What's your favorite chapter of Space Marines and why?

What's your favorite chapter of Space Marines and why?

I like Ultramarines, because they are the best.

I've never really liked the Ultramarines until the Heresy.

I still don't like them in 40k because every member of the chapter has been given a name and backstory and there's no room for customization.

Black Templars for they are the most righteous, a shame what they did to their rules.

My OC donut steel mureenes

The knights inductor.
Because it remember me tsome good old Veeky Forums autism.

Storm Giants have a pretty great name, but very little fluff besides fighting in the Third War of Armageddon (like half the fucking Imperium). Imperial Fists were pretty cool guys, shame about them being almost wiped out.

I'd say my favourite, if I had to pick, would be either Black Templars or Crimson Fists.

>every member of the chapter has been given a name and backstory
That only applies really to important officers and 2nd Company. Even then most of them are minimally fleshed out. The fuck has Captain Caito Galenus done?

I could tell you the names of all the Blood Angels' Captains/Master of the Forge/&c, too.

Crimsom Fist.

I find Pedro Kantor a really likeable character from the bits i read from time to time about him.

Plus im a Spaniard and i really find their scheme cool.

Raptors. Tacticool, and the closest GW gets to Reasonable Marines.

I like the ultramarines because red, yellow and blue look nice together. People get mad about them online, but I find it only makes the tabletop banter more enjoyable.

I don't get how anyone can call the Ultramarines their favourite. Not even going into the awful Matt Ward fluff, Ultramarines are the most generic chapter (very literally, they're the template for the Codex Astartes). I usually rate them next to Dark Angels for pure "meh" factor.

Total 40k newfag here, what did GW do to the Black Templars? How were their rules different before?

Pedro was great in Rynn's World. Rescued humans, killed Orks, and didn't afraid of anything.

>I don't get how anyone can call the Ultramarines their favourite.
Same reason people call captain america their favorite hero.

Generic doesn't mean bad.

>Ultramarines are the standard to which other Marines aspire
Well, that's why.

My major grief is that GW never updated the Emperor's Champion Vows, it was a great idea that was never updated after 4th edition.

Vows worked by adding a Champion to the army and the army would gain the abilities of the vow they chose, in 4th there were 4 vows which were

Uphold the Honour of the Emperor: Cant take cover saves, everything gets 6++
Abhor the Witch: Entire army gets a free movement before the game starts (Before scout) if there's a psyker in the enemy army, Black Templars MUST move towards the psyker and army wide 5+ deny the witch.
Accept any Challenge: Used to be Prefered Enemy then got changed to Rage
Suffer not the Unclean to Live: Entire army gets -1I and +1S

Uphold was crap, the other 3 had their uses, the point is this could've been used to make the army be NOT JUST ASSAULT but GW just never did anything to it and turned BT into an army that only gets bonuses in assault and assault fucking sucks. Back in 5th I could build a shooty army and get Abhor the Witch to get a 'scout' move.

Also the loss of relics was not fun, cenobyte servitors were cool and so was the Holy Grenade, blessed hull also made Land Raiders better.

But whatever, Black Templars are totally ignored and have no place in current casual meta.

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over your brothers all screaming.

Mine, of course. Black Heralds. Black scheme, with maroon helmet, shoulder pads, and robes.

>Unknown Founding
>Unknown Lineage
>Mostly operate in Koronus Expanse, but have been seen all across Imperium
>First official record of them goes back to M33, but they kinda-sorta-maybe were active before that, nobody knows
>Work very closely with the Ordo Hereticus, almost exclusively with a very specific Inquisitor for as long as that particular Inquisitor is alive, before "moving on" to the next Inquisitor
>Some speculate that the Chapter has some sort of "life-debt" to the Ordo Hereticus, as the next Inquisitor in the chain is always somehow related or otherwise known to the previous Inquisitor
>Extremely pious, and zealously believe in the Emperors Divinity
>Chaplains are incredibly common in the chapter, and there is almost always one Chaplain on every combat mission.
>Extreme use of Flame weapons, as well as Assault Marines and other close-combat troops
>Display an absolute hatred of Word Bearers, whom they consider to be their mortal foes, and whom they work closely with the Ordo Hereticus to thwart at every opportunity.

Their Chapter was "founded" by a company of Blackshield Loyalist Word Bearers, which barely survived Lorgars purge with less than 80 total marines. Fleeing into the Ghoul Stars, they scavenged and licked their wounds, biding their time. By the time they had 250+ Marines, they plunged back into known space with the intent to murder any and all traitor Word Bearers under new colors. They "faked it til they made it" by zealously supporting the Imperium during the Scouring, working parallel to their goals before somewhat disappearing again, and then just kind of "showing up" a millennia or two later as "the Black Heralds Chapter," and the only person who asked questions was a single Inquisitor. The Inquisitor eventually discovered their secret, and blackmailed them with it to get them to work alongside the Inquisition upon demand.

My armour is Contempt
My shield is Disgust
My sword is Hatred
In the Emperor's Name
Let none survive

None exemplify that creed better.

The Deus-Vult-In-Space marines are pretty rad

I dunno. If we're being serious then the Exorcists and the Red Hunters.

The Exorcists are a chapter of Doomguys who exorcise Daemons from themselves to render them invisible to Daemons, and their special character is canonically Primarch sized. He's a big guy, you know.

The Red Hunters are the Inquisition's personal chapter of Space Marines who work as their bodyguards and special forces for when things need to be absolutely wrecked. Unfortunately they cannot use any special characters and one of their rules are now useless.

If not, then the Hammers of Dorn, for their hatred of the Ultramarines and their ability to follow and use the Codex Astartes is like no other, to the point where they gleefully call out the Ultramarines on the littlest mistake they make. It's hilarious.

Lamenters, easy.
They're the only people in 40k who even care about doing their duty to protect the average Imperial Citizen. These guys suffered staggering casualties attempting to rescue prisoners from orks, and then, you know what? They actually felt genuine remorse when they had to kill the rest of the prisoners with an orbital barrage. And why did they kill them? Not to deny the orks their labor force, like other chapters would have done, but because the Lamenters knew life under the orks was worse than death, so they did what had to be done.

What other chapter can say that they would have done the same?

Moi favrit chaptah is da green chapta from da table o contents.

Emprah-boss' foinest

Can't go wrong with the Consecrators, especially when their lore hasn't been shat up by Gav Thorpe like with my poor Angels.

>They're the only people in 40k who even care about doing their duty to protect the average Imperial Citizen.

>who are the Salamanders

Not denying that Lamenters are cool, but dial it down a bit.

Is Lion tsundere for senpai?

No he crushed the Night Lords like was fucking John Cena and crippled the legion forever.

Because he wanted senpai to notice him?

Shit nigga didn't you finish Angels of Caliban

Crimson Fists, too.

Sons of Malice. Malal best chaos god.

I like Space Wolves, because they are the best

Space Wolves and one of the Blood Angels successors (forgot their name) are pretty bro tier as well, at least with the Imperial Guard forces not sure how they view civilians but since Grimnar is literally Santa Claus I'm sure they're cool

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of Salamanders purging an entire planet of humans for coexisting peacefully with xenos.

Even Conrad Kurze thought Vulkan went a little overboard in that situation

You say that like they did something wrong. Who knows what the Eldar had done to those poor people.

>Konrad Curze
Fixed that for you

>one incident that haunted Vulkan for the rest of his life, that he deeply, deeply regretted
>over killing Eldar, his most hated and ancestral foe, who infiltrated and commanded a human society
>THEY'RE TEAMKILLERS

Eldar, especially Dark Eldar, are one of if not the most vile and disgusting foes to the Salamanders, because of how they are the literal antithesis of the Promethian Cult as well as being Xenos.

I really like the aesthetic of the Thousand Sons, the whole scholar/mystic thing is pretty cool too.

They're space nerds

Did someone say A E S T H E T I C?

>furfag detected
Also who cares? We're Earth nerds

I'm gonna paint my rubric marines with the colour palette of the Macintosh plus album now

>they are the best.
Where there ever a chapter described as mediocre?

>humans
>coexisting peacefully with xenos
>eldar at that
no

lamenter fags need to stop being such faggots

Yiff in hell, furry lover.

The DA is where it's at

What's so bad about Eldar? They're beautiful beings, unlike those fucking Tau shitstains jerking off to their battlesuits.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Lamenters are fuck stains. Almost as bad as the Dark Angels

>hating on the based lamenters

I bet you're Carcharodon or Flesh Tearer fags

>chapter
Fucking wot?

Word Bearers best legion

>What's so bad about Eldar?
Nocturne was more or less enslaved by eldar before vulkan came and killed all of them, and Salamanders quite justifiably hate the shit out of them.

He'Stan going at it with a bunch of them was one of the only good parts of kyme's series of books.

chapter's fine. Fall of Malvolion is one of my favorite short stories.

Their online fanboys are self-righteous fuckheads.

This isn't an Eldar thread. Fuck off to shitting up the general with your Xenos shit. This is about the Emperor's finest, which are of course the Iron Hands-

Why don't you want people 1/2 Terminator in Terminator armor?

>Nocturne was more or less enslaved by eldar before vulkan came and killed all of them, and Salamanders quite justifiably hate the shit out of them.
Okay, but what's ACTUALLY wrong with them?

Too late

I'm a furry fan m8, just don't like the Lamenter's fan bases faggotry

They're fine.
I just like their edgy cousins more.

You have a point. Everything is better with edge.

>Okay, but what's ACTUALLY wrong with them?

The fact that all humans are literally livestock to them, and they have zero compunctions about killing entire planets of them if it benefits the Eldar in the slightest way?

Furthermore, pretty much all Eldar live an extremely selfish lifestyle (with Dark Eldar taking it to the extreme) which conflicts directly with the core ideology of the Salamanders and selfless sacrifice.

I'm normally a Guardians of the Covenant man, but I've been falling in love with the White Scars lately.

With the Guardians of the Covenant, I love their mission to pursue and preserve knowledge, and also not being AS obsessed with the Fallen as most of the other Unforgiven. Plus, their color scheme is dope as fuck.

As for the White Scars, I appreciate that although they have a somewhat more barbaric coat of pain like the Space Wolves, they actually rather dislike that reputation and have an appreciation for art and other aspects of culture and learning. I'm usually a fan of "cultured barbarian" things.

I've actually had a bit of an issue in that I really want to start a White Scars successor chapter, but I've invested too much into a Dark Angels successor at this point, between splitting Dark Vengeance with a friend, a codex, and objective cards.

I like the Dark Angels.

Why all the hate?

>he likes the White Scars

Oh come on, almost everyone in 40k is like that at best.

Because they're a bunch of retarded xeno loving team killing traitors

Please, those two are my favorite and I adore the Lamenters

Ultra marines are the coke classic of space marines.

I know Veeky Forums hates the ultra marines for being the most boring and generic of armies but to me that's a feature not a bug.

They're not trying to be werewolf space marine or vampire space marines. They just trying to be best space marine they can.

The way I see, space marines as a concept are interesting enough in their own right. They're engineered warrior monk superman. Adding gimmicks like them being vampire or werewolf seem make stand out less.

It's just a shame the fluff jerk off to them way too much.

I haven't read any of the books, only the codex and wiki.

Fill me in.

Who is the Arch Stanton of 40k?

They're still Xenos, and they still threaten Humanity, whom the Salamanders are charged with protecting. That is something that merits a Crusade in their eyes, combined with the fact that the Eldar are the ones who tormented the Nocturneans before the Primarch freed them.

>there are people that still respond to Kurzefag

So Vulkan's problem with Eldar basically boils down to "these guys hurt my feelings and that's bad"?

As someone that's been trying to get into them lately by reading their 7th edition codex, my issue with them largely has to do with how the codex is written.

The codex is seriously nothing but "FALLEN FALLEN FALLEN." It makes the Dark Angels out to have this one-track-minded obsession with hunting them to the point of self-parody, except that it's entirely serious. There's very little mention of the Dark Angels or their successors fighting xenos or non-Fallen Chaos forces. And, sometimes, when it IS mentioned, it's usually to find a Fallen.

Then there's the fact that they have a tendency to sometimes kill loyal Imperials if it means them even catching a whiff of the Fallen to preserve their secret.

It's even worse because the Horus Heresy novels have shown that most/all Loyalist Legions had separatist groups of their own to contend with, and yet the Dark Angels are still concerned with what happened at Caliban as if it was a unique occurrence.

I'd be fine if, at this point, it was played-up that the Dark Angels' big secret now is not really the Fallen, so much as the traitorous things they've done to maintain the original secret. But, as far as I've read, that doesn't ever come up.

If by, "hurt and killed his people at an extremely impressionable age in a completely horrible fashion," then yeah, it can be.

So you're an unironic edgelord who cries bitter tears over the suffering of good men in a bad world?

How pathetic. You really should find better ways to work your angst out than posting on forums.

Reminder that a great company of the Space Wolves rekt an entire Eldar Craftworld, completely and utterly destroying and killing everything on it . How can Nocturneans even compete?

All the girls these days wanna get K N O T T E D

As someone new to the table top game, this has bothered me as well. I love the colors and the robes and the bikes and shit, but this Fallen business is pretty dumb.

dark angles be looking for Fallen in a warzone like

I-I just think they're cool

>dark angles
You could even say they're obtuse

Does anyone have any "don't talk to me or my son again" 40k memes? I need them for reasons

Pre and Post Heresy

Other than Garro is their any likable Death Guard? Morty and that Golgor guy seem like huge assholes, same with Typhon. The only book I read with Typhon in it Leman Russ was about to rip his head off before Fulgrim calmed him down

>not being able to appreciate vanilla marine chapters

Oh look, the two biggest 40k namefaggots have arrived to argue which of their two favourite shit warbands is the least shit

LION el jonson, LIONs blade, LIONs on armour and swords, you're both going to yiff in hell except you DAfags will cook hotter for being heretics and gay

>cats
>furry

nigga what

One of you fucks wolves and drinks too much, the other fucks lions wears dresses and is a hiding in the closet heretic, you're both sinner faggots

DA has to be one of the dumbest legions ever

>flip flopping between knights or native americans
>lion everything but have the Ravenwing and Deathwing
>super traitorous then all of a sudden super loyal
>primarch is a literal fag

That's what happens when you base an entire legion off a poem.

Praise the Emperor! Sons of Dorn UNITE!

My niggas, fuck the dark angels, and fuck the space wolves

>their legion was based off a poem about the author struggling with his repressed homosexuality
>their fortress is named after a gaybar down the road from GW headquarters

Holy fuck if the Dork Angels were anymore in the closet they'd be in fucking Narnia instead of 40k

>fuck the dark angels
yes
>fuck the space wolves
no

They're both equally shit

Why not the literal best Marines?

Dark Angels are far worse

Says the guy sucking a wolf dick

My fellow man of a dark skin color.

Whitescars are fucking cool and one of the most underrepresented chapters and member of the original legions.

And you suck a lion cock, see? You're both just as bad.

Why are you assuming I'm a Space Wolf?

Dark Angels don't degenerate into literal wolf-monster furries.

Checkmate Russfags.