MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

That's the shit I don't like edition

PT: RESOURCES:
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING:
>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fungi-from-yuggoth/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teysa-7-30-16/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-07-16-snake-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lol-horsemanship/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So how many 2/2 and 3/3 creatures do you have in your decks?. I sometimes feel like I struggle with my early game so I'd like to know how other people do it.

Ok guys, what Cards should I invest in that are useful to have and will go up over time?

>Noncreature

Without further information on what you want to play go for this priority list

>Rocks
Crypt, Vault
>Reserved list goodstuff and old cards
Depends on what you play - for example: if you always end up playing something green you might want a Cradle (RL) or something like Bugeoning (totally fair card)
>Lands
As always, invest in land and get your landbase straight
>Everything else

Depends on so many different factors you'll only wind up causing an argument. Get broken things that aren't banned but are key cards in other formats. Demonic Tutor and Jace, Wallet Sculptor come to mind. Maybe a Goyf and the full suite of AB disks, shocks, and fetches.

>disks
Stupid phone I meant duals, like the ones that count as 2 basics.

Khans stuff

Khans fetches. Chromatic Lantern. Undead Sidisi.

I tried making an Alesha deck earlier but it didn't really survive the playtests. It's pretty hard to actually *win* with the deck if you don't rely on combos or Master of Cruelties, and getting stuff on the graveyard to use Alesha's ability can be difficult. She's pretty slow to get off the ground, and might get run over by more aggressive decks pretty easily if you get a bad hand.

here's my advice, and you should take it with a big grain of salt since i didn't really test the deck out that much:

>have a lot of looter effects
these work fucking great with alesha. faithless looting is great. trading post and deal broker can be decent. if you're running a lot of creatures, even self-mill can be good. don't overdo it though, since graveyard hate tends to fuck you over real bad if you do and you can only bring back 1 creature at a time
>have some wincon cards
there's a bunch of big creatures you can bring back for free, like ignition team and so on. this was already mentioned, though. you basically need these guys to win if you're not running tons of combos. alesha doesn't do much otherwise with her silly 2-power memelords

there might be some other things to mention but i don't remember them

Im looking to remove the creature type from my creatures. Ive found some ways to do it. Soul sculptor can temporarily turn a creature into an enchantment with no abilities. Im sure there are some things you could do with a opal acrolith in in play as a creature and infinite reflections. Anyone got ideas

What good graveyard retrieval is there for UG outside of artifacts

>mfw I can't help but have feldon's cane or elixir of immortality in my commander decks

Eternal Witness
Praetor's Counsel
The fucktillion graveyard retrieval blue cards

MLD and Infinite combos. Come at me. Ifgaf. The groups I play with are all fun and anything goes expect for mld and infinites.

Fetches yes. Sidisi yes. Lantern fuck no.
Its already 10 bucks. So the ships sailed and its about to crash when it's included in every commander deck this year (4 color)

do you mean a way to 'save' you graveyard from exile? voidslime will stop anything up to and including bojuka bog.

Why are you bothering to shuffle your graveyard back into your library? Just make more graveyard.

Greenwarden of Murasa
Sword of Light and Shadow
Creeping Rennaissance
Deadwood Treefolk
Den Protector
Genesis
Life From the Loam
Seasons Past
plus It's kinda baffling your couldn't come up with a single one of these by just thinking for a second.

Not save graveyard from exile just get things back out with relative ease.

Thanks lad, not replying to the other guy cause his attitude stinks

No problem.

The other guy does have a point, even if he is an asshole.

>His attitude stinks
If you think that guy's rude you should probably go to another website to be honest. He actually mentioned a lot of good cards and telling you to think a little bit is pretty good advice considering you don't seem to be aware of basic cards like Eternal Witness. If his attitude was actually bad he would've just called you a retard and to look at gatherer or edhrec or something.

Somebody last thread had mentioned running Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts as a voltron style commander with a lot of the "Humans matter" equipment from innistrad block. I'm not sure about the second bit, but Voltron Teysa sounds interesting. Is there any way to make it work well? She's got the evasion, she's got a way to keep attackers off of you, but the mana cost and colors seem like they might be an issue.

>Shit I don't like edition

These cunts. Everyone and their mother has an eldrazi deck. Nothing says fun quite like having New/Oldamog swinging at you turn 3. Not to mention eldrazi players are entitled twats who never seem to understand why people target them.

His reply was still equivalent of an ass. Doesn't mean I'm going to ignore his post entirely, he just doesn't get a highly valued (You)

Here user, I'm the guy he did reply too. I forgot a couple of these, and he's being weird, so I'll thank you instead. Thanks.

Are there any cheap commander decks that can be constructed for under $20?

Sure, if you don't mind jamming your deck full of terrible cards.

>mfw casting Death cloud for 29 and still win

I've built a few for about 30 that are fun but not competitive.
It's a nice deck building exercise to make something that is cheap but not boring to play.
Helps if you're running black or blue though.

Thinking back on it, it's kinda crazy how good Shadows has been for (mono)green EDH decks. Tireless Tracker, Duskwatch Recruiter and Seasons Past have added so much more consistency and staying power. Also poor man's Prime Time, but that's not really on the same level.

Out of all of the 2015 Commanders, why are three of them restricted to casting in order to get Experience counters?

Meren and Ezrui are piss easy to build counters on and are easily the strongest of the bunch, but all of the other commanders pale in comparison. Kalemne is by far the worst one due to its restriction to 5CMC+ cards for gaining experience.

Trying to build a cheap commander deck thats toned down from my other commanders. Will likely play it unsleeved so I want it to be cheap.

That's actually what I did since some people I play with hate my stronger decks.
The lili deck alone is around 6k.

I just wish I could get the 2011 precons for cheap. Counterpunch and Mirror Mastery look great.

Mizzix can still get out of hand rather easily, I find. And Kalemne isn't the weakest because of her experience requirements but rather because her experience counters do pretty much nothing. If she at least had some kind of evasion it could actually be threatening.

Gas all Meren players.

>thinking Meren is good/OP/mean
Please.

Meren isn't even that strong just remember to run gy hate because gy is a thing in edh.

I'd say she's good, but easy to hose with gy hate.

She is way too good if your playgroup decided to get into Commander with just those precon decks unchanged. The 2015 precons are really poorly balanced.

bubblestrike bigilence swords are tasty tho

I have about 30 but that might be because it's an allies deck

This is true.

How do the RBW commanders stack up to one another?

Depends on your deck.

Staple early-game creatures are:

Solemn Simulacrum
Trinket Mage
Burnished Hart
Baelful Stryx
Rec Sage
BloodBraid Elf
E. Witness

I wouldn't really count Witness as an early-game creature. You're likely not gonna play her on curve.

Can't decide en whether or not to evolve my Daxos enchantress from Orzhov to Junk or Bant.

Junk would be equally heavy enchantments with Teneb as commander, a constellation subtheme and lots of more card draw from green.

Bant would have a superfriends subtheme, blue gives some nice stuff but I'd lose black.

Or just wait for the new 4c commanders and build WUBG.

Thoughts? Experiences?

>alesha
>zurgo
>kalia

not terrible, but a bit predictable

Play Oloro and mull until you get Karlov

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fungi-from-yuggoth/
Not quite 20$ but pretty close.

Early game creatures that I have in my Omnath deck, which has by far the highest curve among my decks (not counting things like Witness or Scute Mob):
Arbor Elf
Ulvenwald Tracker
Viridian Zealot
Vinelasher Kudzu
Dungrove Elder
Wall of Roots
Ohran Viper
Yavimaya Elder
Scryb Ranger
Courser of Kruphix
Traproot Kami
Tireless Tracker
Joraga Treespeaker
Lotus Cobra
Duskwatch Recruiter

15 cards, so about a quarter of my nonland cards all in all.

If you want to draw some real hate, go with Ertai.

I like the way you think, user. Completely forgotten about Ertai, I was so focused on green.

I just got my hands on a Gravepact for Prossh. The only three candidates I can think to switch out for it are: Attrition, Crux of Fates and Second Harvest.

Which should I take out? I'm leaning towards Attrition, but I'd like to hear your take on it.

I'd say Second Harvest.

They all do good things in different ways. Alesha is my vote for the "best" of them, because she has a simple combo and it's easy to search it out. Even without the combo she's easy to cast and grinds out value with etb effects

It's understandable. All the enchantress effects in green are a strong argument for going that route.

Toying with Teysa deck. Any thoughts/suggestions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teysa-7-30-16/

It's kind of Orzhov goodstuff at the moment, so I'd like to tune it up.

Bitter Ordeal or Praetors Grasp for mono black control?

I'm currently leaning towards Ordeal because the commander is Liliana, and I do a lot of quick Saccing and recurring during my turn.

Second Harvest doubles tokens at instant speed tho

I would say that Crux of Fate is worth removing, too many Dragons in EDH to make it useful.

>too many Dragons in EDH to make it useful.

That can make it useful too though.

Lolwhut

Ego

nah its shit

I put Crux in because of Prossh (dur), Dragonmaster Outcast, Steel Hellkite and Dragon Broodmother. Its won me games a handful of times by selectively wiping the board.

I'd say drop hymn and mind twist. Yes, they are powerful early game but I wanna say more often than not they'll be dead draws. If you want to fuck one person over like that, pay a little more and do it utterly.

No (mostly)unconditional, reasonably-costwd black boardwipe is ever bad.

(You)

Swapped 'em for Victimize and Phyrexian Reclaimation.

Not aimed at you specifically: Elspeth Knight-Errant or Sun's Champion? I'm torn.

Champion is way more versatile.

If I put Rooftop Storm in a deck with Gisa and Geralf can I pull zombies out of my graveyard for free?

Yes, you can cast one zombie from your 'yard for 0 on each of your turns.

That's amazing. Or, well, I think it's amazing. Problem now is that balancing act between keeping zoms in my yard and timing my Diregraf Colossus.

Yes. Don't forget Havengul Lich, who does your commander's job better than they do.

> snake tribal

That sounds really cool, mind posting a list?

Hes on the list of cards I'm going to buy for that deck.

>timing Diregraf

If you're using Diregraf and worrying about the counters you get from the 'yard, you're doing it wrong. DGC vomits out zombie tokens with shit like Gravecrawler or Havengul Liche, which is a far better use than a 2/2 with come counters.

Is this the only true commander removal?

Thanks. KE's emblem is so tasty, but realistically I suppose she's not likely to get it on the field often.

I guess the big question on my deck is that if I have clear, viable win conditions. Am I just grinding things out and hoping for the best?

song of the dryads did it first

naw man, use it to save your own dude from a planar cleansing

Had to type it up real quick, but here it is.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-07-16-snake-tribal/

nice digits

Lignify
Darksteel Mutation

Im modifying the pre-constructed edh deck Plunder the Graves, which features Meren of Clan Nel Toth as the commander.

If I discard a creature from my hand into the graveyard, does that creature "die", or does it have to be killed in some way when it is on the battle field?

Also are there any cool combos that come off the top of your head that I should look out for as I mod this deck?

looks solid. You have good token generation and tons of ways to exploit them. Victimize might be another way to gain value out of them

Well I'm entering the degeneracy that is Mono-Blue, and I'm wondering what other combos or blue goodstuff I can throw in here. Thinking Eldrazi Titans might be cool, but I wanna see what other things I can throw in before hunting down a Newlamog/Kozi.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lol-horsemanship/

The combos are

>Meloku the Clouded Mirror + Patron of the Moon + Amulet of Vigor + High Tide/Caged Sun
>Filigree Sages + Magistrate's Scepter + Contagion Engine
>Intruder Alarm + March of the Machines + Myr Turbine
>Wanderwine Prophets + Mistform Ultimus + Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho
>Astral Cornucopia + Filigrene Sages
>Animate Artifact + Voltaic Construct + Dreamstone Hedron/Everflowing Chalice

>Legends uncommon

My nigga, everyone should have one.

oh dang, I forgot to mention pic related

she'd be great for your deck as would the westvale abbey

Huh, those are interesting. Thanks.

If you discard it, it wasn't in play so you don't get a counter - but you can use discarding to trick creatures into play with Meren.

I like to have a healthy amount of token generation for easy sacrifice targets to grab counters quickly - eldrazi spawn and scions are really good for this.

A creature dies when it is put from the battlefield into the graveyard. Additionally "creature" vs "creature card" is an important distinction. A "creature" only exists on the battlefield, everywhere else you are dealing with a "creature card". Intuitively, you're supposed to think of your card as a summoning spell that calls a creature into the battlefield when you cast it.

The commander could be either him or Skeleton Ship, but it doesn't really make much sense for the boat to be in charge instead of the person.

>I like to have a healthy amount of token generation for easy sacrifice targets to grab counters quickly - eldrazi spawn and scions are really good for this.

Yeah thats a good idea. I just need ways to make tokens and cards which give me the freedom to sac creatures every turn. Plunder the graves has a number of creatures that have sacing abilities so I will have to look into them.

Is there a card similar to Cryptbreaker but allows you to sac creatures instead of discarding them for tokens? (this card is actually why I asked that question).

Interesting, thanks

hold up, the dynasty warriors are in magic?

That's pretty neat, I want to build it for fun now. Thanks for sharing fampai

Yep

It's called portal 3k. It was a very limited print expansion that was mostly created to introduce the game to China. I think Australia was the only country that got an English printing, but I'm not 100% on that.

It's fun to play and costs less than a precon so go for it.

>It's called portal 3k. It was a very limited print expansion that was mostly created to introduce the game to China.
I find this hilariously racist

Can't hit a Daretti though.

>enchant permanent
wut

[Spoiler] does that include shipping and handling??