In this game, you can do anything! Your imagination is the limit!

>In this game, you can do anything! Your imagination is the limit!

Okay, I charge the goblins, swinging at one with my sword and knocking the other out of the way with my shield!

>Sorry, you can only make one attack per round.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Ribbon
redlife.deviantart.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Yegd3YpjmWY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm going to tackle the troll.

>That's not realistic. Trolls are huge and you're human-sized.

That's why you summon hordes of shit to attack for you or use AoE effects.

>AoE effects
Whelp I'm a dumb.

im taking the bait here, but "for 100$ what is the shield master feat"

when i read the rulebook

Who drew this comic? hahaha I really like his artstyle and would love to know.

Sorry for wanting to be spoon fed, but the art is simply amazing and relates to my kind of demographic perfectly.

Play OSR

No really

Uses the same core rules as DnD, but no bullshit feats or skill lists, less HP bloat, less caster supremacy and better rules on how the players are interacting with the game world instead of reading their numbers off a sheet.

But if course you'd know this if you'd stop making this thread and shitposting.

I know this is just bait, but that's a shitty example. Every game is going to have some sort of cap on actions per round.

If you want a real example of how D&D fails to deliver on "In this game, you can do anything! Your imagination is the limit!", there are better examples out there.

>Player: I wanted to play a knight that can jump super far like in old epic myths/JRPGS/my chinese cartoons/whatever.
>GM: Okay then, you'll have to start as this casting class, take these specific feats, and then pick up this prestigue class from an obscure supplement. You should be able to play the character you want to at around level... six, I'm estimating.
>Player: ...
>GM: Y'know, if the game lasts that long anyway!

Most infuriating shit ever.

Or, treat the shield like an improvised weapon, or one the character is proficient in, and let them attack with it as a bonus action (as per the rules for dual wielding), have it deal 1+ STR or some shit.

Or OP can just make a post complaining. At least maybe it bumped a quest thread off.

Wow, that's a first.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Ribbon

I hope the dude that made those is happy now.

When did you realize that "when did you realize" is the worst debate format?

>I wanna play a knight that can do X
>You're going to want to start as caster Y then take A, B, C and D.
So glad I left D&D.

to be fair, caster supremacy wasn't such an issue in 2e either
It's speeding up spellcasting to ungodly levels that fucked everything (and putting everyone on the same xp track and making concentration checks a joke an removing negative repercussions from spelss and taking away the Fighter's nice things and... fuck)

Sounds like you just don't like games with rules, OP, since you described pretty much every tabletop in existence, not just DnD.

I know some kids over at deviantart who would love to play with you, I'm sure your super special half-dragon vampire with dual katanas and blood magic would fit right in.

Actually, 90% of systems would let him do it. Just with a penalty.

SHE is on deviantart under the name of 'Redlife'.
Link will follow.

>Okay, I charge the goblins, swinging at one with my sword and knocking the other out of the way with my shield!

Pic related: Have you tried not having a shit GM? Or better yet, why not take in the -3 AC penalty since you've just bared yourself to the goblins?

Also, who would use their shield to knock a goblin back, if there are more than two of them? Are you expecting that your armour will save you? Fuck.

>sage because just in case this is a troll. Else, I'm not sure how someone can be so fucking stupid.

> plays a game
> is surprised it is a game

Here's the link.
redlife.deviantart.com/

Entirely possible in 5e.

You can't swing a sword like OP described in OSR because again it is a limiting system based on bullshit.

What OP wants is Dungeon World. It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of

these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and

innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

Can somebody check if the OP and this guy is the same person? It's feeling like virt is getting desperate.

Not every game is high level with infinite spell slots.

>I know some kids over at deviantart who would love to play with you, I'm sure your super special half-dragon vampire with dual katanas and blood magic would fit right in.

It's funny you'd say that considering how Pathfinder allows you to do exactly that as a legitimate character option.

>What OP wants is Dungeon World. It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there.

I too like to wear my pants on my head.

Blah blah blah shot posting blah blah dungeon world blah blah wahhhhhh blah blah virtualoptim

In D&D, the penalty is called "getting good", i.e., being high enough level.

>Answering pic
When I found out Rifts is worse, and decided to play that instead.

>Every drawing is the exact same head and hair shape.

Is she autistic?

Why would you expect to get everything you want at the gate? I don't think any game does that

GURPS does, if you want your game to start at a high power level. HERO too.

Well, then, so does D&D, if you just make your campaign start at a higher level than 1st. So what's the point?

Exactly. What's the point of every one of these threads, when all of us could change anything we want in these systems? Every rpg ever says to change the rules if we don't like them. So why do we keep arguing over a non-issue?

Maybe you're just looking at the same characters a lot.

The problem here isn't that something is great. It's that you have to go trough stupid loops RAW to get there. Which usually means
>Caster
>Caster
>Caster

Well you got that right.

The more levels you have, the less viable options you have as a martial to overcome threats beyond just hitting with your weapon until they die.

For mages, it's the opposite.

You mean Craig?

Hi Craig.

>The more levels you have, the less viable options you have as a martial to overcome threats beyond just hitting with your weapon until they die.

I fail to see the problem with having a fighter think on his feet.

Numerous heroes in mythology were great warriors as well as quite cunning.

Pretty sure I'm not.

I think you may be exaggerating a little.

I realized D&D 3.5 was garbage back in 2005-2006 when I decided it was time to start a new campaign, and I looked at my houserule binders and saw the stack of binders was taller than my stack of actual 3.5 rulebooks.

I never got to play 4e, and was content to watch the battle from the outside.

I realized Pathfinder was garbage after running a campaign of it from level 1 to level 15, wherein I realized Paizo fixed absolutely none of the problems that 3.5 had. Not only did Paizo exacerbate those problems, they introduced entirely new problems unique to Pathfinder.

I'm actually enjoying 5e a lot. It's not perfect, but I like it.

There's a difference between getting everything you want at chargen and playing something totally unrelated to your character concept for the majority of the campaign (because lets face it, almost no campaign gets to mid/high level unless it starts there).

Can you really not comprehend a system where someone can play a dude with a cool ability that's still level one? If a level one wizard can still manipulate reality and a level one cleric can still call down miracles from the gods themselves, my level one fighter should be able to do a cool trick like jumping really high.

This isn't "WAAHH MY LEVEL ONE CHARACTER IS LEVEL ONE WHY CANT I CAST INFINITE METEOR AND KILL GODS," this is "Why the fuck do I have to play a sorcerer for three levels when I want to be playing a fighter?"

Funny you bring that up, because that's one of my more liked systems at the moment, because I totally can build a low-power starting character that still fits my theme. A starting adventurer can still take Super Jump; they don't have to jump through bullshit and arbitrary hoops forever before the system deigns to give me an ability I should have had from the get go.

This has nothing to do with starting power levels and everything to do with starting *character options*.

you know you can do this in 5e with the shield master feat right

When I felt dread about leveling up.

Or even worse, making a new character was too much of a hassle.
One night my character died and I thought "cool" now I can make this new character I have been thinking about.
But then looking through the book for feats, skills, and all of the bull shit about making a new character I almost just up and left to go home.
I ended up fudging my way through character gen (albiet very underpowered) just to get back in the game without making a scene.

Redlife is a she? Who knew.

Is she cute?

That doesn't refute anything I said. try responding to my points in an adult fashion, or get the fuck out.

Again, has nothing to do with my argument. Keep playing D&D, though, and ignoring the dozens of better games out there.

Fuckheads.

>I looked at my houserule binders and saw the stack of binders was taller than my stack of actual 3.5 rulebooks.

That's your fault for coming up with so many autistic houserules though.

What's ironic here is that this is one of the few playstyle mismatches that could actually be helped by Dungeon World and yet the allegedly pro-DW shitposters would rather shitpost than actually suggest DW

Hey Craig. Why don't you go for a walk.

Leave the vodka bottle home, take some water instead. Don't want to see you die from liver failure so soon.

You have a long, long career of acting like a retard on the internet ahead of you, if you play your cards right.

>I fail to see the problem with having a fighter think on his feet.

Because nothing you choose to do is as viable as swinging at something until it dies.

>Numerous heroes in mythology were great warriors as well as quite cunning.

Numerous heroes also weren't hamstrung by the RAW either. Plus, magic allows for way more creativity than being a martial simply due to how many options and exploits it allows by RAW.

>needing a feat to hit someone with a fucking shield.
shit like this and the community is why I dropped D&D,

Yet the most common solution that 3.PFags spout is "lul, you don't HAVE to play by RAW, just houserule it."

I mean, there are websites that have more houserules for 3.X than Skyrim has for mods, and that's saying something.

Except we are suggesting Dungeon World? You're the one who thinks it's shitposting. Dungeon World is FAR better than AD&D and mimicks AD&D's style with far superior rules and mechanics.

Who the fuck is Craig?

It's you. Craig. Remember? The fat loser with gore fantasies? The one who got banned from his LGS (where he also worked at)? The guy whose group dissolved around him because he's toxic as shit? The guy slowly but surely sliding down the slippery slope of alcoholism? Who is facing imminent liver failure, but needs the glass to not just off himself, because his life is in shambles and he has to work at fucking subway to make ends meet? The Craig who is failing his studies, and at best will be an assistant manager at a Subway in his 50's? Whose only joy in life is trying to troll imageboards but being so fucking obvious the best replies he get are a resounding "meh", no matter how retarded he pretends to be?

It's you, Craig.

You pitiful creature.

>all this effort
Why are you wasting your time?

>Why can't I just narrate what my character does in every situation?

Because that's not roleplaying, it's storytelling. And no one wants to hear about how your character did everything right and suffered no setbacks.

I honestly find it fun.

That's really not something to be proud of

Do you not have a group you can roleplay with? or mini's to be painting?

It's because you know you hate it.

Imagine if they argued "My houseruled game is better than your game." What are you going to do? What can you possibly grasp at when they take the game to what you call unfair subjectivity, but what everyone else considers just normal gaming?

Nothing. And that makes you feel powerless.
So, you argue that the only way people are allowed to play is by RAW, because, ultimately, you're a troll.

>My houseruled game is better than your game
I mean, not to brag, but mine is.

I'm not, I guess. But this is an anonymous image board, I don't have to be proud here.

Besides, it's better than pretending to be retarded/arguing with someone pretending to be retarded. Not any more productive, admittedly.

I just let out some steam at some guy who wants to paint himself as a target anyway (or someone who is close enough).

I mean, what's the point with arguing with trolls? Finding creative ways to call them losers is way more entertaining.

You don't realize how retarded you're being right now, do you?

Not right now. Probably going to sleep in less than an hour anyway.

At least it's my own honest retardation instead of pretend retardation.

That doesn't make it better user. It still means you're retarded.

Go to bed, let's hope the hangover doesn't ruin your day tomorrow.

>One round is 6 seconds
You're a fucking dumbass, try swinging a sword in real life you dickhead.

In reality you just have no imagination and are projecting your own fat ass failures.

>I'm a terrible fighter in real life, therefore a PC is too.
Care to tell me why you can't treat a shield as an off hand weapon? And why you can't make a combat maneuver with that off handed weapon?

Yeah but I'm retarded because I honestly enjoy being a bit retarded to let some of my annoyance at a stupid troll out, instead of "pretending" to be retarded because I want to make people upset and then laugh at them pointing out how retarded I am.

PS.: I'm on a low carb diet. No alcohol for me. But you are right, I should probably sleep.

Making houserules for one or two specific details is fine.

Making houserules because the vanilla game is broken is not.

And before that one fag comes in here to bitch about people not giving 3.X its "fair due," let me ask which is better.

A game that's properly made and works right out the box to provide an experience for you and your friends that you were looking for or a game that's so broken due to the incompetence of the staff that its community had to band together to fix most of the bullshit just so it worked as originally intended, which only helps you if you're aware of said fixes in the first place?

To put it another way, would you rather play FFVI or would you rather play Skyrim?

>sages but doesn't sage
wew lad

I'm an unfit fag who does sword shit just to LARP from time to time and I can still cut tatami rolls at least once per second.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yegd3YpjmWY

You really think it's one attack per 6s in real life?

>In this game, you can do anything! Your imagination is the limit!

That's wrong though and you shouldn't tell new players that. It sets expectations too high and it only leads to disappointment when ideas are constrained by virtue of it being a game.

Guys guys, he just assumes that every saber is as heavy as a fantasy greatsword.

Your argument is hollow and built on vague definitions of broken.

Basically, you just hate it when you point at a flaw, and people go "that? I don't play with that."

You hate that people can dismiss your complaints as negligible or fixable, so you try to argue around that, to try and force people to pretend your concerns are important when they're not.

Why not stop, and worry about actually important things.

>Blast a monster in the face with an exploding fire spell the size of your torso
>11 damage

>Rogue of the same level stabs his 3 inch dagger into the monsters shoulder
>55 damage

Hold on, if you're calling a shield bash an attack then you're counting it as a strike with a weapon. So, it's a two-weapon attack, which you can do, just with a penalty.

Your GM just need some imagination, OP, and that's prerequisite to tabletop gaming. EVERY tabletop game has some blurb in its rules saying "sometimes you'll need to make shit up and that's ok it's more important than following the rules, just so long as you're fair and consistent". D&D doesn't have specific rules for jumping off a balcony and grabbing a chandelier to swing and land on someone feet-first, either, but that doesn't mean you can't do it, just kludge something together that makes some sense.

The "you can do anything" is the responsibility of the GM, not the books or their publishers. They can't think of everything and they couldn't write it all down in a finite number of pages if they could.

Except you can also do this in other games. Because pushing someone out of the way with your shield ISN'T an attack - it's perfectly fair for the GM to say, "okay, make an attack roll at -4 to push him five feet away." EVEN IN D&D.

It's called improved shield bash

She draws weeb art. It's safe to assume she's morbidly obese.

>You hate that people can dismiss your complaints as negligible or fixable, so you try to argue around that, to try and force people to pretend your concerns are important when they're not.

I could produce houserules for any system I run, but I don't, because the game's rules are usually enough to satisfy whatever creativity the players wish to utilize at character creation.

In 3.X, I have to use houserules if a player comes to me with a concept that isn't already covered in the CRB or one of the dozen splats that are available and even then, the houserule might not fix anything since I, and over 90% of the people who come up with houserules in the first place, are NOT game designers who know how to properly make a game.

Not always.

You both still sound like a bunch of 8 year olds saying "we're not playing basketball, we're playing SUPERBASKETBALL."

>Summons
>needing infinite spell slots
>not effective by level 3+ with one spell slot and maybe a feat

You're so wrong it hurts

Why do you have to fix a game if it isn't broken? Why are there so many homebrew fixes for 3.5 if it isn't a broken game?

Honestly I like Pathfinder because it has way more core content than most other tabletops. It has some annoying rules like how wonky size penalty is to keep track of in different contexts, but the combat is fine. Yeah you can't charge, do a combat maneuver and an attack in one turn at low levels but there's almost certainly feats for that later on.
Also
>tfw friends hate PF because the combat is "boring"
>absolutely refuse to read the combat rules or learn combat maneuvers
Okay I roll to hit the bad guy.

>you need a feat to hit someone with a shield
3.PF is just fucking terrible.

90% of weebs, regardless of gender, have weight problems. Even more when they have a Deviantart and draw. If she isn't a landwhale she's a Ms. Skeltal.

You mean the system is vague enough and lacks the degree of mechanical depth that 3.5 has.

You need to homebrew for 3.5 because it's a game where you can have fun with all sorts of little modifiers and subsystems, because they actually have a tangible impact on the game. It's a strength and a weakness, because while you often need new rules for new ideas, it's fun to come up with those new rules and to actually feel them, rather than just essentially refluffing some other mechanic.

Yeah, a lot of people suck at homebrewing, but the people who do understand the system can really flex its mechanical muscles.

I personally prefer 5e over 3.5, but a weakness of 5e is that some of its mechanics seem bland because they lack the same impact or uniqueness that you could find in 3.5.

For a game with all sorts of problems, 3.5's mechanics, for better and for worse, carried weight that could be felt.

>fishing
How dumb are you user?

Now that's just rude. What's wrong with skeltals?

Skeletons are hotter than normals.

I would a skeleton

I'd say it works out to one serious attack for damage about every 6 seconds, yes. Most of the sword to sword contact is actually jockeying for position to make an attack.

Enjoy being SUPERBASKETBALL champion of the whole world.

So, really dumb. Okay user. Have fun.

>absolutely refuse to read the combat rules or learn combat maneuvers

Why would they? Most combat maneuvers require three feats to use and even then, most enemies have either a resistance or an outright immunity to said maneuver.

You can't grapple creatures that are larger than you or are incorporeal/insubstantial, you can't trip someone with more than two legs, you can't disarm someone if they aren't wielding actual weapons like a sword or dagger, sundering shit requires using the fiddling hardness rules, and shit like dirty tricks and the like are just out and out useless.

And considering you only get so many feats and you're stuck with these feats until you just retire the character, it really just ends up being more efficient to just focus on dealing damage and hitting accurately.