I'm a god damn weeb, and I seriously need some animu game, has anything been seen to completion in past couple years?

I'm a god damn weeb, and I seriously need some animu game, has anything been seen to completion in past couple years?
I mainly want an Eureka Seven RPG or something, where people are both in and out of mechs during their sessions. Where mech's are only used for missions or exploration.

> Mekton Zero
Abandoned. (3 years no progress.)
> Double Cross
Abandoned. (I own the books and it kills me I will never experience everything.)
> Meikyuu Kingdom
Abandoned/Half-finished? (He finished translation years ago, I'd gladly pay him money if it would help him get an official release..)
> Grancrest
Abandoned/Half-finished? (Great translation but I'm only left with enough content to play murderhobo sessions.)
> Log Horizon
Abandoned/Half-finished (Same as Grancrest, but this is super playable, it just eats me up that I want the whole game and not 30%.)
> Valkyria Chronicles
Abandoned. (So close, and then abandoned right at the end.)
> To aru rpg
Abandoned. (Played it tons, it had a sound system but most powers don't have any rules like friction while other powers have limitations and we're missing half the content.)

Props to VeloCity.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hb0SglHO218
gimmicklabs.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html
tk31.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html
community.memrise.com/t/course-forum-suggested-guide-for-japanese-literacy-sgjl-course-series/1100
drivethrurpg.com/product/82258/Chris-Perrins-Mecha
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not that I've seen OP.

Have a song.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hb0SglHO218

Ok, I'll make one myself. Let me gather some ideas, then ask community what should be in the game and I'll try a shot at it.

I'll need links to principles to making a fun RPG, etc. Expect something later in the day likely tomorrow though, but I doubt many people will reply.

Can I rip off from games that never got finished? A lot had really good ideas for RPG's. (Which is why ppl back them on kickstarter.)

Use the links in the OP and enjoy.

BCG - gimmicklabs.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html
GGG - tk31.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html

These games kind of try to simulate a Super Robot Wars type of game. They're relatively easy rules, especially BCG. GGG is a little more technical, but not by much.

You don't need a god damn japanese RPG to run an animu game.

Why not just use GURPS or Savage Worlds?

Yeah Battle Century G was the first thing that sprang to mind when I read OP. It's main distinction from other shit is being a mecha *genre* game, more so than a mech game. It focuses on the sort of stuff that would happen in a mecha show. It's also simple enough to play fast and be understood by mortals.

Also, active development, expansion book released this month, etc.

Not OP
what system can you use to play Psycho Pass?

Psychopass is an interesting one to ask about, primarily because the PC's main weapons literally never miss, and independently decide their damage profile based on target, and the only granularity in the end result is hit locations. Notably also, is that sanity and character aspects such as being a bit of a kleptomaniac are easily viewed as an actual number.

Personally I would use Dark Heresy 2.0 with some fiat-based modifications.

Thank you, kind man

I played deadlands for savage worlds as a player, never GM'd. What supplements were you thinking about?

No, but I still enjoy them much more.
Preferences.

I'll give this a shot, maybe there's a review or maybe one of you can give sample explanations on things.

>I played deadlands for savage worlds as a player, never GM'd. What supplements were you thinking about?

Just deluxe edition + there's that fan supplement from the savage armory guy I don't recall the name of... Savage Armory itself is a pretty good start for weeb weaponry.

Also, I really like Strike! for shounen inspired stuff.

Essentially, it's a d10 system that adds one of your 6 stats straight to the roll depending on whatever you're rolling for. Pilots get Traits and Skills that grant/negate advantages and a few Attacks to give them more in combat or take them from the enemy. The same for the most part works for Mecha, but they operate on an energy resource system that make them quite a bit more versatile.
Generally, without advantages or disadvantages, you are rolling your primary combat stat vs the enemy's defensive stat+5, and any excess damage dealt is subtracted from their Plot Armor for pilots and Threshold for Mecha. Each one has layers, and when a pilot's plot armor is gone they're mentally damaged in some way, and mecha get a body part blown off and the weapons/upgrades on that part unusable until it's restored.

GGG operates similarly, just with Evasion added to the mix and less streamlined mechanics for certain weapons.

I've GMed both systems, and overall I prefer BCG over GGG for the simplicity. The only real downside I can say is if the game lasts a long while, BCG characters tend to become less specialized due to the lack of actual upgrades there is, while GGG becomes a little more like rocket tag, but that's maybe if you hit one of the last arcs in your game.

cthulhutech o_-

But Eureka Seven was shit

>if the game lasts a long while, BCG characters tend to become less specialized due to the lack of actual upgrades

To be fair, this is potentially mitigated by the extra laundry list of shit to play with in the BCG expansion that just dropped. You could toss it into the ring mid-game to add some diversity.

Like I said, it's just from my experiences. It didn't help that we were doing 5xp per session since we were wanting to try out the combat and blaze through the campaign.

Yeah, from my own (much shorter presumably) experience running a campaign at that rate for 5 sessions, the PCs snowball quicker than seems to make sense as someone who isn't a PC. Like, you think to yourself "They can buy one relatively weak new weapon with that, what's the worst that could happen?" and 1 session later they're flying 30 squares across the map skewering every grunt on the battlefield onto their lance like some kind of mechanical shish-kebab and you honestly thought it was going to be a challenging fight for the PCs prior to this.

>log horizon
This had some really different ideas.

One of these days i need to read through it again and list of the original elements to see about implementing them in homebrew.

But i hear you. I've been thinking about getting back into learning Japanese, and Japanese tabletop is the main reason why.

Log horizon, plus arianrhod, plus alshard.

At the end of the day i may not end up even looking them, but they look like daily original games in that they seem very different from Western tabletop

It was always like this. It got to a point where to have any decent challenge I had to use Rivals. In GGG there was option for slightly stronger mooks and some flexibility for stopping certain builds from being horrendously overpowered. Sometimes I wish Gimmickman would have expanded on IT versus trying to appeal for a more casual audience.

community.memrise.com/t/course-forum-suggested-guide-for-japanese-literacy-sgjl-course-series/1100

If this is something to go by, you can get super far over the course of 2 years.

The issue with the games you listed is that they're all made with Japan's equivalent of the d20 system, with all the half-bakedness that comes with it.

Is there another system that would do log horizon better than log horizon rpg?

D&D 4e with a couple of tweaks on top of the mandatory fixes, I guess.

The thing is, Hate is an interesting mechanic, it just isn't well thought out.
Nor are a lot of the Skills. Take Castle of Stone, for example: It is supposed to be a tank skill, but what it does is more or less remove the tank from the game for a turn.

>The thing is, Hate is an interesting mechanic, it just isn't well thought out.

I'm interested. Could you give a quick rundown?

Maybe a mecha only tenra basho zero?

PCs accumulate Hate when they use certain skills.
The PC(s) with the highest Hate takes extra damage from successful attacks equal to their Hate times the enemy's Hate Multiplier.
All other PCs have a +2 bonus to their dodge checks.

So assuming the Tank has the highest Hate, it mitigates their high HP while everyone else is harder to hit, providing a good incentive. But if they accumulate too much Hate, they suddenly have the endurance of a wet paper tissue.

Heard about this, has anyone actually tried it? I tried finding players for months and couldn't recruit anyone.

I really don't like Tenra Bansho Zero's death system.

So if you're in a mecha, and it explodes we're just going to assume you end up unconscious? While that's very anime, that really limits the story if players are immune to fail.

If there's an end of the world scenario and the PC's actually fail to defeat the BBEG, they get to live?

Or when PC's invade his headquarters and lose the battle, he's just going to spare them... even if they fail a second time, and 3rd time?

I mean it's not my job to kill the players, but the believability of being able to survive anything no matter what happens in the plot is absurd.

Ah, so really it's more Aggro than Hate.

Yes, but the Japanese original used the English word "hate" for that mechanic, so that's what the fan translation stuck with.

>and it explodes we're just going to assume you end up unconscious? While that's very anime, that really limits the story if players are immune to fail.

They can still fail, they just don't die during the fail. They can still end up kidnapped as POWs or locked up in a prison.

That's pretty cool, I wonder how the math works out behind it.

To my knowledge, TBZ's health system lets players determine where damage is applied. Vitality based damage knocks you out, yeah, but if they want to escalate (get more dice), they have to set the damage to wound boxes instead. One of those is the death box; if the player chooses to check that off, 0 vitality becomes death. It's more of a player-determined lethality - if you provide them with a situation where they want to risk death for the dice bonuses, it's still ultimately their choice.

Double Cross is fully translated. Tokyo Nova got a release recently, and there's also Ryuutama for a very different kind of game.

As to the thing about D20 - many systems use the FEAR standard 2d6. Double Cross, Night Wizard, Tokyo Nova, and Log Horizon among them.

Figured I'd double check and save you the trouble. TBZ has a reverse death spiral, because players allocate incoming damage. Taking wounds is about risking long term consequences or death to get lodes e dice in the short term.

As a general note, the japanese TRPG thread has a huge MEGA cache. If one's not up, you should be able to find the link on the archives.

Double Cross uses d10 dice pools and Tokyo Nova uses a deck of regular playing cards.

For what its worth, Adeptus Evangelion has several versions so that is one Veeky Forums people did complete. Several times. With drama!

But anyway, if you want a simple mech system which is easily moddable I'd say look up MECHA by Heroic Journey Publishing.

drivethrurpg.com/product/82258/Chris-Perrins-Mecha

Might not be up to your taste, however but I'm putting it up there nonetheless.

Right. That was misleading; DC and TN both still use some of FEAR's mechanics in how they template abilities and structure sessions and combat, but they have separate resolution systems.

Does Exalted count?

What about their nontactical combat.

That seemed neat.

Yeah, its aggro. I can only imagine they call it hate in japan for some reason. So it doesn't have anything to do with who they target, it has to do with how much damage is done?

>nontactical combat
I'm sorry, what?

>I can only imagine they call it hate in japan for some reason.
See It has to do with who they target, because the tank takes the most damage.

From the partial translation:

'The character with the highest Hate in the party at any given time is considered
[Hate Top]. If characters are tied for highest Hate, then they are all
[Hate Top]. A character who has the [Hate Top] condition takes extra damage
any time they are attacked and fail their [Dodge Check]. In addition to the
regular damage of the attack, they take direct damage equal to [(The [Hate Top]
current Hate) x (the enemy's Hate Multiplier)]. This additional damage is known
as Hate Damage. Each enemy's Hate Multiplier is listed in their stats.

Characters who are not [Hate Top] are known as [Hate Under]. If a [Hate Under]
character is targeted by an enemy's attack, they enjoy a +2 bonus to their
[Dodge Check]. In this way, the GM is encouraged to attack the [Hate Top].
However, it should be noted there is NO obligation to attack the [Hate Top].
Hate is a mechanic of incentives, not of hard rules.'

So?

Well I mean I was requesting not just a mecha rpg, but one where you can have a decent plot even without the mechs in it. Mech's should be used for big missions and exploration. But there's times where story demands you not being in a mech, it's not like you live in it.

Need non-mech mechanics.

ANIMA: BEYOND FANTASY

You forgot the sci-fi companion breh, has mechs and monoswords

I've been working on a D20 Anime RPG called Hiragana No Sentai. It's basically the Anime/Manga series that I'll never write.

Basically, a massive meteorite is going to crash in to earth, destroying all life on the planet. Scientists blast it in to more manageable chunks, but this causes small. Fragments to enter the atmosphere.

The fragments are of made of a bizarre substance that gives human life forms a wide range of powers. It goes a lot deeper than that, but I don't bore anyone with the details.

I'm basing the game out of the Mutants and Masterminds rules.