What is the strongest drink in your setting?

What is the strongest drink in your setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=18JmieM8SFc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_proof
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pig.

Its a long running joke from our very first campaign.

We were in a town called boomshackles. Strongest drink was Boomshackle Boomshine. Its now in every campaign since, regardless of time, setting, ect.

In my setting there is an island filled with criminals which were all freed after the guards were moved to the mainland for BBEG related reasons.
Anyway there is a tavern on this island in which the strongest drink is made. It all started when the tolerance of the inhabitants began to outpace the alcohol content of the beer. The people were completely unable to get wasted, even though what they were drinking would deck a normal man. But these were the crustiest, saltiest men on the planet.
Anyway, the native elves attempted to poison the water supply of the the convicts, which the elves interpreted as being the tavern.
After the bartender beat the fuck out of the offending elves he promised to clean out the supply later.
But he forgot and the next day her served up his usual customers his usual beer but before he could take it back the man downed it. And promptly fell off his stool. The bartender thought he had died instantly but really he was just off his ass. The elf poison had been just the thing to make the most heinously powerful beer of all time, completely and utterly lethal to any mere mortal but not these men.

I never got around to naming it though.

The strongest stuff the party has come across so far I called Bugman's XXX, and was premium stuff to the point that they sold 3 bottles for something like 600 gold

Medical Alcohol.

Northern Orsic (orc) Brandy is probably one of the strongest.

Alcohol elemental. You must defeat it in combat to earn the right to drink it, otherwise it will kill you from inside.

Weedohol.

I really like that name, would you mind if I add it to my setting? I know you can't stop me, but I'd feel dirty if I took it without permission.

Bugman's?

The strongest commonly available drink is elf wine, which needs to be watered down for other races to be able to safely drink it. Due to some magic properties many varieties are more than 100% alcohol. Even the elves aren't sure how that works.
That's not the strongest though. It's very common for dark elves to make and sell swill that's attempted to be passed of as true elf wine, and things tend to get more out of hand the stronger they try to make them. It's made even worse by the fact that dark elves lack the tolerance true elves have and can barely sample what they make. Black Moon is what happened when they completely disregard making it seem remotely palatable. It's reserved for the most drunkard of elves, foolhardy idiots, and the suicidal. A few drops can sterilize water and it's half jokingly said that a bottle poured into a town's water supply with have everyone passed out by night, so it does have some practical uses.

Spirit spirits.

A weaker spirit once possessed a barkeeper for reasons lost to history. During the possession the barkeeper noticed how similar being possessed is to drunkenness, only much stronger.

After the spirit left the barkeeper, he started experimenting with binding spirits to his spirits. When the spirit was drunk, that would allow the spirit to possess the drinker. Theses spirits are too weak to gain much control of their host or to hold on to what control they had for long before the host drives them out.

But while the spirit possesses the drinker, the drinker experiences extreme drunkenness without the vomiting and with a lesser hangover in the morning.

Anyone skilled in the occult would notice that the barkeeper is too weak in occult matters to be binding so many spirits. Unless the spirits were willing and/or he was getting help from elsewhere, which raises the question about what the other party gets in exchange.

Depends on what you mean by "strongest".
- 'Kraken', brewed from the blood of krakens from the astral plane, tastes plain wrong, and you will likely experience sensations from parts of your body not normally meant to experience such things.
- Mephisto's Wormwood is an absinthe made from the flowers of evil, which are only nourished with the souls of sinners. The distillation process is a highly-kept secret, though it is suspected that hellfire is involved.
- Xorian Cider is made by beholders. Your heart will burn.

An ungodly brew that has to be held in specially prepared metal containers or else it starts corrupting whatever you drink it out of. It's not even all alcohol, more acting as a literal cocktail of the world's craziest drugs, some of which are magical. Somehow the whole thing doesn't combust on opening.
Basically, your body goes into stasis and changes colors a few times over the span of 24-48 hours while your mind travels the full emotional and pain/pleasure spectrum.
It's like having your head held under boiling tar while your arms freeze, your legs are being melted off by acid, and your hips feel like you're having the best sex in the world, except the locations and sensations change and switch in ways that don't work normally.
And then there's the hallucinations and lucid dreams.
When you wake up, you don't know who, what, or where you are, and you can't move your limbs for an hour. After a day or so, everything comes back into focus, and you get a splitting headache and phantom/dead nerves for a week while your brain reformats itself.
It looks like and feels like tar (touching it with exposed skin can cause blurry vision), but it pours like a much thinner syrup, hissing when it touches air and catching on fire when poured into water. It's called many things, but the common name for it is Black Nightmare.

!*!

It's name is hard to pronounce, though its the Proto-Dwarvish word for the concepts of death, fire, and foolishness (which, in Common, sounds like a swallowed scream). Rumoured to have been brewed by the gods who created Dwarves to use as a way to get rid of them if they turn away from their original purpose.

DC 35 Con; on failed roll, roll for a Death Saving Roll. Fail that and you go unconscious and have to make Death Saving Throws for real. Succeed on the DC and any Dwarf that watches you drink swears an oath of loyalty to you. Succeed on the initial Death Saving Throw and you're simply unconscious for a week and lose a total of 5 stat points between Int, Wis, and Con.

The Flounder Pounder: A raw fish, pounded with a large mallet, and dropped into a tankard full of moonshine.

...how much does it weigh?

now that you mention it, some species of flounder can get up to 20 pounds

it's a drink that'll put meat on your bones, son

>many varieties are more than 100% alcohol

no fuck you

>- 'Kraken', brewed from the blood of krakens from the astral plane, tastes plain wrong, and you will likely experience sensations from parts of your body not normally meant to experience such things.
As long as those sensations are coming from parts of my body that are still attached I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Fish Beer.

It's beer fermented with fish heads and guts, and is a preferred drink of the poor fisherman folk on the southeasther shores,

It has the color and consistency of tar and smells like you'd think.

Due to the ancient secrets of its brewing, it is roughly 80% alcohol.

It's vodka.

Too be fair, if he's talking say, proof instead of percentage it works because 100 proof is 50% alcohol by volume

Ether Brew. Imagine Moonshine, but stronger. Smelling the stuff gives you a buzz. Downing a shot is halfway to blackout drunk.

Oh, and it also grants you a temporary level of Wild Magic Sorcerer. Get ready to be drunk on booze AND uncontrollable power. The only reason it's allowed as a party item is because it's almost guaranteed that you'll get drunk enough that the DM has to take over your player being that drunk, and it's a toss-up as to whether what you'll do while drunk will be a help to you or your party.

He said "due to magic" so I assume that he did really mean % rather than proof.

But at that point he could have just said "due to magic the drinks are more powerful than pure, 100% alcohol" but I suppose violating the laws of physics is still acceptable as long as it's magic.

Elven Brandy, which has to be called Brandy and not wine for legal reasons relating to its alcohol content. Elves grade by the decade, not year, so a bottle with a 3 on it aged for 30 years in magically regenerating barrels (since after about 10 the 'good stuff's s usually all leaked out) made of wood from a fruit tree that won't even grow on earth

1-3 decades is considered the most basic stuff

>'Kraken', brewed from the blood of krakens from the astral plane, tastes plain wrong
>Not 'plane wrong'

Ya blew it m8

Psion's Sip

It's so potent, even thinking about it gets you tipsy.

Decade old running joke. It's called the #4. Basically the platonic ideal of a stiff knock you flat on your candy ass drink. It always comes in a filthy glass bottles with #4 painted on it.

This shit all sounds great I always love minor setting details like food and drink or in more modern games popular chain stores and local radio stations
It helps flesh out a setting so much but most games gloss over it

Bogrot's Gutblaster. It's touted as "the ultimate drink for manly men" and comes with a big warning label that reads "WARNING: NOT FOR GIRLY MEN" and "no refunds" in much smaller text. The secret ingredient? It's just a bottle of concentrated molecular acid. NO REFUNDS!

Imagine for a moment something that can get a robot drunk

Imagine something that can get a group of robots drunk

Imagine something that can get a group of robots so drunk they end up making an Orky as fuck battle wagon that engages a renegade machine antagonizing beach goers

Imagine something that can get a group of robots SO drunk that the Orky dragon truck monstrosity they end up making winds up spawning a minor cult dedicated to worshiping it

That is the strongest drink of our last setting. Nanites are not for the faint of heart.

For every glass of 120% alcohol, there's just 20% more than the full glass.

So far, an unnamed herbal liquor the party found in a silver hip flask on a glass display case in the treasure room. It tastes of mint, aniseed and other, harder to identify spices, although it's mostly burning owing to its 85% by volume alcohol content. Of course, they don't know how immensely useful it is in other ways, since they killed the collector.

I don't understand why you'd still use the "proof" system.

I had a bunch of halfling riverboat traders smuggling a contraband spirit labeled "Gimlet's Olde Dwarven" when the rogue went snooping through the cargo.

It's made from subterranean mushrooms and isn't considered safe for human consumption.

Mother of god, that was mesmerizing to watch. I wonder how it tastes.

"Concentrated Binge."
A clearish-blue moonshine reserved entirely for a simple night of forgetfulness, loss of inhibition, and an excuse to call in a sick day due to migranes.

Engineered with complicated compounds that slowly metabolise the alcohol and hold the secretion of the aldehyde wastes that comes with it, Concentrated Binge stays within the body for over two hours, yet the effects last for over twice as long. Only one shot's worth is needed for this effect. If double-shot, the effects would intensify, and cause very personal migranes, and may lead to hospitalization.

One bottle is enough for an entire party of fifty.

That's a tall glass of will save right there :^)

Satyr Fire is a dark red liquid made from fermented, poisonous berries that grow inside dead trees, and it is only ever used by the Satyr themselves as a drink Satyr nobles taste once and only once, drinking a shot at the end of their right to passage, when they gain the legal right to rape and to resist rape.

Strawberry flavoured horse semen spiked with tailored drugs

>The party Fighter asks for the strongest drink instead of the most expensive

Shoutout to the Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster?

Lang the Brewer, a mortal who ascended after death to provide liquid refreshment to the court of the Celestial Emperor, once produced twenty-three vats of sacred rice wine, infused with raw cosmic soulstuff, to give to the Leviathan during its endless battle with the Great Gods of the Earth and Sea. The great beast drank eleven barrels with each of its heads before passing out, giving the Earth and Sea time to pin it to the base of creation, where it is still sleeping it off to this day. The tides rise and fall with its breathing, it causes earthquakes as it shifts in its sleep, and when it wakes up it will have the *worst* goddamn headache.

The Earth and Sea were rewarded for their valiant struggle against the Leviathan with the hands of Lady Moon and Lady Sun in marriage, and it was decided the twenty-third barrel would be saved for the wedding banquet. The Heavenly deities, Great Gods of the earth, and even the Demons of the Gulf were all present for the festivities, and together managed to get halfway through the barrel before common sense and complete lack of coordination forced them to stop.

The Pole Star wobbled off its axis, the Sun rose the next day from the wrong direction, and when the Sea returned home, he briefly tried to settle onto the tops of the tallest mountains before his brother steered him in the right direction. The last half of the last barrel was sealed away in Lang's storeroom, but, according to legend, those who earn the Brewer's favor are allowed a sip after they pass on, after which they immediately pass out.

That's pretty neat, user. Well done.

Bilogees.

Its like four loko and cocaine

dragon's breath

Bravo sir, that's some good stuff.

For you

Styx Wash. I love me Planescape.

Every fucking time I see this webm I just have to watch it start to finish at least once. Damn

Lang usually doesn't allow his followers a taste of the drink while they still live; the Celestial Fire interacts with mortal bodies in potentially dangerous ways. One human who managed to sneak into Lang's home and steal a sip flushed so brightly red he was visible from the earth as a comet, streaking across the sky as he evaded his pursuers; he eventually fell out of the bottom of the universe and landed at the base of the World Lotus in the Garden of Kotep, the Creator, who it is said took it all in good humor.

Another mortal, a sake brewer herself, earned the right to one boon of her choosing from the Brewer for her dedication and humility, and chose to taste the most potent of brews while still living to giver her something to aspire to and perfect her craft. Lang obliged, and the cupful she received was indeed potent, so much so that it literally got her pregnant; the raw soulstuff that gives Celestial Fire its name congealed in her body, and nine months later she gave birth to triplets.

These souls were still barely formed, however (most souls originate as a much lower form of life, and slowly grow in complexity and capacity as they ascend up through plants and animals before their final incarnation as humans), and two of the children were wild and savage beings, empowered by the Heavenly Brew running through their veins, a danger to all living things. Their rampage was eventually stopped by their third brother, who became known as Jin the Fatherless, a wild, passionate, but ultimately compassionate hero who traveled around the world, going on many adventures, before eventually settling down in the far west, where he founded a dynasty. To this day, the kings of Kesh still bear the surname 'Liquor-blooded', and are known for their hot tempers, amorous tendencies, and habit of embracing courtiers while yelling 'I love you man!'.

(Thanks for the feedback, anons, this is the best worldbuilding I've got done in a while.)

Sleek brandy.

There was once a very peculiar wizard who sailed among the stars in wildspace. Among the mny things he did to keep himself occupied during his long trips through the stars when he ran out of funds to craft constucts and items with was brewing alcohol. One ominous day a sleek, a ferret-like creature that hunts verin upon ships of wildspace, got into his current batch of brandy. Unfortunately no one, including the wizard, noticed this until after the liquor was decanted and filtered the final time, because failed brewing checks will do that to you.

The resulting liquor was absolutely awful, as sleeks do not ferment well, especially in hard brandies. It was potable - just - and mildly poisonous as well. It was an instant hit among the scro, the lizardfolk, and the more self destructive crew members. While the stuff itself inflicted minor con damage in addition to the wisdom damage of the alcohol, being known to drink the stuff was worth a bonus to intimidate and bluff checks due to respect or incredulity on the part of the defender.

Scro, Lizardfolk, and illithids would pay top prices for the stuff (the latter would pickle brains in to and the resulting hallucinations upon devouring said brains were supposedly prophetic).

"Fruit Juice".

It used bullshit supersaturation hax to end up as something like 500% alcohol. One sip would knock a Storm Giant on its ass.

( This was back in the 80s when we were all still in high school, and not terribly serious about anything.).

Just think of the container as holding two or more instances of the same drink in different timelines. Like he said: magic.

I am stealing this.

youtube.com/watch?v=18JmieM8SFc

>Lorry load, interesting cheeses.

Australia

a jug of pure ethanol is 500% proof by volume.

Wizards found out that time dilation magic combined with physical distortion magic can create a 300 year old 440 proof wine in a week. Usually sells for around $25,000 a bottle due to wizards being fucking rare.

Impossibrew. DC 35 or forced delirirum for 8 hours the. Unconscious for 1d12 hours. Any roll under 10 results in death.

500% proof is 2.5% vol, because 1 proof is 0.5% vol.

100%=1

Do you not understand elementary school math?

Moonberry Wine.

Magical wine served in a very small glass, made by gnomes.

They wine is made with hallucinogenic berries and pure alchemically produced alcohol.

The wine is perfectly clear and has almost no scent or taste to it, with only the slightest hint of berry.

Upon drinking, the drinker feels little effect other than the alcohol, which has been treated to be less effective upon entering a stomach.

The second drink begins the proper effects, mild hallucinations, visual, audible or otherwise, typically hard to notice effects in a distracting environment.

The third drink hits hard, causing significant illusory effects, often causing the drinker to completely lose track of their environment and inevitably pass out, usually hallucinating in a moonlit field, spotted with bushes. (containing moonberries)

The effect lasts about four hours, and the gnomes who produce it enjoy starting drinking contests with unprepared visitors, usually pretending to drop out after the second drink.

The drink requires secret fort/con saves on the part of the GM/DM.

100%=/=0.5%
% has a meaning you know.

100% proof DOES, in fact, equal 0.5%. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_proof

>Alcohol proof in the United States is defined as twice the percentage of alcohol by volume. Consequently, 100-proof whiskey contains 50% alcohol by volume; 86-proof whiskey contains 43% alcohol.[3]

Read nigga read

So in other words, you AREN'T capable of elementary school math. 500% proof = 5 proof = 2.5% vol.

> Elf Poison
> Poison Elf
is the obvious name

>Read nigga read

You first, nigga. 100% proof =/= 100 proof.

brandy

Nice.

If a character has immunity to poison in your setting, are they immune to the effects of alcohol?

I had a player 'win' several drinking competitions after his character found an Amulet of Proof against Poison in a sunken pirate ship.

I actually had this come up regarding demons.My interpretation was that they CAN get drunk if they want to, but they won't suffer any of the negative effects like passing out or hangover. Of course, that's just demons. If it was from a magic item, I'd probably say that they might as well be drinking water.

My nigga of niggas.

Dreamtime
Pure alcohol mixed with petrol

ugh, I hate these hyperpixellated games that are coming out right now, "muh retro art" bullshit.

How hard is it to anti-alias shit, this isn't 1989!

I wish to hear more of this setting.

This is gold right there

I once had one called Gully Brew, it was the invention of a gully dwarf that aspired to be the greatest brewer that ever was, not sure how she came to that dream but whatever, it was entirely by accident that she managed to make the drink, she searched high and low for ingredients, the gully way, and eventually managed to snatch a couple potions from the groups alchemist that she mixed into the brew, was effectively skunk water, but it knocked everyone on their asses, except the gully, and the two times people failed the saves resulted in horrifying mutations, the first turned a family of gnomes into shark toothed ghouls, and the second effectively started a zombie apocalypse for a small empire. Needless to say, it wasn't a serious game, was fun though.

The Devil Spirit.

Samogon, destilled from potatos and gods know what, milky white. Tempered with red pepper, and lighted up.

The custom is that you have to drink the whole bucket, on fire, quick enough that your beard isn't burnt (my dwarfs are slavs).

Hurlg
>inb4 Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster

Alchemy right there...