Force of Will

What do you think of the spoilers for Lapis Cluster so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

fowtcg.com/news/curse-of-the-frozen-casket-preview-1-charlotte-alone/
force-of-will-tcg.wikia.com/wiki/Vingolf_2:_Valkyria_Chronicles
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fowtcg.com/news/curse-of-the-frozen-casket-preview-1-charlotte-alone/

*It seems determined.

>*It seems determined.

To make a Legacy platform fun.

Though the thing I'm wondering that, since this is not an errata, why did they decide on a name change for this?

>chant
>quickcast
Why not just make it instant? Are they changing their mechanics a bit so every chant that will be instant speed have quickcast?

>Are they changing their mechanics a bit so every chant that will be instant speed have quickcast?

They wanted to make things more clear with the whole Chant, Chant Stand-by, and Chant-Instant. So basically, all of these things are still chants, but will include easier identifiers for new players and to smooth things out.

Energize makes this game closer to hearthstone, and I'm unclear whether that's a good thing or bad thing. on one hand, going second is a huge disadvantage. On the other, I hate hearthstone.

>I'm unclear whether that's a good thing or bad thing. on one hand, going second is a huge disadvantage

I think it's going to help in the long-run since going second isn't too great at the moment.

>Old rulers dont get energize

That's another point of contention for all this. The mechanic itself I like, but it really feels like they're "gently" nudging you to use the newer Rulers. I know it's a rotation in general and that it's just Alice and Lapis for use in current format tournaments, but it really does hinder people using the older ones that have to go second.

Going to try and ask Jordan about this whole thing when the next stream hits, but I imagine the answer is just going to be "It's a way to encourage players to use/try out the new rulers and mechanics that come with Lapis."

How many new rulers are we getting in the new set?

You know how I know FoW will never truly be popular/as popular as MtG? Because it reeks of weebshit.

>sperging about weebshit on a vietnamese animated paper cutouts board

the fact that the game's name is a mtg card name itself make it seem like a cheap rip-off. The Lightning Strike just encouraged my assumption.

How do you play FoW, tho? What are the major differences to MtG?

The biggest difference is how the game handles combat. You can work phases like Magic if you want, but Force of Will has more flexibility than that.

Each combat phase works similarly to Yu-Gi-Oh in that one creature attacks at a time, but it's dissimilar in that attacking is not "I attacked this many times, I'm done"; you can attack once, play other stuff, attack again, play more stuff, attack a third time, etc.

Most actual combat mechanics are similar to Magic, but the major differences are: Your creatures can attack either your opponent directly or any of their tapped creatures, only one blocker per attacker is allowed, and blocking taps the blocker.

Please calm down.

It's not a huge addition to this, but mana/will is also a separate deck from your main one.

It's bigger than it would seem, and the way that works and the things it ties into are worthy of a follow-up post.

As previously stated, there is a separate deck for your magic stones (lands, really), and your deck also has to include a ruler (commander). Every turn you can tap your ruler to get a stone, or you can pay a cost listed on the ruler to put it out on the field (you can't do both in the same turn unless something says you can). If that ruler dies while it's on the field it goes back into its own spot (command zone), but you can't do anything with it except tap it for lands for the rest of the game.

There's more to it than that, but I'm shooting for the basics here.

At least 5 from the starter decks

I feel the same way, be a good goyim and update your decks to stay viable. Oh and we also made an ugly ass tect box so you fork over more money for full arts just to get decent looking cards

You know, this would mean something if reprints, availability, and how rotations worked didn't make things incredibly cheap to just order singles.

Hyped as fuck already. I like how the cards are now all borderless and have more art. IDK about the text boxes though.

Commons like this makes me bust nuts. So many things with discard in this game which makes the card great.

>Heroic Spirit

Well, Jordan did mention some of the series they've contacted about using their IP for Vingolf 3, and Fate was on of the ones brought up. Seeing the jump from only getting Engage Knights to Valikyria Chronicles could make it interesting with what they get for 3.

Then again, I would like they to put some more effort into the cards, and maybe hire more than ONE FUCKING PERSON to translate FoW into English and manage all the English related FoW materail.

I want to fuck Piruruk.

You're late.

I have a playset of lavateinns, hydromonicas, muses and of hymnals and rulers, what else do I need for a fun Shion deck?

Depends what you're looking to do.

Why is Vingolf 2 art steaming hot shit? Fucking hell they took straight up the 3D models and put them on the cards.

Yeah, it's pretty lazy overall. I mean hell, look at the dual stones for example. People were thinking they wanted to get rid of them and have people commit to other strategies and such when it came to will/creating it, but nope. They literally just sent the same exact dual stones from V1 to V2.

As far as the cards are concerned, it's only Valkyria Chronicles 1 based cards that used that kind of thing for the 3D models, the rest used the anime portraits/characters/etc for them. I know these aren't supposed to be high-level/tournament cards and sets, but there was basically no effort put into these asides making the cards function much the same as the characters did in the games when it comes to their traits/deficits and such.

Anyone know what the Arg Nats meta is like ?

What does that even mean?

Arg Nationals, the biggest event for the rest of the year going on in Philadelphia atm

If that's the case, then no. They still aren't doing any kind of decent coverage of events, though they said they wanted to "Properly set up a stream/event for the finals" later this year.

dead

What the hell is going on with the card UI design, it's been all over the place.

Only cards using anime are non-character cards, all the VC2 and 3 characters use concept design and ingame portraits. VC3 has really nice looking portraits, so it's funny to see how different VC3 looks, when it comes to quality, when compared to VC1 and 2 cards.

>it's been all over the place.
Do you mean with this new one or how much it keeps changing?

How much it keeps changing, yeah.

I guess shift is sticking around for a while. I wonder why they changed the card layout so drastically. Did WotC get on their ass about it?

FoW is their first game, so they're still finding a sweet spot/their own identity. The numbers went to the upper left side to make it easier when you tap to attack for your opponent to read, clarifications have been made with the card type i.e. Chant and having quickcast in the main text body to make it more than clear how it functions, and really just moved things around to make it cleaner and have more of the card's art show through.

There's other things they've changed about them, but it's really just trying to find a good layout for how the game is played and to make learning it/process mechanics easier for players. It's still not done yet, but it's getting there.

Oh, no. Nothing like that, it was a measure to just really cleanup the format for the cards. It seems they didn't like the attack and defense numbers at the bottom of the card, so when a player went to attack another, it was not convenient for them to see how much ATK/DEF the card had due to the orientation of it. Just things like that. But like I said, it's their first TCG and just going through some growing pains. Hell, look at MTG during the early to mid 90's and you'll see how far they've come, but they have quite a bit of time on FoW.

>look at MTG during the early to mid 90's
MTG almost died several times in the mid-90s, and they didn't have as many strong competitors. FoW is doing good right now, but I'd hate to see them repeat the same mistakes mtg made.

>but I'd hate to see them repeat the same mistakes mtg made.

I feel like they're slowing learning what to do, and thankfully, they do have the ability to see what all MTG, YGO, Vanguard, and various other games have gone through over the years. They'll still make mistakes, and plenty of spelling/grammar issues, but I still think this game has a promising future.

Same, I hope this games lives and stops being weeb bait.

This game panders directly to and has the main audience of weebs. And ill tell you a secret friend, you're on a weeb website

Please calm down.

Fuck i hate the new text box, why did they make it that big when the text is so short? The old boxes where fine, they tooke up the minimal space to show as much of the artwork as possible, the artwork and the fact that so much is shown in the cards is one of their major selling points why did they do this?

It's for consistency from card to card and if you look at it, the newer ones actually show more without having to be full art variants. There's no longer borders along the outside of the card as well, so that's a nice change too.

I mean, without borders they are cool too but the important part of the art is in the center not in the borders

What I'm saying is that the overall image is larger on the newer format thanks to the removal of the borders from the older ones. The transparency of the text box has been increased slightly and the only thing that obscures the art now is the information bar.

It's really just a preference thing, and there's some things about these I don't like (The Damage on the left hand side), but I understand it's there to help with combat phases and to assist newer players with being able to just quickly look and determine a cards strength.

so wait, how many new rulers are we getting in september? the boost page says 5 there, but i'm wondering if that's also taking into account of the ones from the start packs that you can just get randomly in boost packs.

Is anything in the new vingolf worth the buy? I'm kinda tempted.

It's nice enough just for the dual will stones, but some of the chant/regalia with it are actually pretty decent overall. There's nothing amazing about the Vingolf series, which they describe as a starter kit to help get you into the game quickly as well as a tie-in event to help sell it, but I still picked up two of them to get 4 each of the 10 Dual Will stones to have.

I was planning on buying a ruler's memoria playset, but mmm... Yeah, I think I'm buying a Vingolf 2.

Ok I just bought the memorias and the box. I'm weak.

No you're practical. Duals are worth the box by themselves.

Cheshire had a big price drop, why? It's because wanderer format?

Yep, when I saw they were going to include them again for Vingolf 2, I knew I had to pick up two of the packs. Those stones are just way too handy, and it's also nice having access to them again for the upcoming rotation, at least you should be able to, I think.

Anyways, have plenty of extras like the Memorias and Stones are always good buys. I mean really, there's not too much else that costs quite a bit of money to purchase singles of, so it's a really good investment and gives you quite a bit of freedom for deck building.

Yep, pretty much. Rotation is in a little over a month for almost everything, with things like the AGP, I believe, already having moved to just Alice Cluster only. So it really cuts out the use for it when it's not legal and such. Though the Cat is coming back, it looks like the role will just a bit different.

Post dicks

Can someone tell me what does Vingolf 2 contains? What exactly it contains

There's quite a bit, so this will make it a bit easier.

force-of-will-tcg.wikia.com/wiki/Vingolf_2:_Valkyria_Chronicles

Not that it matters, but the fun little thing they did is all the basic will stones they included in that set are all the ones only released in the Valhalla Cluster, which never came out in the U.S.

13/16 playing stealth reflect in nationals today.

Really? Got a list/place to find out more?

mi trying to find them also, 1 person was playing knights which is what im more interested in

I really hope Jordan isn't blowing hot air when he said the new Rulers will be a good counter to R/R, because having this sheer amount of them in ANY top spot is really discouraging.

What you can pull from the bonus card pack tho

The same cards included, just foils.

No-Pants Catperson in Attack Mode, the most elusive of FoW cards.

People seemed pretty convinced it was going to be a reprint, so it was amusing to hear Jordan say it's something completely different. I just hope that the new meta changes in September with the Lapis Cluster, because seeing/playing nearly the same R/R decks week after week just wears on me anymore.

We should do something to make this thread feel alive.
Well, there are no shitposters, that has to be something good

There's not a huge interest for FoW on here in the first place, so the thread lasting this long is nice to see. It'll probably start gaining a little more life when we get more and more Lapis Cluster spoilers and such, but probably not too much till actual release in the beginning of September.

This game is weeb bait, the decent kind of weeb bait. Not like Weiss Schwarz.

>Weiss Schwarz.
Is that big in the West?

It's big in south california and north baja california. But that's because there's a lot of waifufags here, at least in my lgs.

Also I fucking love this game. I wonder if I'm getting banned for posting this.

I've never seen anyone play it. Too many sets are based on obscure shows (In the west).

I've seen one place around me that actually sells that game, but they also try to have a lot of the waifu bits in a store that doesn't even play anything other than Smash and MTG.

Man, I wish people at my LGS played this

I looked on the official site for places around me that hole tournaments for the game, then I spent a little time calling them and asking which shop still actually holds events and how many people show up to them. Takes a bit researching, but it did lead me to finding one that does get around 9-20 people a week. I know not everyone is that lucky, but it's still about an hour or so drive there each week, but it's worth it to play with people.

ded thread

Word of Thread: Life.

Been playing since I got the first Vingolf. Went to pick up the new one on Friday and every store either thought it came out next month or just didn't have it shipped to them yet.

New card design is interesting. Feels very clean and simple. New Light cards from today look interesting too. Not sure yet how I feel about dice being added to the rules though. Also feels a bit like FoW is getting some keyword bloat. Still, excited for new Fire cards whatever they may be.

Also feel like mentioning that I started playing Weiss Schwarz with a friend too. Very fun and interesting gameplay.

Just got the vingolf box to try out the game. Got the Valkyria Chronicles box because I absolutely needed that as well.

How balanced is this game? I looked online for netdecks to get me started and they look like they're all over the place. Can you pretty much be competitive with anything you throw together, or do most players netdeck the big decks since it's so cheap to do so?

Also, do you think I could be competitive just using the Valkyria Chronicles cards and starting with Lapis from there, or will this be like mtg and I'll suck just by not having older cards?

I'd say the best explanation is that it's basically Hearthstone, but you can choose to turn your character into a creature instead of gaining mana that turn as well as attacking with it instead of gaining mana from then on.

Only big diffetence from there is that blocking taps your creatures, and the only attackable targets are tapped creatures and tapped rulers along with the player.

ive heard the mechanics in FoW are pretty good, but i really can't give a shit about another ccg anymore, esp not a weebshit one.

how popular is this anyway? is it ded already, like vanguard?

Last I hard it was the #4 TCG (In the US), behind MTG, Pokemon, and Yugioh's shambling corpse. The question is how long it can hold on to that title.

At least its big enough to have packs and decks in some big box stores.

VC3 was love, shame the series died after it.

Growing popularity, but only because people seem to slowly gain interest on their own. The actual company does very little to push itself in the west.

Also, not all of the cards are anime style.

Well it is a Collectors Edition novelty set.

Shouldn't have released them on PSP.

It was the PSP or nothing.

>Well it is a Collectors Edition novelty set.

More like a tie-in product to hopefully gain new fans through it. The cards themselves and the fact you get 5 decks out of the box is a really good starter pack for FoW.

>Also, not all of the cards are anime style.

Then there's some that you can't even describe.

New things.

Gretel is fat

>The shit cards themselves and the fact you get 5 shit decks out of the box is a really meh starter pack for FoW.
FIFY