Dungeon Life Quest (DLQ) 81 - Balls To The Walls Edition

ARCHIVE: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Dungeon Life Quest
PREVIOUS THREAD: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/48356962/
CHARACTERS AND PLACES: docs.google.com/document/d/19gNVgtevar647l4ZumUaVH6GlJzvxLlDNKaH8DrQMWE/edit?usp=sharing

You are Nathan Bookchild, Hero by frequent accusation, and you're feeling pretty damn good about yourself. You cut a dashing figure in these clothes and you know it - Amy even made a decorative eye patch for the occasion - and when Henrietta promised to actually throw a ball, she meant it.

Sure, you dance a little slower these days, but that's fine. It lets you hold Bri a little closer, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Other urls found in this thread:

wildwestscifi.net/
wildwestscifi.net/behind-the-building
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Amy's dancing with Razor Feathers, of all people, and it looks like the ruler of the Roost may be threatening to have a good time. The nobles, wealthy merchants, and officers invited to the ball seem nervous about the harpies in attendance - many took Henrietta's general invitation to Glen at face value, as she meant them to - but one brave young man taps Amy on the shoulder and asks if he might steal her dance partner. Your lover lets Feathers go with a broad smile and wishes them a pleasant dance.

"What do you think, Nate?" Brianna murmurs into your ear as the two of you dance close. "Start making friends now?"

"This is nice," you admit. "It's not often we get to just relax and talk..."

"It's not often that a Princess has her eye on us either," Brianna points out. You look over your shoulder and see her; Princess Amalie is a tall young woman, maybe your age or a few years older, with her black hair back in a loose ponytail and an interested expression. She notices you looking and raises her wineglass to you before saying something to a man that approaches her.

"What do you think?" you ask Bri.

"I think she knows damn well that Ettie invited us and she wants to know who these crazy adventurers are at the ball," Brianna answers, wryly.

> Keep dancing; you want to talk to Bri
> Meet with the merchants. They might be more useful than the nobles and easier to get along with.
> Maybe it's time you met the rulers of the kingdom that raised you after all
> Fuck it, let's see what Amalie is like

>Keep dancing; you want to talk to Bri
When else will we ever simply dance and talk?

> Fuck it, let's see what Amalie is like

>> Keep dancing; you want to talk to Bri

>> Keep dancing; you want to talk to Bri
Let's not spoil the mood with business

>Fuck it, let's see what Amalie is like.
Eh, why not. And if Nathan can impress her, she might just throw some of her weight behind Necrofowl Inc.

>Fuck it, let's see what Amalie is like
>It's not often we get a chance to talk to royalty either, and this is a golden opportunity for a very good first impression.

Rolled 1 (1d2)

>1 for dancing with Bri
>2 for meeting Amalies

>Fuck it, lets see what Amalie is like.
Nathan isn't known for subtle or very smart, lets get us a big fish.

Rolled 1 (1d2)

Tiebreaker roll. 1 is Bri, 2 is Amalie.

Welp, the die has spoken. Called, writing.

AH! The Hero may not play things under the table, but he's certainly nobody's fool.

Except a giant fucking snake. Or Bri and Amy's fool.

..Well, except for that one occasion. But I dare /you/ to pick a fight with a man-eating serpent made of metal and hate, and walk away without missing more than a few pieces!

Plus, he has a qt murderbird AND a lovely chocolate necromancer. He's a happy fool.

"I think she can keep wondering," you rejoin. "I want to spend some time with you."

"You say, as if you don't live in my room where I'm bedridden," your lover replies, giving you a kiss on the cheek. "...This is nice, though," she admits.

"So how's that molested-in-the-hope thing going for you?" you ask, while the two of you turn on the dance floor. Brianna answers by putting her lips to your ear and giving you a sultry moan that makes you shiver. "Bri!"

"You asked," she teases. "...I have high hopes. Glen seems like a great place, and I wouldn't mind living in and around it if I end up being responsible for the Dungeon."

"Who says you have to be responsible for the Dungeon?" you ask.

"Don't go there, Nate," Bri warns. "We're having a good time."

> Well why not?
> I'm just trying to understand what you're thinking. Walk me through the future you're imagining.
> Okay (pick a new topic)

I'm fucking dying.

I never answered the user last thread who asked if I had plans for other books besides Mourners. Mourners is getting at least one sequel (Ashes to Ashes, focusing more on Kestrel & the city of Asheholm), and I'm also experimenting with some hipster-ass shit where I'm writing a novel in which the narration doesn't refer to the MC by name ever.

/Ever/.

>> I'm just trying to understand what you're thinking. Walk me through the future you're imagining.

>I'm serious! Sure, you'll have your 'stewardship', if that's a proper title for it. But there are other people who care about you, who want to help and see this succeed. You've got me, Amy, River, Silence, The Keepers, Ghorsh and Lista, Kells, the Black Anvils...You won't be alone.

You're right, that is some whack-ass hipster shit. But I like it.

So wait, what sexy flavor is Brianna's skin tone? Chocolate? Brown sugar? Caramel? NO NO I GOT IT!

Coffee and cream.

...user, the OP is a pic of Bri.

There's a pic of Bri in my last post.

Domo has more pics of Bri on his site, including lewd ones.

There's a pic of Bri IN THIS POST.

Your question has been answered as thoroughly as it can be at this point.

>Domo has more pics of Bri on his site, including lewd ones.
Could we get a link to the site?

wildwestscifi.net/
wildwestscifi.net/behind-the-building
Feel free to catch up on & vote in Gallows Humor while you're there!

This and thisMy dick is happy.

I'll second this.

I gotta hit work for the next four hours, folks. Thread's open for Q&A.

Damn you, Life!

not into dudes, traps, or dickgirls. But I am satisfied otherwise.

I don't remember futa but it's been awhile.

At work now.

Bump

We must debate the most important question.

Who is best girl?

Lora

Silly user. All the girls are the best girl.

Cherry is the only girl I unconditionally love, so her, I suppose.

I'll bite, why?

D'aaw.

I agree, poor little ghost-daughteru didn't deserve such a cruel life. I wanted to sick Lora on the fucking bastard who left her.

River might not be best girl of DLQ, but she hits all of my fetishes.

Amy hits most of mine

>why?
cause she's cute.
CUTE!

Seriously, though, I like her character. It's hard to express, but I like how hard she tries; how she tries to learn mercy; how she tries to speak with Bri and be sociable; how she tries to act like a normal person in a normal situation even though she's a small god in a very hopeless situation.

Interesting.

C'mon now, you can't just say these things and not elaborate. I'm dying of curiosity over here and can't go home for like an hour and a half.

Okay, I should rephrase that River checks off on a lot of preferences for me. Isoldt's the only one whose actually played to my fetish (B&D).
>River's a cute little elf gal. Them pointy ears get me every time.
>Redheads. Unf. TIS LIKE THEY ARE KISSED BY THE SUN!
>From the dialogue (which is all thanks to you, you magnificent calcified bastard), River is charming, intelligent, and funny when she wants to be.
>Love me some demon-summoners and zombie shepherds. River counts as both!
>She's not just some squishy mage; I love me some female protagonists who can roll up their sleeves and take care of business.

So, yeah. River is my ideal romantic interest. Sharp tongue, heart of gold, good head on her shoulders, and she's certainly easy on the eyes. What's not to like?

> What's not to like?
The lack of proper armor, duh.

Thank you user. Characterization is something I value highly and also something it's hard to get feedback on.

This. DLQ needs more hot armor-girls; that chosen of Red Troth counts, but we haven't seen nearly enough of her yet.

Called, writing.

You give Brianna an eye roll. "I'm serious," you tell her. "Sure, you're the Heritor or whatever the final title is, and that's fine. But there's other people invested in this, you know. I mean, who are the Keepers? The Labyrinth Tribe? The Black Anvils, or the Roosters? Chopped liver? Not to mention me, and Amy, and River, and Silence. You don't have to rule the whole Dungeon. And people keep saying nobody /can/ anyway. So what is it you think you'll do?"

Brianna actually stops to think about that for awhile; she rests her head against your shoulder while she thinks. "...Honestly? What I've been doing, but hopefully with less killing people," she admits. "Finding things that need doing and arranging for them to get done. Reminding people that they're all in this together. Making friends." She kisses your ear, making you blush hotly. "Raising kids," she murmurs. "Yours and mine. Yours and Amy's. All of ours, you know? I'll take an apprentice, maybe one of them if they're interested, and on the quiet days Ames and I can tie you up and play Ravish the Hero..."

"Gods, Bri, I have to be able to walk straight," you protest. "Have you - this is gonna sound weird, but. Why do you want kids?"

Brianna laughs, and it's pretty and infectious. "Afraid I'm just trying to carry on the family name? But I can adopt for /that/, pretty Hero," she teases. "I always wanted children of my own. And unlike /some/ hopeful mothers, I've had experience with them when they're tiny, needy, and annoying," she adds.

"How romantic," you laugh lightly, and pull Bri into a tight hug. "We should probably handle at least some mingling..."

A familiar red cloak moves through the crowded dance field, and Catherine taps Brianna on the shoulder. "May I have this dance?" the Chosen asks, her red eyes bright with amusement. "I've business with your lover, Miss la Croix."

You and Brianna raise your eyebrows. Catherine turns her head, indicating an older man in a sharp uniform near the edge of the dance floor. "I've also been asked by General Greenriver to beg your pardon and see if you would speak with him. He suspects you of being a marshlander."

"He suspects rightly," Brianna agrees. "Nate?"

"Go, make friends," you tell your lover. You give Brianna a soft kiss, and she tousles your hair before she breaks away and heads for the General, holding her hat to her head and grinning like a fiend.

Catherine offers you her hand, and you take it for the dance.

"I will be direct," the Chosen of Red Troth tells you. "I beg you to accept my oath of service until I can repay my debt to you."

> No
> Wat
> I would be honored
> What about Red Troth?

>> Wat

>> Wat

>I post about there not being enough Catherine
>Lo an behold, MORE CATHERINE
Oh Vox write in
>"Um, debt forgiven. No need to worry about that"
Seems to be the most Nathan answer...

>> I would be honored
need all the help we can get

> It's not me you owe the debt to, but the people of the Dungeon.

> You should do what you can for them, not to pay back a debt but because it's the right thing to do. To help each other.

Get fucked Cathy, your ego is still too huge.

Be fair, Troth told her to pay Nate back when you played her briefly.

I feel that
> Wat
is the initial response, and after the explanation
> I would be honored

>Why

>what debt? You were mistakenly acting on misinformation, you can't be responsible for that.

Passed out at my desk. Crawling back into bed. Votes open.

Questions, comments, can't type this whole thing.

Thank you all for bein' here, folks!

Bump before bed.

Wat?

This.

You and your ridiculous writing schedule. Are we going to have to call an exorcist so you'll actually rest those weary bones?

Jesus, this is so sweet, I think my heart turned into chocolate. I love when the three lovebirds get to be cute with each other. Please tell me that Brianna or Nate will have a hot tango scene with Amy in that slinky snake dress?

>I would be honored.
I'm pretty sure Catherine knows what's up, and if she doesn't, she'll learn by observing all the things we've done in uniting the various floors of the Dungeon with Glen on the surface. Yay for unity!

>> Wat
>> I would be honored

>I would be honored.
>But...
>Wat.

>> No
An oath made you do what you did last time. No oaths.

Oh, good point, I fully agree that she may help us if she wishes but being completely beholden to us is not a good thing.
>having a chosen's support is another pretty good thing to have right now.

I'm awake. Will call and write when I can.

>> Wat

I just realized, what about Hatchet and the Chosen of death? Fetch is with us so are they on a friendlier level?

Brianna left them in the Atheneum and advised Emily briefly, promising to talk with her more in-depth after the ball was handled. The short version is that Emily knows that Lora's orders can't necessarily be trusted. Hatchet has been asked to stay with her, and given the compass made from the Diviner's bones.

(I know I didn't show it on-screen, I dropped the ball on that one but you'd gone through all the effort to make it and you don't deserve to lose out on shit because /I/ was forgetful)

Called, writing.

Thank you kindly.

Eh, when can check on them later. So long as they're safe and sound. Maybe we can bring Emily up to talk with Catherine, and maybe Briony or the Reverend?

> Supporting this

I mean, if she wants to help that's cool, but it shouldn't be due to an oath.

How's the recovery in the other floors going? I know the Rose Cult and the Miners got hit pretty hard during the battle against the Baron, but there's been a huge influx of basically /everything/ from the surface. I'd hope that they can be ready to help free the Cornucopia once we're done in Glen.

"What?" you ask surprised. The half-elf's red eyes give you a puzzled look.

"Do you need it written in flame on the grass?" Catherine asks. "I was quite clear."

"Don't burn up the dance floor," you scold. "What do you mean, your service? What debt?"

Catherine frowns at you, and you're pretty sure she thinks you're making fun of her, but she doesn't stop the dance. "I should think my services are obvious. I would be your soldier and, if you wish it, a commander of your forces. I would wage your wars, fight your battles, and scatter your enemies like crows before the storm. My power would be yours to dispose of as you will, until my debt is repaid."

"What is it you think you owe me?" you ask, exasperated.

"You turned me from my path and showed me mercy when I would have given you none," Catherine answers, with a frankness that puts a chill down your spine. "I have spent much time speaking with my lord, and much more time listening. I...I had lost my way. I am commanded to descend into the Dungeon in your service and emerge only when I can tell him why I wage war."

"...Won't you ever stop waging war?" you ask, your voice soft and curious.

"When death lifts my mantle from me," Catherine answers simply, shrugging her shoulders beneath her red cloak. "I chose war, and was Chosen. And I /like it/. But the Red God does not need a reaver, and I will not become one. Accept my oath. Please."

You think it over for a minute, then shake your head. "I won't accept an oath from you. You got in trouble that way last time. But if you're offering your service, we could use you. This fight's coming to a head, and I won't turn away willing help, or a servant of the Red God."

Catherine brushes a lock of long blonde hair back behind her ear. "Without an oath, how will you have faith in my service?"

"I have faith that Red Troth wouldn't have Chosen you without a good reason," you tell her. "I've got too many problems in my life to waste time on paranoia, Catherine.

The Chosen bows her head in gratitude. "I will not abuse your trust."

"Is it hard, being that dramatic all the time?"

"What?"

"...Nevermind."

> You are Brianna la Croix
> You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker
> You are River la Croix

> You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker

>You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker
Ames with the stellar wings and dress, people must be gawking.

>Lets see what Amy is up too.

>"Is it hard, being that dramatic all the time?"
kek, Nathan does this just as often as the her.

Vox, why are you asking questions you already know the answer too?

Time to tear up the dance floor yo.

Shhhh, he thinks his supernatural powers are a secret, unlike his night-time activities. The skeletal slut.

>> You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker

>amy

>>> You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker

Never have I seen such a divided and contentious vote. I'm not sure if I can call it in good -

I can't finish that with a straight face, called, writing.

> You are Brianna la Croix

We must dissent.

>not voting for best birb
SHUN THE HERETIC!

One second too late mate.

You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker, and hot damn, you're feeling good. Young men and woman want to dance with you. /Old/ men and women want to dance with you. You've met business moguls and apprentices and soldiers and had some of the most fascinating conversations. A blacksmith asked about your wings, awe in her eyes, and you've even gotten the harpies to try something close enough to dancing to count for polite company.

You've also slapped more than a few wandering hands, but that's nice in its own way too. Nate and Bri are gonna /get it/ tonight.

You take the hand of a handsome man who introduces himself as Captain Reeds, and the band strikes up a new song. You can see Brianna talking to an old general near the edge of the dance floor - they raise a glass each, toasting to something you can't hear - and spot Nathan talking to that blacksmith from earlier. You can catch the exact moment when she praises his work on your wings, because he blushes red enough to light up the night.

Gods you love that man.

"That dress leaves nothing to the imagination," Reeds purrs.

"Good," you flirt back, turning with him on the floor. "Greenwall's uniforms aren't a bad look either, Captain."

"You've had almost every eye on the floor, you lovely thing," the man murmurs, before leaning in to kiss your neck. You step back and shake your head.

"Looks only, Captain," you warn. "My bed overflows as it is."

He smiles, apologetically, and pulls you back in; you give him a wry grin and flick your wings to stay steady.

"I know that Henrietta is planning something," he tells you. "I cannot help but think such a lovely and unusual young lady isn't part of it."

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies," you laugh, prettily.

"I could help, you know. My uncle is the Baron of Leeside and my family is rich from trade. He looks favorably upon me and my word."

"And what does an up and coming young officer want for his good word?" you tease.

His hand squeezes your ass. "Less left to the imagination," he whispers in your ear, entirely too close now.

> Stab him
> Throw him
> Signal Fetch in bird to get Bri
> ...You could always see what Nate and Bri think of the idea...?

>> Signal Fetch in bird to get Bri
Knight in shining

>Signal Fetch in bird to get Bri
Nope, we're taken, in more ways than one if I may add~

Oh fuck no. The temptation to..remove..certain pieces of his anatomy is strong, but Amy is supposed to be better than that.
>Signal Fetch in bird to get Bri.
>Drop the pretty act and tell him to back off. Now.

>Other
>You have no idea how hard it is to not cause a case of grievous bodily harm here
Or, slightly more casual
>I JUST said, eyes only. If I cannot trust you on something so simple as this, why should I trust you on something as serious as what I attempt?

>stab a finger in side and tell him that "looks only" was a warning

This is polite. We can do polite. Also, he's an officer that's a nephew of a baron. If he stops being polite, in a public function being held by a Duchess, who outranks his uncle, it doesn't end well for him. In fact, it doesn't end well for his uncle either.

He can either acknowledge this and go back to being polite, or deal with the lovely fact that, as an officer, he's supposed to honor duels and backing down from one doesn't end well either.

>> Throw him
Can't shank, but this is close. ... try to minimize the collateral damage, tho, don't want to upset the party for everyone else.

Where is that pic from?

So, what, grab him by his collar and toss him into the air? And when he hits the ground, remind him that it's rude to touch someone like that without their permission.

Black Lagoon, great show.

Called, writing.