MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Gisa and Geralf taking on the scene edition

Previous thread: RESOURCES:
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING:
>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

wpn.wizards.com/en/article/unique-conspiracy-preview
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/that-old-graveyard-magic/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-banana-man-and-his-graveyard-band/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-07-16-eldrazi-domination/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oh fuck me, that link on the top shouldnt be there

Which Nephilim is your favorite? I like Yore-Tiller

fuck the nephilim

Ink-Treader, but on that note, very excited for 4 color commanders in the next Commander Pre-cons.

Oh shit we're running Nephilim? Here's my general. It's the same legality so it's fine.

pls no bully

I wonder when we'll get news. They're supposed to release in November I believe but we usually get one or two cards ahead of time right? then again I don't think they did last year and that was painful.

Witch-Maw or Glint-Eye

Well, Conspiracy still has no spoilers and is releasing in exactly a month, so we'll see if they end up doing spoilers at all for it. I would expect the same treatment of CMD.

They're doing a neat thing, actually- they're letting 7 stores through the US host a single Conspiracy draft before the spoilers are out.

That's odd. Source? Last thing that I saw about conspiracy was some stuff for the event that a store got that explained some of the rules.

>The frankenstein equivalents on Innistrad are called Stitchers
>SOI comes with its jerking off Lovecraft
>Regret that they weren't called Reanimators
Next time we get Geralf, his card better be Geralf Cecani, Re-Animator
I forgot about Conspiracy 2. I want a new Muzzio that isn't an intentionally shittier Arcum Dagsson. They ruined Daghatar with that mindset too.

What happened with Daghatar?

wpn.wizards.com/en/article/unique-conspiracy-preview

They made explicitly made him to be a "friendlier" Ghave

Oh gotcha

What if Muzzio becomes Izzet colors

Oh shit
Oh shit
I just remembered
Muzzio is hinted to be making moves to take Marchesa out of power. Maybe that's because he becomes a renegade of some sort and becomes part Red?

>Commander 2016 will include with Nephilim with the errata "______ can be your commander."
R&D is lazy enough to do it

>Proper Izzet artificer

>That guy that wants to make everyone accept this as a valid commander

Well, to be fair, one of the commanders is always a reprint commander so far. But I thought it was said they wouldn't functionally errata the Nephilim. I'm sure they'll still be in the decks though.

It would be my wet dream come true, especially if he's still about being cheaty like the original Muzzio

I'm expecting them to do Nephilim, but not just 'reprints' like that. I'm expecting them to do Legendary versions with similar abilities (like Witch-Maw might be SOMENAMEHERE, The Witch's Maw" or something)

I'd say the second (I doubt we get 3 4 color commanders per deck) is either a DFC with 2 colors on one side and the other 2 on the back, or a 2 color creature with off-color mana symbols in the text box.

I don't they errata stuff anymore, do they?

Has no casting cost, you can't play it.

They don't like power-level errata.

why exactly have they still not banned sol ring and meme crypt

>one player gets these cards in their starting hand
>drops 6 mana worth of shit on turn 2 and spends the rest of the game as archenemy

name 1 good thing that these cards actually add to the experience

Because "is OP when you have 2/99 specific cards in your opening hand" isn't a good enough reason to ban things.

In multiplayer, they're very strong early plays, but they plaster a huge target on you for the first few turns.

Also they'll never ban Sol Ring considering they've put it in EVERY precon.

No, no. It's okay. I can play it for free. I mean we're tossing basic EDH rules out the window.

It makes new players feel like hot shit when they draw into a Sol Ring during their first game with a precon and keeps them around

Also it's 2 fucking cards in a 99 card deck you dingus

Goodness you're mad

Do we know any of these stores? I'd road trip for that.

>it's 2 fucking cards in a 99 card deck you dingus
That's kind of a weak argument. Sol ring/crypt are an example, but there are plenty of 'cheap' cards like that. If you have 6-7 of those, there is about 10% chance you will start with at least one.

Exactly how many of these "big turn 1 plays" do you think a deck can support?

And, again, they need to put you REALLY fucking far ahead considering they paint a huge target on you for the first few turns and turn the game into 3v1 until like, turn 6.

Who cares? No one's banning Sol Ring, Serra Ascendant, or any other card someone beat you with.

What's the worst they could do? kill him? at that point you already attacked once of twice AND made your opponents spend a removal. Hell, in the right deck he can even come back by turn 2-3 to fuck shit up again.

forgot pic

>or any other card someone beat you with
it's the other way around actually. I have those.

The worst they could do is answer the threat and then keep ganging up on you for another four turns. I've seen it happen. A turn 1 6/6 is not enough advantage to counteract playing 3v1 for the following 5 turns.

user let's take a look at this

The Nephilim are currently the only 4-color creatures in the game, so for those who want to use them, it's not unreasonable for them to ask their group if they can. MaRo has also gone on record saying the Nephilim should be legendary. I don't think it's unreasonable that a group would houserule them as legendary. In a casual format, the rules are not ironclad.

No group in their right mind would allow a 0CMC 20/20 indestructible flier as a commander.

>What's the worst they could do? kill him?
I'd say exile is worse

Don't know if my deck ever got any feedback in the previous thread so I'm posting it again, not looking for recommendations.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/that-old-graveyard-magic/

A 0 CMC one, no.

I'd allow Marit Lage all day, and then remind them as soon as the game starts that (pick one)

1) A null CMC cannot be paid
2) She has no color indicator or mana cost so she's colorless and their deck better be, too
3) As a token she stops existing as soon as SBAs are checked if she's anywhere but the battlefield, and that includes the Command Zone

"politics" argument? They could do that shit with anything, according to you; ''oh, cast future sight? well, let's gang up on you''. ''an eldrazi? now, you're dead''. That's not how it works.

Not everyone will be directly screwed, so not everyone will respond. That guy who took the blow will be angered, that's for sure (and perhaps open for attacks of other players), but Everyone? that only happens when i piss off everyone.

If it makes you a threat and does not instantly end the game or put you far enough ahead to outpace 3v1, then that is absolutely "how it works".

All right, fine fine.

is my commander.

Sol Ring and Mana Crypt are strong enough to make a player win if no other one can slow them down or catch up, but an Eldrazi, Future Sight, or Serra Ascendant just are not the same thing.

I don't really see how the ability is blue at all. It's definitely more green than blue.

>Hi Veeky Forums, my name is user and I like to complain about stale bullshit.
Hi user, my name is also user and I think I've seen that post before. Sol ring and mana crypt are meh. Winter orb on the other hand...

>planechase commander game starting on the plane where you get a free permanent
>guy plays that
>I put down tainted remedy

Gotta tell you it gave me a fuzzy feeling

>A null CMC cannot be paid
I am sad now

I assume the idea is that blue has synergy with graveyard strategies. It's hard to nail a splashy ability that all four colors can do.

None of the Nephilim's abilities make any sense for their colors. One of them is just Hazezon Tamar with one more color thrown in

>whenever a non-blue spell is played, all players must sacrifice a blue permanent

good change?

You do know Islands aren't blue right?

Such butthurt. Show me where the Nephilim touched you.

>Sol Ring in every precon

Yeah, don't ever expect that to be banned.

I mean I get where you're coming from on this, but why is everybody so sure of that?

Although it's probably the weakest of the Nephilim, Witch-Maw will always hold a special place in my heart for being one of the first rares I got in the game.

Why are the nephilim so hideous and scary?

Anybody know their lore?

Because they hate rendering things people can go buy in a store not usable. Hell, they banned Stoneforge Mystic in Standard not long after an Event Deck containing a Mystic came out, and they amended the rule to "Stoneforge Mystic is banned in Standard, unless you are running this exact list with no changes" because they didn't want people to buy the Event Deck and it not be playable.

Okay fair enough

Maybe the next commander set will leave out the sol rings and give a window for a banning

They banned Trade Secrets and it was reprinted in the very first Commander product

but I get what you're saying

God I do not miss trade secrets even a little bit

It was in ONE deck.

Sol Ring has been in 20.

But why do people want it banned so bad? Because it's a strong t1 play? I have literally never heard another reason, unlike deadeye, but even he's not that bad.

>Why are the nephilim so hideous and scary?
>Anybody know their lore?

They're supposed to be the "old gods that were defeated and hid, biding their time to return"

Wrong, I thought they were Hebrew pre-humans that were too powerful and god banished them underground.

They're basically elder gods of Ravnica that fell into obscurity as Ravnica advanced. I don't know any details about them.

We're talking about Magic lore, user.

Sol ring and mana crypt are almost universally recognized to be broken it's more a matter of whether you think edh is the place where broken cards are allowed (I completely understand this sentiment) or if you think edh should be pushed toward a more multiplayer friendly direction

If you're one of those people who thinks deadeye and other splashy combo pieces are more broken than sol ring (or even worth mentioning in the same conversation) we have nothing to discuss

How am I doing?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-banana-man-and-his-graveyard-band/

I have a sneaking suspision there is far too much jank

>people still want to ban Sol Ring and Mana Crypt
They're banned in Duel, isn't that good enough for you?

What are the essentials in G/B elves?

>Deadeye Navigator isn't more broken than sol ring

I can't believe it, this has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen posted in /edh/

Well I mean yeah, it is good enough for me

But strictly speaking, should the multiplayer banlist take into account the French banlist?

It depends on your philosophy toward edh

I think people enjoy edh in part because its the only format where cards like wheel of fortune and windfall and sol ring are legal and unrestricted, I mean technically they are restricted but the point is they are no more restricted than craw wurm

People like to play with these iconic cards from throughout magic history and edh is kinda the only and best place for this, considering the money requirements for vintage

If we're talking strictly balance purposes, there is no excuse whatsoever for crypt and sol ring to be legal

>he thinks deadeye navigator is broken at all, to any degree whatsoever

Literal shit-eating monogloid

not banning cyclonic rift?

I disagree with you there. I just want to point out that the removal and win prevention in this format is the best of any. Even if you get off your turn one Sol Ring+Mana Crypt magical Christmasland turn three kill, in a multiplayer game, someone is going to have a Swords, or a Path, or a Counterspell, or a Doom Blade. I hate to pull the politics argument, but if someone really does go for the kill that early, they WILL get targeted and taken out first.

>he can't deal with a 7 mana spell

How do you even play?

Deadeye must be your waifu, nobody else would get this upset over it

Does anyone else think this card is a little too overpowered in commander?

command beacon + quicksilver amulet

Checkmate atheists

Works well with deadeye navigator, go big or go home

>you're stupid
>no you're retarded
>WOW you must be mad to call me retarded! Only angry people do that

K

The thing is, commander is very balanced. You can't tell me it's any more unbalanced than other formats. If Sol Ring/Mana Crypt were really fucking with game balance that hard, everyone would agree they needed a ban. Prophet players saw the ban coming from a mile off. Same with Prime Time, Sylvan, or any of the other banned cards. Face it, the bans in this format generally resemble a near-unanimous agreement by the players, except where big money cards or Sheldon's feelings are involved.

Rule 108.2: Tokens aren't considered cards
Rule 704.5d: If a token is in a zone other than the battlefield, it ceases to exist

It's a little centralizing in that it's kinda hard to look at a green deck and not say it would be better with craterhoof or worse without

But it's not oppressive, just a staple

>110.5e A token is subject to anything that affects permanents in general or that affects the token’s card type or subtype. A token isn’t a card (even if represented by a card that has a Magic back or that came from a Magic booster pack).
>A token isn’t a card

You couldn't be anymore dumb if you tried user. Give up, I won.

if we're saying nephilim are legendary now, Marit lage is a card

My group playes both multiplayer edh and 1v1 French edh with the standard edh banlist

>bans are universally accepted
>except when they aren't

A lot of people felt that prophet of kruphix and sylvan primordial bans were just as you described, a case of sheldon's feelings clouding his judgment

Personally I think sol ring and crypt are obviously more broken than prime time and prophet of kruphix

I don't mind then being legal though because otherwise I wouldn't be able to play mine

>more broken than Prime Time
You know what, I'm not really sure either way on that one.
>more broken then Prophet
No. Ring and Crypt are two extra mana. Prophet is so much more.

>I am so triggered that some people houserule Nephilim as commanders in a casual format that I will outright ignore the rules of the base game
You know, I thought I had a Platinum Mad gif, but I can't find it anywhere.

Commander players, what is your favorite color/tribes to build around, even if they don't feel fully viable?

Ive been sitting on and tweaking my blue/green/black eldrazi deck. Big meaty eldrazi claws barring down with a big dash of Newzilek control. The right draw cards played and kozi just blocks everything while the other big boys go to town.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-07-16-eldrazi-domination/

>break rules of a game
>someone else breaks rules of the game
>OMG U R SO TRIGGERED

Get over yourself. I don't care if you houserule or not, EDH is supposed to be a casual format for fun so if that works, fine. Just don't pretend like you aren't breaking the rules.

Holy shit you are autismo maximo.

I'm tired of losing to the same bullshit every game when these faggots protect eachothers combo at the table with multiple counterspells. Best deck to shut down degenerate palinchron / usual deadeye combos? I want access to the inevitability of combos, and the ability to disrupt theirs whenever. I was thinking Damia as she's always seemed so strong and in the right colors for the control deck at the table. I finally got enough money to splurge on EDH, Any ideas?