/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

Chaos Abandoned Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Old thread
How are the forces of chaos represented, if any in your games /5eg/ if they are present at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJzjeBPP
starwalkerstudios.com/blog/deathhouse
youtube.com/watch?v=T-AqHL-buBs
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Posting from last thread.
Thoughts? Criticisms?
Calling me a faggot?

>Satyrs: Resembling Humans or elves from the waist up, but have the legs and curled horns of a goat. Natural inhabitants of the Feywild, Satyrs are masters of deception and are born in with at least some inherent magical abilities from their home plane.
Ability Score Increase: You gain +2 Charisma
Size: Satyrs are similar in height to the elves and Archfey who rule the Feywild, Satyrs can poke anywhere between 4'1 - 5'6, and are considered Medium in size.
Speed: 30 feet
Languages: You can speak Common and Sylvan, the language of the fairies.
>legs of the goat: You are not impeded by naturally created Difficult Terrain
>Feywild Magic: You can cast Friends as a cantrip, using Charisma as the Spellcasting ability.
>Fey Court: due to the nature of the Feywild, most satyrs come from either the Summer Court of the Seele or the Gloaming Court of the Unseele, though some hail from the wilds themselves, a satyr always has one court or the other in their veins.
-

Summer Court
Ability Score Increase: You gain +1 to Wisdom
Seele wisdom: you obtain a resistance to the wiles of the magics of which Titania uses. You have advantage on Charisma and Wisdom saving throws against magical effects.
Summer Lore: You can speak and comprehend Elven.
Seele Spellcasting: You can cast Vicious Mockery as a cantrip. You use Charisma as your Spellcasting ability for this spell.

-

Gloaming Court
Ability Score Increase: You gain +1 to Constiution
Unseele Wisdom: You obtain a resistance to the magics of your court. You have advantage on Strength and Constitution saving throws against magical effects.
Gloaming Lore: You can speak Undercommon
Unseele Spellcasting: You can cast Chill Touch as a cantrip. Charisma is your Spellcasting ability for this spell.

Posting my EQ Magician based class "The Invoker" here. Would love to get some feedback.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJzjeBPP

The main idea is a full caster who relies on a pet, and is pretty big glass cannon without it.

It's like an autist / savant Conjuration wizard.

5e has no equivalent to the dragonfire adept, master of many forms, factotum, crusader, binder, totemist, psion, warlord and many other fun and unique classes from seasons past. It has other strengths, like its simplicity and ability to resolve unique actions quickly and fairly, but pretending it has options it clearly lacks is disingenuous.

You have shit tastes in classes and if you have the time to complain about the lack of them in 5e you can just go play them and their almost disturbing level of specifics in 3.5 with the guys who take Miner as a class.

"Legs of the Goat" sounds a little silly. Maybe something like "Nimble Step" or "Nature's Child".

Those actually sound kinda silly too.

>still crying about his shitty gimmick classes with no basis in classic fantasy
Just fuck off already.

You should add races - can't play as a death knight or wyrmling dragon or anything particularly interesting any more.

It's a work in progress. And the racial ability names are always a little goofy anyway.

Complaining about the lack of content in 5e is missing the point of the game by such a wide margin that you should feel bad for yourself. 5e opened the gates to 3pp and homebrew and just because your DM is trapped in the archaic thought that it cannot even be considered that's on your group and on your shitty DM. Your group is better suited for Pathfinder and just continually eating Paizo's shit.

Other games almost universally encourage homebrewing and 5e is no different.

You realise classic fantasy in this context is basically meaningless, right? Whereabouts in classic fantasy could protagonists regularly raise zombies, possess people, stop time, control the weather, reverse gravity, teleport, clone themselves, modify memories, summon houses, fly and turn into dinosaurs? Because wizards can do all that, and last I checked they're a D&D staple.

dm'd for a group of three people who hadn't played before. it was so refreshing seeing people so invested in the story. so into their characters first time round. being in the small intimate experience i think i enjoyed much more than my regular 6+ party

>Whereabouts in classic fantasy could protagonists regularly raise zombies, possess people, stop time, control the weather, reverse gravity, teleport, clone themselves, modify memories, summon houses, fly and turn into dinosaurs?
Greyhawk, Faerun, Dragonlance, Eberron.....

Any tips for softening up the Death House?

Likely going to have a group of four and none of them are experienced with D&D
Would the stuff listed in this post suffice? Is it going too far?

starwalkerstudios.com/blog/deathhouse

My group is completely unserious and loves shitty puns, and I'm trying to make a short filler campaign for them. All I have so far is that they go to a tavern owned by Gunter Hafter the dwarf, who keeps saying things like "I'm Gunter Hafter ask you to leave", stupid shit like that. Then his wife Ommana gets kidnapped by the evil elven wizard Me'azzku Sumpnn, and they have to go rescue her.

Can I get some help with the shittiest D&D wordplay you can think of?

>Me'azzku Sumpnn
Make it "Lemme'azzku Sumpnn"

He's arguing that it needs to come from classic fantasy to be in D&D, I ask where in classic fantasy the stuff I mentioned is from, and you respond with D&D.

How do we know the Bible's true?
God says so.
How do we know God is real?
The Bible tells us.
How do we know the Bible's true?
What a fun circle!

>implying the Dragonlance Chronicles and the Tales of Drizz't aren't classic fantasy by now

A level 1 Wizard decides to go camping. What cantrips + spells should they have?

Make the longsword over the mantle magical.

Have the specter retreat after 1/2 HP and fight again later upstairs in the attic. Have her warn them about Gustav. Make the tombs of Elisabeth and Gutav look like undead crawle from them. Make sure your players know to take rests. Use the rules for returning people to life by the dark powers. Make the PCs level 3 entering the house. Make sure they know Basement = EVIL and House = Bad, and then make 1st floor = Pretty comfy. Make sure they find the trap door to retreat upstairs and escape much easier.

Create Bonfire
Goodberry
Detect poison
presditigiation
Speak with animals

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mans-
>level 1
Get some friends with the Survival skill, mate.

Suppose I have a level 4 (variant human) battle master fighter who has Crossbow Expert, and either the Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster feat, and used said feat to get a familiar.

He has his familiar drop caltrops on a square where there is an enemy, then uses trip attack to cause the enemy to fall down on the caltrops.

1. How much damage should that do since it's falling on several caltrops rather than stepping on one?
2. Given that the point where the damage is taken wouldn't necessarily be the feet, do they still lose 10 feet of movement speed?
3. How would you handle a pushing attack that knocks someone backwards so that they're standing in a space with caltrops on it?

1. Same one as if they'd stepped on them normally.
2. Maybe.
3. See item 1.

Wizards don't get Goodberry, Detect Poison, or Speak with Animals.

For point 2, would you roll it?

I'm working on making this character and want to know if the caltrop-dropping familiar is worth it.

I mean, he can also do shit like drop a flask of oil on them and then I push them back into a fire or something.

>an urban equivalent of the survival skill and outlander background, to represent how country bumpkins can easily get lost or have trouble finding services in a big city, while the slickest of city slickers never have such problems
Good or bad idea? Also, what do I call the skill and the background?

>I'm working on making this character and want to know if the caltrop-dropping familiar is worth it.
Mate it's 1d4 damage, there are better things to do with a feat.

Investigation and City Secrets?

Actually, is there any way a fairy familiar could help control a battlefield like that?

He got it right, Investigation and the Urchin background cover those well.

>1d4 damage
And -10 to move speed.

user, if you insist on using a small flying minion to control the battlefield, perhaps you should consider obtaining the Animal Handling skill and a falcon?

Help Action for Rogue / Pally / yourself
Ball bearings and Alchemist fire > caltrops
Cutting a rope for a premade trap (if you guys have the time).
Drop a container of grease on an enemy or a 5ft square.

I would restrict bullshit like that to a Chain Pact Warlock. A regular familiar is a very good scout and that's about it.

I'm worried that would make it too obvious

>make the longsword over the mantle magical

How magical though? I don't want them just barreling through the place with a magic sword. Say, like, +3 magic damage and it falls into rust once they leave the house with it?

I assume this is for the fights with the specter and the shadows since they resist non-magical, though it would obviously also be really beneficial in the other fights

Ehh, that's what my Bladedancer uses his Owl familiar for. I only played him for one session (ForeverDM) with a fairly inexperienced DM, and I don't think it broke anything. Then again, we were only lvl 4.

>I'm worried that would make it too obvious
>when he already has "Gunter Hafter" and "Ommana Hafter"

Magical enough that when put on a flat surface without being manipulated it will slowly swing around and point towards the north magnetic pole.
Also known as just-magical-enough-to-shit-on-resistances.

Sure, RAW that works. But it leads to huge imbalance when you have familiars granting perma-advantage.

Good point.

The other reason is that I'm basing him on Shane from The Walking Dead, and that's pretty much his catchphrase
youtube.com/watch?v=T-AqHL-buBs

I didn't pick the little shit.
She worships me as a hero and tries to help in any way she can.
DM gave her to me for helping a fairy village in a one-man adventure trip to the Feywild.
She sleeps in my chest pocket and I just can't leave her be useless when she wants to help so much, but DM doesn't allow her to attack directly.

The Grease might be useful.

Holy shit the put out the most laughable Unearthed Arcana yet.

Where?

Same place it always is. Here's the link.
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

It's just tables to random roll PCs.

>She worships me as a hero and tries to help in any way she can.
Next time you feel the need for a woman's company, get someone to cast an enlarge spell on her.

Familiars literally have potato for AC though, and usually if a PC emphasizes using their familiar that much, it does considerable morale damage as well. I'm pretty attached to lil Nebuchadnezzar.

unzips.bmp

Owl will constantly be out of reach of melee attacks. An attack/spell not directed at a PC can be a considerable boon, since the familiar can just be re-summoned after the fight.

>I'm pretty attached to lil Nebuchadnezzar.
You fool, that's what he wants you to feel.

I know....that's why I chose Owl. And as a ForeverDM, when I'm a player I completely understand the power of DM fiat.

My players are hired to enter an active mine of anti-magic crystals to get rid of an unknown and rather threat therein.

The "threat" is a Xorn (who should be quite a challenge for them).
He wont even be pissed at first, just pretty alien, so I kinda hope they aren't going to fight him.
He is going to glide to one of the PCs, grapple him, and eat his (non-magical amulet) though.

I don't know what to add before or after the encounter to make it funner.

I was going to make them fight a bunch of denizens fleeing from the Xorn, but that seems a bit too combat heavy (considering how they'll get there in the first place). Maybe they could rescue miners?

Help me Veeky Forums

>My players are hired to enter an active mine of anti-magic crystals to get rid of an unknown and rather threat therein.
RIP casters.

What are some good alternate titles for Wizard? I'm playing a Barbarian, and our Wizard acted super offended when I called him a Sorcerer. Was wondering if there were any other things I could bug him with.

A character that boils down to his or her race and powers is no character at all.

That's the joke.jpg

Why do you guys have this weird fixation on mechanics and fluff being totally separate? I can have a race that I find interesting, a class that I find fun and that doesn't magically remove my ability to roleplay.

Magician. Enchanter. Illusionist. Conjurer. Mage. Convoker. Magus. Summoner. Beguiler. Bedazzler. Mystic. Soothsayer. Arcanist. Pyromancer. Diviner. Ocultist. Seer. Warlock. Witch.

>joke
See, now that implies there was anything funny about it.

"Magician"

> So THIS is the magic trick!
> "Illusion", Michael. A "trick" is what a whore does for money... or cocaine.

I find the idea of a player wanting to be a Death Knight "because it's interesting" pretty hilarious in a sad way.

bless you based pdf user

If you can't roleplay a bogstandard race and class, make it interesting and have a fun time with it, then your ability to roleplay is questionable to begin with.

I've never been to this board before, but this seems like where I should ask this question.

I'm running a homebrew adventure tonight at 7 PM EST. I currently have a party of 3, but I'd prefer a party of 5. Would anyone like to join? Sorry this is last minute. We play on roll20 and will either have a discord server or skype group for communication.

>dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

hahaha. They didn't even bother saving as a pdf. They aren't even trying anymore.

That being said, this will be useful.

Magic-user. Bonus points if you use it for anyone that does anything seemingly magical ever.

How is that any different than players wanting to play a Holy Knight, or a Sacred Knight, or a Sword Saint, or a....Paladin.

My DM is relatively new and has taken the position that he doesn't want to memorize what our characters are capable of so that he cant plan against our characters strengths. He also doesn't pull his punches during a fight and roleplays the enemies he controlls. We also play on roll20 and all the rolls are in the open.

What are your thoughts on this style of DMing?

I have found it to be quite thrilling so far. Combat can be really intense and we've had some close calls and it really helps me get immersed in the game.

I couldn't do that!
My character is engaged!
To a princess!
His current quest is to win the good king's favor so he can marry her!

These guys confuse "roleplaying" with "fun table bantz with my buddies" as they sling dice at encounters.

They only play 5e over 3.pleasebuyallthesesplatbooks because its what their friends insist on playing.

yeah this is god awful

Sounds about right. He probably doesn't even memorize monster blocks and just makes it up as he goes along too.

>How is that any different than players wanting to play a Holy Knight, or a Sacred Knight, or a Sword Saint, or a....Paladin.

All of those classes lack THE EDGE of the Death Knight. Though they all share the common trait of generally being played in the most boring way possible.

Nigga are you for real?
Have you checked on the legals status of polygyny in the land?

>unearthed arcana
>random character generators
>can't set levels
>can't generate more than 4 classes
>not even a pdf

Wand Jockey

>polygyny
Having more than one gender?

When two weapon fighting for a fighter2/warlock x and having pact of the blade, only one of the two counts as your pact weapon right? So 1 magical rapier and another non magical rapier? Also is rogue 3/warlock 17 better for pact of the blade (due to assassinate and sneak attacks) than fighter 2/warlock 18?

>You should add races

Yeah that's pretty much the standard 5fag's excuse for lack of options. A race that is just a couple ability mods, a racial ability and some lore. That replaces new feats, new classes, etc. Then when they get called out on that being boring bullshit, they just point to 3.5 and say LOOK AT THAT YOU DON'T WANT SOMETHING LIKE THAT DO YOU??

Actually we do. We want a better version of 3.X. That's what you 5fags advertised this game as, only for it to be a watered down 4e with elements of AD&D in there to pander to OSR grognards (who don't even play 5e because guess what they are still playing?)

I think it's having more than one vagina.

Nah he definately goes by the MM

I'm a bit new to dnd.
Can I pick your brains?

Good old multi classing.
Sorcerer 6
Cleric 1

A player is saying they have access to their 4th level spell.

From what I can tell they get the slot but don't learn new spell as they are not lvl 7.

Wish a natural 1 on my next roll if you want

No, marrying more than one woman you dunces.

>Any tips for softening up the Death House?

Translation: My group is a bunch of pussies and tryhards who are new to D&D and are so spoiled by cotton-wall video games that they can't handle something that they can't grind their way through with their hands held by the GM. Absolutely disgusting. How about you just delete the entire adventure and run a mega dungeon where each room consists of 2 or 3 kobolds the party can beat up easily while beating themselves off under the table? Then mommy buys you a lolipop at the end to reward you after you get 3000 XP per kobold. I think something like that would be more to you and your group's speed and liking.

TLDR: Death house is perfectly fine, you're just a pussy faggot.

i would just start acting like hes your water boy and only exists for buffing you up, and then you step in and say "ok now let a real man handle this" or something

Ainsley I can't help it.
My joe Schmoe fighter in a party of wizards and sorcerers sends his days around the kingdom getting into mishaps while the bookish snobs do their spellweaving.

It's Polygamy, Ainsley. and I don't have the heart to ask DM man.

Quick, someone get this guy an obscure splatbook, so he can suck on the corner of it.

ss

>It's Polygamy, Ainsley. and I don't have the heart to ask DM man.
not that user but polygyny is a type of polygamy referring to a man having multiple wives specifically

Shit like this is why I'll never play D&D again

I play a ranger and try to do the one goddamn thing I can do which is wilderness survival. Ask the GM if there is a stream nearby so I can catch fish and gather water. Oh but the party just fucking creates water cause they are all casters and can do everything I can do except better.

Fuck 5e, it's the bastard child of 3.5 and none of the issues are fixed. Once again I am punished for playing a martial or skill-based character. I cannot even do something as mundane as COLLECTING FUCKING WATER without being overshined by the goddamn casters, let alone in combat. I try to hunt and they just summon food or something. Fuck it! Who cares! Why even try! I went back to playing a goddamn Wizard or Sorc just like everyone else who has a sense of balls in this goddamn game.

Huh, that's actually news to me.
Sorry Ainsley, I didn't know.
And thanks user.

>wasting their spells on create water and create food while there's a perfectly good ranger in the party
You friends are fucking idiots.

You are correct. They are level 7 and have the appropriate spellcasting progression of a level 7 full caster. They will have 4th level spell slots but no 4th level spells.

Quick, someone get this guy a shotgun, so he can blow his own brains out.

No, I am serious. Kill yourself. I would love to watch all of you commit suicide. I'd jack off to it on webcam.

I am so sick of you morons fellating Wizards of the Coast for releasing a shitty UA every month with little effort put into it. I could create better shit, except no one would play it because it's not official, and WotC jacked off the OGL because they realized that half the 3rd party publishers out there were better at game design than they were.

Wizards has it on easy mode and has ever since they bought TSR. They have the single most powerful RPG franchise ever in the palm of their hands. All they have to do is change the rules a bit and release a new edition every 10 years and win 500 ennie awards. Literally all 5e did was simplify 3.5 a bit and it was lauded because most of the RPG community are D&D players who've been beaten by the purple tiefling cock of 4e for the last 8 years and are grateful for anything else to play.

Literally any competent game designer out there would blow Wizards the fuck out of the water. But everyone just wants to play D&D, instead of the many far superior fantasy RPGs out there, including Dungeon World, Mouse Guard, FantasyCraft, and Torchbearer.

Hey Virt, still evading your ban I see.

astrologer clairvoyant conjurer diviner enchanter fortuneteller hypnotist magician magus necromancer
:deep breath:
occultist palmist seer shaman soothsayer thaumaturge warlock witch virtuoso
genie egghead whiz brains guru phenomenon artiste

Now take one and drop some adjectives and play it off of some wizardly action he takes while speaking full third person retarbarian

example, he just cast stink cloud on some orcs
"Smoke genie take their lungs, Grund take their heaaaaaaaaads!"

It's especially effective if the largest words in your vocabulary are terms that incorrectly label the wizard. Wizard just fireballed some orcs "Virtuoso of much burning. Grund impressed"

Also effective are simple, yet clearly wrong labels. Leomund's Tiny Hut? State "Witchcraft!" He casts fly? Shout "Fairy!"

Make his brain hurt.

>I have no friends to play with.
I'm so sorry user.
It must be hard being Tha/tg/uy.

He's not wrong that there are far better RPGs than DnD. The main thing DnD has going for it is that you can find games everywhere.