ITT: Favourite mtg characters

ITT: Favourite mtg characters

Pic Related

>inb4 Jace faggots

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/sorins-restoration-2015-03-27
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/black-revisited-2015-07-27
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't even play MtG or care about its lore, but my favorite character is that city guard kebab remover that removed angels and Eldrazi from city premises.

>Sorin
Ha ha ha

T A M I Y O
A
M
I
Y
O

Seconded.

I really like it when people die with a sudden case of getting on the wrong side of millenia old vampire.

What is this, some kind of millennia old vampire for ants?

But yeah, Sorin is probably the best of the new cast. Nobody else is remotely interesting, except, on occasion, Elspeth and Ajani. Nissa had the potential to go through a great character arc but that was wrecked by WotC's retconning.

Well Sorin was also an innocent victim of retconning.

Give me a card.

REEEEE

>Liking a "nothing personnel, kid" character

kek

>Well-defined power that works with existing lore
>Inventive planner that doesn't rely on ass-pull power-ups, but uses what she has and manipulates events to her advantage
>Genuinely complex motivation, being one of the more human oldwalkers pushed over the edge by the actions of one of the most aloof and going to an indefensible extreme

Literally the only reason not to like Nahiri is some weird trigger shit where you can't handle any woman character because it might be the Tumblrs coming to get you.

Objectively, Nahiri is the best character MTG has had in years.

Everyone that I met that likes her is a waifufag.

Same with Avacyn.

nahiri is pretty cool
i personally prefer the smug dragonwalker
for your second point mostly.

i hate it i hate it i hate it. He had such amazing potential and they threw it all away.

doesn't he have a card?

who do you think becomes the new Father of Machines?
Volrath

Best

Vanguard is a format no one plays or has ever played.

>Genuinely complex motivation
Not really, she and Sorin were written into a very strange situation then written very stupid for no reason other than to create basis for a conflict in the set.

>filename
Nahiri is a passable villain and everything, but nothing about her dictates that she's done anything but bad things since she got out of the vault, and you know it. That said, this is a thinly-veiled shitposting thread about mtg lore anyway.

She summoned Emrakul to Innistrad, an awful place that needs heavy-duty magic just to stop it from naturally wiping out humanity. This is a good thing because it stopped the Eldrazi from going to a plane that doesn't deserve it.

It was the emergence of vampires that upset the balance enough to necessitate Avacyn, which were human creations. Humanity on Innistrad mostly fucked itself, but Sorin did his best to un-fuck it.

Killing innocents with eldritch horrors because your mentor was a shitty person doesn't make you a good person.

>12 assholes is all of humanity
k

yeah i dont understand that shit either.
why exactly did sorin refuse her request to stop the eldrazi? because he had some matters on innstrad? bitch the eldrazi will only come to innstrad stronger if you let them out

>Humans are humanity
U heard me

>TOOT TOOT!

BEST PLANESWALKER, COMING THROUGH!

Now we're talking

>Serra's dead
>Gix is probably dead
>Venser's dead
>Elspeth's currently dead.

everyone I love is dead, even though one is most likely just temporary

I always liked Lavinia. This flavor text rings true.

When she got a card, I couldn't have been more pleased.

i liked the power struggle for the leadership of the golgari swarm with this bitch

also i like that ashiok dude for his premise (collecting nightmares) but he isnt fleshed out enough.

most of the planeswalkers i like visually are pushed to the side for jace/gideon/chandra/sorin

Because Sorin is a dickhole. He figured it could wait, since it wasn't Innistrad and Nahiri clearly handled it, despite her making it clear that she needed help.

He doesn't consider people as anything beyond tools.

>yfw Gix got transported to Kaladesh

I also like Shai Fusan.

Everyone hates nuSlivers, but I still would love to see Hastric get a card. He was there for all of it.

>Because Sorin is a dickhole. He doesn't consider people as anything beyond tools.
this part is so irrelevant. i have no idea why WOTC are trying to push this angle
it doesnt matter how much of a "dick" he is. nahiri was not containing the eldrazi and he of all people should know they are the biggest threat to the multiverse.

unless this "being a dick" thing extends to breaking promises, which it kinda does i guess

>Eldrazi
>Biggest threat to the Multiverse

Phyrexia would like to have a word with you.

Praise be to nicol bolas the almighty

>an army relying on a central figure taking fucking years to convert native life into another form

vs

>void beings that mutate things in seconds of their presence and devour matter completely

Nahiri contained the Eldrazi just fine, as far as he could tell. So, she had to struggle, she's a big girl. It was her job. Sure, he promised to help if shit hit the fan, but clearly it didn't, so he considered himself off the hook to make sure Innistrad fine.

He wasn't concerned. He had all the time in the world to take care of this. If Zendikar gets fucked a bit because Nahiri is incompetent, who cares? They'll just lock them up again, no biggy.

The idea is that his concern for the multiverse is ultimately selfish and while he'll butt in when it is his problem, he will not prioritize it in the slightest.

Personally, I like seeing his black side more, as his white was becoming overbearing.

They still have the big hurdle of getting off-plane again in front of them before they can make serious claims to the title.

>An army that has a progress at any cost mentality that has been proven to be almost impossible to get rid of

vs

>Supposedly indestructible elder beings who get beaten by friendship

>An army that needed 9 Old Walkers and 10,000 years of prep time to defeat temporarily

or

>Beings that lost to 5 new walkers in a month

The most important thing to note about New Phyrexia is that they can't leave.

They are a threat, but they haven't been multiversal since all oil has been taken out of Karn.

Old Phyrexia is dead. It is as relevant to the multiverse as Taysir.

This is not really a hurdle since Wizards has confirmed that Phyrexia is the BBEG of MTG and we will see Phyrexians again without going to Mirrodin again.

>Old Phyrexia is dead
Elspeth begs to differ

Clearly still relevant as Yawgmoth's Tomb is EDH staple.

Sure, Elspeth's plane also got fucked by a bit of oil and a different New Phyrexia.

Elspeth's plane was an Old Phyrexian world.

The really stupid part is Sorin never getting her out of the vault after all that time, the reason being of course that the writing staff didn't have here in there until it was too late and everything was stupid.

I think this is why everyone was very angry even if they didn't fully understand why another plane was getting wrecked and this time it was over a contrivance of the writers.

Hadi is cool. I bet him and Tamiyo would get along.

The reason he didn't get her out is because he didn't give a shit. He figured since she was throwing a temper tantrum, she'd be no use. In his mind, she's a child, not an equal. He thought "whatever, I'll take care of it".

As for why he didn't think "oh fuck, Nahiri" when the Helvault burst open, it is because as evidenced by his demeanor, his notion of scale is so far off that he didn't think she'd flip out. He called it as "stay in the Helvault", like a time out. The idea that someone would get upset by it is so foreign to him.

Look, clearly the writers hadn't planned it, but the idea that Sorin is so distant is interesting to me. And it doesn't seem uncharacteristic to him given his general attitude.

I appreciate a man who's evil and loves it
>My hand is on fire and everyone is dying
>Holy shit this is awesome hahaha
>Fuck this place

>Old walker you had a fight with last time you parted ways getting out of a prison you made
>Meh
No really that is just being written stupid.

And we see that Sorin feels guilt when Ugin brings up the topic of The Bitch so that doesn't work either.

>The idea that someone would get upset by it is so foreign to him.
>the idea that Sorin is so distant is interesting to me
That's cool that you've got your own little head-canon but it just wrong because it requires the man who cultivates grudges for decades to let them age like fine wine, does understand the concept of revenge. That would be fucking stupid.

He understands revenge, but only when it is about things that are actually worth getting upset over. In his worldview, he did nothing all that wrong to Nahiri.

Sure, he mentioned feeling a bit guilty, but from what I have read, he clearly assumed that she would've backed down. He felt he was so in the right and so much better than her that she wouldn't have dared to start shit over what he ultimately considered a petty spat.

I don't know. I don't think it is headcanon, since that's basically the entire tone of his behavior in recent writings.

Without head canon, no one above 6th grade would even bother with the story.

> In his worldview, he did nothing all that wrong
>mentioned feeling guilty
>He felt he was so in the right
These are not compatible statements.

No you are just seeing what you want to see so you can forgive Doug and his hacks.

Alright, link me the story where he mentions feeling guilty. I'll be 100% honest and say that when it comes to this stuff, I read three stories, Nahiri's initial imprisonment and the final confrontation.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/sorins-restoration-2015-03-27

He's not distant, he's a dick.

He goes on and on in one of the Tarkir stories about how he's outgrown things like shame, and guilt, and distress. And then when Ugin tells him to go find Nahiri, what does he feel? Shame, guilt, and distress, because he KNOWS he's responsible for it and has just refused to admit it to himself until there's no way of weaseling out of things left to him.

He also talks about how reveling in victory and needless bloodsucking is the stupidest thing you can do, but what does he do when he has Nahiri defeated? He starts gloating and goes to needlessly suck her blood so she can turn the tables.

The way they write Sorin is the epitome of wasted potential.

Because reasons.

So is it just inconsistent writing or is he just supposed to be a huge hypocrite who doesn't walk the talk?

Hypocrite, basically.

Is it because she's the only decent person in the entire Orzhov Syndicate?

Is it because she's been friends with both Boros Bros?

It's because of the tits, isn't it

Nahiri had seen him drink blood when he was still a full oldwalker and didn't need to.

>tfw she wants to make a deal with Jace
>enjoys teasing the Living Guildpact to make him confirm dozens of minor laws

Woefully inconsistent writing.

I like the story with her and Tajic. Not to that guy though.

I'm just gonna keep posting reoccurring flavor text guys from coresets and be ignored.

Surrak Bear puncher.
Rem Karolus.
Teferi
Venser
Agrus Kos, getting too old for this shit

None of the gatewatch or bad guys are particularly interesting, but I guess I don't hate Gideon.

Drinking blood keeps him healthy and sane. I'm not saying he never needed to do it, but he repeatedly tried to get the innistrad vamps to quit harvesting people for needless feasts and doing it to assert dominance.

He's a black-aligned walker, so if they wanted him to be considered a hypocrite, they would've just come out and told people he was a hypocrite. The idea that black is the color of ambition, pride, and goal-focused effort is a fan idea. WotC sees black as evil, so you can count on them to just be plain with it.

I like a lot of characters mentioned here, but come on. Step up your game.

Make way for best gril, faggots

Did they ever explain why he didn't just write Phyrexia out of existence?

Burse Tarl is still alive right?

It is not a fan idea. Don't be dumb.

>Black's philosophy is very simple: There's no one better suited to look after your own interests than you. Therefore, if everyone looks out after their own interests, you've created a system where everyone has someone looking out for them. In addition, black's system allows everyone the opportunity to succeed. Will everyone succeed? Of course not—but once again, that's not black's doing. That's just how the world works.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/black-revisited-2015-07-27

Yeah, as of BFZ. Doing what he does best.

Pic related, I still remember his words when he got past security and placed dredge in ravnica's keyword bin...

Good to hear...
He deserves a legendary card it will be a vanilla with a large flavor text.

Bunch of kids ITT.

>A victory on Zendikar after a long nightmarish period! Ulamog is imprisoned! Things are finally looking up!
>What's this? Some douchebag whose spark was doused thousands of years ago just got his powers back and stepped in to ruin everything by summoning an eldrazi and condemning an entire plane to death because he is angry at the planeswalker who imprisoned him there for so long!

>A victory on Innistrad after a long nightmarish period! Avacyn has returned! Griselbrand is dead! Things are finally looking up!
>What's this? Some bitch who was trapped hundreds of years ago just got free and stepped in to ruin everything by summoning an eldrazi and condemning an entire plane to death because she is angry at the planeswalker who imprisoned her there for so long!

I wonder if anyone at creative noticed they did that twice.

>Sorin never getting her out of the vault after all that time

I assumed that wasn't an option. Nothing ever escaped the helvault while it was intact right?

And with all his might and intimate knowledge of it's construction he can't crack it but post-mending Lilly can?

He didn't want to let the rest of the shit out, I assume. Unless Nahiri was the first one in.

My problem with sorin is he really is the perfect example of an edgelord.
> depicted as this super bad ass
> basically backs out of every confrontation ever and gets other people to deal with the problems he's responsible for while he goes and mopes in a corner while listening to the cure

she was the first one in.
Or one of the very first. She mentions it being totally empty, then demons showing up later.

DID
NOTHING
WRONG

Different planeswalker, the white one, who had the reality-altering stuff. If I remember correctly.

Also: Jodah. The Ice Age books were great, and you get the long-lived perspective of a planeswalker without the entirely alien behavior with him.