So I really want to get into the X-Wing mini's game...

So I really want to get into the X-Wing mini's game. I don't know what to buy really for maybe me and my friend to make two 100 point squadrons.

This is what I was thinking about getting:
Base Set
Millenium Falcon
Imperial Aces

Would this be enough for two 100 point squadrons? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can probably spend about 100 dollars or so if that helps you guys narrow it down.

Also, X-Wing Miniature game thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/1616615362/ref=ox_sc_act_image_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2P5I4NW0QQAX1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I got a bunch of X-Wing stuff the last time CSI was having a sale, enough to field 200+ pt squads per faction (Rebels and Imperials, I don't care about the Scum faction).

I would stick with the small ships at first, the large ships are more difficult to use. You need 3-5 ships per side to make a 100 pt squad, depending on 'quality' (TIE Defenders are awesome, but you can get 3 TIE Fighters for the same cost).

Honestly, everything can be useful--with the right upgrades, and unless you're going into competitive play, just buy the ships you like best. I would get a couple of dogfighters and a bomber per side.

No one I knows would really play this like I want to, which is both of us collect. When I got to FNM this week I'll see if someone is interested or already plays it.

I kind of wanna do tourneys, but I'd have to go all the way into Manhattan to do it. My thinking right now is to be able to field two 100 point tourney type squadrons so that I can play with people who come over that wouldn't normally be bothered to try it otherwise. The people I usually game with aren't interested in mini games (I really want Armada but can't afford it right now) at all, but will play them if they're there.

I'd say that you should start out aiming to make smaller (60 points is a pretty nice spot) lists with more variance. I'd say get the core set and two extra small ships for each faction. There isn't much of a "right" choice, it depends on your tastes in ships, but my personal recommendation would be something like... y-wing, a-wing, TIE interceptor and TIE bomber.

Also, whats CSI? Do you think the core set is worth getting?

You can't play the game without a core set, it's the only way to get a damage deck, firing ruler and movement templates. Also, be aware that there are currently two different core sets available.

CSI = CoolStuffInc, an online retailer of hobbyist games. If you live in the US and spend $100 you get free shipping on your order.

The prices of FFG products have gone up recently, from 33% off to just 25% off. Still cheaper than MSRP though.

And if you're not US, Amazon is pretty cheap, gives free shipping at somewhat less, and seems to also have an x-wing sale.

Honestly, a core set pf either variety, there are two, I prefer the blue 2nd one myself because it has updated rules in it and a handy rules reference book, and both the Imperial Aces and Rebel Aces packs will give you both some decent 100 pts squads with fiddle room.

Imperial Aces can also be subbed for the new Imperial Veterans box easily as well.

I recommend checking out Massdrop whenever a new set is announced. Every now and then they'll have a bundle up for cheap, usually when new stuff is coming out.

I'd get a core set (either), then don't buy more than one of anything until you're into it enough to know what to get. If you want two tie defenders, for example, get one from the blister and the other from Imperial Veterans.

So Core + TIE Interceptor + Imperial Aces gives you three interceptors and two tie fighters. I can run decent lists from that all day long. Add a phantom or lambda shuttle for variety.

Core + Y wing + Z95 + Most Wanted is a tidy start on a scum list. HWK or Slave One as an upgrade.

Core + Xwing + a or b wing + Rebel Aces could snare you several good lists. Add a large ship like a YT freighter.

You can field a hundred good if not super-optimized points for $70 this way (core plus a 2-3 fighter box from MiniaturesMarket). What you don't want to do is fall into the trap of buying a whole bunch of one thing. Jump masters are the spammables right now. Resist the temptation, the meta changes and it's better to have a broad range than to have loaded up on one thing.

Once you've been playing for a few months you'll know if you want to buy multiples.

If you want to play with another person you're going to want 2 core sets so you have some spare dice, a second damage deck and a second range ruler.

For ships after that grab whatever suites your fancy, though if you're going to get imperial aces you're going to want a standalone interceptor (for Soontir, "fuck I can't hit this piece of shit" Fel, and a starviper for autothrusters, which are an auto include on those).

Thanks for the tips!

Well I kind of want Imperial just to have one to play against but with decent units. What I really, really want to run after listening to all the advice here is a Squadron based around Dash Rendar and the Outrider. Any suggestions for a squadron that would compliment the Outrider?

>If you want to play with another person you're going to want 2 core sets so you have some spare dice, a second damage deck and a second range ruler.

Wait, what? This is highly redundant, there's no need for doubles if you're playing casual games at home.

Having two core sets actually does help a lot, even if you're just buying them for yourself. You'll have 6 of each dice (about the max you need), two sets of tenplates, and twice the ships. Some of the cards will be redundnant, but overall it's actually a really good deal. Just 2 Tie Fightes and an X-Wing by themselves are $45.

I can se it being worth if you want the extra ships, sure. If it's just about the dice there are separate somewhat overpriced butt still vastly cheaper dicepacks available. I don't get what the point of having extra maneuver templates and damage cards is.

Sharing templates can get tedious. And the extra damage deck helps so that one person doesn't end up (by chance) with all the direct hits. Usually the best bet is to get both core sets, regular and TFA. Besides getting both damage decks, you also get both X-Wing and Tie Fighter types, pilots for both that you don't get in the expansion packs, and upgrade cards from both (BB-8, R2-D2 both being prime reasons if you go rebels/resistance).

I have three core sets and holy shit all those dice and movement templates feels fucking luxury.

Two core sets, X expansion and TIE expansion. Would be my recommendation to start.

You can branch out from there with whatever you think your game needs. For me that was Interceptors. Lots of.

Can the Slave one also be used as an Imperial ship? Is it a good match with TIEs? It seems like in this builder I'm using that the base Slave One you can get is actually usable in both Scum and Imp builds just the ability is different. Since I want to use Dash in my main build as Rebels I want to give my buddy the ability to have an iconic ship too and I also eventually want to use Boba in my Imp build.

I was looking at this: amazon.com/gp/product/1616615362/ref=ox_sc_act_image_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2P5I4NW0QQAX1

Whichever core set you buy, just plan on eventually getting the other. It doesn't need to be anytime soon.

I was thinking of buying TFA and normal core set + Dash Rendar + Slave 1 + Imperial and Rebel Aces

Would this be a good base to start with to have options for both Imp and Reb? I want to do some tourneys when I get a chance.

Also if someone can answer I would appreciate it!

Again thanks for all the tips guys.

The Slave 1 is by default an imperial ship. You need to buy the Most Wanted expansion to get Scum pilots for it.

Yes. Hence my recommendations. The most wanted box includes cards for using minis you already own as pirates: Y, Z, HWK and Slave One. Hence my recommendations. This way, you buy a scum list and you've got the models to play a nice rebel list.

To answer your question directly, Slave One is an imperial ship. Most Wanted includes cards that let you use the Slave One model you already own as a scum ship instead.

The HWK is a rebel ship, and Most Wanted includes cards for that, too, to make it scum.

Most Wanted includes a Ywing and two Z95s, but enough cards that if you own another Y or Z that you can squeeze those other models into your squadron.

A typical squadron is 3-4 ships. With expensive ships like the Outrider or TIE Defender, you might only have two very nice ships on the table. Swarms have more ships, obviously.

So a cheap way to get to 100 points is to buy ships that are expensive in points like the TIE Defender, or can be heavily tricked out with upgrade cards. The very expensive way to do it is to load up on duplicate expansion packs of one ship like the TIE fighter.

And that's why I recommend not buying the same expansion twice if you can avoid it. You get more variety of pilots, cards, and upgrades for the same model, and often upgrades packaged with one model are useful with another. I'd avoid buying a bunch of the same thing, and very much avoid buying expansions just for the supposedly must-have upgrades inside. Not for purely casual games between newbies. If you get into the tournament scene, I can see buying a StarViper just for the autothrusters, but not just for having fun at a friend's house and certainly not if you're trying to get maximum fun for your money.

X-wing is a very cheap game to get into. You can drop a lot of money into it trying to optimize for tournaments or lists du jour, but basic fun cheap lists do surprisingly well even on the tournament scene.

That's way more than enough!

I'd suggest if you do Imperial Aces that since it's two Interceptors, you buy the TIE Interceptor pack with it. Maximum options.

If you do Rebel Aces, then buy an Awing and a Bwing. Same reason.

Don't do both Aces boxes at once. Do one or the other, ONE core set, and play with those and see what you like before going further. The YT2400 is a very solid ship-- I usually recommend people start with the Millennium Falcon because it's so iconic from the movies, but the Outrider is great on the tabletop and has its own cool history.

I've seen Outrider paired with a single X wing (usually Wedge or Poe) do very well in tournaments once you have the hang of playing. It's a surprisingly skill-based game. That's only two boxes of minis.

Also, don't sell basic X-wings and TIEs short. A single one of each gets you to two Xs and 3 TIEs, plus upgrades that come with it that you can use for all kinds of other things.

Xwing is not like 40k where you need to make a huge front-end commitment just to start playing. You can buy a core set and a few fighters and decide what you like and what you think you need as you go along.

You also don't get overwhelmed with options while you're still learning.

Finally, if you play at a FLGS, it's polite to buy a mini every couple times you go. Essentially helping pay for the play area. I go once a week, and buy a mini once every two weeks or so. But you'd be surprised how fast that builds up to a very nice collection.

The starviper is pretty fun to fly, for Sum though.

Tie defenders aren't that expensive. Or at least not now as the new, very good, titles encourage taking cheaper builds.

Not swarm cheap, but you don't stack them up into almost 50 pts. Two defenders can easily leave you points for one to two more ships

Is there anywhere decent to buy cards? I'm just getting into it and I'm not too keen on getting a ship I'd never use just for one card.

There are some places, but the prices I've seen are in the $1 to $2 range usually. Luckily there are only a few cases where you have to buy a ship to get "gud cards". The Raider is the most offensive of these, as Palpatine and the good Tie Advanced cards come in there (Tie x1 title and Adv. Targeting Computer). After that would probably be the Starviper for Autothrusters, followed closely by Tantive IV for C3P0 (not as important anymore), or the rebel transport for Wes and some nice astromech options. Then you've got Engine Upgrade, one of the most useful mods, found only in the Millenium Falcon (2) and Hounds Tooth kits (1). Veteran Instincts is in Slave-1, TLT is in the K-Wing, and Guidance Chips and Extra Munitions are found in various newer kits (K-Wing, Punisher, Punishing One, Tie Advanced Prototype).

Generally speaking, you don't need all of them. And some of the funnest ships I've flown have proven to be ones thst I picked up just for cards. For example, I really dig the Millenium Falcon now, and I was adamant against playing it (it was everywhere). Likewise I grabbed Mist Hunter (G-1A) just for Cloaking Device and Tractor Cannon, and now the ship is one of my favorites.