What would a space-faring undead civilization be like, Veeky Forums?

What would a space-faring undead civilization be like, Veeky Forums?

Assuming that they're the 'zombie virus' type of undead, rather than the 'magically reanimated' type of undead.

Reavers from Firefly.

Came here to post this.

Also the Borg are basically zombies in SPAAAACEEE!!!!!!

Don't the Reavers steal all their ships? Does that really make them qualify as space-faring?

>be me
>resting happy in the afterlife,
>was an engineer and had to make repairs on reactor
>apparently some faggot dropped his welder into it and its been rattling around for about a week
>trying to decide how to get it out
>don't notice engiebro coming up behind me
>he cold cocks me with a wrench I fall
>not dead, barley conscious
>watch him pull a little metal box out fiddle with it and place it next to reactor
>all I see before I die is a loud bang and a flash
>ff to now still exploring this abyss of death
>feel myself getting pulled back into mortal plain
>ffs I was just getting comfy
>see some faggot dressed head to foot in back robes in and mask
>hottopic.jpg
>mfw he says I was raised to serve him and his followers as part of his crew
>try telling him to go fuck himself
>words don't come out and only a low moan
>can't control body, do as orderd
>put to work as janitor
>all I do is watch my own arms go back and forth cleaning
>if I could I would eat glass shards just to spice things up
>body doesn't even look up to see hallways or people walk by
>everyday I wish for the death

Reavers are a bad example. They are perfectly intelligent people. They're just hyperaggresive towards outsiders. They're violent, not fucking stupid.

do they still require sustenance? Zombie eat brain, or something?

> hot topic

In the original show, they were simply people who bad been removed from civilization too long and went mad/wild while in the movie they're the result of a government experiment.

Both allow them to retain some level of higher intelligence - but they are literally fucking insane and they basically do nothing other than raid.

Read the OP again.

They're 'zombie virus' undead, so yes they need to eat. And if they're space-faring they probably retain enough intelligence to do so.

>but they are literally fucking insane and they basically do nothing other than raid.

And operate and maintain fucking spaceships.

>They're 'zombie virus' undead
I know a lot of 'zombie virus' undead that don't require sustenance, so yeah I need to clarify.

They all need vegetables.

OP here. What's the point in having zombies if they're not gonna eat people?

Let's say that, even if they don't need to eat people, they want to.

Then you copy-paste the Batarians from Mass Effect. Slavery, Zombie-Space-Jesus religion, don't play ball with other races because muh culture, freaky voice, spikes and nets etc

crazy yelling shambling monsters being ferried around by heavily automated ships that predate the virus

Had a race of Undead in a space opera RPG where all the races were sci-fi versions of typical fantasy races. In the setting Dwarves were an almost extinct race of super hi-tech guys, in the past they had tried to 'uplift' the Ogre race, who were pretty similar to WFB Ogres, they only cared about eating and fighting. Basically it all goes wrong and the Ogres exploit life-extending technologies to make Zombies out of their victims to serve them. Flash forward to the time of the campaign and the Ogres are basically rarely seen but command huge fleets of Zombies, there are various tiers of them from the lowly cannon fodder, to more intelligent 'Captains' and even fully sentient 'Ambassador' types. All the Zombies were cyborgs as well, ranging from basic ones with swords for arms, up to walking tank versions with railguns and shit bolted onto them. Their main tactic was just to launch chemical weapons at a planet to kill everyone and then send in the zombie hordes to finish off any survivors.

What's the alternative? Can zombies build spaceships now? Are they still zombies at that point, or just an alien race with a peculiar life cycle?

That is eerily similar to a space opera RPG setting I came up with a few years ago. Different, but still enough similarities to make me wonder...
Either that or I haven't slept in a really long time and I'm being paranoid. Which is true. So disregard my accusations. Sounds cool though.

My first thought was necromorphs.

Zombies floating in space and attach themselves to ships so that they can attack when the ship lands in spaceports

Space leper colony?
All species are susceptible to space-cancer, of which there is no known cure.
So the afflicted are rounded up, thrown on ships, and flown to a barren planet.
Eventually, they rise up and take control of the ships.
They gather all able bodies from Lepertopia and assemble a massive fleet of jail/medical ships, which they plan to use to finally find a cure to their disease, by force if necessary.

They did establish that Reaver ships were heavily irradiated because foolproofshielding was beyond them. Normal people would die on one of those ships.

I always loved the idea of a ship A.I.s running on a literal skeleton crew.
Particularly when its not done to be scary

>rather than the 'magically reanimated' type of undead.

I dunno man magic undead sci-fi has plenty of interesting precedent.

Wildstar Mordesh sort of sit between zombie virus and magically reanimated.
If only because magic/primal energy and it's usage in technology is a thing in the setting so you can't ever really artificially exclude it.

They're basically pretty grumpy about being turned into zombies and willing to do some questionable medical procedures to test subjects and work the land dry to develop more not!Zombrex to keep them from turning feral.
Oh and they're pretty interested in chemistry and medicine as you'd expect for a race of people trying to cure the zombie plague.

>Reclamation Unit 9088361
>Robot Workforce on mission to break down unsuitable planets for raw materials and prepare the remains for later re-purposing by Creator Race
>Creator Race is long dead
>AI designed to control workforce also dead/permanently offline
>Creators were sulphur-based lifeforms, and thus view all non-Sulpher based worlds as targets for reclamation
>Due to scale of power needed to recycle planets, even basic work-lasers are fucking ridiculous OP against most races
>They work in huge swarm-like armadas
>They can't understand us
>They don't know we're here
>They just know they need to feed their programming and their reclamation machines

Zombie Robots are in orbit above Terra Prime. What do you do?

Pic unrelated. Maybe.