Warlike race

>warlike race
>their only tactic is a mindless charge
>inferior technology

that makes no fucking sense the over the top agressive fantasy and SF races are exactly the ones who should strive for technological and tactical advantage as it's ensures victory as opposed to ''hurr being a suicidal tard means I'm honorable''. I wanna see a barbaric race who finds first guns and abuses them

Hobgoblins are what you want.

does it make more sense if you realise that most warlike races are fucking orcs and orcs generally don't have more than 8 int
seriously, they don't lack creativity for no good reason. they're literal fucking slobbering retards that love blood. if you want your technologically advanced warring races then use humans

Humans never are top dogs of technology they are boring as fuck jack of all trades self insert bullshit that only people who are mediocre even in real life play.

>Assuming everything is DnD
This is why Veeky Forums sucks

>never top dogs of tech
>Boring as fuck jack of all trades

Sorry you have no imagination or just fucking suck at storytelling/worldbuilding

>nothing in the post indicates DnD except maybe "8 int" and the statement can be broadly applied to a lot of settings and games but I'll sperg out about DnD being le bad anyway like an eternally triggered bitch user that I am
This is why Veeky Forums sucks

>Warlike race
>extremely powerful battleships and weaponry.
>A technologically comparable race maintains sensor contact at close distance without being spotted because the warlike race is somewhat behind on the sensor and emcon area.

I guess it should be said that despite the Japanese being all "muh honour", they adopted guns pretty quickly during the Sengoku Jidai

>over the top agressive fantasy and SF races are exactly the ones who should strive for technological and tactical advantage

Really? I mean it's the same shit that happens all the time in the real world: The old method works so no one bothers looking for a new one.

Keep mind especially that most fantasy worlds lean heavily toward a medieval/early-modern tech level which aren't hugely better than older weapons technologies. The real power gap between new and old tech levels didn't exist until the rise of the machine gun.

Klingons?

>>warlike race
>>their only tactic is a mindless charge
>>inferior technology
The word you're looking for is "extinct", OP.
For we have the Maxim gun, and they have not.

You're fucking retarded every military successful civilization adapted and changed no one went
>hurr it worked once so let's stick to it forever xD

Isn't there a setting where humans aren't the best at technology as a whole, but are the most warlike and their weapons/military technology is the best in the setting?

I think I might be thinking of either Mass Effect or Sword of the Stars, but I've never played them and only heard of them.

Who the fuck are Klingons? Lmao 70's are over grandpa fuck off with your boring meme shows. Star Wars is better.

That's because everyone who didn't adopt guns got shot by the ones who did. They didn't abandon their "muh honor" attitudes so much as they updated them for the times.

Then some douchebag took everyone's swords and guns away and closed the country.

Mostly because they wanted to make sure Nobunaga stopped trying to fuck them.

You're thinking of a barbarian race.

The warlike races are the ones like hobgoblins, which are fucking fantastic tacticians/strategists/leaders, commanding soldiers who have excellent morale and discipline, with great armour and armoursmithing technology, but basically nothing outside of the purview of military advancement. No agricultural or bureaucratic improvements (Beyond those needed to logistics), little diplomatic tact for trading and alliance, very little personal freedom in society, etc.

Those are the warlike races.

In Sword of the Stars, humans have the second-fastest research with a wide selection of techs, but their biggest strength is mobility and speed on the strategic map. Their ships themselves are rather mediocre until they break out the dreadnoughts which are pretty fearsome.

Can't speak to Mass Effect, but in Sword of the Stars, Humans are

>One of the fastest researchers, second to Space Dolphins and about tied with Space Crows
>Mediocre ships with pretty shitty durability and not great weapon placement, because their engineer was a naval warfarefag so he put all their guns on the sides of their ships, and everyone else just went with it
>Speedy little fucknuggets who crawl around the warp-travel equivalent of express lane freeways that all the other races (except Space Rats) are cucked out of, so they spread throughout the universe faster than fucking weeds
>Because they basically tunnels connecting all their bases even if the bases *seem* to be far apart, it's a pain in the ass fighting them, because you'll get a million ships warping into your central worlds from a thousand light years away, rape everyone, then fuck off, or if you attack them, suddenly you've got fifteen thousand ships beelining from across the galaxy for that one world
>Literally like fighting the Space Vietcong

Literally the Charr. They are the most advanced race in Guild Wars in terms of conventional technology (the most advanced race period use bullshit techno-magic), being pretty much in the middle of an industrial revolution

>The charr are a race of large, savage, feline creatures that occupy much of eastern Tyria. They have renounced all gods as false and instead view all of life, from magic to combat, with a hard, cynical eye. Their culture has developed into a military state where they are raised as warriors from birth.

>The charr are highly industrious, their forging superior to even the dwarves, and are renowned and feared for their military technology – weapon development, war machines and mass production, having pioneered the creation of airships and submarines. Their rifles and pistols are particularly finely made. However, not all of their advancements involve weapons – they also make some of the finest clockwork and spring-driven devices in Tyria. Their development in technology eventually led to the printing press, which in turn propagated the widespread use of the New Krytan language. While the average charr is willing to embrace technology, many view the use of magic as a sign of weakness and will distrust magic-users as a whole.

they also have the fucking worst hub

>Go from being the niggers of Guild Wars 1 to second most advanced technology in 2 in 250 years

Shut up Mike O'Brien you and your shitsquad ruined that series

Not that user but... 250 years is a pretty long time man.,..

Like, the United States isn't even 250 years old yet.

>orcs generally don't have more than 8 int
>nothing in the post indicates DnD
The whole "goblinoid races are inherently stupid" thing is moronic no matter what.
Now goblins are cruel, wicked, and bad-hearted. They make no beautiful things, but they make many clever ones. They can tunnel and mine as well as any but the most skilled dwarves, when they take the trouble, though they are usually untidy and dirty. Hammers, axes, swords, daggers, pickaxes, tongs, and also instruments of torture, they make very well, or get other people to make to their design, prisoners and slaves that have to work till they die for want of air and light. It is not unlikely that they invented some of the machines that have since troubled the world, especially the ingenious devices for killing large numbers of people at once, for wheels and engines and explosions always delighted them, and also not working with their own hands more than they could help; but in those days and those wild parts they had not advanced (as it is called) so far.

>no one went
>>hurr it worked once so let's stick to it forever xD

Look at European armies in World War I.

Their civil war really kickstarted weapons development.

>implying I'm the same poster
That guy was a dipshit, too, for thinking ONLY D&D does the "orcs are all complete morons.
No, tactics were constantly evolving during WWI, which you would know if you actually knew a god damned thing about said war beyond what you learned in your high school history class.

>Guise I read tolkein today aren't I great! Clever things xD do you like my scarf it's so cool hipster cred xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. You should stop doing such MAINSTREEM things like D&D :^)

A mindless charge does make sense in some situations. Mainly when the species reproduces so fast that they have enough numbers to win that way.

If a race is breeding that fast, taking less casualties in combat can put them at risk of starvation. Or maybe starvation is what causes the horde to rampage. Win or lose they lower the pressure on the food supply.

>one of the best selling English language novels of all time, which received a ridiculously successful hollywood adaptation, is now "hipster"
That word has, officially, lost all meaning.

I always suspected that something like this was why the Imperial Guard is as willing as it is to accept horrific casualties. Humans are common as hell, and thus cheap and easily replaced; actually managing such huge populations is tough, so they throw so many people into the meat grinder to take pressure off the resources/administration of the Imperium while simultaneously advancing the Imperium's security interests.

>Literally like fighting the Space Vietcong
I don't know if I should be scared or amused.

Scared, round eye

Do you mean to say that you used the word "hipster" before it was cool?

Well played, user. Well played.

>No, tactics were constantly evolving during WWI

Is that why the French line mutinied?
Is that why Petain was brought in?
Is that why the Somme and Verdun happened?
Is that why Falkenhaym was completely caught by surprise when the final German offensive collapsed?

I doubt that the Imperium has the ship capacity to ship enough people from a hive to a warzone to have any noticeable effect on the population of the hive.

Early game Humans are terrifying because everyone else is slow as shit but they can zip around the galaxy like it's nothing. The only thing that stops them from rampaging throughout your worlds is fuel requirements (can't refuel mid-way through the Space Tunnels) and RNJesus deigning to spare you by ensuring their randomly generated tunnels are not pointed directly at the worlds you've expanded onto

The flipside is that they are extremely slow when trying to get to planets where their tunnels don't directly connect to. They literally operate on an entirely different plane of movement from everyone else. So, human empires will look to the untrained eye like sparse pairings of planets with a lot of dead space in between, because RNJesus deigned to say that your tunnels connect so awkwardly to the "nearby" planets that it's the equivalent of having a base clear across the galaxy

It's pretty neat.

World War 1 taught the importance of small unit tactics (Sturmtruppen), to coordinate artillery and air attacks with infantry (creeping barrage and the like), armor support (Battle of Cambrai)

So tactics change. What you're talking about is the way WW1 was fought, which was as unchangeable as lining up and firing in the Napoleonic era

probably not thinking of Mass Effect. ME humans are the best at just about everything, and spend their noobie spacefaring years righting every wrong and solving everyone's problems. Technologically, they tend to be middle-ground, not as efficient military tech as turians, not as big guns as krogan, not as sophisticated as asari or salarians, but equal or superior to batarian and quarian stuff. And they're not overwhelmingly warlike, especially not compared to some of the other races in the setting.

Goblins and orcs always loved fire and death, and would go on to make the terrible weapons of later days. Not just bombs and rocketry, but handgonnes and the like. Naturally skilled with the spear and pike, orcish pike-n-shot formations became quite feared, especially when goblin cannoneers and wolf-rider pistoliers supported them. Even later, uruk musket auxilaries formed the core of southern regiments.

>ME humans are the best at just about everything, and spend their noobie spacefaring years righting every wrong and solving everyone's problems
This is almost entirely due to 2 and 3 being sub-par trash which betrayed the promise the first game showed in the pursuit of a "wider" (read: dumber) audience.

Where did this "guns are dishonorable" bullshit come from? The Japanese fucking loved muskets. And not just Nobunaga, either. Shingen wanted more guns, the Honganji used lots of guns, the samurai of Kyushu were quite proficient in their use, and in general their were widely adopted without issue. And even if some samurai did object to them, the armied at this time included large numbers of ashigaru who had no problems with firearms.

Well depends on the race and setting. Sometimes there's a good reason for it. For instance, improvements in tactics and technology for them over their opponents would make them win. And if they won they wouldn't be fighting anymore. And then what Mr. Smart Guy?

This guy gets it.

If you want a warlike race to be more than hurr durr, bone up on some history, especially early wars!

Now they have Kalashnikovs.

Not enough dakka.

The reason 40K Orks don't adapt their tactics is because their primary reason for fighting is because they enjoy it. They pick their tactics based on whatever they find most entertaining.

As far as the Orks involved are concerned, the WAAGH they launched into the Eye of Terror was a resounding success. Especially the part where they are constantly resurrected to fight a battle that will never end.

The reason nobody in 40K adapts their tactics is because doing so would necessitate changing the tabletop rules and the players would hate that. The fluff has to follow the gameplay.

No game > game.

They fight each other of course.

Probably my favourite thing about SotS is the way that the humans aren't a "jack of all trades" race, unlike every other space game.

Hollywood feeding into the popular misconception that Samurai, despite being lifetime warriors, never adopted or learned to use any new weaponry. Same popular misconception exists for knights as well, not that I think about it.

Which raises the question "why has nobody exterminated these fuckers?" Fuck they probably should have been driven to extinction by mistake when someone they invaded just happened to kill the last of their species in a war.

No "warlike" peoples ever used a stupid, blunt charge to try and win battles. Ancient Germans relied primarily on shield walls which involved more throwing spears and other random shit at the enemy than actual CC. Turkic peoples relied on light cavalry, most notably in the form of horse archers. Samurai relied on the bow much more than the sword. The Normans were famed for their knights.

>orks
>not being top dogs in technology progress and warfare

Orks are literally the only faction in 40k who experiences some kind of significant technological evolution. They cram gunz and engines together and see what happens.
About tactics, who needs to come up with new tactics whe you have literally infinite numbers, a natural predisposition to war and a very bad temper? Orks are gonna win in the end anyway

>Orks are gonna win in the end anyway

Going to ?

They like the current state of the galaxy. Plenty of enemies for them to fight. If they get bored fighting one, they can always go attack someone else.

If they "win", that means wiping out other species. Meaning less variety for who they can fight.

MoO also handled it well. Humans were the Tech race since they were the only ones who came with Democracy as their system of Government.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Klingons steal or trade for their technology?

What's the best game, sword of the star 1 or the second one?

First one with all the expansions by FAR

Never play the second one. It's master of Orion 3 level bad.

The little grey guys were the tech race, bro.

Sword of the stars has a lot of really neat background fluff too. It's a pity half the studio got fired/left/got flamed out of existence.

Oh fuck, thanks bros, I will try the first then, GOG has it I think.

are you fucking implying that the first appearance of tanks was not a fucking evolution of tactics?

SotS is fucking great, but goddamn SotS 2 has some shit that I cannot get past lore-wise
>Space Dolphins have massive weakness in that a lack of sleeping or a subconcious basically means they get permanent Space PTSD from Space War
>Space Rat finds Space Jesus while mindraping some human slaves one day
>Goes to Space Jail, meditates on Space Jesus
>Finds that talking to a Space Dolphin one day somehow literally altered his physical form, granting him an extended lifespan
>Converts all the other Space Rats in Space Jail to Space Catholic and breaks out to go move to Space Dolphin land
>They open up Space Clinics where Space Rats eat the Space PTSD of the Space Dolphins with their mind rape powers

Also
>AI confirmed to literally have souls by specially trained space dolphins
>Nobody cares, especially not the space dolphins
>AIs get mad and fuck off to found their own space civilization
>Nobody cares

ALSO
>Game was hyped up because we finally get to see the big bad race that fucked up the psychic superpowers, of the Space Dolphins and Space Crow Dragons, and made the Space Rats who are also on the top 3 list.
>Turns it out's just a collection of giant Space Dolphins. One happens to be a Lich, the rest are just in space because they want to be normally space immortal.
>Space Dolphins lied about engineering a disease to wipe out the entire race to save face
>Nobody bothered to correct them either
>Somehow this doesn't mean they aren't actually masters of engineering space plagues

Consider how battles were fought at the beginning of the war. Now contrast this to how the battles were fought at the end of the war.

>>Space Dolphins lied about engineering a disease to wipe out the entire race to save face
>>Nobody bothered to correct them either
>>Somehow this doesn't mean they aren't actually masters of engineering space plagues

I would assume they used their expertise at space plagues as the basis of the lie, not the other way around.

I guess that makes sense, I didn't think of it from that angle.

It just kinda took away the whole "woah they ARE good at this stuff" when the big example got wiped away and replaced with a space lich.

I didn't really mind the Suul'ka thing desu. The Zuul/Liir team-up was fucking retarded though.

Not in actual play no. They had points in Tech, but the Democracy system of Government gave a +50% bonus to tech, and the Greys came with Dictatorship instead, which even with their tech bonus meant they were hugely disadvantaged in actually researching techs in game..

Even before guns, bows were in the samurai arsenal. Guns are just updated ranged weapon, zero problems.

Yeah, but humans have to research each tech individually. Psilons don't have this issue. Getting 2 or 3 techs for the price of one far outstrips any speed boost humans might enjoy.

I mean, I could have taken the religion thing if it didn't also come with "They literally get better bodies from hanging out with space dolphins and/or converting to space catholic". It's a nice little catalyst.

And I wouldn't have minded the teamup if it did more than spawn a superpowered motherfucker and made the Space dolphins even more OP.

Also, I completely forget this one, but
>Space Crow Dragons are OP as fuck
>They are also really fucking mad about losing endless planets and people to the evil asshole race
>They're going to get their empire back
>SotS 2 rolls around
>They calm down and become the space cops instead
>Apparently the real space cops never actually appeared in the canon events between Sots1 and 2. unlike the fucking System Killer and Puppet master which are entries on the black list

It makes sense that the only ones capable of teaching the Zuul how to not be assholes were the Liir. The whole space catholicism thing did not make any sense at all though.

What I did not enjoy about SOTS 2 was that it actually answered all of the questions about the lore. Yep, the Suul'ka who were mysterious evil are actually just Liir too old and fat to survive planetside. Being psychic is just a career choice and you can freely choose between eating souls or burgers.

Also, because some AI were treated poorly, you are just a carbon chauvinist when you complain about the AI deciding to exterminate all organics they can get their hands on. They need to benefit from the rights afforded by a universal respect for life, but not the responsibilities it entails.

They still have the technology.

Though I'm not sure that their military tech is better than the Federations. Sure, the Feds don't have cloaks. But think about how many times an Enterprise held its own against other warships of a similar size. The entire volume of a warship is dedicated to combat. Federation ships have large parts dedicated to exploration, science, crew luxuries, etc.

Still easier than fighting Hivers desu. If you don't destroy their planet's gate immediately, every single ship in their Empire is going to converge on you next turn. And you know that sucker is going to be armoured to balls.

>The PC's hear of a mighty war-like race form across the sea as they leave their isolated home town
>They use advanced technology and tactics but are also furious in close quarters
>They extract punishing trade deals from anyone with a port
>They set up puppet governments to manage their conquests as they move on to the next victim
>The PC's see them for the first time in a pitched battle to suppress a local uprising
>It's these fantastic bastards

Plot demands that the Enterprise literally cannot lose unless the writers want it to, though. You'd have to try and look at examples of other Federation ships of a similar class going up against the Klingons to try and make a fair comparison.

I'll take "What are Africans?" for 500, thank you

>The whole "goblinoid races are inherently stupid" thing is moronic no matter what.
Usually it's orcs that are portrayed as the stupid ones in D&D. Pathfinder goblins are portrayed as idiots in the lore, but the NPC still has the 10 int - which is average intelligence - that they had in 3.5, and continue to have in 5e. Also, D&D orcs aren't usually considered goblinoids.

There's a nice idiom in German for people like you:
"Wenn man keine Ahnung hat, einfach mal die Fresse halten."

This amounts to:

"If one is ignorant concerning a specific topic, one would be ill-suited to open one's mouth."

>warlike race
>their only tactic is a mindless charge
>inferior technology
Considering you have essentially described the Japanese in WW2, its not that unrealistic, particularly in settings where guns are in their infancy or do not exist.

We have a word for people like you German. It translates to "smart shitter" and means you should promptly KYS asap

DEPENDS ON THE SETTING

>we wuz wizurdz n shiet

There is more than one galaxy in da Oonivers

A warlike people who were actually good at war would simply end up becoming the new ruling class.

Ergo the only warlike people who stay warlike are the ones who are fucking baddies at their own culture.

This isn't as common a trope as you might think in sci-fi. It applies to orks and...?

Klingons are pretty advanced in terms of weaponry. As are Elerians, Eldar, and various other brands of warlike space elves. Romulans are expansionist aggressors and they have really advanced stuff.

Sci-fi warrior races with low tech tend to be that way for some other reason. Like the big dudes from Mass Effect who were still early industrial tier before some other species came and recruited them to fight their wars. And they don't have low tech really, just a shitty impoverished homeworld.

>promplty
>asap
Redundant.

>I wanna see a barbaric race who finds first guns and abuses them

Here you go

Not even a good one, user.

How much does a race need to focus on military to be described as warlike?

Does it just require a military government, a la the republic of Starship Troopers where a term of duty is required to gain full citizenship? Must they constantly seek war, or is using their history of war as a metaphor for their core virtues (valour, bravery, knowing when to stay the hand and when to attack without hesitation, etc) sufficient? Is it just a relative term for any race with a bigger or more prolific army than your own?

Fuck off /pol/.

8/10 bait.

Would rage considerably again.

Sound very stupid desu.

I kind of get the feeling that it's often less a "they're warlike, so they're less civilized/technologically advanced" thing and more a "they're uncivilized savages, so they're warlike" - it kind of follows logically from that old idea that more advanced races would transcend the need for violence and whatnot. Y'know, the magical hyperadvanced space hippy trope. I think that's gotten a bit less popular these days, though?

>I think that's gotten a bit less popular these days, though?
Yeah, now it's magical hyper-primitive space hippies who live in harmony with nature.