/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Roll20 Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>Ye Olde Thread
Roll20 is now a WotC licensed part a la Fantasy Grounds!

blog.roll20.net/post/148117298890/roll20-is-now-an-officially-licensed-partner-with

Which means, potentially: quicker, cheaper map rips for the rest of us.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jnvgq8STMGM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck roll20

Oh yay?

Jesus Christ just turn it into a proper video game already...

If your campaign was stuck forever at level 3 what would you play? My super casual friends have the attitude that higher levels just means more rules they won't learn so they essentially want to play EL3 forever...

What's the problem with that? There's nothing wrong with enjoying low-level play, right?

Fuck idiot players who use roll20

Get some better friends.

Battle Master fight would be solid. Variant human, grab sharpshooter or GWM at level 1, grab precision strike, and roll with it.

Bearbarian would also be good, as would moon druid, since your HP and attack are still really good at 3rd level.

Rogue is also good, since you've got two sneak attack dice and Cunning Action already.

Something with a strong level 3. Moon Druid or Bearbarian.

Bladelock again. It seems everyone got a little heated but I made updates.

Name: Crow Vegelbud

Race: Human, Female

Class: Lvl. 5 Warlock Fiend Blade Pact

Background: Noble (NG alignment)

STR: 10 (+0)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 11 (+0)
CHA: 16 (+3)

Proficient Skills: History, Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion.

Invocations:

Devil's Sight
---
Repelling Blast
---
Thirsting Blade

Spells:

Cantrips
---
Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand
Friends
Prestidigitation

1st Level
---
Burning Hands
Hex
Charm Person

2nd Level
---
Darkness
Suggestion

3rd Level
---
Fireball

Spell Slots: 2 (3rd level)

Perks: Alert

Preferred Pact Weapon: Rapier

Items: Crossbow, Dagger, Studded Leather Armor, Component Pouch, Fine Clothes, Purse, Dungeoneer's Pack, Ring, Playing Cards

Languages: Common, Elvish, Dwarven (I kind of see them as the English/French/Spanish of D&D)

Personality:

Traits
---
I have a strong sense of fair play. If someone is in trouble, I am always ready to help.

Ideal
---
Sincerity. There's no point in pretending to be something I'm not.

Bond
---
I protect those who cannot protect themselves; sometimes for a price.

Flaw
---
I'm a sucker for a pretty face (character is still a lesbian).

Pic still related.

Maybe they realized that D&D is a game full of hit point fluff that isn't fucking necessary and makes damage scale with level just to compensate.

Dungeon World, Torchbearer, and loads of other RPGs don't have this hit point fluff problem.

You should gain 2, maybe 3 hp per level. Maximum.

i'm working on an e6 5e pdf right now. maybe talk them into doing something like that?

i think you want more than just level 3 advancement in a game. like its fun getting your first asi.

I swear to fuck
I don't care if you changed your mind about being in the group
I can find a replacement
But JESUS CHRIST AT LEAST TELL ME INSTEAD OF JUST NOT SHOWING UP

>16hp Dragon

How to fix D&D 5e:

> add in the classic prestige classes: mystic theurge, shadowdancer, assassin, blackguard. Don't need eldritch knight cause it's already a fighter archetype

> Change proficiency to 1/3rd level + 4 instead of 1/5th level + 2

> Allow more options for increasing AC slowly over time

> Make feats something you always get, one every four levels

> Change ability scores to +1 to two different scores EVERY time. None of this "I want results now" pussy shit.

> Remove advantage / disadvantage and instead minimize the number of bonuses present in the game (which they already did since adv/disadv can't stack anyway).

> Remove all feats that have gay-ass bonuses to ability scores. That is shitty cop-out shit. Do what D&D has needed to do for a while now and make MAJOR and MINOR feats. When you get a feat you may take one (1) major feat or two (2) minor feats. This would help with a lot of their balance. They couldn't even balance feats in 5e (despite doing a MUCH better job but still being shit at it) so they gave them ability enhancements to make up for it. Well, fuck that shit.

> Remove the 20th level cap. It's fucking stupid. Proficency is the same for all classes so there is no reason not to improve it besides "muh bounded accuracy" which is fucking stupid because it is EPIC levels and SHOULD have ridiculous shit.

> Remove the "gender" section and just put "your character can be male or female." That is it. Those are the only genders that exist. Stop doing retarded "progressive" shit in the same game that used to have rape and orgies to summon demons.

> Make orcs and goblins 1 Hit Die creatures again. It's fine if they only have 4 or 5 hp for fuck's sake. Size-based HD is a good idea. Also why the fuck do gnolls have 32 hp? Fucking stupid as all fucking hell.

Fuck off, Virt.

at level 3 forever?... moon druid i guess? you still get a number of alright forms from level2, and the whole "good fucking luck killing me" thing

>Dungeon World
You mean the one where you get exp for failing at things?

It's better than a 900 hp dragon that dies in the same number of rounds but with more math involved for no fucking reason.

>struggling with 3 digit addition and subtraction

>But JESUS CHRIST AT LEAST TELL ME INSTEAD OF JUST NOT SHOWING UP

I actually love doing this shit. It's REALLY easy to do especially if you have a couple extra throwaway emails.

Basically:

> go to FLGS
> find "looking for group" posterboard
> pick one
> email saying you are interested
> make a character, sometimes with help from Veeky Forums
> start making schedule, be relatively open but not too open so as not to arouse suspicion
> close to game day, say you can't come and ask if they could please hold up for you?
> they usually do at least once because most gamers are nice people
> now you have two choices: either delay again or just not show up.
> you have to be good at reading people to decide which to do
> if you cancel again, be SURE to agree to the third time
> then, don't show up
> rinse and repeat

It works best if they really need you in the group, for example if you are the only person playing a healer, or some other really essential party role. The best part is when you get the GM to base like the entire starting adventure hook around your character, so that he basically needs you there to start, then you flake out without even telling him.

>Making boss fights really on DM fiat is good game design.

>custom card
>shitpost in 5eg
Yea, makes sense.
CRAIG REEEEEE

Shit, rely*
Anyways

like, no offense, but half of my players can't keep track of half of their Race and Class abilities in this edition

how is stuffing more into them going to get any use out of them? They are just going to forget, and kick themselves later for "not using x for y that time we fought the bugbears in the ice cave."

When I look at 3.5, gurps, and other character options in other systems, all I see is pic related. Sure it's fantastic for players who want "a little more" out of their games, but it just doesn't work with the rest of the crowd.

I like to DM. I like making shit up. I like players at my table. I took one look at the popularity on Roll20 for Dungeon World, saw 1 page. 5e, I saw 14 pages of games being run. I said to myself, "I just need a system and players." So it's not hard to see why I picked the system I did to learn.

Are there other systems out there I want to play? You bet your ass there are. Will I get to play them? Eventually. But first I need players. And new players find 5e popular and easy to jump into. So that's why I use it.

How about you two do us all a favor and get together for a murder-suicide. It's okay to die, you know.

>one of these things is not like the other

Removing gender might be the pettiest thing ever. How lonely are you that this honestly comes up as a major problem with D&D?

Get rid of Fireball. It becomes pretty much useless at higher levels. Pick up Fly instead.

Also, don't play Warlocks. If you want gish, be an EK. If you want caster, be a fucking sorcerer.

I'm tired of these speshul snowflake Warlocks.

>he thinks that other people actually give a shit about his character and have any interest in him blogposting it all over the thread

>this person has typed more about gay dnd characters than the creators of 5e
its okay if you want dicks in your ass but still call yourself straight
no one has sex with you anyway, so it'll never come up

>Your. Gayness. Has. Nothing. To. Do. With. D&D.
Then why do you keep bringing yours up in these threads?

Lol, u mad brah?

when I read the Sex section in Chapter 4, all I thought was "Well hetero players have nothing to bitch about now since they all played lesbian characters anyway."

If a tiny blurb in the corner of a book triggers you that much you'll find that switching to DW is probably not ideal, since the circles the game is most popular in tend to be much more likely to have a player explicitly play a gay character than any D&D campaign my guy

Here's the deleted post so everyone can laugh at it. And the accompanying pic.

>

>>How lonely are you that this honestly comes up as a major problem with D&D?

>Honestly? I wish i was lonelier. Actually, I'd rather just fucking switch to Dungeon World at this point, no matter how annoying it is, or maybe Savage Worlds. Beacause I am fucking sick of SJW faggots coming to my games using pic related as RAW justification to bring their fuck-tarded sexuality into the spotlight.

>Repeat after me:

>Your. Gayness. Has. Nothing. To. Do. With. D&D.

>Stop bringing it up. Stop hitting on guards. Stop playing a genderfluid elf, because guess what, even elves aren't as much of faggots as you are. This game was made for fucking 12 year olds, not Tumblr-tier fat bitches who inject their stupid made-up sexuality into everything.

>Transexuality does not exist
>Pansexuality does not exist
>Gender fluidity DOES NOT EXIST

>AND EVEN IF IT DID, IT DOES NOT FUCKING BELONG IN D&D

>STOP PLAYING GENDERFLUID CHARACTERS IN MY FUCKING GAMES.

Corellon's AIDS-Infected +2 Elf-Boner of Infinite Androgynous Femininity wants a word with you, pal.

How would one go about recreating the various superweapons of Ace Combat in DnD?

I was looking into Metal Gear-style D&D, and instead found this.
The greatest adventurer in the land--Chief--is fed up being the wetworks errandboy for the world's warlords and kings so she does something drastic

Chief's protege Cobra tries to stop Chief, but in doing so realizes that what Chief is doing will actually make the world a better place. Cobra does his duty but then picks up Chief's mantle, becoming Large Chief

Large Chief starts collecting all the best adventurers around and establishes Father Camp that soon rivals the might of actual kingdoms, empires, fiefdoms, and citystates, but in the inevitable magical arms race that results from Father Camp's rise, everyone's been trying to develop the ultimate weapon--a controllable terrasque --and the world hangs in the balance!

DICE AND FLUFF

>stop hitting on the guards
>stop playing genderfluid elves

there's a reason you're lonely and it's not because of the genderfluid elves. it's because the game is 12+ but you are below that age restriction my friend.

I want your guy's input :( you're all my friends

>my guy

>virt
>having a high enough testosterone level to be worthy of male pronouns
Pick one, and only one.

>it's like Megalith
>but like
>magic and stuff bro

I think it's an okay idea, but for me, I imagine warlocks with swords are Witchers.

>heres the deleted post
>let me shitpost just as hard as him
no one fucking cares m80

We're not your friends, cunt. Especially not with this special snowflake bullshit you're pulling.

Aww, looks like Mr. Grumpy needs a hug. Where's that smile, big guy?

Just play what you think is fun. Why are you so hung up on creating the perfect flawless character? Who gives a fuck if Carlos the Dwarf has a stupid name? Just play the dang game.

ITT: people who deserve to fucking die

>ITT: hombres who need to chill out

>The janitors on this shitty board take the effort to delete my posts and ban me within minutes of saying tumblr gendershit is fake and a mental disease
>They still haven't kicked all the questfags and Coya threads to the board made for them

What the fuck ever, everyone knows Veeky Forums is one step removed from /co/ on the SJW fuckery scale anyway, you cucks

I have an iPhone with a dynamic ip range you literally cannot ban me and I will never stop railing against your shitty games

>I'm on Veeky Forums, the place where people tell each other to commit suicide over the most minor slight and laugh when someone actually does it
>I'm going to act like a fucking Sesame Street character

it's good, I love it.

but every time you say cobra...

Oh my god, you got banned?

I'm fucking dying. This is too much.

>Roll20 is now a WotC licensed part a la Fantasy Grounds!
Is this going to impact my ability to play other shit on roll20? Because I like 5e fine, but if I can't play my S&W on there I'm done with it.

>Is this going to impact my ability to play other shit on roll20?
Nope, just means that people who want to play 5e online have more official options besides Fantasy Grounds.

There's a post on leddit on the dndnext subreddit about Geralt as a Bladelock. Just search "geralt" in the sub and you'll find it.

Neat stuff

>he still doesn't fucking learn

There is no board made for CYOA threads.

I mean are they any good monsters to give off a similar vibe?

Oh, that's fine then.

No. There's been another of other systems that officially endorse roll20, haven't there?

>Veeky Forums is /b/
read the sticky pal. this ain't /b/

youtube.com/watch?v=jnvgq8STMGM

>implying that we all wouldn't erupt into thunderous cheering if virt blew his fucking brains out and we got confirmation on it

Fuck off and kill yourself.

The superweapons sound more like magical constructions. Instead of launching missiles/artillery into the air they use magic beams and stuff. A Beholder array? I dunno.

He's just trying to get an outside opinion about his dwarf, why you gotta cut him short?

I'd shake my head in pity.
>Why'd you have to be such a dumb faggot, Virt?
>Why did it have to come to this?

jk pic related

>starting at 12th level
>get ANY 2 uncommon magic items, OR one rare magic item

what's the dumbest shit I can do with this? I don't mean "let's munchkin it up senpai, pun-pun style," I mean "this guy can nuke a city using this combination of spells" flavor of extremely specific and stupid fuckery.

Marvelous Pigments

>I have an iPhone with a dynamic ip range you literally cannot ban me and I will never stop railing against your shitty games

did anyone else chuckle out loud at this?

>complaining that elves are faggots
Next you're gonna whine that dwarves are too short, or that the sun is too bright, or that birds flying is unfair.

I'm laughing

dont joke, his dad works at nintendo, thats what they're showing at e4 this year

Alternatively, they do launch missiles artillery, just magic based ones with warheads that cast spells with larger than normal areas of effect.

Watch me, Carlos.

good I hope they fucking fix the SRD

the srd: cool great fantastic but where the fuck are my PH, DMG, and MM PAGE NUMBERS DAMMNIT. If they opened that shit for community editing it would be spectacular.

It would also have people constantly trying to put the entire book on there instead of the basic rules, but seriously though, wouldn't it be nice? I still crack open the book though.

does the fourth e stand for e-penis

A friend of mine who's into MOBAs way more than I am asked me if that playstyle is viable for D&D since he's getting into it and I've told them the system's pretty flexible, but I'm not sure how well it would translate to tabletop, especially when it's mostly combat and that can get boring unless the environment is interesting and there are stakes to it.

o despite having never played a drinking game before, I have been tasked with coming up with some drinking game rules for my table for tomorrow night. How do these sound? I'm open to suggestions.
> On a 20, pour some of your drink into the center cup. You may also make someone take a drink.
> On a 1, you have to drink the entire center cup.
> You may drink to give yourself or someone else advantage or disadvantage. DMs can do this too.
> If your character drinks anything, you take a drink.
> Each time the DM has to role play as the inn keeper or a drunkard, the DM takes a drink.
> Nominate a "hot word". Every time that word is said, the person who says it drinks.
> You died and wanna get back in the game? Gotta wait 10 minutes, then finish a drink to revive your character.
>If the DM passes out or loses the ability to DM, the players take a drink, then nominate a new DM. When the old DM is capable again, he can join as a player.

Some of these rules (the ones about the center cup and the "hot word") are ideas taken from the D&DUI podcast. How do these rules sound?

i'd fucking jizz my pants if I was able to use that shit but sadly that's very rare and not rare in 5e apparently

if you dm, using the soundtrack from the games is just wonderful. great combat tunes.

>playing a drinking game
>not just drinking while playing a game
I never understood why people do this.

I want that shirt he's wearing

> Nominate a "hot word". Every time that word is said, the person who says it drink
>player chooses "roll"
>entire group dies of alcohol poisoning

Because it's fun.

>why do people have fun it doesnt make sense

Yeah I think you need to explain how initiative works.

The easiest time I've had explaining this game to newbies is "have you played Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre/Disgaea/Fire Emblem? Okay it's like that but you're in charge of just one of those characters and their personality and actions."

what class is this?
the bladelock?

That, or my table would just make it so that we drink every time a pun is said. It would be the end of all of us.

Yes, but why would it be any more fun that drinking while playing a game?

I'm very new to D&D, so you'd have to explain what bladelock is, and I haven't picked a class yet. setting is homebrew so I have no idea what I'm getting into other than I start at level 12, and I get 2 magic items of my choice that are uncommon, or a rare item.

>if the dota 2 playstyle would work for D&D

it is a known fact that IceFraud (dota creator) has a humongous boner for D&D. Half of the items and spells are named after D&D themed shit.

That being said, I am running a game this weekend where the players fight Sahuagin's underwater, and in the temple there is graffiti: "The deep ones...thank you..."

A bladelock is a warlock that fights like a sort of spellsword; they buse magic alongside melee combat.

its a (war)lock that picked (pact of the)blade

idk probably just be a fighter with archery fighting style, sharpshooter, crossbow expert, bracers of archery, and a +1 hand crossbow and just have that sweet sweet magic +5 to hit on top of everything else for free +10 to every attack.

or just be a monk with a sunblade or something.

theres not really that much crazy rare and uncommon stuff.

a rod of the pact keeper +2 is rare which is great for a warlock.

idk i'm curious now too whats OP and i'll look through it later to see what i can find but thats what immediately springs to mind.

oh okay so it's a homebrew thing. gotcha.

that's an interesting approach. Do DM's usually do this, have players start out with magic items? Mine always just trip over them. I'll have to try that sometime.

if you start at high enough level, its a nice way to represent their previous adventuring career, but its obviously not necessary

>adding magic
Real men put completely mundane, technology-based spaceships in their medieval fantasy settings. Just because everyone lost their collective minds in the late 90s and stopped doing that doesn't mean it's wrong.

He understands how it works, yeah, he's just curious about mixing the format.
That's nice. Dota's the one with a bunch of minions, right? I think you could roll with the character leader's initiative and have it apply to the whole unit.