In fantasy frozen wastelands are home to tough warriors but it makes no fucking sense look at Inuits does that look...

In fantasy frozen wastelands are home to tough warriors but it makes no fucking sense look at Inuits does that look like a face of death and destruction to you?

Other urls found in this thread:

inuitmyths.com/
inuitmyths.com/mahaha.htm
inuitmyths.com/ijirait.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupilaq
waitbutwhy.com/2014/09/but-what-about-greenland.html
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/17391388/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have you ever looked deep into an Inuit's eyes?

You wouldn't be saying that if you had.
They appear nice and friendly, but deep inside the just want to watch the world freeze.

Russia couldn't conquer the Chukchis for some 200 straight years because those fuckers were downright vicious and sent musket-armed Russians running home crying for mommy with their bone arrows

Well I usually don't see them in a loin cloth and bear skin either for what it's worth

Tough to live in environment means that only people tough enough to survive will breed therefore people from artic wastelands will be required to be stronger than people in places where challenges to survive are smaller.

They are tough, but what really makes them effective as warriors is their advantage in their own environment. If you sent a party of 100 men-at-arms against a village of Inuit, they would lose.

Inuits had a different evolution to their cold, harsh environment. The Nordic peoples grew large on a fish and meat diet rather than small, then used that size to doom womp small defenseless villages and monasteries.

Kind of funny how we did not have Inuit raiding parties plaguing places like Japan and China in seal skin long ships, armed with whale bone weapons

It has to do with the Viking image, which is sort of ironic because most of them didn't live neck deep in snow year round and had farms, houses, hearths, and towns.

They have to deal with Wendigos, user.

Inuits are THE calmest motherfuckers on Earth. You literally can't make one of them angry

You mean the cold was so severe even Russians couldn't take it, right?

Because usually said tough warriors are based on, or at least, often inspired by, anything from Roman depictions of barbarian tribes (especially the Huns, Goths etc.) to medieval Scandinavian raiders to the Mongols (and I guess the Manchu tribes if you're in China).

Inuits may live in the north, but they don't have a historically recorded "reputation" for brutally assaulting bastions of civilization, and hence are not the first thing one thinks of when the words "invaders from the north" are uttered.

Because God created Arrakis to train the faithful.

Except it's snow instead of sand.

I wonder if it's possible to make cool not - Inuits race.

When your life is ice and snow, you are the chillest around

Ba dum tsh

Puns aside, they are the chilliest. More chill than three little Fonzies. A research on anger management was done and the researchers gave up when trying to aggitate any of the Inuits they've tested - they were chill as the ice outside.

Their lives are pretty much the textbook definition of 'bigger problems'. Sure, someone is annoying but you've got to haul 30 kilos of dead seal over 5 miles of ice and snow and you're not sure if there's wolves or bears around and your furs are wet and it's nearly dark.

If you actually read some stuff about Inuits and other circumpolar tribes, you will discover that they are badass as fuck. Whole settlements slaughtered in the night due to competition over food sources. Lone strangers pretty much murdered on sight for being not-of-our-tribe. Old people willingly going to their deaths on the ice floes so they don't needlessly take up space, warmth and food. Whale hunters going out to sea in skin boats with bone spears knowing that if they succeed the village will be fed, and if they screw up and the whale smashes their boat, they will simply never be seen again. All in all, a hard life that made hard people. Go read a copy of pic related and be amazed.

Probably the only inuit on the board here, it's great to see people actually know who we are, wish we had more representation it's a pretty interesting culture

On the other side, being annoying could very well mean you're ostracized from your small community. Some of those snow mounds can hide a body for centuries.

So you learn not to be a cunt.

Inuit folklore and myth is fucked up though.

>Probably the only inuit on the board here, it's great to see people actually know who we are, wish we had more representation
Well, there are only 134,241 of you on a planet of about 7.4 billion, it's to be expected.

I know you guys have some cool folklore going.

>Snow Dune
I like you. I like you very much.

>psionic muslim snow people who have to fend off Remorazz, giant polar bear people, and evil psionic seal looking motherfuckers

Fund it, right now.

It was an idea I had for a setting awhile back. Had the makers turned into giant whale/squid hybrids that could feel the vibrations of the ice through the water. Unmelting ice blades that were carried instead of a crysknife. Diamonds and mineral deposits instead of spice.

There's really nothing in the first few books you can't translate into a more northern/wintery setting.

I've always thought that the Inuit would make the best space travellers.

The Russians have done experiments and have found that astronauts making the Mars trip and possibly settling would have enormous problems with isolation, the lack of day/night cycle, confined spaces and preventing arguments within tight-knit groups.

Inuit are fucking DESIGNED for that shit. They live in small communities with no real cycle of light and dark, in confined conditions in winter, living off a limited diet, only going outside in bulky, restrictive clothing into a very dangerous environment.

brb designing setting where Inuit culture is the predominant space culture

But not really because I don't know shit about Inuits. But that does sound bitching. Especially with space whales.

What about water being something intensely valuable for the people of Arrakis in the books, but being toxic to the worms?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I want to play this too, but just wondering

Apparently many tribes were frequently at war with their southern neighbours. Part of being a hard-ass northern survivor is knowing when to cut your losses and head south. Because 1v1ing mother nature in the winter in place that's already really fucking winter is a bad idea. So they'd head south, which often took them into someone else's land. This meant they had to ether a cut a deal or spend the rest of the winter fighting.
In a lot of cases they spent the rest of the winter fighting.
Which was probably a vacation compared to what they usually had to put up with.

Of course they could rarely make any significant gains in territory from this fighting because they tend not to have a lot of guys. Part of not dying in the arctic is having keeping your population under control. Unfortunately having a small, manageable population isn't great for conquest.
Impossible to kill but in no position to really grow.

But they do very greatly from tribe to tribe. Some are brutal motherfuckers who will kill you for looking at them funny, others just want to stay warm have some fish and tell some stories.

Also have a Siberian Eskimo

Just flip it. The worms can only breach where it's pure ice. Actual earth is a poison. Almost the entire planet is essentially what scientists think Jupiter's moons are like, except mildly livable for the extremely dedicated.

You'd basically just inverse the natural setting but keep the politics and society the same, with whatever minor variation the snow fremen would need to keep the logic intact.

Heat. With hot springs and volcanic vents instead of wells and aquifers?

I found this while hunting for art once:
inuitmyths.com/
Inuit script even looks like a space language.

So wouldn't that make 's whale-squids basically spice-producing versions of the Thing?

The smile lures you in user. The scariest part about warriors from the far north is their cunning.

inuitmyths.com/mahaha.htm
>This cold demon takes pleasure in tickling its victims to death with sharp vicious nails
>all of the victim have a similar expression on their dead faces – a twisted frozen smile.
What the fuck, that's horrifying.

Not the only one. My mother is full blooded inuit.

inuitmyths.com/ijirait.htm
AAAAAAHHHHHHH

...well, I wouldn't say no if I was offered that campaign setting.

Are you fucking kidding me with that? That's straight up alien. If I DM'd I'd use that and put in clues everywhere.

Sci-finuit looks better and better by the second, especially for horror.

Are we sure these fuckers didn't just design a monster manual in their folklore?

Arrakis already has a snow moon orbiting it, m8.

Prolly all the russians trying desperately to justify the fact that they're evil psychopaths worthy of DEATH, when the problem is in their genes and culture, not their environment

I feel compelled to point out every folk lore had a monster Manuel of sorts, your just used to the standard western one.

Check out the water tribes from Avatar.

>"no proof"
>all other northern cultures are chill
>russians have always been edgy murderers
>post of a cock drinking a goblet of piss

I rest my case

>The Taqriaqsuit are also known as the shadow people. They live like we do in a world like our own. Their world, however, is beyond our perception. They are almost never seen, but sometimes when conditions are right the Taqriaqsuit can be heard. Have you ever heard the sounds of footsteps or the sound of talking or laughing in the distance but see no one around? Maybe it was the Taqriaqsuit.

>Sometimes these shy beings are noticed or people sense their presence. When this happens, the Taqriaqsuit seem to disappear into the ground and vanish. Stories tell us that some Inuit have crossed over into their world, but few have ever returned to tell us what it is like.

>If the Taqriaqsuit invited you to crossover into their world for a visit, would you go?

This stuff is gold, I love it

>Taqriaqsquat

Yeah, seriously, how is this pronounced?
Tah-ree-ah-coo-soot?

I don't know a single thing about Inuit language, so I just assume it's like TAK-REE-AK-SIT or SWIT.

Also, there's a precursor race, child-snatching demons and giants. This shit is cool as fuck, lads.

>We are squatting in shadows, cousin.
>In fact, we so good at squatting we can vanish whenever police officer comes.

That's just Slavic spider man

You know what, this is pretty good.
I mean... this is REALLY good.

The only one I know is stone cold. He served in the military and did some shit. Like, someone who made it out of that shit is someone who has had weakness crushed out of him before it could kill him.

Just a look into those eyes and you know what a face who has seen death and destruction looks like.

But being invisible to the police is Batman's superpower.

Inuit monsters are seriously some of the most terrifying shit

They're fucking awesome for a fantasy setting. Giants, super strong primitive precursors, there's a monster gull, dwarves, huge dogs, they have some interesting concepts about the soul being taken from the air and/or sky/

>terrorized parts of the arctic
>described as a thin sinewy being
>is easily fooled
Even the Inuits knew the wendigo.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupilaq

I was thinking about this in particular. You have to do some pretty heinous shit just to summon one, (it apparently involves desecrating a childs corpse or something) and if the shaman/witch survives the summoning ritual there is still a good chance of it coming back and killing them.

You have to be seriously pissed off or insane to even consider summoning one.

>hahah user is being silly it can't look that weir
What the fuck they're actuallly aliens

dude what the fuck i'm using these monsters they're fucking rad

The shaman fucked the bones of a child
holy fucking shit

We need more frozen wasteland settings I don't mean fucking fantasy Norway I mean fantasy Arctica or nothern Canada.

Were did the russian guy touch you?

My latest character is a halfling Inuit cleric whose tribe is the most hardcore people to ever wear mukluks. They've fought for thousands of years against the necromancers that like to tap into the dark energy lying around up north. While they fish with stabbing spears, they prefer long chopping knives for fighting, since against the true undead, the only real solution is complete dismemberment.
In the summer the tribes root out the necromancers hiding in their caves. In the long, dark winter days, they fight terrible battles against legions of the undead.
My cleric worships their trickster god of the dead, Rahakanariwa, and serves as a reverse psychopomp. Whereas most of her tribe's clerics guide souls safely to the afterlife, she was chosen to hunt down undead creatures and send them back to hell. She likes to magically disguise herself as a frostbitten human child, and wait until they get close to strike.
Her name is Shrike and I'm very proud of her.

Are you refering to snow knife?

Ooh, and Face Dancers. Killing humans, shapeshifting into them, and taking their place.

This thread is giving me some really great ideas for a Shadowrun campaign in the northern Native American Nations.

I'm... very barely Inuit.
Both my parent's families have ties to Newfoundland, and while I look like a big Irish/Polish/German mutt, my sister and mother and grandpa all have very asian-esque features, even though we're not at all.
My mother just went to Newfoundland and said that almost everybody looks just like me and my uncles, but every so often you can see people like her with strong Inuit genes.

I don't think you understand the sheer amount of time they have to dedicate just to get all the calories they need to survive.

The North is extremely harsh and vast. Communities need to stay small and Isolated just to have the resources to feed themselves.
It's so scarce that they have a ceremony of leaving their Elderly in the wilderness to die because they provide enough work for the resources that that consume.

As awesome as it would be, warrior cultures need surplus in order to invest in the energy for warfare. To lose the effort of even one able bodied man is the difference between life and death for these people.

No, it looks like Charlie from "It's Always Sunny"

There's 300k Icelanders yet they're all over Veeky Forums.

>Are we sure these fuckers didn't just design a monster manual in their folklore?
Wouldn't surprise me if the Innuit inveted TTRPGS a few thousand years ago.

It's not like their environment offers many other options for entertainment.

Every single person in that image has eaten another human being; One who was their friend before the Ice made necessity more important than friendship.

It interesting, the closeness of the community was so important to them that secrecy itself was seen as a taboo as shown in

> Knud Rasmussen asked his guide and friend Aua, an angakkuq (spiritual healer), about Inuit religious beliefs among the Iglulingmiut (people of Igloolik) and was told: "We don't believe. We fear."

Love the concept. Super cool.

Well, now I know what to put on that big blob of land on my Northern hemisphere.

Russians had it not in genes, but in that their history can be summed up in nine words.
>It was bad.
>It got worse
>Repeat that, comrade.

You start to be less friendly when potato is only friend and you must eat friend to survive.

Pretty much, but I was imagining more kukri-shaped. I know it's a knife that's overused to death at this point, but they are designed specifically for chopping after all.

It's not that bad. You can also drink friend.

is that Charlie from Always Sunny

Far north is horrifying thread? Let's talk Greenland!
waitbutwhy.com/2014/09/but-what-about-greenland.html

> According to the World Health Organization, the worldwide suicide rate is 16 per 100,000 people. Country rates range from less than 1 to as high as 31 per 100,000 in Lithuania, the country with the highest rate. The thing is, Greenland isn’t on this list because it’s not an independent country. If it were, it would be the country with by far the highest rate, at 107 suicides per 100,000 people.

>There are apparently things called qivitoqs in Greenland, that multiple people made sure to tell me about. The legend says that they’re half-dead, half-alive people with the strength of an animal who roam the land at night. One guy told me that they’re actually a real thing—that they’re real people who were either abused when they were younger and ran away or who were exiled from their village

>Why does traditionally Western European-influenced fantasy derived primarily from an English author's writings treat their Viking-equivalent area as Vikings?

I'll give you one fucking guess, OP.

Damn son, ice cold

He said "frozen wasteland", not cold-edge-of-temperate.

Inuit language (not that it is a single language, but they're close enough for us to make generalizations) is remarkably straightforward as far as foreign languages go. The q is a uvular stop, like a k way back in your throat, but if you can't manage that, pronouncing it like a k will work fine (assuming you're never going to be communicating with monolingual Inuit speakers). The 3 vowels (a, i, u) are pronounced as if they were Spanish. Beyond that, everything is pronounced more or less as you would in English.

>You literally can't make one of them angry
Exactly. They never lose their coolnot sorry, which is a vital aspect of being a warrior. They don't fit the mold; they're better than it.

Fucking useless ass spoiler tags.

How good are Cleric/Monk multiclasses? Does the shared Wisdom focus make up for having to pick between constitution or dexterity? Do any divine domains mix well with any monastic traditions?

Shit, completely wrong thread. Sorry.

YES

You mean those guys which every time they kill a seal it is the same as murdering a human being in their culture?

Also, Veeky Forums has archives about this:
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/17391388/
>In the spirit of an earlier and now-departed thread about low-tech, ice age settings that developed into a discussion of harpoons, walrus-dwarves, and iceberg fortresses, this is a Polar Setting thread. I'm going to be posting some mix of Inuit mythical creatures, pictures related to the arctic and its people (mostly Inuit, Sami, and Yakut), and random rambling about some ideas for mystic adventures in the land of the ice and snow.

desu is a pretty interesting idea.

The cold north has always been associated with tough warriors in the west.

The Germans
The Norse
The savage little shits of the northern British Isles
The Russians
The Highlanders

And in general just other hardy folk, the Inuits are no exception to this rule, not such a militaristic culture but on their home turf, i.e. just snow, they have a big advantage because they actually have quite unusual and appropriate genetics for the climate they live in.

>germany
>cold

Germany is rather cold, the north more than the south. Colder than france for sure, just as a comparison.

Have you tried running a campaign there?

>eating every part of a seal over several days
>fermenting what cannot be eaten and eating it
bruh