and oppressive licensing doesn't get in the way.

5e actually is fucking great though.

FLGS keeps 5e in a bin under munchkin and the like. Not even with RPG books.

I agree, it's pretty good.

>Alternate 5e character creation system that will build everything from a 5e fighter to any dnd monster to any pathfinder or dnd character to most of the X-Men, and be compatible with 5e adventures and enemies and core mechanics.
Would play.

yeah Paizo is too busy giving us totally new and original classes like the psychic

I'm not saying all their content was good, all I did was point it they actually release content, unlike wotc for 5e.

>Not playing Shadowrun
I don't know, it sounds like they have some taste.

>It would of course, need to be designed by someone who has a good handle on the balance and numbers of the system.

what balance? seriously, the devs don't look at the numbers, the internal math is all over the place

>The internal math of 5e is all over the place.
Really? I thought it's internal math was supposedly fairly well designed, just not quite as consistent as with 4e.

Could your character defeat a warship in single combat?

Whats a good spell list for a first level necromancer-to-be?
She's sun/Moon half-elf, so four cantrips.

First level spells sleep/shield go with everything early.
Minor illusion and a damage cantrip would be my only real rigid suggestions for 0's.

Can I sneak attack the warship? If yes, then probably. An inanimate object would count as unconscious, right?

You cannot sneak attack a thing with no self-awareness. That's like asking if you can sneak attack a tree m8.

>Sorcerer is a shitty wizard with the ability to recast spells plus a bloodline that gives no spells
When would you ever pick Sorcerer over Wizard?

Probably. 5e doesn't seem to offer inanimate objects saving throw scores, so a well placed fireball or two...
>I realize that I am ForeverDM, and that all the other games I've played I'm likely never playing again.
Depends, how many Tarrasques can I throw at it?

Because it fits your character concept.

Also metamagic shenanigans.

Fluff. Also if you're a few-trick pony and like twinning concentration buffs on your allies or casting heightened save-or-suck spells on enemies.

Because the DM won't let you buy any spells (forcing you to rely on the two you get per level,) and because Wild Magic.

Even without inscribing a single non-level granted spell into your spellbook, wizards still get more spells than sorcerers.

Wild magic is the most well designed archetype in 5e currently.

>Wild magic is the most well designed archetype in 5e currently
I don't feel you.

>Okay if your GM hates fun
>The best thing ever if your GM agrees to using the d100 chart for all spell casts

>Summon a Unicorn controlled by the GM for 1 Minute

>So You Want to Raise the Dead: A Spellbook for Aspiring Necromancers

>Chapter 1: The Foundations of Wizardry
>Prestidigitation and Mage Hand are two basic spell that every wizard should keep in his back pocket.
>Necromancy is not always a popular passtime among the lesser peoples, so have Minor Illusion at the ready to create a distraction.
>And of course, the undead are tools. Sometimes those tools need a good whack with arcane power to keep them from maiming you horribly. Chill Touch is wonderful for serving this purpose, and it's just plain spooky.

>Chapter 2: Before the Grave Robbing
>There's a bit more to the art of Necromancy than simply digging up corpses and infusing them with a false semblance of life. You must first understand the basic principles of the energies you're working with. False Life and Ray of Sickness will help you on the way to that understanding.
>If you're serious about becoming a Necromancer, you'll want ways of keeping an eye on your surroundings while at the same time keeping your own identity hidden. For the latter purpose it is recommended that you learn to Disguise Self; for the former Find Familiar.
>And of course, no mage worth his salt would leave his tower without ample defense up his black-robed sleeve. Mage Armor and the ever-reliable Shield should round out your repertoire of 1st level spells.
>The formulae and incantations for all of these spells can be found in Chapter 3.
>Thank you for purchasing this volume. If you find yourself wanting to further your studies on the Black Art, please be on the lookout for our next volume, Ghoulcalling and You: A Spellbook for the Necromancy Novice.

So when are you faggots going to start playing Dungeon World?

> fewer rules
> more character options
> combat flows freely
> uses a better dice mechanic

Well? Why are you still playing 5e?

Because that creates the astronomically-small-but-still-possible chance of me playing in a game with you.

5e doesn't have many rules itself, and I can't think of base rules in 5e that I actually think of as superfluous.

That's ad hominem bullshit. I also play 5e despite the fact that it's an infantile game with severe balance and complexity issues. There is a chance you might end up in a 5e game with me. Thus that "argument" is invalid.

>I also play 5e
See, Virt, this how you really make someone rethink playing 5e.

I never fail to get a group for Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards.

>So when are you faggots going to start playing Dungeon World?
But faggots already do play Dungeon World.

New UA today? YAY!

Personally, and I swear to god this is not a shitpost, I actually PREFER the anaemic release schedule 5e has. Gives me more time between players going "Oh this new class/race looks cool can I retire yet another character and reroll as that?"

Good. Start playing Dungeon World and you will see the kind of role-playing you've been missing out on. Last session my human fighter wrestled a vampire out a window. Can't do that in DnD unless you have enough levels in that class and have to roll 500 checks first.

DnD is shit.

>5e
>severe balance and complexity issues
OH AM I A LAFFIN

I did start playing Dungeon World!
But then I stopped after a few weeks!
Because Dungeon World is absolute fucking trash.
It's just a half-dozen mechanics carved haphazardly off of real games and run through a thesaurus, with no real concept of what a game actually is.

>Anecdotes

But I don't want to play Dungeon World because you play it.

>Dungeon world is good
You're a funny guy. Even if you like apocalypse world (I don't especially) dungeon world is an abomination that mangled it into total garbage.

Though I don't play 5e either due to the lack of content. I just come here to discuss campaigns, pay attention to current releases, and discuss adventures.

Veeky Forums, we really, REALLY need to talk about the recent surge in popularity of "Dungeon World" around here, especially the trend of recommending it as a good system for "introducing" players to our hobby.

I understand that there is an obsession with being subversive and finding the most super specialest alternative to D&D possible, but having finally taken the time to read into Dungeon World and the reasons why this game has caught on around here and other forums I feel the need to be frank: this NEEDS to stop. I try as hard as I can not to be a "badwrongfun" style curmudgeon, but this is not a role playing game. Full stop. This is not a role playing game, and this disingenuous promotion of it as such is legitimately dangerous to this hobby. This is an exercise in self-congratulatory free form group storytelling.

This is a "game" where the danger of literally any challenge is by design arbitrary, not just from encounter to encounter, but from action to action. There's no actual combat or tactics at play, everyone takes turns basically describing a "cool fantasy battle" and resolve everything through "dodge danger" and "hack and slash" rolls triggered at the GM's whim. This is a game proud of being anti-structure, where the goal is to explain to the GM how many cool things your players do instead of actively overcoming any challenges in your way.

It's chaos. Consequences of certain failures are decided collaboratively. The GM is encouraged to be more of an antagonistic player than an actual referee of any rules. At Veeky Forums's suggestion I watched a few videos of people playing this. At one point the *GM* asked the *PLAYERS* what rumors they had heard in town.

I get that the people involved in this game by admission shill it everywhere, but please stop pushing this as a system for beginners. It's dangerous to our hobby and the behaviors it promotes encourages entitled players with disruptive expectations for how parties are meant to work.

Stop.

>Players wanting to reroll when new stuff comes out.
I've never had this happen, with a single exception - an eldritch knight player wanted to switch to magus once magus came out.

>Last session my human fighter wrestled a vampire out a window. Can't do that in DnD
Top kek. You literally have never played D&D, then.

When you want to play a fucking cunt.

Damnit, I thought you left after last time. Still not sure whether or not you're a troll or a devout fanboy for DW.

Troll.
See