What do you guys think about this video?

What do you guys think about this video?

youtube.com/watch?v=gVgRlPGS69c

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7CfyU1mOZ1E
youtube.com/watch?v=YtUgtX3ncTk
lloydianaspects.co.uk/dance/swingcv.html
lloydianaspects.co.uk/25facts.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's Lindybeige, therefore shit. Don't even need to watch the video.

Plenty of games have chasing rules. Has Lindybeige considered not playing D&D?

Even D&D has chasing rules.
Hell, one D&D adventure actually introduced a card-based chase sequence.

>Roleplaying games need rules for chases
Even *Pathfinder* has competent chase rules.

Lindybeige should stick to talking about historical arms and not act like the fact that he knows one topic really well means that his opinions on everything else aren't total shit.

F.A.T.E sounds like his ideal system.

Not nearly enough tables and modifiers for him.

>EVASION AND PURSUIT
In round-by-round movement, simply counting off squares, it’s
impossible for a slow character to get away from a determined fast
character without mitigating circumstances. Likewise, it’s no
problem for a fast character to get away from a slower one.
When the speeds of the two concerned characters are equal, there’s
a simple way to resolve a chase: If one creature is pursuing another,
both are moving at the same speed, and the chase continues for at
least a few rounds, have them make opposed Dexterity checks to see
who is the faster over those rounds. If the creature being chased wins,
it escapes. If the pursuer wins, it catches the fleeing creature.
Sometimes a chase occurs overland and could last all day, with
the two sides only occasionally getting glimpses of each other at a
distance. In the case of a long chase, an opposed Constitution
check made by all parties determines which can keep pace the
longest. If the creature being chased rolls the highest, it gets away.
If not, the chaser runs down its prey, outlasting it with stamina.

Literally found it by ctrl+F the word "chase" in the dungeon master's guide

such broad horizons you have

youtube.com/watch?v=7CfyU1mOZ1E
>has NPCs kill a big monster while the PCs watch because they weren't fighting it right

Is Lindybeige That Guy/GM?

So... they needed an army just to use the gear they would need... He really does sound like a dick.

>It's a "Lindybeige commentates on RPGs" video

Night's Black Agents.

Have you considered a new meme?

Is this that perpetually growling guy who said he wouldn't allow female play characters in RPGs because he thinks female warriors never existed? If so, fuck him.

It's the best proof Lindy had his last TTRPG game session something like a decade ago, if not more

>Adventurers can't have a large pouch of different weapons with different modifiers for different monsters
Why the FUCK not? In D&D, a Handy Haversack, a magical pouch with close to infinite storing space, is an item you can afford from level 3 onward. It's cheap as fuck. Why the FUCK couldn't a fighter fill it with various weapons like a +4 lonsword of ogreslaying or a +5 antidragon axe?

>But the military is allowed to have specialized tools to fight giant turtles
Alright... and what are FOUR GUYS supposed to do?

Yes, Lindybeige is really That DM. That DM who thinks he's a lot smarter than he really is when in fact he's just being pedantic and ruining everyone's game. If I wanted a realistic starving and diseases peasant experience, I'd sell everything I own and buy a mudhut in Uganda.

>Lindybeige should stick to talking about historical arms and not act like the fact that he knows one topic really well means that his opinions on everything else aren't total shit.

The only topic I think he knows anything about is some form of dancing that I can't recall the name of.

The only reason he gets attention is that he's got a british accent and is impeccably good at sounding like he knows what he's talking about

The crying has already commenced far out.

I honestly don't give a shit about chase rules, just make shit up roll some dice for on the spot rules whatever I don't think it's that important and disagree with him here.

I disagree with most of what this guy says to be honest but he brings up the odd good point that makes it worth while to have a look at his channel here and there.

It is pretty funny to see the thing people cry about in regards to him though, usually along the lines of "I disagree with his opinions and attitude, wah wah wah."

He seems like the type of guy to enjoy Morris dance.

Which games don't have chasing rules? I guess DnD tends to only have that sort of thing in DMGs, and there's lazy readers out there, but otherwise that just seems uninformed

He is okay-ish, but his fanboys are intolerable.
My main problem with that is that i like to read rebuttals in the comments of these types of channel

D&D can handle chasing very well though...
You can only run so many rounds before having to take endurance checks, players can have different speeds, DMs can allow players to use their attack actions to topple obstacles behind them, and for chasers to use wisdom checks to find alternate routes, etc. It all comes down to the DM.

A good DM could do a good chase sequence in any system.

it's still applicable, faggot

The problem is that it's specifically not here. There are specific chase rules in DnD. For 5th ed it's pages 252-255 in the DMG

>It is pretty funny to see the thing people cry about in regards to him though, usually along the lines of "I disagree with his opinions and attitude, wah wah wah."

Damage control: the post

Ninjas & Superspies had chasing rules. Inaccurate but fun ones. That was in 1988.

Lindybeige is fantastic.

>d&d

yeah and i wouldn't use them. if i wanted to use d20 chase rules, i would be looking at spycraft instead

That's nice, but why the fuck does that matter? The point is that there are chase rules and the absence of them is not a DnD problem.

I don't read youtube comments and wasn't really aware he had fanboys to be honest.

Though I imagine if you apply early teens boy to basically anything he talks about it will be fucking awful so yeah...

?

From his previous videos I seem to recall RuneQuest being his preferred system over D&D

As an years long fan of investigations I have to agree wholeheartedly.

However, I resent the framing. Roleplaying games differ. They cater to audiences with different preferences. Try playing CoC with DnD veterans and you'll find out. To criticize DnD with the fact that it is a combat encounter game is beside the point. You can criticize their PR, their publication strategy, even their fans. But the game itself is what it is, you wouldn't criticize chess for not being go.

A more reflected perspective can be found here
youtube.com/watch?v=YtUgtX3ncTk

And check out the chase rules in CoC7!

The clues in the name, he likes Lindy Hop.

It's hit and miss, sometimes he bases his points on historical observed evidence and sometimes he just speculatively rambles on how he imagines things are.

Either way it is fun to listen to him while doing something else. Biggest probs come from the fact that he has been doing the vids quite long.

t. different

He has a very autobiographical perspective. But he does not try to deceive. It is clear his background is reenactment. That is an interesting perspective for me. I've never been to a reenactment.

And when it comes to criticizing DnD, it is pretty clear he hasn't played a lot of other games, or newer versions of DnD. He's no authority, but again, an interesting perspective.

I never get to play with people like that. I love to watch him on YT.

In 4e it's the Skill Challenge framework as that's a time sensitive or major results of failure event where more than a single roll should be involved.

>sometimes he just speculatively rambles on how he imagines things are.

I do like that he refers to re-enactment experience in some of his discussions though. Obviously there is a mile between re-enactment and real fighting but it does produce insights that you don't get from books.

The only good (and really, really good to that) commentary he ever did about TTRPG was the one about escalation.
And stating the obvious about half-elves, but hey, it doesn't have to be obvious for everyone, so...

Nyyeeeeeeehhhh...

I mean, he has his good parts. He's very enthusiastic, and manages to present his material in a pretty entertaining way. He's a decent gateway drug for people with a latent interest in history.

That said, his videos do have some serious flaws, particularly the historical ones. He seems to outright hate the idea of referring to any kind of primary source. Often he starts out with a simple observation that may well be already on shaky ground, and then wildly extrapolates from just that. Sometimes he ends up a decent, if shallow, conclusion, and sometimes he ends off wildly off base. Like that one time where he insisted that pikemen in early modern pike squares didn't actually try to stab each other, but rather just kind of huddled up face to face. And since he so rarely refers to any sources, it's very difficult to separate the correct conclusions from the false ones.

If you have an interest in medieval and early modern military and combat history, I can highly recommend Matt Easton of scholagladiatoria instead. He's a professional historian and an experienced HEMA instructor, and often backs his stuff up with specific sources or otherwise outlines what he's basing his statements on.

It's never applicable actually.

Typically, it's easier to fix a complaint in a system than to learn a new one, especially because that new one just comes with its own new bag of problems.

It's really just a dumb meme that sad people who hate how popular D&D is repeat because they are really sad that no one plays their niche games.

>He seems to outright hate the idea of referring to any kind of primary source.
I used to see that all the time in UFOlogist literature.

Would you put on a trip already?

Please stop being sad.

Easton pls go

I have to admit the forced cheerfulness of those two guys is hard to cope with. they are like a living
>everything is fine
meme

no

no, that's plain wrong. different types of games are geared towards different experiences. if you want to houserule dnd into something like cthulhu or harnmaster or, say, FATE, you are better off with taking these systems as a basis. it's less work, MUCH less work even, to learn these systems and plug their holes than trying to showhorn into something deendee wasnt designed for.

views like yours can only be embraced in earnest by someone who does not have sufficient experience outside of deendee.

Comprehension? The pike video was him describing what reenactors do when presented with a pike melee, and used that to frame his hypothesis that pikemen at the time didn't generally engage other pikeman, instead acting more as a mobile fortress while ranged weapons did the killing. He is not off base, and his vidoes aren't painfully boring and passionless like certain other, more qualified youtube personalities on the subject matter.

Someone else put it better, "i would rather listen to Loyd talk about socks than Matt Easten talk about swords."

>it's easier to fix a complaint in a system than to learn a new one,
This is an opinion only voiced by people who haven't tried out a lot of games.

Trust me. I host 2 or 3 rounds of niche games every year at a convention, always to great success. Gaming is not a church, it's a hobby. Everyone gets to do what they like. And there's games that help you do it.

PvP is a campaign killer in DnD. In Paranoia it's your duty! Tension is really hard to build up with DnD's combat solution for everything, but in Dead of Night the rules do tension for you, you just have to insert story. Slice of life in DnD is just skill rolls and that rarely, in Golden Sky Stories you don't even have combat rules.
Try playing bitter intrigue with DnD and it's basically a comparison of character sheets for dmg/rnd, in The Mountain Witch you have trust points and get to invent another players backstory to betray them. Moral behavior of DnD characters? Murderhobos should try A Dirty World noir.

Even for base mechanics to build on, D20 is overly complex and hard to balance. With ORE you get very fast combat rounds, fun strategy in designating your actions, and a mechanical undercarriage that balances in one dice pool for easy modding in any direction and scale.

DnD is a pillar of roleplaying, but it is no monolith. And people who try to adapt it without learning other games first usually end up making D20 more complicated without getting the game dynamic changed much.

Try other games? What do you have to lose? DnD won't go away. And most other games are way more accessible. They have free starter rules on their web presence, it won't even cost you a dime.

lol, i doubt easton cares hard enough about traditional games to post here. that said, i enjoy his videos, lindy.

They are early podcasters, basically talk radio hosts. And they're annoyingly proud of being geeks. But their convention talks are pretty good.

>PvP is a campaign killer in DnD.

That is a big one I've found.

4e is a very well balanced game...for players vs monsters or players vs NPC humans but it really isn't a system I'd recommend for PvP.

Easton is soooo boooooooring. God I can't get through a single one of his awful, horribly presented videos with him mumbling all wishy washy without making any real points. I understand he has credentials, I understand he knows the subject matter and studied with the experts on the subject matter. But he must be the most boring person on earth.

He's an archaeologist, lad.

>oh god this person full of experience is so boring, I would rather watch this entertaining drooling retard
And later you'll complain about people being stupid or some shit.

Besides, easton is very entertaining for me. But I'm the type of guy who don't think conference are "boring"

No. He has a degree in archeology, not specialized at all in medieval age, and he worked at a uni in a evolutionnist psychology thing, voluntarily.
He got shot down when he used the website of the faculty to flame feminists.

Professionally, he's a dance teacher.

there is no accounting for taste. he's a scholar with a lot of passion for his field of study which is why i enjoy his video immensely.

my only gripe is, being an instructor who obviously also teaches minors, he is too repetetive to drive a point home for the sake of the unattentive. most of his videos could be half length when targeted at a more mature/attentive audience.

basically what i said in deendee is geared towards a specific type of play: campaign-play involving killing monsters, getting their loot and leveling up to get cool new abilities. this is a niche in which deendee is unassailable due to its brand.

it is NOT well-suited to other styles of gaming and if you try to shoehorn it into deendee, you're better off with another commercial system that does it better to begin with.

>Professionally, he's a dance teacher.
sauce?
This made me smile.

lloydianaspects.co.uk/dance/swingcv.html
He seems to have updated now, he's doing youtube full time, he doesn't need to dance anymore!
Grats for him

>he knows one topic really well
Which one, how to dye shirts? It sure as fuck isn't historical arms, anyway.

Greg Stolze wrote extended pursuit rules for Reign

Dude, I didn't come here for a gay rant.

We're not talking about "experiences". We're talking about small specific complaints.

If someone says something like "I don't like how swords in D&D are marginally superior to other weapons", the correct answer isn't "FUCK THAT GAME, I HATE IT", it's "Try adjusting the numbers/add a cool ability/don't worry about it/swords are supposed to be better/etc."

But, that upsets you, so here you are.

Part of being a youtube personality is having personality. Matt should do the research and then hand the material off to Loyd for presentation, because he actually knows how to perform in front of a camera.

>lloydianaspects.co.uk/dance/swingcv.html
>My main dance is the main swing dance: Lindy hop. I also teach Balboa, Charleston, blues, shim sham, ska, and salsa. I have been taught some obscure swing dances such as the laminu, heel shag, Saint Louis shag, Peabody, Collegiate shag, 8-count shag, and contact Lindy.

Awesome!

Lindy is literally the biggest self-centered wanker of all time.

All of his complaints involve him trying to break the rules of a system, refusing to picture scenarios within the framework of the system, or, in this case, not understanding the rules of common systems and being unwilling to read.

He thinks that if it's "reasonable" to him, his characters should have infinite capability to act, infinite capability to leap, infinite capability to target, while everyone else is stuck at "dumb peasant in a can" capabilities, regardless of anything else.

>he's so booooooriiiing no personnality at all girls!
That's what people say about you

Anything that man makes is worth reading.

Which video did you get that impression from?
Because I didn't.

This is my stance on the guy as well. In the SoS threads (the beating heart of HEMA autism) he's sort of considered a less polished but more introspective Matt Easton, but he's pretty good to listen to as long as you don't take him as an authority.

His thing on the Iliad was fucking top tier. Also the Berserker video was really good. He does have some failings though, his opinion of historical fencing techniques is uninformed, which is understandable given his background.

He's fun and he's gotten a lot of my friends interested in history and militaria, but he isn't an authoritative source in and of himself.

>I don't like how swords in D&D are marginally superior to other weapons
i wish that was all that was wrong with deendee.

>fedora tipping implied

>le star designer meme again
kill it. kill it with fire. fucking cult of personality.

Also the guy is famous for being an asshole. He lost his position at a University because he stated publicly that he felt vegans should be force-fed meat or something like that. It was a joke, but it was horribly out of touch with the sensibilities of young people.

And, you know, this is more or less what you'd expect from a massive fedora tipping square-dancer. I think it's part of the charm.

>implied
lloydianaspects.co.uk/25facts.html
>21. I have never been religious. I never thought that the idea of Father Christmas was anything much more than an insult to my intelligence. Admittedly I did find hard pecuniary evidence for the existence of the Tooth Fairy, but I concluded long before losing all my milk teeth that it was suspicious that she only visited when I was asleep, and had access to a supply of modern coinage.

I'm very interested to see what he manages to produce with that upcoming Hannibal comic.

That does look super cool. I also really like the artist. Guy does amazing work.

>fucking cult of personality.
Not at all. I have read some of his games and was really impressed with his mechanism design. From Unknown Armies over Delta Green to Reign and Better Angels, his games just click. They don't all do the same thing, they use the same basic idea, rules that work, to develop totally different game flavors and dynamics.

That's why I eagerly read whatever he releases, hoping to find more of the same.

Hence
>worth reading
not
>totally awesome!
Many things are, but I can only form an opinion once I read and played it.

>but I concluded long before losing all my milk teeth that it was suspicious that she only visited when I was asleep, and had access to a supply of modern coinage.

That's what you find suspicious? Why would someone operating in modern society NOT use modern coinage?

The tooth fairy is one of those mythological beings that can't really NOT interact with modern society as she's regularly interacting with members of it and their dwellings.

>i wish that was all that was wrong with deendee.

Don't really give a fuck, mate. You're still performing logical leaps that make it clear you've got less of an interest in actually helping people and more of an interest in taking any and every opportunity to show how upset you are that people play a game you don't like.

Kind of why people have been calling you out on it for the last few years.

Definitely a major That Guy move, unless he's already made it clear he's running that sort of game.

It's generally taken as read that players will actually be able to do something about an encounter, unless told/implied otherwise

>He's a professional historian
Is he? I don't think he is. History degree, maybe, but I got the impression from one of his vids that he works for the Civil Service or something.

The alternative to showing NPCs do it right is to tell the players
>all your attacks fail, roll to escape or die
or
>you run away as soon as you see the monster and never look back. Later you hear that the village was destroyed by the creature, many died.
so I believe
>these other guys do it right, watch them.
is pretty okay for the scope of the scenario.

Yes, this. This is the best Easton reactionface, by far.

Please tell me in detail:
What does a historian do, in your opinion?

Initiative, Chase, etc.
Many of his complaints.

If his character isn't moving at 3 times the speed of everyone else, then he's not happy.

Different guy
Someone who do research and study about history.
So, unless you write book, you discover new sources, you bring something new because of your research and study, you work in an university in a history lab, you're not an historian.
That's like saying you're a mathematician because at home you do maths. That's not how it works, unless you do groundbreaking work.

FATE is a terrible example because 5e with background proficiency and group awarded inspiration (or expanded inspiration rules) can easily do FATE of your DM style is already loose.

5e is not great at CoC style horror, but it can still bring in horror elements to make a competent action horror campaign. I also think it's stupid to try and greatly change the core combat rules, they have a medium depth to them and will never be as satisfying as RuneQuest or even 4e. It also doesn't do "dysfunctional team" mechanics well at all, because it is a team based game that relies on a group unity (also a major issue with DW trying to do D&D with PbtA).

fair enough

bwahahahaha. there's only one person who thinks deendee is overrated, ever. dude, you spent too much time here, time to get out and get some fresh air.

he's an archaelogist, not historian

Or alternately, before they go to the creature have an aging soldier hand them out some advice

Or show the creature shrugging off attacks by a band of people who got there before you did, then hint at some alternate way to go about it.

Or have the creature struggle over a certain part of the terrain, implying a weakness.

Having NPCs rush in and save the day when the players never had a prayer is plain lazy.

That's like saying you're not a cook unless you have your own restaurant or TV show.

He's a former dance teacher, and now youtube personnality full time, not an archeologist.

His initiative video is 100% right though.

It is. But it isn't terrible. All good ideas though.

More like saying you are not a Chef unless you do either of them. A cook is a term that covers all levels of qualification. Chef is for professionals.

im talking about matt easton of schola gladiatora

I was typing out a response, but this guy was muck quicker and on the point

If his players were idiots it's not his fault.

My bad
But he's not an archeologist either I think? He has a degree in it but that's it.
If I recall in one of his video he say he is some kind of accountant in a big firm.

I guess you could say that his work on the old medieval manuscript that are not very studied by historians make him worthy of the title, but I don't know.