Is ranged the lamest concept for a class? It's just "guy in woods." The only reason it exists is because of Aragorn...

Is ranged the lamest concept for a class? It's just "guy in woods." The only reason it exists is because of Aragorn. Half of the time it has no real idea what its abilities are, and literally one of its main gimmicks exists because of Drizzt Do'Urden.

Other urls found in this thread:

wideopenspaces.com/10-badass-mountain-men-time/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Rangers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like having an animal friend but I don't want to be a Druid

They make excellent waifus

They don't shave down there.

Huge bush.

I agree

Warblades...

Samurai... In 3.5 it was a class even shitter than a Fighter, though really thats all they where.

At least a Fighter was great up until level 10, but they had to make a seperate class for a Samurai.

Did all the things a Fighter did, but nowhere near as good. Then had some shitty intimidate based abilities that a Fighter could do equally as well with... A FEW SKILL POINTS PUT INTO INTIMIDATE.

Honestly a terrible class.

Even Ninjas had areas of superiorjty over a Rogue, even a Scout was a better version of a Ranger.

But fucking Samurai!

Rangers have been a thing, though. Woodsmen that know not only how to fight, but also know how to survive on their own, hunt, scout, ambush and lay traps are a great addition to any army and it makes sense that it would end up as a class in a party.

Though I agree that the ranger should distance itself from Aragorn, his skills as king got mixed into it without making much sense.

Martial (direct damage) - Arcane (status effects):
Fighter - Warlord (Bard): consistent multi-attack damage and buffs;
Ranger - Druid: regen and debuffs;
Monk - Wizard: crowd control;
Rogue - Sorcerer (Warlock): spike damage and one-hit assassination;

Oh, and obviously,
Paladin - Cleric: spike healing and holy damage;

To be fair, Drizzt got to dual wield scimitars because in early renditions of D&D, rangers got to dual wield scimitars. His character was designed around the rules, not the other way around.

Correction
Wizard: everything

Obviously I mean RAI, not RAW.

Ranger is one of the coolest classes.

wideopenspaces.com/10-badass-mountain-men-time/

All those men were rangers.

> you go down on a ranger
>face check into their bush
>"CAPTAIN TEEMO REPORTING FOR DUTY!"
>blinded by a dart
>"Oh yeah, sorry about that, my dad cursed me with a castity Teemo when I was little girl"

Ranger is my favourite of the classic RPG classes.

I loves me some bushcraft, I loves me some scouting/reconnaissance, I love me some archery and sniping, I loves me some Aragon from Jackson Fellowship of The Ring leather duster aesthetic.

Bullshit, they're described as experts in bushcraft.

I really think Rangers shouldn't have spells. I always run with some sort of non-magic variant of the class.

Works for me.

Fighter is just "weapons guy".
Wizard is just "guy who casts spells".
Cleric is just "wizard who heals".
Barbarian is just "angry guy".
Druid is just "wizard in woods".

Shoot. I should have sage'd.

>Little girl
>Has a huge bush

user...

>Not basing your ranger on the Anglo-Saxon king.

Rangers were trained to be proficient with a variety of weapons such as swords,spears, daggers, bows and many other makeshift weapons. They were highly effective spies, assassins, and guerrillas. The rangers also had excellent knowledge of forestry and survival, in part due to the blessings of NĂºmenor and in part due to spending decades of their lives wandering the wilderness. They were quick, versatile, and experienced riders.

Whereas the rogue is more the brutish thug or thief, and the fighter is a battlefield formation soldier or honor duelist, the ranger is the practical soldier.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Rangers

I don't think they're ripping off Aragorn.

If Oppai Loli can be a thing then Hairy Loli can be a thing.

I've always thought that Rangers should kinda be Druid as Paladin is to Cleric.

They have some magic stuff to augment their good martial skills. The martial skill should be stuff based around guerrilla tactics, ranged attacks, and traps.

With utility skills around tracking, scavenging, etc.

In 5e speak, I'd make that their "archtype" choices too. Ranged Weapon Guy, Melee Two Weapon Skirmisher, and Trap Just as Keikaku Guy.

Each with an animal companion that helps them in hunting; ie, helps line up shots, distracts them for melee, leads them into traps.