Comfy games

Anyone have any recommendations for c o m f y games like pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Cq4DxbzSy9s
mediafire.com/download/eeliaevp5vij2ps/The_Quiet_Year.pdf
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1379/11/1379115013911.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ryuutama is hella comfy man.

Tell me more, sounds cozy.

It's basically Hayao Miyazaki's Oregon Trail. You have to manage resources as you travel from place to place and get into shenanigans along the way.

Bumping for comfy

personally I once had an extremely comfy one on one game of E6 D&D 3e a game whose rules Do Not lend themselves to any form of comfort but that was more because of the out of game environment than the game itself

The Quiet Year

That image triggers me.

Why are houses in the shadow of mountains thatched with reeds?

The slopes of the hills are so steep, they must be at the base of massive mountains. Yet reed roofing is a difficult craft and thatched roofing needs maintenance every decade or so. It is only used in areas where reeds are abundant > aquifer close to surface > swamplands or coast. In the mountains you just burn clay tiles. It is much easier and last longer than reed. And clay is abundant, streams wash it out of the mountains.

So why have a reed thatched house in the shadow of the mountains? It can't be aesthetic reasons, those field barely feed ten people. That farm is poor. There are no safeguards or even heavy doors, so there is likely a lord or government keeping the area peaceful and save from raiders. There must be larger fields of cash crop beyond view, probably directly governed by the lord. So this is not a subsistence farm, it is worker housing. And with all the windows covered it looks abandoned, despite the cared for fields.

It confuses me.

Sorry user
I don't know that much about architecture I just thought it looked comfy

> looked comfy

Chuubo's Marvellous Wish Granting Engine is a pretty comfy game.

I won't touch too much on the actual character mechanics, because they're kind of irrelevant beyond mentioning that it's a diceless game - success is based on your skills/attributes, plus spending Will to make an Intent. If your Intent (Will + Skill) beats the difficulty, you succeed.

Anyway, the way Chuubo's is different is that XP isn't attached to your character - instead, it's attached to your character's story, which is semi-predetermined, at least in the sense of the end goal you're trying to achieve (unless you want to abandon your story/quest). Doing things in line with your arc/quest gives you quest/arc XP, and when you get enough XP, you succeed at that story.
And when I say 'doing things', one of those things is Emotion XP, which is gotten just for, once a scene, expressing an appropriate emotion - as long as it's obvious to the other players. The game even encourages saying things like "I emote happy" or "I emote fear" to make it obvious, if there's no other way.

So for example, if you have a quest like "Have the most successful delivery business in town" (totally a reasonable quest within the game), and you spend a scene (spending some Will and making Intents) to get to the recipient's house on time, that's worth some Quest XP. And then you spend some time with your recipient, who's an old grandma, baking some cookies, and that's also some Quest/Arc XP. And you eat some cookies and say "These are great! I emote happy/love" and get some emotion XP.

I want this "comfy" meme to die.

You sound like you could use a blanket, a hot beverage, and a window to look out until you feel better.

youtu.be/Cq4DxbzSy9s

I believe the comfy is in the roleplaying, not the system.

Are there base-building games? Like, the PCs found a settlement somewhere and the game is about them reacting to events and helping it grow?

Similar to this user, any games let me be a comfy businessman?

Now you're just making me want to play Recettear.

>sending people to their death to rip off others on junk
>comfy

That was what a game of Ryuutama I was running, was like.

The party consisted of a noble wandering around just because, another noble wandering around in search of a wife, and a third noble who wanted to do good in the world.

The other two characters were a wandering huntsman and merchant, and the merchant convinced the entire party to loan her some money, and she'd pay them back 5 times what they originally gave her.

Ryuutama has some really good mechanics for the merchant class.

Meikyuu Kingdom -- the players are a king and the kings advisors, and they're...well, making a kingdom.

Shenanigans ensue as they explore dungeons, gain followers, and train up the followers.

Here, be soothed by this calming vista

Rather than that, what are some comfy ways to run a game? Comfy stories to tell, comfy characters to play?

I find more intimate games are more conducive to comfiness
One to Two players plus a DM

The first response I think is, 'define comfy'.

>I sleep on a bed of burned clay with thatch blankets that I have to replace every decade. What's your excuse for not knowing comfy?

You got a PDF of it?

mediafire.com/download/eeliaevp5vij2ps/The_Quiet_Year.pdf

Fuck off primitive technology, go back to making a video every other month while you get more cancerous fans

I wish he would upload more often, his stuff is really the tops

I am not he, for I would not be so comfy in a primitive setting

...Still want a tg definition for comfy, though. There's more to how it's used here than just a lack of unpleasantness, or an adjective for furniture...

Its just about as easy to explain as "moe" for me, its a feeling that is very abstract, but very strong. Hopefully someone more articulate than I can explain it

I don't know other anons, but Veeky Forums's definition of comfy, in so far as I've inferred, basically amounts to:
>Small scale plots (getting from A to B or building a home as opposed to world destroying catastrophes)
>Focus on party relationships over external ones (forming friendships between traveling companions, watching your bro's back, rather than constantly dealing with kings, captains, etc.)
>Creating something that lasts (a business, a village, a kingdom, rather than, as above, saving a world other people lead) so that the party can look back on their creations at the end.
>Optionally, being cute as fuck (Re: Ryuutama, Golden Sky Stories)

You forgot

>Less threatening threats. More obstacles than threats to safety or health

I include that as part of 'small scale', but I could've been clearer about that.

Well, I mean, on the road you're not going to run into a bandit that will gut you and take all your dosh, but rather something like a stern toll bridge or a physical barrier. Even if you do run into a bandit, he shouldn't be a cold killer, but a character the party has to act around to get out of it

I wanted to love this game, I really did, but the mechanics are such a mess and so poorly presented that I couldn't even stand to learn it.

I'de like comfy games more if they weren't inevitably about fat 18-26 year old men sitting around describing Cat-Girl head-patting adventures.

My Quiet Year games always end in a fractured community that we all agree has no chance against the Frost Shepherds. Definitely fun though, and I can see the potential for comfy.

Microscope and Kingdom have similar co-op worldbuilding.

user.

user, calm down. Nobody else gives a single shit about that.

I love that image. It makes me want to roll a bard / minstrel. And I hate bards / minstrels in general.

>Cat-Girl head-patting adventures.

ain't nothing wrong with that.

The game of the quiet year I played involved cyborg praying mantis aliens, it just sorta happened.

Anywhere I might find a pdf? I might buy the game but would like to see it first

It is a pretty rockin' picture.

Munchausen is pretty comfy if you want it to be: you're all drunken explorers discussing your last adventure. Drinking at the table is encouraged.

comf bump

I really want to run GSS, but I have a really hard time wrapping my head around challenges that cannot cut, smash, burn or drown someone.

I mean, I can think of challenges outside of those four, but I have no idea how to make them engaging.

So I'd just fuck it up. And I'm pretty much the only member of my group that can actually run a game, so I can't even play it to get some perspective.

Spend a few more years hacking and slashing. I'm sure some wisdom will eventually coalesce. I played DnD gold rush for ten years before I discovered you can ROLEplay.

All you have to change for slice of life is the scope. Evil dragon stole the princess who knows the spell that saves the land from natural disasters = mean boyfriend stole big sister who tells the stories that save bedtime from being a terrible chore. Sneak, bluff, and negotiate challenges remain, combat turns into competition.

Every character has a social network. Nobody is a violent loner with nothing to lose, actions have consequences. This presents opportunities as well as limits conflicts.

Picture the reaction of teachers and parents to shivving a kid in a school yard fight like it was a prison gang brawl. Remember that when you narrate the world reacting to the PCs overdoing it.

Way to make a hell of a lot of assumptions there.

Yeah, I'm in roughly the same boat.
I like the idea behind GSS, but I don't feel I can get into the right mindset to actually run a game.

Nice deflect.

Because gassho-zukuri houses are good at dealing with the heavy snow that the area gets.

>moon logic
makes sense

Isn't any game "comfy" with the right group of people...
Can't MAID or Forsooth he comfy...
Imagine playing a Shakespearean comedy.

>narrate the world reacting to the PCs overdoing it

Eh, that can escalte very quickly.
>I attack the teachers
>I attack the police
>I attack the military
If people want to murderhobo they will. You need to have a group of people who want to tell a different kind of story.

>Every character has a social network. [...] actions have consequences. This presents opportunities as well as limits conflicts.
This is very good advice. No story is ever 'finished', its effects ripple out to everything else. Bootstrap it by the first few times making the ripples go hard up against the PCs' friends and interests.
Hell, that's good advice even for murderhobo action-adventure campaigns.

that shower and bed are too comf

>Implying the Beggar's Opera was comfy

>what makes things sad?
>why isn't that guy happy?
>how can you help?

Sometimes GSS is just about helping people out and helping those people overcome their problems.

>implying you don't want to headpat a catgirl

Yeah, til she randomly bites you

>implying that's a problem

The vast majority of the time, when a cat bites you seemingly out of the blue while you're petting it, that's its way of saying "ok, I've gotten bored with that, now let's play!"

>Dumb things are less dumb when attractive people do them

What does it feel like to be utterly vapid?

Are you saying my cat's DTF?

>four ears

Not that kind of play, you sick fuck.

Byumpin

>comfy characters to play

Priests. I always play a holy man when I get the chance, just hanging out being kind to folks, trusting in my higher power.

For general comfort, nothing I like better than an unambiguous good vs. evil, or at least hero vs. villain. Sometimes I don't want shades of grey- I want to play Barbarians of Lemuria, I want to go to a strange land and kill some sorcerer because sorcerers are uniformly assholes, and I want to finish the session reclining on my big stack of gold being fed grapes by servant girls, only for my cash to run out by next session so I have to go on another adventure.

MAID is actually a super-comfy game so long as you don't have a tableful of perverts (or really just one pervert who ruins it for the rest of you).

The mechanics are super straightforward, and without perversion it basically plays out like any sitcom - a bunch of odd characters running around in a space doing stuff and occasionally getting in each other's way. The master asks you to prepare the house for a party of 200 guests, you have to haul all kinds of stuff out of storage and find a butcher who can make a couple hundred steaks in an afternoon, stress explosions, hilarity ensues.

And I stand by the statement that the random tables in MAID are some of the best ever written.

That's wrong, MAID is also comfy when you have a tableful of perverts to play it with.

>Not playing it with perverts

Whatever floats your boat. I've never been able to get a full table of people I'd be willing to play a lewd game with - a few people I've known over the years could potentially make it a good time, but never had them all at once.

Is there an english translation of Meikyuu out there?

img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1379/11/1379115013911.pdf

Unofficial, I believe, but it can work.

danke