/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

> Previous Thread:

>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH

mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/[WtF]The_Pack.PDF

mediafire.com/download/a1kpjrm41yzozkq/V20_Ghouls_&_Revenants.pdf

>Latest News
The Kickstarter is over

theonyxpath.com/now-available-curse-of-the-blue-nile-and-v20w20-starter-bundles/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-bit-o-beckett-a-gram-of-gen-con-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question:
What is the last image that really inspired your WoD game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-EuwFw-7ke0
youtu.be/CmRih_VtVAs
humblebundle.com/books/vampire-masquerade-rpg-bundle
cinemablend.com/new/Why-Margot-Robbie-Told-Off-Smith-During-Her-Focus-Audition-70083.html
amzn.com/B01G7GP96U
theonyxpath.com/signs-of-sorcery-mage-the-awakening-open-development/
youtube.com/watch?v=sskFjbHu_W0
youtu.be/cddLDL_kKOU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I used pic related as inspiration for a Rank 1 Gulmoth my Mage players were investigating
It's a Ghoul from The Void/Chthonian Stars

Need some help with a custom covenant for a Vampire game. There are seven covenants in the city and most are more or less reskinned versions of existing covenants. The problem I'm having is a group I've called The Midnight Consortium, a group of ancient traders who formed within the East India Company in the 1800's and are now a Hong Kong based group of vampiric businessmen.

My issue is I have no idea what to do for their faction benefits.

So why can't guns do shit in World of Darkness?

Since your damage is based off your fucking successes you can be shitty and shooting and end up needing like 5 shots to kill someone. That is completely unrealistic. Usually it only takes 1 or 2 bullets to take someone down. Using those examples of "lol guy got shot 19 times and lived" does not excuse the fact that most times someone gets shot, they go the fuck down, hard, and World of Darkness' shitty combat system can't even run that properly, despite the fact that literally 90% of other RPG systems handle this. I can understand PCs taking a few bullets, but random NPCs? Fuck that. World of Darkness guns are completely broken, probably so that VtM fanboys can wank to getting shot with a .45 and ignoring it, despite the fact that the same thing could happen to granny down the street, assuming the guy is untrained with the gun. That's not how guns work. Your skill doesn't affect the fucking damage you do. Your skill does not affect the velocity of the bullet. Shot placement, sure, but you are not going to shoot the arms and legs over and over just because "lol I can't aim"

I mean WoD isn't exactly a fantastic system anyway, but this is a massive glaring error and I can't believe the devs haven't fixed it yet. Probably too busy adding "safe space" language to their rulebooks.

Give them the 2 Dot version of the Luxury Merit from Seers of the Throne?

That looks pretty good, but I don't know the first thing about balance. How does a free merit compare to Invictus Oaths or the ability to buy Coils?

That's the old rules.
Now if you hit, your gun deals its full damage rating in success without rolling.

>Implying this isn't bait.

>Probably too busy adding "safe space" language to their rulebooks

Aw, that's too bad. You had a legitimate complaint that I could have addressed, but you ruined it at the end with your pointless bitching about shit that doesn't matter, so you get nothing.

> not using full justification

Not only can White Wolf not design rules for shit, they also can't even format a fucking rulebook properly. Disgusting.

Is this for 1E or 2E?

When's Deviant?

Aren't guns pretty nasty? Dex+Firearms with a weapon bonus. Ignores defenses. You can do shit like aim at a target or full auto for extra dice. Some guns have fun things like a shotgun giving 9 again.

Fuck off, Aspel.

>What was the last image that inspired a WoD Game?

Pic related, I based my newest Requiem character off of him. A Daeva mobster with the Invictus.

The Merit is probably on the weak side, compared to the other benefits, since its benefits are more fluff than crunch. But clever players can certainly translate this to powerful advantage in social situations, if you as the ST give them the opportunity.

Alright, thanks for the help.

This is post God Machine rules update, so included in all of 2e

Look at this Try-hard troll.

Keep it up, I am enjoying myself.

Well in Dark Era they introduce a new covenant called Weihan Cynn. They are all about allies and contacts. You may want to look into them.
Here is there merit.

Aspel, you realize you're the second-most hated user in these threads? You're right next to Carmilla when it comes to the low opinion of the anons on this thread.

His Vice was Gluttony (we're still using the 1e rules for now but intend to upgrade to 2e soon) and he met a similar fate as the character that inspired him (gunned down in a drive-by until he was knocked into torpor).

But I'm not Aspel.
His writings style is very different from mine. If you even bothered to read you would have seen that.

You were complaining about the poster not liking WW's choice of putting "safe space" language in their books, which would indicate you're an SJW.

Aspel is infamous for being an annoying SJW. So, I naturally assumed. My bad.

20 years from now

I never posted on that.
I informed someone about a covenant he could take some merits and ideas from. I think yoy may have clicked the wrong post bruh.

>What is the last image that really inspired your WoD game?

Gay_werewolves.jpg

To answer OP, even though I haven't done anything yet.

That's 1e rules. Guns were also pretty deadly in 1e, where it was easy to get some 20 dice and Armour Piercing and 8-Again. In 2e they're even more instant death lasers.
>Probably too busy adding "safe space" language to their rulebooks.
Abloobloo

I was asleep, you idiot. More than one person thinks that kind of shit is asinine and baity.
I'm "infamous" for it, sure, but I'm far from the only one who'd point out how childishly bitchy it is to complain about the SJW boogeyman.

We should be getting a subtitle at Gencon.

God that movie looks like shit.

Not him, but curious if you really have a good 'hack' to gun rules.

I haven't had many issues with the 2e rules so far, but the game has had very few fire fights since the players are being paranoid level overly prepped Mages.

I've had my first session of my Watch_Dogs cronicle. It went relatively well. My Beast player also decided to not play a beast and is instead going to play a mage.

It looks awesome. I love movies that are "bunch of quirky criminals doing something". Like Smokin' Aces. Or even heists like Ocean's Eleven and Mistborn.
Admittedly I'm probably most excited about it because I loved the last Suicide Squad movie, and I just like the concept of the Suicide Squad.
youtu.be/-EuwFw-7ke0

It's a set up where its hard to fuck it up. Things are going to go boom boom bang bang and outlandishly quirky characters makes it easy to have interesting interactions, to the point that I don't even mind that Captain Boomerang looks like a soccer hooligan or something.

>My Beast player also decided to not play a beast and is instead going to play a mage.
That honestly seems worse. Did they go Forces?

SJW-ism is an insidious cult like group mentality poisoning true socially progressive groups to the core, and hurting their message.
But that doesn't mean that we have to take the obvious bait from the troll, when it's clear that his accusations are baseless.

There is a total of one sidebar in Mage 2e that could be described as adding "safe space" and all that it says is that if you see yourself as a male or female, then your Astral projection will reflect that.
I found it pretty obvious, but I guess they decided to preemptively squash the issue.

>SJW-ism is an insidious cult like group mentality poisoning true socially progressive groups to the core, and hurting their message.
user, did you know there is actually a board on this site where you can complain about the boogeyman? If you want to talk about scary things under your bed, you could go to (As an aside, that's not a sidebar, and it only offhandedly mentions gender; it's essentially the Matrix thing where you look like you think you should look; there is a sidebar that says mages can confirm that people are trans, but I've never thought of "things we can already prove with actual real world psychology and science" as being somehow "safe space")

>Since your damage is based off your fucking successes you can be shitty and shooting and end up needing like 5 shots to kill someone. That is completely unrealistic.
t. someone who has never shot a gun

You need to dispell a relinquished spell (safe or unsafe) right? You can't just cancel it.

Right, but I think you get a bonus to dispel your own spells.

Na he's going Moros mage, and plans to become a Forge Master.

Also I think its better because it's mostly a mage/demon crossover.

I used this for a Gulmoth

This puts me to shame.

You clearly haven't shot a gun either. It's not that fucking hard. I'm sorry you have parkinsons disease.

>Trained cops and soldiers still miss, but I'm a tactical basement dweller and I know I can hit a fly guns akimbo.

I dunno. It looks like the first DC film to actually look fun.

After one of the trailers had jokes and they were well received, they actually went back and did reshoots to add more comedy and fun to the movie. Also, probably because Deadpool did so well.
youtu.be/CmRih_VtVAs
I think it was this one. The movie with two clown themed villains apparently wasn't actually that funny. So here's hoping those scenes are integrated well (and its important to keep in mind that reshoots isn't exactly uncommon).

It's the same person who went in to complain about this last time: they don't actually know how guns work and they don't want to be bothered to research how the new rules work. They watched too many action movies and they got mad that it didn't work that way in a tabletop game.

Hey, you oWoD shits:
humblebundle.com/books/vampire-masquerade-rpg-bundle

It feels that Will Smith is slumming, in that it seems rather weird to have such a recognizable star in this, but I guess lately his movies sucked.

Harley Quinn is the star of the show though. Without her character this movie wouldn't be half as good.

But that's why we share.

Isn't Will Smith stalking the girl who plays Harley?

>It feels that Will Smith is slumming, in that it seems rather weird to have such a recognizable star in this, but I guess lately his movies sucked.
>Harley Quinn is the star of the show though
Yeah, it feels really weird. I think it was originally supposed to be one of those "formerly famous person too old for a role plays it anyway" things, like Ghost Rider, but after the early trailers everyone liked Harley better so they focused on her instead of Will Smith.

A quick Google of that finds nothing, but she did insult him during their last movie. And also slapped Leonardo DiCaprio
cinemablend.com/new/Why-Margot-Robbie-Told-Off-Smith-During-Her-Focus-Audition-70083.html

Is tass useless to any Mage that doesn't know how to channel mana?

Can a living/nonliving/ephemeral/supernatural being be filled with tass?

On the same note, the very first Vampire: the Masquerade anthology had a quiet re-release in May, apparently. It is also the first new WoD/CofD product to appear on Amazon: amzn.com/B01G7GP96U

>Is tass useless to any Mage that doesn't know how to channel mana?

Not if it gathers in something edible.
Many mages plant fruit trees in a hollow.

It could definately collect in a corpse, I would say no for the other 3.

Ok, I guess I'll barter all non edibles I find until I get points in Prime since nobody rolled an Obrimos.

Tass just has to be physical and an object. It can collect in stable patterns, like ones you'd affect with Matter, but not shifting patterns, like ones you'd affect with Life. Vampires are dead, but shifting. You might be able to make a corpse into tass and then have it zombie around with Death, but I don't think that leaving a zombie in a hallow would produce tass.

Signs of Sorcery may expand the definition and manifestations of tass, especially given that they've spoiled the existence of Imbued Creatures, so you could give them a mana capacity of some sort.

It's money.
Or, more accurately, it's like cigarettes in prison.

>they've spoiled the existence of Imbued Creatures
Oh? Do tell.

theonyxpath.com/signs-of-sorcery-mage-the-awakening-open-development/

>Chapter Three: The Crafter’s Trade
>The chapter then expands on the rules for Imbued Items, including spells allowing mages who don’t yet have Prime 4 to store spells temporarily in items as “charges”, spells to allow mages to Imbue living beings, spells that alter how relinquishing spell control works and cursed items (a fan-favourite topic in Tome of the Mysteries.)
>spells to allow mages to Imbue living beings

The book is being toted as Advanced Mage 2e, so we probably won't see it until 2020.

>It's money.

Emphasis on this. Scarcity is important for a tabletop game to create drama and tension. This is especially important for a game like Mage where players can literally pull bags of money out of thin air or build tanks out of congealed dreams.

Stat me.

I hate that Lucifer is just ANOTHER GODDAMN PROCEDURAL.

Since when was doing a Humble Bundle part of the Paradox master plan?

Bundle of Holdings are pretty good ways of getting your brand out, if nothing else. I was tempted to get the Torg bundle a while back, and that game is nowhere even near my playstyle when it comes to its rules.

New to vampire here, should I start with it? Quite cheap to me

If you're interested in Vampire the Masquerade or just want an absolute shit ton of reading, give it a shot. It's VtM Revised, which is the most recent edition aside from 20th Anniversary, which is apparently also on sale on DriveThru right now.

If nothing else, dropping eight bucks for The Book of Nod is a really good deal.

The rules and mechanics are convoluted, there's a lot of reading and it's not the most up to date stuff. If you don't mind reading and shitty rules, go for it, it's fun and more interesting than VtR.

[Owlbear]

This is also why the cigarettes-in-prison analogy is useful. It's not just currency, its currency that you can burn for power. Its an old school barter system where the exchanged good represents an actual use, as opposed to fiat.

>New to vampire here, should I start with it?
I'm going to be completely and 100% unbiased and reasonable here and say no, you should buy Vampire: the Requiem Second Edition.
>Quite cheap to me
Eh. I'll admit I want the pins, but the books themselves aren't great. I'm clearly not a big fan of oWoD, though.

Each form of Mage armor costs a point of mana per scene. You can switch between Mage armors as a reflex action for one mana.

Can you take a bit more time and switch between armors as an instant action for no mana?

As a houserule, sure
There's no official word either way, though

I'm going to be running a campaign for some people new to RPGs, and I was considering CofD so they don't get into a D&D rut.

Which games line would people suggest? I was thinking perhaps Changeling, as I would say out of all the splats they have a mentality closest to actual people. Well, bar Hunter... Most of the time.

I believe Werewolf is the most forgiving for the average D&D player e.g. murder-hobos.

It sounds fair to me assuming you already spent the mana to activate it for that scene. Of course you join the Seers and do it for free :-3

Core. Maybe with some Hunter stuff, since having a Compact or Conspiracy that they're part of can really help facilitate things if they're unsure of what to do. But something simple is always the best place to start.

Changeling's mentality is also the most changed. Plus, 2e isn't out yet, and you're missing a lot of the stuff that would make it work (or at least *I* want stuff about the Hedge). The lack of a pretty, laid out corebook is also a bit of a deterrent, and if you want to introduce people to WoD, it'd be better to start with 2e stuff instead of using 1e, which might confuse them if you ever play something new. That said, I will bet that if they get involved with it, the collaborative pre-game City Creation is something that might be a great way of making them want to play.
Having players interested in playing is always the hardest part of teaching newbies (aside from getting them to read, which even veterans rarely want to do)

I'd say Vampire is easiest to grok of the big three. He's trying to *keep* them from being D&D losers. Werewolf does need some love, though. 2e is really good, but while its not as hard as Mage, they do have a lot of societal stuff to wrap your head around.

I think the society and political aspects of werewolf 2e is fine or at least thematically consistent for the splat.

Finding a balance between thinking and reasoning your problems out vs murder-fucking them away.

If you're interested in Masquerade, it's the best deal you're going to get short of pirating everything. Plus if these PDFs are updated to OEF, with searchability and stuff then it's a gold mine. Also, wow, they have a copy of the new MET book in there too. And the pins looks nice.

It's not that it's thematically inconsistent, it's that it's confusing and strange, as befitting Spirits. Really its less the politicking and more the fact that Werewolf society is alien in a lot of ways.

So what are the biggest changes to each arcanum? A friend of mine asked and I'd rather not dig through both books without knowing where to look first.

The enumerated list IS the book.
Anything specific or do they just want to play the best path? It's still Acanthus.

Mostly its what could an arcanum do in 1e that it cant do in 2e, or what new things can it do in 2e that it couldnt in 1e

>Acanthus
They don't have Mind or Space though

They do with legacies, but Time and Fate carry you a lot smoother through the early game, covering combat, investigation and socializing. Fate •• has a spell that gives you merits for a its duration and those can cleave through a lot of challenges.

Biggest change is that you can get merits from spells, but they don't follow the Sanctity of Merits rule.

Fuck, I just reread Midnight Roads and forgot how good it is. I really hope they update it for 2E. Has anyone ever done a campaign on the road and if so how did it go?

Has anyone here ever played Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom? What was it like?

I hear that it's actually really well written and researched and not in like with oWOD's weird culture fetishization and strange racism which is a good start

I'm making an Unchained Demon, concept based around being sneaky.
I, however, want the Teleportation Demonic form ability. Does anyone have any idea on how to re-fluff that one so it isn't brightly glowing?

Instead of "energy teleport with glowing lines" go "body folds in upon itself into non-existence, then unfolds at the target".

More disturbing, but not glowy.

Yeah. I thought something like that too, but the problem is: How do I style the module for it?

The new bloodlines are cool but it kinda does the Wraith thing of treating the entire continent like tribal bushland

>the Wraith thing of treating the entire continent like tribal bushland
That's more like "the oWoD thing". Or, really, most games.

I like how he was calling the other person a fag for projecting stuff like that but because you can't read you tried to call him a fag and ended up looking like an even bigger fag than the fag he called a fag.

Here's your (You) I guess.

>[furious yet masturbatory words]

Hiya everyone. I've decided to run a VtM Anarch game. It's going to be set in Nashville and they coterie are going to be infiltrating the Sabbat to prevent those fuckers from taking over the area. Any ideas, tips or musical selections you might want to throw my way would be much appreciated.

He was literally expressing the opinion that SJW is some kind of spooky shadow cult. If people are afraid of the SJW boogeyman, they can go to the board for talking about boogeymen. It's as simple as that.

Why is M20 so bad Veeky Forums?

Because it's Ascension.

Someone at one point mentioned this as a Demon like song. youtube.com/watch?v=sskFjbHu_W0 I think I'm going to try to make a character based on it.

Where did Beckett first appear?

I got oddly excited for it playing inside. Giant empty factories full of faceless men and women with uncanny beings walking out.

Well duh.

Here's one: play VtR instead

I really liked it and I normally loathe Ascension. Can't speak for the mechanics though.

you're a worthless nigger.

youtu.be/cddLDL_kKOU

John Constantine is a WoD character