The setting is a carefree utopia

>the setting is a carefree utopia
>everyone gets along
>no crime, no enemies, no worries

What exactly are you supposed to do here?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!55xF2SSS!pmQiV4O3es6gx-zjGhp5Cw!gogWlDAb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have fun adventures with your friends! I hear a ghost haunts the old town hall ever since they moved to the new building. Let's check it out!

Be the only (and therefore greatest) villains, of course!

Kinky sex

Commence ERP.

Ruin it.

Both are valid options OP.

Get creative.

You ever read Brave New World?
A utopia is, for lack of a better word, boring and pointless.
You play the people who've realised this, and now must do whatever it takes to destroy as much as possible, so that people can truly *live*

Or is it a care free utopia OP?

Maybe its just some brave new world shit

That actually does sound fun.

The things you can do in a utopia setting:

1: slice of life and drama in relationships
2: border pacification, where utopia meets everyone wanting what utopia has. It's not a utopia for you, of course.
3: toppling utopia, because you're an asshole
4: wacky exploration adventures

You can probably tie 4 into 2. But those are the main utopia plots.

Yeah there are a lot of opportunities for neutral characters in such a setting. Just abusing the kindness of others for personal benefit, maybe subverting the local government to create an arm's race. I dunno. It's like a big blank slate of potential.

I actually just asked a similar question in another thread. My group usually runs hyper-gorey grimdark games that look like they'd make good covers for death-metal bands. But I think we wanted a break from that.

Now I'm looking in to running a light, combat free "slice of life" game, where the players are just villagers in a small town in rural Japan.

I just need ideas for events and "quests" and such.

Steal Mushishi wholesale.
It's not strictly slice-of-life, but it's tranquil as all hell.

You. I like you.

>5. Try and introduce Rock and Roll music

Seek mastery of a craft or skill and dedicate your life to it.
Meditate and contemplate the deepest mysteries of life.
Travel the globe learning about and documenting different cultures.
Dedicate your life to the pursuit of knowledge and science, build yourself a lab and expand the limits of human achievement.
Better the community around you via a lifetime of politics and charity work.
Start an institute of learning and elevate your entire culture, make it your life's work to spread literacy to the masses.

or you could be an edgy fuck

become an all out hedonist and corrupt the populace into ruin
start a gang and extort the weak and peaceful populace to further your own personal wealth
become a warlord and create the conflict.

This is easy stuff guys.

There's a bunch of stuff in golden sky stories you can pull out.

Be the bad guy you dumbass.

Protect it

That's when you BECOME the worry, user.

Become twitchy and irrational over worry that your GM will drop an apocalypse on you while the rest of the party has fun?
That's what I would do at least.

>Posts this
>With an elf OP

I think you already know, user.

Why are you playing Blue Rose?

>Just read the free demo

Holy shit! I didn't know this existed! I'm going to run this shit immediately!

Are there other games like this? You may have just opened my eyes to a whole new genre of RPGs.

That's just 3 again.

Transdimensional adventures in planar cartography, that multiverse isn't going to map itself.

>Everything is targets
what's the problem again, user?

Ruin it and remake it in your own image? Duh.

What the shit is that to the right in the background?

Have you not seen Demolition Man? You either start a crime ring, or you take over.

dont worry about it user.

That's ___me

;_;

ERP. Play GSS. Cause havoc. Save the world from stagnating into a boneyard. Uncover the truth behind the idyllic facade. I dunno man, have you tried thinking?

Ryuutama is kinda similar. There's also MAID I guess?

Fuck shit up, fampai. Become the petty evil you want to see in the world.

theres also the irisu syndrome-esque eyes behind the guy

I can post the full book in a little bit

Fuck shit up because it's boring and because you can!

Break it.

I want to smack Tenshi sexually

Get in a decadent lifestyle and convince others to do the same.

The korean comic is about a completely unlikable MC who is given a perfect world, and the only way he can express himself is to destroy it. That face is the evil within him, and he IS evil.

I would appreciate that, actually.

And if it's good, I'll probably even purchase a copy.

Wreck it.

I want to smack you violently!

Take over.

Find out why that is.

But then again we're talking about your setting, so all discussion is moot.

DEPENDS ON THE SETTING.

Do sports or racing or something, maybe? Getting along doesn't preclude competition, and rivals and enemies are two different things, so there can still be tension and drama and whatnot.

That sick fuck.

It was a literal utopia and then he murdered fuckers and murdered the friendly seal dog things for meat. Then fed them to the elves unawares. he then uses the promise of meat to make the elf girls have sex with him alone in a mongamous relationship. The elves were before this floated from mate to mate. Dude had the male elves start killing eachotehr just so they could get some poon

You discover a tome from ages past. It speaks of a great disaster that tore the skies and sank the great capitol, plunging the lands into an everlasting drought. Your village is right next to that site.
There are rumors that the truth is being hidden, that there isn't the surplus of food that the government has been advertising. At some point, the easy life could end. What then? Will you migrate on a suspicion?
It's still a utopia, but it's distinctly less grand as it was before. Will it continue to slip?
The emperor decides that it is now time to do something daring, like challenge the gods, or ascend beyond the heavens and into the stars beyond.

There are plenty of golden ages in human history. Go study why they ended.

Check for signs of all this being just an illusion, i.e. whacky physics, mirrors don't work, people won't look you in the eyes, etc.
If that's not the case, perhaps check politics, maybe there's a coup d'etat planned.

> get bitten by an extinct type of critter on a beautiful day
> start noticing little things: smiles seem artificial, food seems more bland, friendly authorities speak with hiden threats
> slowly, hint for little hint, discover the swamp of drugs, manipulation and cleansing that keeps the population appeased and docile while dodging the authority's cold, hard eyes set in smiling faces
> flee Utopia, learn the ways of the world, which are cruel in their own right
> ultimately have to decide if you want to bring Utopia down or if the people are better off ignorant and mind-controlled than exposed to the real world
> all while wondering if that critter bite just counteracted the drugs and opened your eyes, or if you're tripping and/or dying.

Okay here's what you do.
1) find someone who is incredibly nice and for the most part everybody loves them.
2) find where they live.
3) find a nieghbor and kidnap them. Try for someone who isnt gonna be home for a little or wouldnt be missed right away.
4) find way to knock out really nice person without them knowing someone knocked them out. Drugs are good for this.
5) brutally murder neighbor in nice persons bedroom.
6) make mask out of nieghbors face.
7) attach mask to nice persons face.
8) put corpse in bed with nice person. Arange them in such a way that nice person is cuddling up with corpse.
9) find location to watch.
10) watch as nice person wakes up and freaks out and falls into an abyss of terror and confusion.
11) every time person goes to sleep leave the head of another victim in their house and hide the bodies around city.
12) witness results as people begin to find the bodies.

In my mind it was 1 again.

Dig, until you find the sickening truth behind the world's idyllic façade.

If there isn't one then at least you get a kind of Welcome to the NHK campaign.

Fuck it all up of course. You can't see an evil campaign when it's presented to you?

No crime? Start a merchant business, sounds fun as fuck. I'd love to deal with dwarves and setting up trade routes with weird magical trinkets used to help the business in bizarre ways.

Become traveling musicians touring from city to city and getting into wacky hijinx

>having this question in a post-Deep Space 9 world
Why isn't Star Trek just mandatory viewing for posting on Veeky Forums?

Figure out that it's a dystopia. Learn what's being held from you.

>I wonder who could be behind this post.

>play evil campaign in utopia
>everyone is overly nice to you and helps you, everything is just so comfy and cute
>have to constantly pass charisma checks to maintain urge to destroy/subjugate the world
>if you fail enough your alignment changes and you become another cog in the utopia machine
That could be interesting. I mean either this, or you go into ERP/SoL shit.

start a crime syndicate

Yeah but star trek is trash

Damn, I was going to post my copy but it's over 8mb.
HOWEVER I FOUND THIS IN THE ARCHIVE.
mega.nz/#F!55xF2SSS!pmQiV4O3es6gx-zjGhp5Cw!gogWlDAb

There's probably newer stuff in the newer version, I know there's a version with western thing in it. Go ahead and buy it if you like this one! I played a couple of games and they were sugary sweet and cuteness.

Enjoy your headpats!

>get medical aid from drones/spirit creatures the first time this happens and are watched with sad eyes. The other guy you tried killing is revived and forgives you.

Two options:
>A: crack open Golden Sky Stories and have a comfy game of helping people of a sleepy village with minor troubles
>B: an actually evil guy appears and starts fucking shit up with nobody able to comprehend his actions. It's pretty challenging to roleplay that mindfuck perspective though.

>Are there other games like this? You may have just opened my eyes to a whole new genre of RPGs.
Check out Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine too. Its about bringing similar comfy tone as well, but to a wider variety of situations.

Explore new world's and galaxies on a 5 year mission?

Boldly go where none have gone before...

I want to run a utopia thats actually a 1984-like superstate. The party will slowly begin to discover this when you start investigating the rulers of the kingdoms.

I like the idea of the BBEG just being some belligerent asshole who decided to start a war and ruin everything because he was bored.

You have four options, from most to least evil...
>Destroy it. Man was not meant to live in perfection and stagnation. Burn it to the ground and restore the natural order!
>Claim it. Such pointlessness and weakness. It would be so easy to turn it all to your own ends and claim absolute authority!
>Leave it. With such peace and stability, it's the perfect home to return to, as you adventure across the land and see and explore all you can.
>Protect it. This peace and happiness is so precious. There are those who would doubtless seek to destroy it, so you stand as the bulwark to see that never happens.

>everyone gets along
Haha, I know, right? That's why I love living here! VSOC does a great job at keeping things in tip top shape, my family and I have had a different type of lobster each week!

Remember not to look at the moon hahaha!

>Yeah but star trek is trash
Vulcan mind: are you out of it?

PHOENIX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its obviously the start of an evil campaign OP. You are obviously there to teach these peoples that real life is suffering and pain.

Murder, rape and kick puppies, in that order.

Well, it wasn't exactly a carefree and completely perfect environment, but when life gives you a plane of innocence, there's only one thing to do.

Most of DS9 was good.
Most of TNG was good, excluding first season.
About half of TOS was good.
Most of VOY was shit.
Most of ENT was just kind of meh.

Or at least that's how I felt.

Sow discord amongst the unsuspecting populace.

The Original Series is excellent. And terrible. It's simultaneously the best and worst Trek. It had a spectacular character dynamic and a lot of energy, but also more than its fair share of cringe-worthy cheese.

The Next Generation is good. It had some weak points, but overall it's a good show. It had a pleasant dynamic and was just plain likable.

DS9 is pretty good. It had some good arcs but the overall character dynamic wasn't as good as in TOS or TNG, and it didn't have the energy of those shows either.

Voyager was fair. It was perfectly enjoyable once you accepted that it botched the premise and had little in the way of consistency.

Enterprise was also fair, though at least a bit better than Voyager. It had more integrity that Voyager but it seems miscast and its concepts were often executed in a mediocre manner, leading to the show often being less enjoyable than it seems like it should've been.

>you're in a utopia
>"I wanna wreck it"

What is wrong with you all. You're the exact kind of people that make me realize that even if someone managed to achieve a utopia, idiots would come along who would feel the need to wreck it.

Dig around, see what it took to achieve the Utopia; question the means, "was it justified to do X to Y just to live in a utopia?" or "are we really better off now, with X no longer troubling us?"

Oh sorry. I'll just run through work my job or whatever I get in the game.

Stories need conflict, man. If the player doesn't become the great evil, a different great evil will awaken. It's just a "choose your perspective" situation with a setup like that.

Dig for clams

Protect it.

Bullshit. Something is enchanting these people. The nature of man does not allow utopia. Something is putting people in their place so much that they have learned to accept it.

Bullshit. We aren't an utopia just because of wrong choices in the past.
Simple, get to space/equivalent. Superior weaponry + Spaceships/equivalent + Aliens to befriend/trade with = Noblebright ADVENTURE!
And, if your weaponry isn't superior and there are grumpy aliens, then congratulations! Drama!

>choices in the past
Its not like we as a species have stopped doing stupid shit. We will continue to.

My first thought for a setting like that was to act as secret police, fighting to keep the utopia from crumbling. From there, you'd have the moral dilemma of using increasingly violent means to keep increasingly hard problems in check. The players would have to decide if keeping people happy and placated is worth the horrible cost, and if a utopia is really worth having if the truth of that cost is hidden from the people.

But that seems kinda edgy, all things told. Instead, I'd take a 'monster hunter' type approach and have people hunting monsters that are either targeting people or that have ingredients that people need. Or I'd have something like that game called The Guild, where your goal is to pick a profession and excel in it, to the point where you become a master (or king).

This is a type of game you'd have to discuss with your players, first. It isn't for everyone, that's for sure.

So like We happy few?

>everyone gets along
You're failing to ask the obvious questions here.

The obvious questions are "Why does everyone get along? Why is there no crime? Why are there no enemies?"

And the answer to those questions should be obvious to any even mostly shit GM, at least if the players ask it: "Why don't you try to find out?"

At which point, of course, the GM introduces the mind control drugs/demon summoners/alien supertech/hyperdimensional magico-mechanical space gods/whatever, dude, I'm sure you get the idea.

IT'S CALL OF CTHULHU, BUT WITH A DIFFERENT HORRIFIC TRUTH (unless it IS actually Cthulhu and friends)!

Demolition Man

Get shown the fuck up by an elf a tenth of your size who cripples your foot and forces you to cry so loudly that your legendary bitch-cry echoes throughout the valleys of the entire continent and shakes empires? Sulk in Angband because you can't walk right until your little bro and all his friends drag your ass back home AGAIN and summarily execute your formerly-immortal currently-and-eternally-fucked bitch ass?
Sounds like a good time.

Open your 'Book of Exalted Deeds™'; and start taking some dank vows. Slowly become God.

Demolition man was far from a utopia.

>utopia is actually dystopia!
To all you people, what if it actually is utopia?
What if everyone lives a long and fulfilling life?
What if there is struggle and competition, but no true suffering or strife?
What if the government isn't an evil mind controler, and the people of this nation, through centuries of social development, have become exceptionally level headed and emphatic?

Is it dystopian if they have gradually weeded out the harmful and sociopathic elements of their people?

>The nature of man does not allow utopia
What if the nature of man has changed.

>Is it dystopian if they have gradually weeded out the harmful and sociopathic elements of their people?

While not dystopian, the majorities of such societies will be lax due to having less of a driving force, and be relatively fragile to outside intervention as the citizens will be predisposed to conflict.

Five centuries of peace is all very well until the neighbors come knocking looking for war and you don't have anything to fight them with.

The few utopian societies that COULD fight off people would only be called utopian because everyone likes to fight in aforesaid utopian societies. See: Orks orks orks orks.