I keep hearing good things about Anima, but I don't know a lot else about it beside what I've quickly read on wikipedia

I keep hearing good things about Anima, but I don't know a lot else about it beside what I've quickly read on wikipedia.

Sell/unsell me on Anima, Veeky Forums.

Pic unrelated, because I have no Anima pics.

The setting is fun for high adventure, but it can be a bit retarded sometimes.

Mechanics are clunky and will slow combat down, but you get used to it.

Character creation is fucking amazing, you can make absolutely anything. Be careful of minmaxers, they can break the game.

Overall: 8.5/10 would play again

Tell me more about character creation please!
And are there any tricks for speeding up combat? Like cheat sheets?

I've always liked the art style.

I don't play games based on art style though, so that's all I know.

I'm playing an Anima game at the moment, and while it's pretty fun I have a few problems with it.

It's a mechanically crunchy system for over the top anime-esque fantasy insanity, and it does the job very well. The setting is delightfully ludicrous and even at chargen you can build characters who are capable of some pretty incredible things.

However, I've never been able to get over a nagging feeling that the system doesn't give you enough points for non-primary elements, like flavour skills and such. Getting your awesome cool stuff up and running generally absorbs almost everything, so if you want to be a competent and capable adventurer you're generally incompetent in the rest of life. A houserule I've seen and like the idea of is giving bonus skill points in every skill per level, letting you be generally competent instead of a sword/magic/psychic-autist.

The translation errors and the fragmentation of the content is also annoying. Core Exxet, an errata book which fixes a lot of issues in core, was never translated, and you need to find the document fan translation that's floating around, in addition to a few other things IIRC.

It's like a good Exalted.

Once you add in the splat books (do it, imo they are necessary) you get a metric fuckton of options. Classes are just templates for how much things cost aka warriors get cheap combat stats, technicians get lots of Ki powers, etc.

You then pick advantages/disadvantages to add depth to your character.

Then you start spending points, most classes have a 60% limit on their main combat skill, the rest goes into other non combat skills.

"Races" are strange, they are called nephilim and mean that youre a human reincarnation of some dead race, brings advantages at the cost of lower xp.

As for combat, the dm screen helps but the only real way is to play and learn the rules. Make sure each player knows what rules are relevant to their character. You want to avoid your technician going all "durr how does ki accumulate again?" every two minutes.

Neat! I'll see about buying a copy next time I get paid. And I'll be sure to look for the translated errata. Anybody got a link to that?

I posted a thread asking about good systems to use for Attack on Titan and somebody recommended Anima. Your remarks?

>instead of a sword/magic/psychic-autist.

But that sounds awesome.

Here's a combat cheat sheet for ya.
Indeed. I remember someone had posted their tale about a mentally retarded wizard they had created with 3 INT, and Natural Magic theorem.

In real life, someone with autism would end up crying under a table instead of fighting.
This is why you should never allow someone to make an autistic character.

Huh. So it's d100 rolls, but not with the sort of roll-under percentile checks that most are used to from BRP? Is there a reason for all that granularity?

Not entirely convinced about AoT... The setting is pretty low powered in terms of characters whereas in Anima, even at level 1 you start up really strong (compared to the average joe)

>A houserule I've seen and like the idea of is giving bonus skill points in every skill per level, letting you be generally competent instead of a sword/magic/psychic-autist.
That's not a houserule, it's how skills work in Core Exxet

Bigger numbers.
Literally the only reason.

Also failures and mastery, but don't worry it's mostly because d100>d20

We've over this, putting all your points in one thing makes you unviable because nobody autistically focuses on 1 thing.

Still most people assume core exxet bonuses as trained

>I keep hearing good things about Anima
An actual flip through the book should settle that shit quick.

This desu, did it and played a game, great game/10 would recommend.

Quality shitposting m8