What does Veeky Forums think of picture related?

What does Veeky Forums think of picture related?
How would you make a game based on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

fanfiction.net/s/7832868/1/An-Unexpected-Turn-of-Events
audiofic.jinjurly.com/unexpected-turn-of-events
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It has cute fairies.

You could probably modify shadow run to play it if you take out the decking aspect and tone down the cybernetic limbs.

It's be easier to homebrew it entirely though I feel and make a generic system which lets you play either humans trying to raid the fairies or fairy tactical squads taking humans down.

That's only based on what i remember of the first book though, I outgrew it by the time it finished so i dunno what changes if any happened in the setting.

The series was decent up to fourth book, then it started to go bonkers, with shit like "dude, deamons" time travel, and increasing shipping between holly and artemis.

There were more than 4 books? I read the first one, thought it was pretty fun, but didn't continue, like that other user I kind of outgrew it. But I thought there was just a second one, like ice or something, or maybe just a blue cover.

They were fun YA fiction back in the day. They don't exactly hold up, but they're good for their target audience, and I think the setting could be pretty interesting for an RPG.

It also drops what little subtlety it had regarding the environmental issues.

It's not quite sword of truth tier, but it's getting there

Jesus the art in the graphic novels looks atrocious

>PCs have shared backstory.png
But seriously,
are both accurate. I outgrew them by the Opal Complex or whatever and then checked in to see if the later books held up decently. They didn't.
The idea of people living underground being the origin of fairies and leprechauns is pretty good setting-making material.
If you filed off the serials and attached it to a modern fantasy system with some cybernetics and supertech, it might work.

Well, they aren't really people as in humans. They are underground because humans forced them there a few thousand years ago after a particularly disastrous battle. It's implied and I think confirmed in the last book (which I can't bring myself to read now) that humans used to be able to use magic and were considered part of the People until they lost their connection to nature, but in modern times they just outnumber the fairies by several orders of magnitude so no one thinks a war is viable

The setting could have honestly been interesting if it was developed more

There was no subtlety to the environmentalist wank since the second book.

Acquired taste
I find holly super adorable in the comics.

This image makes her look pretty cute, actually.

Why do you just have pictures of crying fae women?

...Virt? That you?

Because

There are 8 books, 6 of which I personally have read, 4 of which I consider actually good.

Artemis Fowl
>12 year old criminal genius captures a fairy to get their fairy gold.

AF: Arctic Incident
>the same criminal genius tries to track down his father who is captured by ruskie mob, while fairies deal with goblin rebellion, which they think Artemis is involved with. Shenanigans ensues. In truth, the rebellion is orchestrated by a pixie genius Opal Koboi.

AF: Eternity Code
>Artemis uses the fairy tech to make a super computer, but messes with the wrong people, that gets that super computer stolen, and puts the whole world at risk due to the computer having the potential to reveal the existence of fairies. Artemis cooks up a daring heist with his fairy friends to get the computer back.

AF: Opal Deception
>Opal Koboi is back with vengeance, shenanigans ensues. The last good book in the series.

AF: The Lost Colony
>dude, demons

AF: Time Paradox
>dude, time travel, also Holly x Artemis shipping bait.

AF: Atlantis complex
>no clue, I haven't read it

>AF: Last guardian
>same as above.

Yeah that's pretty much how it is.

The Lost Colony is passable if only for its first and last hundred pages, but everything in between is a terrible slog.

After that...things get stupid with the asspull shenanigans in order to continue to up the stakes, and Opal becomes pretty much the laughing saturday morning cartoon and over saturates the last two.

That mary sue chick in Lost Colony ruined the book for me.
I hated that cunt so much.

Despite the fact that she never comes back, the books don't get better.

Minerva was like a brattier Artemis without five years of character development.

Didn't she come back in the later books?

We see her in the shower in the previous book.

And we see her cleavage twice in the second one.
The artist is french.

God bless the french.

Somebody just storytimed all of the graphic novels on /co/. Many screencaps were taken.

Thank god no.

>pixies are described as having childlike bodies.

Maybe that's childlike for France, you don't know.

I don't believe that.

Christ the art is raping my childhood. Leave it alone you bastard!

The smug is real. I found the first graphic novel in a bargain bin for something like $3 canadian. Acquired taste sums it up pretty well, and I find you have to keep acquiring it as you read. It goes from 'god, that's horrible', to 'that's actually not bad', right back to 'fuck no'. Books were some of my favourites back in the day, but it feels like they become less fun the harder it is to self-insert as Artemis. Still, neat world-building.

I wanted to fuck Holly since book one.

I will never get over that Holly and Artemis never sacked up.

I guess that's what Fanfiction is for.

Holly is top fucking tier waifu and anyone who says otherwise is wrong

It was pretty much they did, but Whoops can't put that in a young adult novel!

It was honestly a pretty fun series. Preferred Darren Shan. It's manga had better art too.

>same height

Did anyone else imagine Butler as agent 47?

Link?

>How would you make a game based on it?
Base the plot of the game on a heist of some sort, which the players having certain abilities dictate their usefulness. Probably Shadowrun is the best system for that.
The Eternity Code was pure Ocean's Eleven material and is a good template

You liked the threads on /co/ and you wanted to bring them here, didn't you?

Shes standing on a step stoll.

Someone wrote a very long erotic fanfiction set after The Lost Colony
then someone did an audio reading of it. It was like 40 hours.
I listened to it while playing Civ5
Good times.

>very long erotic fanfiction set after The Lost Colony
I really wanna read this. I need it. Please, user. Link?

Go to /co/ archive
search fowl
results

Read this when I was wee lil teenager

My only thought after reading the series: 'did they fuck?'

series ends with the them standing in a field of roses or something

draw your own conclusions

You're gonna have to link that now you know.

fanfiction.net/s/7832868/1/An-Unexpected-Turn-of-Events

Have fun, user

>200k word novel
Oh my fucking god.

Yes.

You can always tell the gutter plebs who haven't read or looked at any art besides Frazetti, HR Giger and Magic the Gathering cards when their first post is 'JESUS THE ART IS HORRIBLE'. At this point I really ought to set up a filter for you trash, it's almost too difficult to share a board with you.

Oh yeah, that one. It's good, but it also has two things I cannot absolutely stand about fan-fiction.

Pacing and hand-waving the restraints of the relationship

Literally in around five months time they do the entire Good-Life reel of family memories. The author also hangs a poor lampshade on all the issues their relationship would have with good ole 'unexplained magic solves it all'

Which, if you're writing cute loving fan fiction. I suppose isn't a big issue.

Havn't read Last guardian, but Atlantis Complete is basically, Root has evil brother complete with gotee, he gets sick of Opal Koboi this, Opal Koboi. Then kills pretty much everyone because rocks fall. Literally.

Better than some of the other Artemis Fowl fanfiction.

Oh yeah, totally. Better than 90% by far. Its just personal pet peeves when instead of dealing with the relationship as is authors twist it into this perfect loving family that lives forever in a mundane bliss.

Also poor trouble gets the short end of the stick for being the ONLY other male character interested in Holly. Which makes him the antagonist for every love story despite him being a chill dude who loves his brother.

Am I the only one who liked her appearance in book five? I always found her "female Artemis, just with less complete information and surrounded by less competent people" to be particularly appealing.

If nothing else watching Artemis struggle with puberty was fun.

Add 'and somehow Opal is behind it' to Time Paradox and Last Guardian.

If she WASN"T just 'Female Italian Artemis' I would have enjoyed her a lot more. But she didn't add anything we haven't seen before.

He has to kill her to protect the United States' reputation?

I didn't mind Minerva. I think Artemis even asks if he was as insuffrable as she is when he was younger. You can imagine the answer.
And exploding Krakens to Time Paradox.
Female French Artemis actually.

I'm all for an overly happy ending for Artemis and Holly. If anyone deserves it, its those two.
But that fic knocks it up to 11. And Trouble does get the shaft. A lot.
Part of me wishes Eoin would write another book that just focuses on Artemis rebuilding his memories and (re)developing his relationship with Holly. I know that will never happen, and if it did, fans would cry bloody murder for it not being an action packed sci fi fantasy adventure.
But I like to dream.

That was kind of the point of her character, though, to have Artemis after four books of character development go up against himself from the first book. I personally found it playing off very well because it highlights how much Artemis has changed over the past five books while still being an arrogant brat.

no. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Personally I think it would be better for him if he were to focus his attention on some of his other properties, like that teenage detective series talent ended on a perfect sequel hook that never got picked up on.

I dunno if you've noticed, but the Artemis series has been rolling downhill for awhile now.

Where's the audio reading?

I agree on that note. After the Opal Deception I feel Eoin really lost the spark to write caper and heist sci-fantasy.

it ends off with her narrating the first words of the first book. i know i already spoiled a lot already, but i dont want to explain why he cant kill her at that point. youll just have to read the entire series to find out. also, to the idiots who say that the demon and time travel stuff is stupid, it ties in to the last 2 books, along with the final battle. lore-wise, too

>After the Opal Deception I feel Eoin really lost the spark to write caper and heist sci-fantasy.
Yeah, pretty much.

But it was a hell of a ride. I still reread the good ones from time to time, they're that good.

audiofic.jinjurly.com/unexpected-turn-of-events
Have fun with this

I liked the last few books. They weren't great.
You could even say they jumped the shark.
But at least it was interesting.

Well, I'm in the minority here, but I think the fifth still works as a Sci fantasy caper novel.

It's also the last novel in which hrs tried anything new, books six to eight feels like he's just writing the books to pay the bills and started catering heavily to the tumblr shipping crowd because they are a reliable income source.

My issue with the fifth is that the middle is just a slog!

The first one hundred pages and the last are really enjoyable, and N*1 is a fun addition. But it's pretty much the deathknell of Artemis Fowl as a series. Like it's fun, bit its like the sign of the worsening novels.

Saved

I know, I was making a vidya joke.

Oh, man, I loved that series when I was younger. I stopped after the Time Paradox, which is apparently not that uncommon.

Although frankly, the thing that stuck with me most was from the first book.

Butler Vs Troll, Round 2. The original Butlering.

aw man, i love reading that part when im rereading the first few books

okay how the fuck is alfred kicking Supe's arse?

super power pills + righteous anger

The power of awesome. And drugs that temporarily grant Kryptonian grade super strength.

super pills.

Well, I personally never has that issue. I actually quite liked the middle section, because to me it feels like it captures the best parts of the eternity code heist portions with the added bonus of the main antagonist being an enjoyable foil to Artemis.

Also the bit where peacock hair and his gang fighting against holly and Butler over the demon circle statues is a fun read.

Nanomachines, son.

Oh I was kinda hoping for Alfred to be a closet kryptonian or somethingand and I thought it would be kryptonite.

The best part of Atlantis Complex was Orion. He was the fucking best and my nigga.

Butler was definitely one of my favorite parts of that entire series.

I am convinced that someone stole the footage the LEP caught of that fight and sold it to the fairies equivalent of Hollywood.

I think that was Foaly.

They do have a fairy Hollywood. I vividly remember in like, book 3 or 4 they mention that they are making a movie of the events of book 2 (I think) and using CGI to make Artemis because, ya know, hes a human.

That actually happened.

It was Foaly

What a hero

>being this triggered

One of the best parts of the graphic novel

Speaking of making a game out of young adult books

Has anyone ever made a game out of Hunger Games?
I'm not going to argue about the quality of the books them selves, but the setting in and of it self is fairly interesting.
Anyone?

That is the greatest thing ever.
Thank you.

Edit-user may not have the best tools, but he's a credit to us all.

>tfw X gonna give it to ya

One of the greatest sins of the later books was the underutilization of Juliet.

The fact that Juliet never got to RKO a villain is a travesty.

These made my evening, post more if you have them please.