/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

>Previous Thread: use the archive fuccboi

>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH

mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/[WtF]The_Pack.PDF

mediafire.com/download/a1kpjrm41yzozkq/V20_Ghouls_&_Revenants.pdf

>Latest News
The Kickstarter for Beckett's Jyhad Diary is live!
theonyxpath.com/the-deluxe-becketts-jyhad-diary-kickstarter-is-now-live/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:

theonyxpath.com/the-pain-from-an-old-wound-vampire-the-masquerade/
>Question
How many dots does your character have in Animal Ken?

Other urls found in this thread:

theonyxpath.com/a-bit-o-beckett-a-gram-of-gen-con-monday-meeting-notes/
theonyxpath.com/now-available-curse-of-the-blue-nile-and-v20w20-starter-bundles/
youtu.be/Wlc_PlLd0bE
youtu.be/xcf13_OzsPU
youtu.be/uYRZV8dV10w
youtu.be/er416Ad3R1g
youtu.be/oTN6cGmH2yM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To get the kind of near-archmage results you used to be able to tank the extended casting system to do, cast the spell as a ritual, take extra time to do it, and don't cast it by yourself - enlist Order, Cabal, and Legacy members in a team.

How are your Arcana dots spread currently?

Death 3
Mater 3
Life 3

1e btw

>Mater 3
Why do you have three towtrucks with redneck voices following you?

Matter. Create all the gold. All the meta-materials.

But why did you use a pic of a digimon? Is this an in-joke?

Need some advice Veeky Forums. My bro is running Changeling the lost and so far its pretty good. My ST wants me to nerf myself as I'm "too good" at combat. There's nothing he can throw at me to challenge me that wouldn't stomp the other PC's. Admittedly I have munchkin tendencies so I'm open to criticism. I have all 5 contracts of stone. I'm assuming he wont like it if I take more combat oriented contracts.

But where do I go? My ogre will do anything for glory and thinks that more power = more glory. He's joined the entitlement golden standard blah blah. Can't remember the full name but it lets you spend a glamour and add a physical stat to social rolls. This leads to me potentially outshining our Fairest who didn't specialize in social-fu. So how can I "accumulate power" without overshadowing everyone else? Am I just being "that guy"?

Top kek at this OP image

>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-bit-o-beckett-a-gram-of-gen-con-monday-meeting-notes/

No, it's just Fagness
He's been making the OPs for the couple months and screwing things up

We really need to re-do the OP, desu. The mega linked in the pastebin is missing anything that isn't pre-Onyx Path, and there's just a handful of links scattered between the pastebin and the OP for not even half of what the mega is missing.

Anyone given their ephemerals armor? Any guidelines for doing so? 2e

That is very clearly a werewolf. Look, it's got gloves and everything.

What the fuck is with the Digimon thread starter? I was looking for an image that clearly said WORLD/CHRONICLES OF DARKNESS

Your character simply needs to be challenged in new ways.

What an odd picture.

>Not using
>catalog
>ctrl + f wod

>using ctrl+f

Why not?

If anything, it's some compensation for how completely and utterly fucked they are in the cosmological sense.

Jesus Christ, what is this faggotry in OP pic

Anyway, V20 question: what if the pc is bloodbound but is affected by another mind-altering disciplines from a different vampire? I'm talking stuff like Dominate or Presence. What would be stronger if 2 conflicting orders are give? Would you just roll to see which one got more successes?

pretty sure generation determines who wins conflicting orders.

But then I have to click into that box before searching, then move the mouse again to enter the thread. If I just keep the catalog open I can f5 - ctrl+f wod and have the thread found faster than I could click on the search box in the first place. Always use keyboard commands over mouse whenever possible.

Not really, since generation will have nothing to do with the power of Presence 5

Also, Obtenebration 5 question: what will be the speed of the shadow?

presence 5 tells you what to do if you have a conflicting order. you try to break their majesty and use the rules in the power.

Wait what, where was that? My hypothetical situation is if Vampire A is ordered by his regnant to kill Vampire B, but Vampire B uses Presence 5 to order him to not do that

uh there are rules in majesty for how to break majesty. that's pretty much the only rules for it.

Wait, are you talking oWoD or nWoD? Because I was talking oWoD Majesty and I couldn't find any rules about what would happen in that scenario

just go read the fucking majesty power. there is no presence 5 in nwod.

I fucking have and guess what, nothing about how this might conflict with a blood bond ordering you to kill the one using Presence

here you go senpai

uh there are rules for breaking majesty under the rules for majesty. its basically the only thing their are mechanical rules for.

Yes, there are rules for making a roll to act against the one using it. But that doesn't answer my question how will this conflict with blood bond. Do you just roll to resist the blood bond as well then, if you fail the Willpower roll to resist Presense?

it doesnt. if something is causing you to act against the majesty user then you make the fucking roll. if you fail then you failed.

why would you roll against the blood bond? you try to break majesty, if you fail you fail much like trying to kill someone.

What the fucking fuck are you people talking about?
>just go read the fucking majesty power. there is no presence 5 in nwod.
He's not talking about nWoD, you fucking idiot, he said Vampire: The Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition.

Here's how it works: Ask your ST whether the Blood Bond trumps Dominate.

>He's not talking about nWoD
no one said he was, you dumb nigger. majesty is the name of the level 5 presence power in owod.
stupid faggot.

But Blood Bond is supposed to be the ultimate control. If your regnant is ordering you to kill a guy who's using Majesty do you just roll your blood bond against the resist Majesty roll and compare successes?

Would be nice, but I'm the ST

the blood bond does not give you supernatural powers. majesty is a supernatural power. when the two come into contact the blood bond might make you try to break the majesty but thats basically it.

Okay, that's what I needed to know. Thanks user. Though you could argue that blood bond is a supernatural power too

the blood bond itself is a power but it doesnt really give the bonded powers or any resistance to them. it just makes you an idiot.

Think of it this way: Blood Bond is a very passive power, whereas the use of Presence is a more active power, and active trumps passive. If you want to make things a little different, what you could do is have it be so that someone under a full Blood Bond impose a penalty on someone trying to Social Discipline the character into doing something that could hurt or injure who they're bonded to. If the rolls succeeds after the penalty, it happens as normal.

They have names?

>Would be nice, but I'm the ST
Then decide for yourself.

... doesn't it? The whole point of it is that you can't go against what your Regnant says.

Could try that too if need arises, but I think for the situation I was asking about I'll have the pc roll to attack the one using Presense first and if he fails, then Presence does trump the Blood Bond

Out of curiosity, can you imagine the emotional mindfuck the character would be going through? The person you love is ordering you to attack the person you love

Every level of a Discipline in VtM has a name, just like it does in Requiem.

>Then decide for yourself.

Sometimes, it is helpful to ask the community in case there is a rule one has forgotten, or if there's any advice someone can give them. Sometimes, people value the thoughts and opinions of others, even on boards like these.

The max modifier for a dice roll is +5 or -5 right? Is defense considered a modifier?

If not, it it possible to get an attack roll lowered to a chance die and then through equipment mods bring it back up?

theonyxpath.com/now-available-curse-of-the-blue-nile-and-v20w20-starter-bundles/

Paging Dr. Atamajakki to the internet.

>Sometimes, people value the thoughts and opinions of others, even on boards like these.
Why would you ever?

So my ST and I are considering having my Beast (anakim nemesis) undergo the Retreat. He's currently sharing a body with a demon, the inferno kind, and has decided that having a body just isn't worth putting up with the demon anymore. He'll become a rank 4 Unfettered with the max stats allowable at that rank. Any tips for building it for maximum Juggernaut? He's a size 10 stone giant so the ST is going to give me an armor rating and a 2L natural attack.

If you're a Dark Eras backer, you have just received a free copy of Tales from the Dark Eras, original Chronicles of Darkness historical fiction. Check your e-mail.

Thanks for the heads up.

I think user's original gripe was that the Advanced Scale AoE chart caps out at "small neighborhood".

For examples of what not to do.
>/pol/ says [THING]
>ergo I should probably not believe [THING]

If only more people understood this.

>How many dots does your character have in Animal Ken?
0 unless I want the character to specifically deal with animals. For instance when making vampire with Animalism, I give him like 2, but otherwise I ignore it.
Imho by far least used/usable skill.

It'll wait until payday for me, but still very hype!

Well, you could do the basics. Drop your combat dicepools, reduce defense, et cetera. But as the other user said, yea. sometimes you get characters that are good at combat in a party that isn't, and invariably that character will need to be challenged in ways that aren't "Throw powerful enemies at it". Your ST should be thinking "How would someone going up against this guy deal with his strengths and weaknesses?". For example, I had a HELL Of a min-maxer in my game, threw dicepools of 14 with rote once per session at anything that threatened him. I put him up against a fractal with a demonic form power that made all non-aimed shots instantly miss. In the end, despite seeing her aiming and hitting he assumed it was ST fiat to punish him and they were forced to flee as none of them wanted to actually verbally deal with her.

>he assumed it was ST fiat to punish him and they were forced to flee as none of them wanted to actually verbally deal with her.
And it really was ST fiat. A+ STing, friend.

Anybody here used the MEGA app for IOS? Can't get the damn thing to work correctly. Don't have my laptop with me so I thought I'd browse through a few pdfs to waste time, but I can't download them correctly.

lol, I skimmed and saw Fractal with a demonic form power and I was going to get up in your face about how they can't have those, only embeds. Then I read further and what you describe is an embed.

Anyhow, another thing to think about is if the player is built for regularly tossing out 14+ combat dicepools, make them talk their way out of something. Make them bake their way out of something. When people are so heavily specialized in a party it makes me think of Leverage. There were one or two episodes where Eliot was challenged in combat, but when they wanted to really screw with him they rigged the situation so that Eliot had to deal with technology, or sing (which he actually did quite well), or pushed him into baking.

So you're saying user should never challenge his players in ways that requires them to think?

>or sing (which he actually did quite well)
That's because Christian Kane is an actual country singer.
youtu.be/Wlc_PlLd0bE

I really just wanted to link this.

Any character that owns a dog, or a lively pet gets one, when I'm playing.

Seriously, sparing a point isn't the end of the world if you're not power playing.

Thinking about running a Mage game. I normally aim for 1-2 experience points a session. Should I got for the same amount of Arcane experience or should I be stringy?

1e or 2e?
If it's 2e: Let the Beats flow naturally. Be casual with Conditions and Tilts.

A little stingier. 4 exp is a full arcanum. 2e? Online?

2E. Playing with friends. I like to reward roleplaying and creative thinking so I end up being pretty generous with beats.

Arcane experience should be for mysteries specifically. I'd aim for 1-2 regular, 1 arcane.

First session of V20. Put the frehly embraced players( a tremere a toreadore) into an independently ran sect in Indiana. They've met the npcs by way of going around collecting a blood tax the assamite leader.put out on the kindred of the city. The trenere apparently has an occult family so he has a means to collect blood to feed off of. And the toreador is a much maligned journalist with a the "expendable" flaw. Im looking forward to seeing the shenanigans that can be had

Thank you.

>I'd aim for 1-2 regular, 1 arcane.

Exp, not beats, right?
So ~8 regular, ~5 arcane beats per session.

More like 10 and 5. Mage takes forever to progress. Limit their gnosis advancement so they buy merits and skills.

I usually let my players raise their Gnosis up to level 5 without any protests.

Gnosis 6+ advancement in my games is a chapter spanning achievement with major personal development and enlightenment.

Giving them a lot of exp but limiting primary advancement is a good way to encourage branching out, but if they don't need encouragement, cling to your group for life.

So, just finishing up Stranger Things.

Eleven, Deviant or Stigmatic? I mostly got the Stigmatic idea based on the way the woman from 'the power company' really felt like some kind of Hunter Angel. On the other hand, she's got the whole somebody experimented on her to make her into what she is and now she's hunted going on.

She could be either, really. We don't know enough about Deviants, but she seems to fit the bill with what we DO know.

For a Demon game, I'd probably have her be a Demon-Blooded, actually. Represent the monster/demigorgon as a Cryptid, and Dr Brenner and co as Angels. I mean, they *are* part of a secret agency who are doing experiments with the supernatural to try and help with the war effort.

So the Dark Eras fiction book is really, really good. The Mage story that Malcolm did is fucking amazing.

That pretty much fits in with what I was thinking, though she doesn't really do much in the realm of Embed like effects.

youtu.be/xcf13_OzsPU
youtu.be/uYRZV8dV10w
youtu.be/er416Ad3R1g
youtu.be/oTN6cGmH2yM

I know I always have dumb ideas that I'm unlikely to ever actually use, but listening to a lot of eighties retro pixel art style music videos, I really want to think about that Cyberpunk God-Machine Bioshock game idea I had. The players would be strangers who end up at a lighthouse and in a cloistered city controlled by the God-Machine, with Cyberpunky overtones reminiscent of the late 80s and early 90s. They'd be normal mortals but get the use of Embeds from stimulant patches.

The setting itself would probably be a Blade Runner inspired multicultural city created by an 80s version of Utopia Now. And possibly be in space.

user, I've started to play CofD only recently and so far I have one big issue, that do not let put my mind at ease. Is it really OK not use any field? I mean, if you have a massive fight like coterie vs several SWAT siege teams you at least need to use miniatures. Simply to not forget how many of them are still fighting. Yet, I've never heard ST using field any fields.

"Field"? Do you mean a tactical map? No, not really, though you can. Also, generally large protracted battles aren't that great for the system.

user, you realize that most games don't use minis?

Cheetah speed

>How many dots does your character have in Animal Ken?

Two, because our Storyteller made us play V20 characters based upon ourselves, so all of our abilities were based upon our "actual abilities" before we were allowed to add freebies.

It was terribly depressing.

Hey I'm going to be running a Demon/Mage/Hunter/Beast Crossover game this Weekend.
So I was wondering if the thread could give me some ideas for some NPC and people if interest.

The games is set in Chicago from Watch_Dogs.
With the God-Machine and Seerers of the Throne working together to spread the CTOS system so they may more easily pacify threat and enemies.

I'm thinking for the Theme to be Oppression and the Mood be Paranoia.
But if anyone has better suggestion for theme or mood I'm all ears.

Why are the Beasts involved? They just want to hunt.

Why would the Hunters work with Demons and Beasts? Mages you can kind of wave off as "human," but Beasts especially they shouldn't be cool with.

Why would Seers purposely do what the God-Machine wants? Makes perfect sense for them to be unwitting puppets, but they want to rewrite reality. The God-Machine is reality.

Well one of my players wanted to play a Beast, mostly because it is different from what he has played so far.

One player didn't feel like playing a supernatural so he decided for a more challenging role and choose to play Aiden Pearce a normal human who will eventually join a Hunter Group.

I suppose he will willing to work with demons and mages to prevent the BBEG from making humanity Docile.

The Seerers are not so much working for but with the God-Machine. They explore this idea in the Demon Storyteller Guide, and I wanted to expand on that. I would say more about that, but some of my player frequent this tread.

>ll of our abilities were based upon our "actual abilities" before we were allowed to add freebies.
I've NEVER seen this work in a game.

Do I have to roll the detachment roll if I join a Covenant in character creation?

oWoD vampire question:

How are the Abyss and Hell rleated?

Specifically if you think about the Angelis Ater, do they have a good reason to go down this path?

Or did they just choose to be huge dicks and become devil sluts while the Abyss is amoral?

Hi, /pfg/ here. Can you take 2hu back? We don't want him.

Who is that guy?

Oh sweet summer child.
Hell no. You can keep that faggot.

Trying to guess what the GM is thinking is never fun for the player.

So I'm the above fucktard asking about Blood Bond vs Presence, might as well do a short story time of what's happening with the group:

> Toreador, Gangrel, Brujah, Tremere and the occasional Malkavian (player works every other months, so her presence is limited)
> Game ended with Blood Hunt being called on them because they are thought to have killed the Brujah primogen
> Brujah primogen was actually dead before that, being possessed by a demon summoned by the Tremere regent who holds big sway over the Prince
> Demon later possessed a Gangrel elder
> Tremere from the capital comes in secret to investigate the local regent shenanigans and asks the party for help, subsequently learns about the possible possessed vampire walking around
> Group also ran into a Sabbat pack who was working with the now dead Brujah primogen to take over the city. They were trying to kill the Nossie primogen who the group saved
> They defeat the Sababt pack and take a staked Lasombra with them, the Gangrel pc being the most eager to do that
> Nossie is not a fan of the Tremere regent who might be an infernalist, so he's stuck between a rock and a hard place
> Says he will only support them if they get support from at least 2 other primogen, they can then persuade the prince that they did not kill anyone
> Because of Gangrel pc's horrible lying rolls, Nossie now knows that they didn't kill everyone from the Sabbat and will use it against them too

>bootleg 3.5 general

> Tremere agent persuaded the group the help him discover what the regent is up to by offering a boon from the whole clan as well as an enchanted ring for each of them that boosts their stealth
> I'm still undecided on whether or not I should give all of them a chance to roll Occult to see that rings will fuck them up if they go against the agent or if this is something I should allow the Tremere pc only to make a roll, who would know the runes and stuff
> Tremere agent also asked them to get a sample of the regent's blood for investigation and suggested a few options they can do that
> He will also give them a few options of how they can deal with the possessed vampire: either discover its True Name and bind him or find a mortal vessel and force him to possess a weaker human
> Toreador has also managed to find the soul of the Gangrel that was cast out of his body via Auspex 5 and so might try to find a necromancer to see if they can force the soul back into the body

Now for the stupidest thing done in downtime:
> Gangrel pc decides to blood bond the Lasombra
> Heard that Sabbat have some weird rituals that make it hard to blood bond them
> Asked Toreador pc to speak to Gangrel elder's soul about it
> Gangrel elder says not to do it
> Does it
> Feeds him for 4 nights and allows him to heal all agg damage
> Fails all the rolls to spot that Lasombra is pretending to be blood bound and is just bidding his time
> Allows him to wander with him and asks him for help to find a necromancer or a Nossie who might know one
> Asks Lasombra if he'd like to find and hunt a werewolf together
> Lasombra is all too happy to participate because that will allow him to escape and leave the Gangrel to deal with the werewolf

Million dollar question is how many hints should I give the player that the Lasombra is not blood bound. The player is trying to be in the good graces of both the Camarilla and the Sabbat. He's also fairly new (started playing 4 months ago) and does not know too much about the world but surely this is just plain dumb.

No. He belongs in D&D.

But that's not what you want. You want no thinking period

I'm really impressed with it so far. Starting off with two of the best CofD writers in the business was an excellent choicw. Looking forward to Dennis Detweiler's piece, I'm amazed they even got him on it.