What's a good system to portray quick, agressive combat like in Bloodborne...

What's a good system to portray quick, agressive combat like in Bloodborne? I'm looking for something that values fast and decisive play over tanking, or at least gives dexterity based characters a fighting chance.

My go-to system for anything swords, Pendragon, is too tanky and armor-based. I tried Nechronica, but I don't quite know if that's what I want.
Bonus points if it can handle giant bosses.

D&D with a sandglass.

RuneQuest 6/Mythras

......That might just work....?

The fuck you talkin' about?

Hourglass

GURPS with default (gritty realism) settings. In fact, the lethality is usually a major criticism of the system.

Good job explaining yourself further.

Holy shit nigger he means to play DnD with a restriction on time of your turn to make combat go faster

I'm actually tanking a look at Runequest, and it seems pretty good.

Feng Shui 2

that works better for a system like ORE or unknown armies where there's not a half hour of rolling on top of figuring out stats and bonuses.

I don't know, but if you hate your players, make them fight this guy.

D&D is lightning fast if you play old editions though (B/X or earlier, AD&D can get as fast if you aren't using splats). Your turn comes up, you roll your attack or cast a spell, and that's it. It might not necessarily be as satisfying, though.

try Legend of the 5 rings
it's hard to get the full idea of it's lethality from the reading rather than playing, but it isn't really possible to be built to tank more than several hits unless you're a crab beserker

What's the better edition of L5R for quick combat, or is there a noticeable difference?

Also, how is it for homebrewing?

most editions have a similar lethality, except the time where it was converted to the d20 system which many take to be something of an abortion
The latest (4e) is a well polished system which mainly changed in terms of skill perks between 3e and 4e. They're otherwise similar and I'd say 4 is the go-to. Duelling changed between the editions as well.

It's moderately homebrewable.
It's steeped in it's setting, which is a big hurdle to get around if transplanting the setting (you'll need to translate not only the concept of sword schools but the idea of the courtier class, though it's doable)

nah hes easy m8

I'd recommend Savage Worlds or Strike!, depending on your level of simulationism boner.

in 5e have the party play nothing but assasin multiclasses,

I guarantee the game will devolve into something resembling metal gear solid pretty damn quick.

>There are people who struggled with BCoC

All you had to do was parry.

Yeah, but what if OP wants Revengeance instead?

This hurts me.

One Roll Engine.

You could do a Bloodborne game so easily with ORE that the only reason it hasn't been done yet is that it's not a well known system.

I actually had a similar idea to make combat quick and skill based, based on this and something else.

Besides putting a "speed chess" style time limit on how long you have to think in combat turns, I was thinking of also having people play a quick 3-second reflex/execution/timing testing mini-game (think something like WarioWare) on a PC in order to block/parry/dodge attacks, with the difficulty based on the difficulty of the save.

Basically make combat "skill based" ala a vidya, while keeping all the important role play stuff and choice making table top bound.

Game needed more normal weapons.

Never heard of it. Will try. Very thank

>any edition of dnd is easy if you are not a fucking simpleton
ftfy

>someone tries to use Turn Undead
>5 weeks later
>"...and the fifth zombie on the right poofs into dust."

>turn undead
>these undead are within your range
>roll for each of them, and see if they are turned or not

Assuming you learned how to count, this shouldn't take more than a few seconds at most.

What type of sub humans do you play with that do not know mechanics of their class, much less a mechanic that is not complicated by any means for someone with a public high school education?

is it possible for people to learn to play D&D? yes.

does that mean it's the easiest, fastest system? no.

it's not really that hard to understand the goals here. don't go out of your way to pretend to be stupid so that you can call someone else stupid.

3.5 and 3.PF, combat is usually over in 2 rounds. Of course, those 2 rounds usually take much longer to resolve because of how fucking slow the system is, but whatever.